2XIPA - Southern Tier Brewing Company

New York, United States

Beer added by: mcallister on 04-28-2010

Reviews: 1,011 | Hads: 4,248
3.08/5  rDev -23.2%

Pours out looking lighter than expected, gold to yellow in appearance, .5" head on it, white in color, lacing not spectacular, but adequate. Aroma, lays some Simcoe down, but really not aromatic, pungent or anything special. Couldn't even tell if it was dry hopped at all.

Taste, again, decent, hides alcohol well, but the hops didn't really lend much in the way of flavor, just some bitterness. I liked the minimal malt bill, didn't get in the way, and still the hops just didn't really lend anything to the flavor, just the bitterness.

It finishes kind of dry, but its really ho hum. Easy enough to drink, and no aspect of it fails, but for being a Southern Tier beer, I had way higher expectations. I have no idea how old the bottles were since it was acquired in a trade, so I would revisit, but ultimately, its not my fault the brewery doesn't bottle date.

Live review.

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass. The bottle has no visible freshness date.

Pours a very clear pale almost urine like yellow color. It gets about an inch worth of head, but it quickly dies down and leaves minimal lacing. A small amount of carbonation is visible.

The nose is quite underwhelming. A bit of citrus and some malt, but that's pretty much it. I was expecting a lot more out of this.

Taste is about as impressive as the nose. Not a lot of hop character comes through ... seeing as this beer is called 2XIPA I was expecting a kick. There is a slightly sweet quality that opens up as the beer warms up.

Mouthfeel is mid to light bodied with a fairly bitter finish. Has a water-like quality and not a lot of chewy-ness. This scores some drinkability points, but it isn't what I expect from an imperial IPA.

This a really drinkable double IPA. If you had blindly put this beer down in front of me I would have guessed it was just a standard IPA ... there are many other options out there that are better examples of the style.

3.08/5  rDev -23.2%

A: It's crystal clear with a nice medium amber color. The head is pretty minimal and it looks pretty light on carbonation.

S: It has a bit of citrus and a little pine in the hop character. I can smell the malt a bit. It's a pretty mellow scent though, and really not what I expected from a 2XIPA...it should have 2x the scent!

T: It's pretty mellow. I honestly can't believe this is 8.2%abv...it's amazing how well they can hide it in this light bodied beer. The hop bitterness is pretty low...seems more in line with a standard IPA. There isn't much hop character other than standard bitterness.

M: The mouthfeel is played back a bit too much. This is probably the carbonation because it doesn't have enough *zing* to it. The bitterness is nice. Overall it's about average for an IPA...

O: Overall it's a good beer. I really like it as an IPA and I guess you could call it imperial by the alcohol volume. I would have liked more hop aroma and some non-bittering hop flavor. I didn't get the citrus hop flavor I smelled. I would drink it again, mostly because it's one of the few ST IPAs that I can get in a regular sized bottle...and it has a decent price tag. It's not my favorite of their IPAs though.

3.09/5  rDev -22.9%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a pint glass, not dated as far as I can tell.

Appearance - Very clear light orange/yellow, small one finger white head that dissipates partially rather quickly. I like my ipas hazy. 3/5

Smell - Reminds me a bit of HOTD Blue Dot. Mostly citrus and pineapple, with a good amount of sweetness. Not getting any pine. 4/5

Taste- Some hops and somewhat lightly toasted malt flavors coming out in the beginning, finishing with straight up hop bitterness and astringency. There's some pine in the taste.

Mouthfeel- Carbonation is right on I'd say, and it's a good consistency, but it's very drying and astringent. Not exactly refreshing.

Drinkability- The ABV is undetectable, but the astringency is a bit annoying. 2.5/5

3.09/5  rDev -22.9%

Hop hazed, pale golden colour with a moderate sized white head. Good head retention and nice lacing.

Where is the aroma? There is a bit of pine, some mild lemon notes and then lots of dry malt. For an IPA, yet alone a double IPA, this is a disappointment.

Malty in a clean yet subtly sweet way. Mild bitterness. Slightly tea like with a mild resinous hop character. Nothing like a hoppy beer should be. Not bad, but not at all as described.

Medium body with moderate to moderately-low carbonation. Smooth and silky. Delightful.

A beer with lots of promise. The appearance and mouthfeel are very, very good and the way the alcohol is hidden is impressive. All this needs is some hops - and lots of them.

