Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

2XIPA - Southern Tier Brewing Company

Avg: 4
Southern Tier Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

Beer added by: mcallister on 04-28-2010

Reviews: 1,002 | Hads: 4,203
3.27/5  rDev -18.3%

Served from a 12oz. bottle into a pint glass. DOB 11/29/2012 - This tells me it probably wasn't at its best, actually it was not very good at all

A: beautiful very clear light copper with good head and decent retention. Can read through it without problem.

S: green apples, kind of cidery smell. I was not at all expecting this. The apple covers everything.

T: apple is not there, neither cider, but it's not hoppy or malty either. Very disappointing.

M: medium light body with nice carbonation. Nothing to complain here.

O: I think this one went bad for some reason. I will be picking another bottle the first opportunity I have and will drink it right away.

3.27/5  rDev -18.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Pretty average. Thin head that quickly disappears. Slightly cloudy straw color. Very little fruit or hop presence. A little malt, a little grain, and a little bitter. Maybe a little clove? Really not much going on for a beer getting a 4+ rating on BA. I expected much more. Next please.

3.29/5  rDev -17.8%

A - An almost transparent pale yellow. Thin white head that leaves a small amount of lacing. Honestly, this looks kind of like a Bud Light.

S - All very soft aromas: grapefruit, clove, tea and some hops.

T - Tart grapefruit, again some tea and concludes with a bitter finish. There are some hops present here, but for a DIPA, I expect much more.

M - Wow this is a malty DIPA, perhaps the most malty one I have encountered. I feel this hurts the beer by taking away from the hop driven bitterness by smoothing it out too much. It drinks smooth, with a medium body and relatively low carbonation.

O - This is definitely a unique DIPA. I simply cannot be an advocate for so many malts in a beer of this type. Simply average.

3.29/5  rDev -17.8%

Reviewing this back-to-back with Southern Tier's traditional IPA. Poured into a Jackie O's pint. Come on, only THREE types of malt in this one?! (Joking, of course.)

Appearance - Definitely thicker than its slightly less alcoholic brother. More of a particle-ized head that throbs like a human heart. Craters of air holes open up rapidly in the milky-like head. Appears well-carbonated with fresh bubbles rushing to the surface. Clings heavily to the glass. Appears paler and more transparent than the S.T IPA.

Smell - Much more of a robust smell than the traditional IPA. I expect this one to grip my taste-buds a bit tighter. Succulent chords of orange, tangerine, grapefruit, and lemon peel. Smells divine.

Taste - Not as flavorful as anticipated. Much sweeter than their IPA, with more of a focus on the flavors of tangerine and nectarine. The sweetness of agave nectar meets the bitterness of the hops politely. Again, near all of the flavor is in the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel and Drinkability - My biggest complaint is the water used in the brewing process. There is something off about it; whether it it too filtered or not filtered thoroughly enough. Light to medium bodied with a bit more of a focus on sweetness this time around. The hops are fresh and delicious, thought I think I would prefer angrier doubles over this one.

3.29/5  rDev -17.8%

Thanks TheSevenDuffs! Undated 355 mL brown bottle poured into a Duvel snifter. Served out of the fridge, warmed over time...

A: Just a hint darker than straw with a minimum amount of hop haze, though I can't see through it... Even finishing my our hard though the white head comes out all macro-lager-like, disappearing quickly and leaving only the lightest touches of lacing. Disappointing start.
S: A solid nose, though not over the top hoppy. Alcoholic and vinous. Earthy and light grapuefruit hops come through with it, although it did not develop more character with temperature.
T: Really? I am disappointed massively here. A fruityiness comes across the palate with an alcoholic warmness finishing. Bread from the malt... Where are the hop flavours and biting bitterness? I feel like I've gotten more punch from some IPAs. Gravely disapointing. Not bad, but better than average? Not a hope.
M: Slight bitterness that lingers momentarily. Carbonation that is a touch too light with a beer that finishes fairly dry. Not much character to the body.
O: Wow, logging on today to review I wasn't expecting an 'A-' overall... Not strong enough (except in ABV) to be considered a DIPA from what I have had. East Coast DIPA perhaps? ;)

3.3/5  rDev -17.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

A: Pours a clear golden color with a small white head on top, very little retention with minimal lacing on the sides.

S: Decent aroma, some light pine and floral hops. There is a bit of caramel and biscuit malt underneath. Faint alcohol.

T: Not overly hoppy for a DIPA, some caramel a faint floral hops. Not a lot going on here really.

M: Medium bodied with moderate carbonation.

O: An average double IPA. Probably won't seek it out again.

3.3/5  rDev -17.5%

Pours a hazy orange color with an inch of white head that recedes semi-quickly. Sticky lacing is left in the glass after sipping. Lots of pine and flowers on the nose. Sweet saltiness up front that lingers but is followed by a balancing hop presence. didn't like the initial first sip but its getting better as I drink it.

