2XIPA - Southern Tier Brewing Company

New York, United States

Beer added by: mcallister on 04-28-2010

Ratings: 4,110 | Reviews: 1,028
3.95/5  rDev -2%

poured from the bottle a semi-transparent honey yellow to a sun king shaped pint glass leaving nice lace.

strong aroma of grapefruit and orange rind.

taste of grapefruit hops and more grapefruit hops. bitterness evident, but reasonably subtle.

substantial, smooth, bitter to the back of the tongue.

drinkable yes.

3.8/5  rDev -5.7%

Pours a clear honey golden color with about a finger and a half of white head. Keeps a thin but pretty full lace, with some thicker rings of stick left on the sides. Good webbing on the glass.

Smell consists of sticky pine, grapefruit rind, some sweet caramel and sweet orange. Nice hoppiness in this nose, although it doesn't exactly jump out of the glass and smack me around.

Taste is substantially hoppy and significantly bitter, but is very flavorful and drinkable for a DIPA. Lots of citrus, grapefruit in particular, although not as juicy as the nose; more bitter rind flavor. There is pine too, and caramel sweetness. In the finish there is a good deal of bitterness but also an odd flavor that makes me think of raw garlic. It throws off the finish for me, although not enough to dock it except on feel, where instead of a pleasant bitterness I'm left with a real bite.

Mouthfeel is on the plus side of a medium body, with good creaminess but the bite I compared to raw garlic detracts from the smoothness of the beer.

This is a nice DIPA, although there is just something about it that doesn't quite jive with my palate in the finish. I'm sticking with the comparison to raw garlic. It's very sharp and not terribly pleasant. It just takes away a bit from the feel and drinkablikty imo. Nevertheless, this is a solid DIPA and I love that it comes in reasonably priced 6 packs. That alone will get me to buy it again.

Consumed 9/4
Poured in to a pint glass

A: This beer pours a slightly hazy, light copper color with a one finger of white head. Head recedes nicely leaving wispy spider webbed lacing on the glass.

S: Nose is somewhat fruity hops, pineapple, grapefruit, and bit of orange. Some mild malt notes find their way in as well.

T: Taste is quite juicy. A real pineapple, mango flavoring at the forfront that mixes in to a caramel malt sweetness. The hop bitterness and real bite come in during the finish with a healthy dose of grapefruit notes.

M: Medium body, medium carbonation, somewhat creamy with a touch of a sticky finish.

D: Goes down easily, bit of a alcohol burn so a decent kick, nice representation of style. I generally prefer the bomber offerings from Southern Tier over the 6 packs, but this is a solid offering that I would get again.

3.8/5  rDev -5.7%

Thrown in as an extra by wavers1 -- what a nice guy!

Appearance -- Pours a bright golden straw with one finger of sudsy white head that soon becomes a halo. Lacing is a bit thin, like spiderweb.

Smell -- Grapefruit, apricot, pine forest, melon sweetness, A bit of buttery diacetyl.

Taste -- Pine resin, grapefruit, apricot, clover field. Malt character is akin to bread with a dab of honey. Mild diacetyl present.

Mouthfeel -- Medium to medium-full in body, a bit viscous, with ample prickly carbonation. A bit heavy, but not too distracting.

Drinkability -- Quite good. Crisp, clean, refreshing. The honey sweetness and hop bitterness were well-balanced. If this weren't the *only* Southern Tier beer I can't get locally I'd strongly consider this a go-to beer.

Opaque golden pour with a slight tint of orange. Very nice looking pour into my SA beer glass. 2 fingers of white froth with some active bubbling. Aromas of coconut and citrus that took awhile to come up.

Big citrus on the nose. Pink grapefruit rind, chewy as hell. Big tart citric bitterness in the middle. There also is a very fragrant spice taste in the mid-back palate that I cannot pinpoint. Good underlying maltiness too- cashew, spicy rye bread, dry sourdough pretzel. Tons of chalky citrus tartness going on.

Resiny, dense mouthfeel. Finishes dry and palate coating. Pretty good drinkability although the "chalkiness" would keep me from having another one at the moment. Easily my favorite IPA from ST.

A- A nice golden yellow color nice head.

S- Fruity notes from the hops.

T- Bam.!!! Surprisingly very hoppy with a settle-nest of malt woven in the sip. Citrusy fruity notes all around.

M- Smooth very dry.

D- I got my hand on a fresh bottle and hoping that my review would change my mind but it was just a little bit more hoppy. But it not that much different then my so-call flat bottle. All in all I had single IPA much stronger "meaning the hops" then this. It is what it is. But this beer is a good beer don't get me wrong and well worth more drinks from me. It just didn't wow me.

3.8/5  rDev -5.7%

This beer pours a light yellow orange, bordering on gold, with about two fingers of white head. Moderate carbonation, nothing strange for the style. This beer is pretty clear compared to other IPAs. The smell is a healthy combination of herbal resinous hops and a sweet floral citrus like hops... with orange, lemon and pine taking the lead in the nose...as far as I can smell.

Glug glug glug

The taste is good, not as big as most DIPAs but still very full and complex. Citrus hops with a bitter herbal edge over a balanced malt base, which does a lot to let the hops shine. Very well crafted and humble malts IMO. The mouth feel is average and a bit thin for something that calls itself a DIPA. Over this is good instead of 2Xipa its really more like 1.5Xipa. Good IPA for the price at least.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12 oz bottle poured into a Dale's Pale Ale pint glass. A residual thin layer of head is all I got from the pour, but it has lasted a few minutes so I'll give it credit for endurance. Color is a dark urine yellow with sparse fine carbonation bubbles. Aroma is of juicy citrus and pineapple. First taste impressions are that this DIPA is lacking that malt creamy-ness not uncommon in the style. Hops are well balanced, not too bitter and a nice clean flavor. For a 8.2% DIPA this has impressive poundability (8.5/10), almost too good in that department.

