2XIPA - Southern Tier Brewing Company

2XIPA2XIPA

Southern Tier Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

(Beer added by: mcallister on 04-28-2010)

3.35/5  rDev -16.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

I picked up a bottle of Southern Tier's 2XIPA last week for $1.89 at The Lager Mill. It's another unseasonably warm day and I am craving something hoppy, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date. Poured from a brown 12 bottle into a imperial pint glass.

A- The label looks good and it has some information on it. It poured a nice golden orange color that looked pretty good and it had two and half fingers worth of fluffy white head that died down to a thin layer that stayed till the end and left some lacing. The is a good looking beer, the color and head were both very good.

S- The aroma of this beer is dominated by citrus hops, grapefruit, blood orange, and pineapple stick out the most and they impart a nice citrus fruit aroma. I also get some malty aromas along with some earthy and piney hop aromas but they are pretty light and overpowered by the citrus hops. This was pretty good smelling beer that was all about the citrus hops.

T- This is one intense tasting DIPA that feels more balanced in the taste then it was with the aroma. It starts off with a light malty, grainy, and slightly biscuity flavors that is quickly overshadowed by the large amount of hops in this brew, which impart citrus hops at first, with an equal amount piney hops after that. It had a pretty high amount of bitterness on the finish with a little bit of slightly warming alcohol and a piney and citrus hop aftertaste. This beer tasted good, but I wish more citrus hops made their way to the aroma.

M- Somewhat smooth, on the thick side of being medium bodied, with a good amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel is good and it works well with this beer.

Overall I liked this beer and I thought it was a good example of an DIPA. The flavor and bitterness were pretty intense, but this DIPA, it should be intense, nothing tame about this beer. This beer had ok drinkability but I think one would be enough for me, the intensity and bitterness of this beer would start to ware one me. What I liked most about this beer was the appearance and the aroma, they were both pretty damn good. What I liked least about this beer was the lighter citrus flavors, if it got a little more grapefruit, blood orange, and pineapple in the taste it would be an excellent beer. I would buy this beer again when looking for a good and affordable DIPA, and I recommend it to anyone that is a fan of the style. This was the first beer that I liked and thought was good from Southern Tier, this makes up for their lackluster Porter and I will be on the search for more ber from this brewery. Good job guys this is a solid DIPA.

Update 2013 After having many different DIPA's I find this one to be just a little above average and I adjusted my rating accordingly.

3.75/5  rDev -6.9%

4.48/5  rDev +11.2%

pours a standard golden color with a medium head, at first glance it is hard to see that it is a double IPA, most have a huge head and a bit darker in color. Same with the lacing, it doesn't lace as much as other IPA's. Smell is a normal double IPA, has wonderful piney hop aroma that is hard to beat. Taste is wonderful, has a full hop flavor, lots of bitterness but not overpowering but close, a tangy after taste is present as well. Mouthfeel is full, robust and above average. Overall a very good IPA.

3.95/5  rDev -2%

Poured into a Gulden Draak tulip. Pours a medium orange-yellow amber. Thin persistant head that leaves light lacing. Light aroma of floral hops and light malt. Nice sweet and caramel malt with floral and not too herbal hops. The typical grapefruit part of the flavor is closer to an orange citrus flavor. Malt body has a sweet fruit or nectar component. Not as hop forward as other DIPAs, but makes up for it with a quite different and pleasant malt backbone. Enjoyable and a definate repeat IPA.

4.05/5  rDev +0.5%

12 oz. bottle poured into a standard pint glass. Printed DOB 2/16/12.

A - Pours an extremely clear pale orange with a white head. The head recedes leaving a lasting halo and decent lacing.

S - Strong citrus and fruit smell of lemon, apricot, and grapefruit. There is a bit of bready malt and a nice aromatic hop presence.

T - Great citrus flavors combined with sweet malt. There is a bitterness throughout that balances, but does not overpower. Clean finish leaves a sweet, orange malty taste in my mouth.

M - Medium bodied with moderate carbonation.

O - Very good DIPA from Southern Tier. Very citrusy and sweet with just enough bitterness to balance. The 8.2% is totally masked and this is very easy drinking. I will definitely get this again.

3.75/5  rDev -6.9%

3.78/5  rDev -6.2%

Southern Tier 2XIPA
12oz bottle poured into a snifter
DOB 1/13/12

A: Pours a translucent light amber, with an almost yellow hue, and 1/2 fingers of sea foam white colored head, which very quickly dissipates down to only a slight outer ring, and leaves some very slight lacing.

S: Some citrusy hops, grapefruit and lemon zest, a pretty big alcohol presence, and you're all going to think I'm crazy but I swear there is an aroma of raw hamburger.  I'm trying to run through my mind what other aroma it could be, but I can't get past it.   It smells like a hamburger right before you put it on the grill (and no I'm not eating).  Maybe I need to see a psychiatrist.  Needless to say the aroma doesn't do much for me.

T: A unique flavor profile.  Flavors of mango, a hint of banana, some piney bitterness on the backed. There is an earthy/floral presence as well. Leaves a nice lingering aftertaste, again of banana, but not like the Belgium yeast banana aftertaste, this is different.  Pretty good, but I'm not blown away.

M/D: Incredibly smooth, with a moderate to heavy body, coats the palate nicely, then quickly finishes dry, urging you to take the next sip.  Appropriately low carbonation, no hint of the ABV, and very easy to drink.  Perfect.

O: This was an interesting brew for me.  I think Southern Tier is a great brewery, and DIPAs are my favorite style, but this one doesn't really do it for me.  I wouldn't turn it down if it were handed to be, don't I don't plan on buying this one again.

2XIPA from Southern Tier Brewing Company