3.1/5  rDev -22.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Pours a yellow hazy color with minimal head and fast dissipating lacing. Smell is nothing special at all, mild hops, not much of the Cs that provide the usual extreme citrus aroma in most 2IPAS, not appealing to me. Taste is mostly of malt, pretty bitter, but not much of any others coming through, a medicinal flavor actually not very well. Mouthfeel is typical of an IPA, slightly more carbonated. Overall nothing special escprixally not what u was hoping compared to some of their others I've had. 3/5

3.1/5  rDev -22.7%

This was a pretty decent DIPA. It had a nice pine and bitter hop taste. It was a decent color and smelled pretty hoppy. The taste was kind of average for a double IPA. It was good, but it didn't really stand out too much. the mouthfeel was smooth and medium bodied. These were very drinkable, but if I was in the mood for a double IPA i would probably be looking for something a little more extreme. Still a good brew though.

3.12/5  rDev -22.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

To piney, too bitter, not enough here. Feels like they added a ton of hops to the boil and they lost everything you really want because of it. Not my favorite by S. Tier, the one that i give out from their 12 pack. Eh

3.12/5  rDev -22.2%

A- Pours a clear dark yellow liquid with a thin and creamy bone white head that leaves some nice lacing. Not much carbonated activity going on.

S- Pine, citrus rind, and caramel. A bit simple and a touch boozy.

T- Pine, mint, citrus, and caramel. Simple.

M- A bit oily and smooth with a drying and numbing finish. A bit thin.

O- A fairly average double IPA with a surprisingly apparent alcohol content for the ABV.

3.13/5  rDev -21.9%

Appearance: orangish bordering amber, pretty clear, slight white foam

Smell: pretty average, not overly hoppy compared to other DIPAs, not sweet or anything

Taste: bland flavor for a DIPA in my opinion, not impressively hoppy, pretty run of the mill

Mouthfeel: more watery than I expected, light bodied, moderate to high carbonation

Drinkability: not the most drinkable of DIPAs, didn't really have good flavor or smell that great, is pretty watery as well

I was disappointed with this one, it was atypical of Southern Tier.

3.13/5  rDev -21.9%

It pours a light yellow hue with average carbonation that leaves behind a fast vanishing one finger head and hardly any lacing at all,the smell is abit of pine,some pineapple and citrus,the mouthfeel is very light bodied and averagely carbonated and has tastes of mango,pineapple,lychee,light toffee and finishes with a bitter lemon,pine finish and to be honest id probably would not revisit anytime soon as its not that interesting and not that true to the style i mean its easy enough to drink with its light body but thats it for me.

Pour from 12 oz bottle.

A: Light golden color, fairly clear. marginal head

S: powerful hops, candy smell

T: hops noticeable at first, then strong alcohol favor

M: carbonation not strong.

Overall not my favorite - though after i purchased the bottle, i noticed it was about 10 months old, so not the freshest bottle.

3.14/5  rDev -21.7%

A: Served a clear gold and is topped by a wispy head that soon dissipates into nothingness. No lacing whatsoever.

S: Hops are noticeable in the nose and that's pretty much it. Maybe a slight fruitiness. Nothing remarkable here.

T: Dull hops slight biscuity malt presence. Flat out average nothing exemplary.

MF: Very smooth perfect carbonation.

Nothing horrible but nothing I would ever go out of my way to buy as a bottle or drink on tap.

3.15/5  rDev -21.4%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

This pours rich clear yellow-gold with fairly large bubbles, minimal head.

Smells a bit off to me, skunk like, at least cold out of the bottle. Born less than 4 months ago and not in the light, but some beers just come off odd to me, my smeller picks up odd things. As it warmed it smelled better, floral and citrus, perhaps grapefruit.

taste is mostly hoppy - pine, and lemon peel. It has some sweet syrupy backbone I do enjoy, maple like but not really, and it is real subtle.

Mouthfeel isn't bad, the syrupy heft is nice and the bubbles provide a decent mouthfeel.

Overall, this is great if you are looking for over the top pine and hop. I guess if you are reaching for a 2xIPA that is what you are looking for. I just thought the type of bitter was a bit too sharp, not quite the aggressiveness I would be looking for. The odd nose put me off, but I was able to drink through that.

3.16/5  rDev -21.2%

A: A hazy dingy yellow with a full 2 fingers of white head.

S: Some residual sweetness, a bit of caramel, and some nice leafy hops. Notes of citrus and pine.

T: Leafy hops at first with a bit of a bitter kick. Some carmel sweetness in there as well as almost a very slight, but perceptible musty flavor.

M: Medium light in body, fairly high level of carbonation.