Lots of piney hops on the back end and some citrus sweetness in the middle. Both the malts and the hops linger leaving a lot of big tastes in your mouth.

Medium bodied and full of carbonation. Overall a nice double IPA. Nothing some slightly woody tastes under my tongue oddly enough.

Well balanced and a very easy drinker, but not one of my favorites.

3.3/5  rDev -17.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

8/12/11 - Fresh to death

Clear golden light body. Clarity is superb, but it has a thin white head that dissipates within seconds. Little to no lacing. Lazy carb bubbles.

Smells inviting, but certainly not wowing. I would like more citrus and robust pine resin. Smells very clean and sexy, yet very bland and one-dimensional. I'm yearning for more of that extreme aroma that I get from Green Flash Imperial IPA.

Sweet pale grain and caramel, bitter lemon and fresh hops, pineapple highlights, and weak pine notes. The nail polish remover / chemical solvent taste is off putting and a tell tale sign of a brewery that doesn't know how to hide alcohol content in their pale beers. Too sweet/rich for a hop-centered beer and the bitterness is not smooth enough to be among the greatest DIPAs.

Mouthfeel is obstructed by the alcohol presence. It's thin, but mouthfeel is not what you think of when you taste this beer. What you think of is... "Damn, this could've tasted much better". More of a crisp dryness and more toasty grains would've made this beer better.

In conclusion, 2XIPA needs a more substantial dryhop regimen. And I'm comparing this to a non-IPA: Lagunitas A Little Sumpin' Sumpin', which shits all over this beer.

3.3/5  rDev -17.5%

Pours a clear golden with a lively white bubbly head. The aroma is sweet and super hoppy - citrus and pine. Very grapefruity. The flavor is typical hopbomb - grapefruity and sweet, though there is a strange watery thinness in the middle that is unsatisfying. The bitterness on the end is slight. The mouthfeel is weirdly thin and watery, though there is some sharp stingy bitterness deep in the throat.

3.31/5  rDev -17.3%

Light orange in color with a thin but sticky head.

Aroma: A hint of tangerine and orange rind that you have to work for. I was expecting more.

Taste: Big letdown. Where hops shine in the standard IPA, they're just there in the 2X. Maybe more malt and higher ABV obscure things a bit, but on the tongue this seems more like a pale ale than a big, ass-kicking, name-taking DIPA. There is a twinge of alcohol kick in the aftertaste, not "hot" by any means, but just enough to indicate that this isn't a pounder.

Mouthfeel is pretty smooth. Drinkability is dangerous for the ABV, a feat S.Tier always manages to pull off.

Overall, I expected this to go head to head with Torpedo. No contest, Torpedo is the better beer. I love Unearthly, I love Southern Tier IPA, but somehow 2X missed the mark. Not worth the extra cash.

3.32/5  rDev -17%

12 bottle with no date poured in to a pint glass.
A- Light orange liquid that poured with a 2 finger, medium bubbled head. Steady columns of carbonation. Head settled down to around 1/4 finger.

S- Citrus hops right when I popped the cap off. Some floral notes. Light malt notes when it warmed.

T- Very muddled and messy when first opened probably due to the temperature. Citrusy hops and light floral hops followed by toasted malts then hops. Acidic, spicy, bitter. After it warmed up a bit the flavor profile became more balanced, but I was surprised at the amount of malt flavor for a double IPA.

M- Light, smooth. Maybe a faint stickiness, but really not oily or sticky at all. Very hot at first, but that faded after awhile although the alcohol was still present.

D- It grew on me through the course of a glass, but I don't think I would drink it again. On the weaker side and a surprising amount of malt for a double IPA. I tried Captain Lawrence's Captain's Reserve IPA recently for the first time and the 2xIPA doesn't even hold a candle to the Captain's Reserve which I think is a much better example of a double IPA. A good beer, but not a great double IPA.

3.32/5  rDev -17%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

this really shouldn't be considered a double imo. just doesn't have that intensity or manliness you'd hope for in a nice double ipa. stone and founders have done much better with their doubles. not a bad beer tho. just... not perfect. southern tier has never been a favorite.

