2XIPA - Southern Tier Brewing Company

2XIPA2XIPA

Southern Tier Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

Beer added by: mcallister on 04-28-2010

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 3,987 | Reviews: 1,000

3.5/5  rDev -13.2%

3.25/5  rDev -19.4%

3.88/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: pours a 3" fluffy white head that recedes slowly with significant lacing. Color is deep golden and mostly clear, but there is a tiny bit of sediment present. Carbonation is heavy.
Aroma: heavy citrus presence -- orange, tangerine, and grapefruit. There is also some mild malt sweetness.
Mouthfeel: medium bodied and sticky with a mostly dry finish.
Flavor: echoes the aroma. The citrus hops are powerful throughout the taste but there is some pleasant malt sweetness in the middle and finish.

3.75/5  rDev -6.9%

3.25/5  rDev -19.4%

3.5/5  rDev -13.2%

4.43/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Southern Tier makes some of my favorite stouts. Have yet to try their IPA until right now. As I write this review is THE first time I'm trying it. Dogfish Head is usually my go-to for IPA's.

Look: Golden yellow, not clear. Has a hazy look to it. About one finger of fluffy head. Leaves good lacing as the beer is drank.

Smell: Flowers, grassy, sweet citrus, hops. Pretty standard for an IPA.

Taste: Grapefruit, somewhat lemony. Definitely has a hoppy finish, but it's not overpowering. I like it that way. One of the better IPA's I've had. This is how I want an IPA to taste.

Mouthfeel: Pretty light-medium bodied. Easy drinking. I'm already half way through the glass in a matter of minutes.

Overall: I'm not really an IPA kind of guy. I like some, but I've had a lot of highly regarded IPA's that I absolutely hated. I don't review them because I feel in order to review a beer, I need to get through a full glass. And some IPA's, I just can't. They taste like I'm drinking soap. But the 2XIPA isn't that way. It has a nice sweet blend to ease the bitter hops. It rivals DFH 90 minute. I would definitely drink more 2XIPA, and may go down as one of the great IPA's, as far as I'm concerned.

3.28/5  rDev -18.6%

4.25/5  rDev +5.5%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
2XIPA from Southern Tier Brewing Company