D: Not sure if this has been sitting on a shelf for a while or not, since I can't find a bottled on date. But in general I am not really impressed with this one.

3.2/5  rDev -20.2%

A - It pours a shockingly translucent golden straw hue, capped with a fizzy, short-lived head. If I had to wager what style it was based on looks alone, I would probably guess it to be Adjunct Lager, Malt Liquor, or California Common/Steam. Such an appearance is not what I expect or enjoy in a DIPA.

S - The aroma is decent, relying on a lemon-y, floral and slightly catty hop profile. Malt and/or alcohol are not apparent in the olfactory character.

T - It tastes pretty good, I must say, especially in recognition of the somewhat less-than-impressive look and smell. The malt is very light, so much so that I can't really discern any significant characteristics from it, only that it is pale to the point of invisibility. As for the hoppiness, well, that is all this brew has. Notes of lemon, cannabis, floral - jasmine and orange blossom - and a general earthy bitterness are the mainstay. These notes are not very sharp nor sublime, however, and thereby continues the march of ST 2XIPA toward outright banality.

M - IPA. Not even DIPA. Underwhelmed.

D - This beer could be thought of as the East Coast's version of Hop Stoopid. Take that FWIW.

3.2/5  rDev -20.2%

On-Tap at Whole Foods in a pint glass. Glad to find this as is besides a oldish bottle.

Southern Tier 2XIPA pours out a bright golden yellow color but surprisingly not even a little foam on top, just some miniscule bubbles, so no lace. Pretty still beer but a nice shade to it.

Smells malty and screams East Coast. There is a small portion of grapefruit and other tropics but that sweet malt overshadows anything there. A small amount of alcohol though. For what it's worth there is no grassy scents.

And it goes to show that the east does not compare in this category. This is malt forward with some sweet bubblegum and sweet bready malt. Mixed in some tropics, grapefruit, slight orange. A bit of alc in the end and a lingering sweetness.

Not all that bitter, in fact it's not bitter at all. I need some bite here. A big medium body that lightly coats and stings on the end with the alc. I figured this would have some edge off the tap, naw pretty tame.

Glad I tried this off the tap than risking a bottle. It's far from my least favorite DIPA (stoudt's DIPA) but it's not in the same league as others. With so many choices in this category I can say Im starting to really notice the lacking ones here and there.

3.2/5  rDev -20.2%

Poured from bottle dated 8/12/11 into a SA perfect pint glass.

A- Pours a gold hue from bottle and sits a transparent bright brass in glass. A paper white head forms before quickly reducing to a ring with some filmy bubbles.

S= Bright hops (grapefruit) with a slight light caramel behind. Clean and fresh. Simple.

T- Bold crisp hops upfront that leads into a large bitterness citrus rind with spicy hops. Watery pineapple and an odd slightly off note in the mid. Some alc burn? Malt bill is very thin and similar to peppered water crackers. Kinda watery as it warms.

M- Light- Medium bodied for the style. Pretty crisp. Stays wet through taste. Some alc burn detected on palate, perhaps since body so light? Bitterness does linger on palate pretty well.

O- A clean simple DIPA, but nothing special. Pretty light and watery for the style. Easy to drink. Closer to an IPA then a DIPA in every way.

3.2/5  rDev -20.2%

A- a deep gold beer. Clear with a small white head that quickly dissapears into the beer but leaves a little bit to cling to the side of the glass.

S- slightly muted for a double ipa, I feel like. I get light, honey malt with lemony hop aroma. Could be a little more "there".

T- pungent hops hit the tongue right away. Sweet malt quickly follows then finishes with a grainy, cereal flavor.

M- lighter bodied with carbonation on the heavier side. Enjoyable and effervescent.

O- I would call this a more aggresive ipa. The majority of true double ipa's have a significant amount of flavor, this one lacks the punch. It has a very clean, citrusy NW hop and light malt flavor, but is prob not what id reach for if I wanted a palate bomb ipa. Enjoyable but not one of my fav's.

3.21/5  rDev -20%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Bottled 1-16-14, so there is that to consider.

Not really a lot going on here, my peeps. And when I say, "not a lot," I almost mean nothing at all. Woo Doggy. This sucker has decent reviews so Raul is assuming that this bad boi spoils quicker than a big stick in the sun. Minimal aroma, like walking down the citrus aisle at the .99 cent store - yeah, not much. Taste? Where? Been missing longer than Amelia Earhart...

Of course the main man would like to get his 2x on fresh, but as for now it's a pass.