3.33/5  rDev -16.8%

Clear honey colored. A diffident bead feeds a low-slung, stained ivory head. It quickly slumps to a collar, but redeems itself a bit with filthy lacework.
Bready malts hit the nose, with some toastier notes of caramel glazed nuts. Hops arrive shortly thereafter, and bring pine tar, orange peel, and metallic bitterness. Some vapors of booze sneak in as well.
Toasty malts hit the tongue. And it lingers here in statis for a bit. It dekes towards a full malty, caramel/toffee/dark fruit/roasted nuts persona, then it spins back. Lightly sweet and bready it will remain, and it stays here through the middle, until the hops hit with pine resin, bitter florals, rusted tin, and orange zest. Booze shows up again on the finish. Not obnoxiously, but enough to let one know it's there.
Medium-full bodied, with a fleeting carbonation, that- once gone- makes it feel saggy and unkempt and unstructured.
The vague yet heavy maltiness and rusty hop aspect makes this seem less than fresh, actually it seems old, and it's not.
Simply put, it's not the worst thing in the world, but I don't like it very much, and I wouldn't buy it again. There is no pizzazz here.

3.35/5  rDev -16.3%

Pours 1/2 finger of white head. Decent retention with some lace rings. Color is a clear golden orange.

Aroma: Pine and floral hops. A bit of onion flavors. Bready malts. Pretty fresh.

Taste: A little more fruit flavors here. Still pine and floral hops. Onion flavors as well. Not to strong though. Bready malts. Not overly hoppy.

Mouthfeel: Pretty bitter. Medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. Ends pretty dry.

Overall, this is a decent ipa, but nothing I would go out of my way for. Average and somewhat drinkable.

3.35/5  rDev -16.3%

pours out a light copperish colour with some slow moving bubbles supporting a moderate off white head. ample and festive lace. it has a meekly sweet, malty, honeyish nose with a spicy dose of hop goodness. flavour wise, it closely follows suit of the preceding smell factor, throwing down a honey buttered biscuit malt character...slightly on the timid side. hopping provides a mix of floral tones, slight citrus and pine notes, with a stronger dose of spiciness of the onion, garlic and hay variety. although it certainly has a boozy feel, it sure hides the ABV well. the subsequent bitterness is a bit raw and somewhat abrasive, but not quite tongue blistering. despite the seemingly lack of malt flavour and character, it has a full, well rounded body and surprisingly agreeable mouthfeel despite the aggressive hopping. drinkability is decent...double IPA's aren't my favourite style to imbibe, so please take that into consideration.

overall, this is just ok. i think a more interesting malt bill would compliment the hop profile. see surly abrasive for inspiration.

3.35/5  rDev -16.3%

I'm a fan of big, dark, sticky hop-bombs, and as such Southern Tier's 2XIPA isn't my cup of joe. It pours almost lager-lite, and without much smell other than faint hops. I definitely pick up on the multilple-hop bouquet when I sip it, but this beer is more mellow than in-your-face. It's a nice enough sipper at 8.2 ABV, but not one of my favorite entries to the DIPA genre...

3.36/5  rDev -16%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

I picked up a bottle of Southern Tier's 2XIPA last week for $1.89 at The Lager Mill. It's another unseasonably warm day and I am craving something hoppy, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date. Poured from a brown 12 bottle into a imperial pint glass.

A- The label looks good and it has some information on it. It poured a nice golden orange color that looked pretty good and it had two and half fingers worth of fluffy white head that died down to a thin layer that stayed till the end and left some lacing. The is a good looking beer, the color and head were both very good.

S- The aroma of this beer is dominated by citrus hops, grapefruit, blood orange, and pineapple stick out the most and they impart a nice citrus fruit aroma. I also get some malty aromas along with some earthy and piney hop aromas but they are pretty light and overpowered by the citrus hops. This was pretty good smelling beer that was all about the citrus hops.

T- This is one intense tasting DIPA that feels more balanced in the taste then it was with the aroma. It starts off with a light malty, grainy, and slightly biscuity flavors that is quickly overshadowed by the large amount of hops in this brew, which impart citrus hops at first, with an equal amount piney hops after that. It had a pretty high amount of bitterness on the finish with a little bit of slightly warming alcohol and a piney and citrus hop aftertaste. This beer tasted good, but I wish more citrus hops made their way to the aroma.

M- Somewhat smooth, on the thick side of being medium bodied, with a good amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel is good and it works well with this beer.

Overall I liked this beer and I thought it was a good example of an DIPA. The flavor and bitterness were pretty intense, but this DIPA, it should be intense, nothing tame about this beer. This beer had ok drinkability but I think one would be enough for me, the intensity and bitterness of this beer would start to ware one me. What I liked most about this beer was the appearance and the aroma, they were both pretty damn good. What I liked least about this beer was the lighter citrus flavors, if it got a little more grapefruit, blood orange, and pineapple in the taste it would be an excellent beer. I would buy this beer again when looking for a good and affordable DIPA, and I recommend it to anyone that is a fan of the style. This was the first beer that I liked and thought was good from Southern Tier, this makes up for their lackluster Porter and I will be on the search for more ber from this brewery. Good job guys this is a solid DIPA.

Update 2013 After having many different DIPA's I find this one to be just a little above average and I adjusted my rating accordingly.

3.36/5  rDev -16%

12oz single bottle, I think I bought this at Yankee Spirits. Been in the fridge for a month or so. Into Newport Storm pint glass.

A- Nice pour- golden color with orangey highlights, 2 finger sticky head and moderate lacing.

S- Aromatics are very hoppy- floral and wet pine. A twinge of soapyness...

T- Bitter- wow. Nice hop assault. Sugar-coated hops with pine resin. Bit of a lingering sweetness. Bitterness fades as the beer goes on and more of the sweetness comes out. ST is a brewery that was built on an ancient indian sugar cane field, I swear- every beer of theirs must have a handful of sugar added in.

M- Good body, good carbonation, a little messy in the finish. The caramel malt doesn't blend 100% with the hop sweetness..

D- Fairly high, although don't think this one is one I will revisit- easy enough to drink but many other DIPAs I'd reach for before this one. The sweetness got to me by the end of the bottle.

3.37/5  rDev -15.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Pour is a slightly cloudy yellow...I would say visually it is just average. One finger head dissipates quickly.

Aroma is nice and citrus - pineapple and grapefruit. Not a hop bomb to the nose by any means, but not bad.

I find the hops on this one hits you initially, but doesn't linger too long, and then a biting finish. Mouth feel is not as thick as I'd expect in a DIPA, and I'm one that likes the syrupy consistency of some Imperials.

Overall I like this beer, but I'm not overwhelmed by it. My local shop has a lot of this right now and I would probably go for another 6, but I wouldn't work too hard to find it otherwise.

3.38/5  rDev -15.5%

A- poured a nice dark yellow, almost brownish orange

S- hops and piney smells

T- blah, this is where i was disappointed, usually an IPA fan, this was one of my least favorite...the hops and the piney taste were fine...until the Nyquil cough syrup taste kicked it...caught me by surprise and i did not enjoy it as much as i would have liked

M- good mouthfeel, low carbonation

D- drinkable, light

overall, decent beer, disappointed by the taste...i wouldn't get it again but was worth a try, obviously the rest of BA liked it but i did not

look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I've had a lot of DIPA and this one is middle of the road. Very drinkable, as it warms it gets slightly better. It has a great piney taste, that is a attribute that I look for in all DIPA & IPA's. With a 8.2% ABV it doesn't have that strong taste as you would think for a higher alcohol content.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Dull golden hue with a moderate head that doesn't last long. Minimal lacing. Not bad. Not great looking either. Above average.

S: Did I get a bad sixer? Hops are certainly in the aroma, but I also get a vague scent of vomit. Bizarre.

T: Woah. Hops over load. I like IPA's, DIPA's and the like, but I wouldn't necessarily call myself a hop head. More inclined to enjoy Belgian ales. Anyhow, hops do dominate this one, though, there is a scant trace or malt trying to break though, although the hops smack it in the face and show the malt who is boss. Seems the hops are kind of all over the place, since it seems there is a varying degree of hops bitterness finish to this one. In other words, first there is your basic hops bitterness in the finish, followed by a bitter sweetness, followed by a bitter metallic finale. Probably because of the various hops used. Still, odd though.

M: Good carbonation, though I would have like this aspect better if the carbonation was rasied just a tick higher, and if there was some semblance of a hops oily residue. Otherwise, it's slightly watered down. Just slightly.

D: Not bad, but would not enter my top 10 of IPA's and DIPAs, thus, I probably won't have this again. If you're looking to get your palate demolished, this one is a sure bet. Just don't expect it to be great.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

The only thing I can say about this beer is that it definitely did not seem like a Double IPA.The hop flavors and aromas were not nearly potent enough.It possessed a sweetness that let you know it is not a single IPA,yet did not taste overly malty nor was body too heavy.It's flavors were pleasant,hop character quite restrained for a double IPA though.Would like to give it another shot in the future,worth trying again.

3.39/5  rDev -15.3%

On tap at Capone's last Saturday.

Pours a light gold bordering on yellow. Nice white head in the tulip and large amounts of lacing as it makes its way down. Promising start but the nose is a big letdown. With a name like 2XIPA, I'm expecting something big and bold. This brings a bit of citrus and grass, but nothing over the top. Taste is the same, although the bitterness levels are pretty high. Not much malt and very little actual hop flavor apart from the bitterness; not sire what they were going for here. Mouthfeel is dry and slightly alcoholic. Good drinkability as I like me some resin with my lunch, but nothig spectacular.

3.39/5  rDev -15.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Chunky, thick beer with low carbonation. Juicy Fruit gum flavors, hoppy resinous aftertaste. A sipper. This beer would be improved by sharper carbonation and less chalky residue in your yap after drinking it.

2XIPA from Southern Tier Brewing Company