3.23/5  rDev -19.5%

Wow, 2XIPA I think Rogue went with ISquared symbol PA early in the concept of DIPAs, I guess a simple 2XIPA is hoppy but not compared to the exponential version that Rogue claimed. I'm kidding this beer pours a pale golden crystal clear hue, what's going on here. big white head forms thick in my bulbous chalice. Fine even lacing is laced around the edges of the glass. Aroma is a bit onion/garlic inspired for me, a spicy vegetable green character. Yes sugar wraps around that hop character but what does that do for me. Again a nice sweetness but the hop flavors are onion/garlic vegetable tones what the hell is up with this hop fad. This is no OG Unearthly IPA, but it's a beer they're going to put out in 12 ounce bottles. Mouhtfeel is soft carbonated medium bodied sugary estered hops it makes hops taste like dessert too unbalanced especially when you're hops taste like garlic/green onions. WTF, I want a real DIPA from one of the east coast brewers let's see who is willing to deliver.

3.23/5  rDev -19.5%

A- Pure gold with a decent white head that quickly dissipates to a wisp that leaves a touch of lace on the glass.

S- Intense, resiny hoppiness with a candied orange peel backing and a hit of alcohol.

T- A touch of sweet orange and caramel malt segues into an aspirin-like bitterness. Finishes with a good dose of alcohol and some residual sweetness.

M- On the heavy side, almost syrupy, with just enough carbonation to balance it out a little.

D- Too rich and alcoholic to drink much of. I think I'll stop at one.

Not bad, but not great either. The hop character seems a bit muted and lacking in brightness. I'm not sure how fresh this is, although if it had a "best by" date, I missed it. I may get it again if I can verify beyond a shadow of a doubt that it's fresh. Otherwise, I'll probably pass on it again.

3.25/5  rDev -19%

12 oz bottle poured into a tulip

A-- Poured a light, hazy honey yellow. Short lived white head that became film way too quickly. Good head retention but head quickly dies to film again. Spotty lacing all over the sides of the glass.

S-- Candied grapefruit and candied orange. No real pine smell to this at all. A good amount of citrus though.

T-- A whole lot of grapefruit. Just past ripeness to this. Missing pine again. Decent amount of sweetness to this as well.

M-- There is some pine in this. Finally. A fairly large pine and grapefruit finish. Just not all that fresh though. Lower carbonation and on the lighter side feel wise.

D-- Pretty early on I get the feeling this was not all that fresh.
Still pretty reasonable for what it is. Not going to rip it as will try again once Australia gets more of fresh stocks of this. Ticks a lot of boxes but nowhere near as good as PTE is.

3.25/5  rDev -19%

2Xipa pours a nice big golden color with a big lacing head. There is a very big and bold hoppy and malty aroma. The taste is big, very malty, with big hop flavors coming through too. Nice body and flavors. Overall its a bit too malty, and the hop flavor has a strange fit.

3.26/5  rDev -18.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Boy, I've been looking forward to reviewing this beer for a while. Let's get to it.

This is a pleasant beer. It is nice, non-offensive, and tasty. It's not a double IPA. Since it is aggressively labeled and marketed as such, that's how she's getting reviewed - sorry.

2XIPA is a VERY good IPA. It is a POOR Double IPA. Allow me to amend that - it's an IPA; it's NOT a DIPA.

It smells like a good IPA, but the lacks maltiness, and could use more fruiness/piney-ness.

It tastes like a good IPA, but the lacks maltiness, and could use more fruiness/piney-ness.

That's about it. Now if I were to review this beer as an IPA - I'd say something about how the pleasant, almost tropical nose is followed very closely by a similar flavor profile - but I would still mention the way there's a big empty space where the bitter juiciness of a classic IPA should be. It's just missing something - brain and my nose and my belly are all for this brew but my tongue is like 'hey guys, c'mon, I want some!'

No dice, tongue.

Good beer. OK IPA. Poor DIPA. If this is a Double, Hop Drop and Roll by NoDa should be a Double, but they had the good sense to go with American IPA. Maybe I'm placing too much emphasis on labeling and marketing but, well, I'm not - certain expectations are sold along with the beer - I paid for a DIPA and received an IPA. But maybe that's just the Associates degree in design and subsequent career in marketing talking.

Full Disclosure - I've had only 3 DIPAs, but if fully 66.6% had that special malty something, and one does not, I'm going to assume that it's missing that special flavorful something which counts for quite a bit. Further disclosure: the only other Southern Tier beer I've had is Pumpking, so maybe my expectations were a tad high.

2XIPA from Southern Tier Brewing Company