3.75/5  rDev -6.9%

Poured into a nonic pint.

Pours a hazy golden dark-orange color with a foamy white head and creating a good amount of sticky lacing throughout the glass. Generously carbonated, with the bubbles making themselves known with every swirl. The aromas depict a large amount of hops, particularly the earthy and piney types, with a hint of grapefruit. Not so much of a malt presence overall, regardless of what the label had indicated.

This IIPA begins with a nice pine bitterness that continues towards a smooth maltiness and then again, falls back on a sudden hop kick. The bitterness lingers for a while, but then quickly subsides into nothing. A basic flavor profile of a double IPA.

Mouthfeel is relatively medium-bodied with low-leveled carbonation. Drinkability is moderate- not too quick, yet not too slow either.

3.85/5  rDev -4.5%

Split with fellow BA infi. Poured from a bottle into a nonic pint glass.

Appearance is a pale orange that's very transparent and clear. A good pour yields a smallish-sized head that leaves a lot of sticky lacing. Not too much carbonation rolling around in there either. Smell is full of hops and citrus and grapefruit with a tinge of maltiness at the end.

Starts off with a hoppy bitter bite, as expected. Transitions into a surprisingly malty backbone, which I wasn't expecting. The hops reappear on the back end along with some citrus and grapefruit. The bitterness lingers into the aftertaste, but it isn't terribly overwhelming. There's a happy medium between malts and bitterness. Mouthfeel is actually pretty creamy and it goes down rather smooth.

Of all the IPAs I've sampled, this is the first one that I'd actually consider revisiting. There's a bitter bite, but one that I can actually tolerate, thanks to the malt balance. Not bad at all.

3.72/5  rDev -7.7%

Received as an extra from 6daysbottomocean.

12 oz bottle poured into my snifter glass

A - Golden with about a half finger width of head. It doesn't leave much lacing on my glass, indicating there aren't a bunch of hop oils.

S - Good smell. Initial bit of tropical fruits, specifically sweet pineapple and nectarines. After that, it dies down and lots of sweet malts are leftover. I imagine this'll be a somewhat malt-dominated ipa.

T - Hey, guess what...there are malts! Sadly, another IPA that misses the mark a bit, in my opinion. There is some grapefruit bitterness, but not the smack in the mouth bitterness I like.

M - Slightly under medium body and kind of high on the carbonation side.

D - It's good, but not great. Plenty of options here in San Diego I'd go for. I'm happy to try it, but I'm glad for the alternative I have here.

4.19/5  rDev +4%

12oz bottle with no Date Stamp. Pours a light yellowish orange. Not much head but some lacing. The aroma is of dank hops and pine. This is one refreshing Imperial IPA. The taste is hoppy but not too too bitter. Some citrus and pine also. Man I love this beer. A pretty easy drinking beer for an Imperial.

4.2/5  rDev +4.2%

I'm excited. Seeing six packs of Southern Tier is always a good thing to me, and I like what Southern Tier does with hops.
The color on this one is more of a golden color than a deep amber of many IPAs; slight tints of orange and amber within a golden body.
The scent has me excited as well. Nose grabbing, top note citrus hops and lots of them. The flavor is quite like the aroma but doesn't quite deliver on what the aroma seems to promise. The sweetness is a high pitched sweetness that every so often goes a little shrill, but over all I enjoy it. Along with the lemon notes I love, there's a bitter orange peel flavor that is the source of some of those notes I don't always dig, but still want to go back to.
Carbonation makes for a very refreshing drinking experience and there is a lightness to found in here that one might not expect from something that's 8.2% strong.
At times I think this might be Southern Tier's ode, or attempt, at Pliny the Elder. I do find some similarities between the two. If they can figure out that sharp, sweet, bitter flavor that I find distracting this beer would be super duper top notch. As it stands, for a six pack of double IPA I'm very happy with my purchase.

3.72/5  rDev -7.7%

12oz bottle into a perfect pint. Courtesy of TheSevenDuffs (thanks, Marcus!). No freshness date of any kind.

A - Hazy straw-yellow, with a thin one-finger head. Good retention, decent patchy lacing on the glass. Gentle swirling brings back a finger or two.

S - Pretty fruity and light at first, with some citrus, and a cotton-candy aroma lurking in the background somewhere. As it settles there's a firm maltiness that backs things up.

T - Not much of the fruit, but there's plenty of bitterness from the hops. The cotton-candy doesn't show at all in the flavor, but there is some sweetness from the malty backbone, and maybe some orange zest and some lemony notes. A hint of alcohol, but not much.

M - Fairly thick and sticky, especially as it warms. Nice full-bodied feel. Dry finish.

D - Alcohol is pretty well hidden, and the bitterness doesn't really get to you. I could probably go through a few of these without issue.

O - Well, this is certainly a nice beer. Not sure if I have a shiny new bottle, but I'm definitely having trouble understanding the comparisons to the heavy hitters in the style like Pliny and Hopslam -- it really just isn't in the same league.

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into my Sam Adams Perfect Pint Glass.

A: An amber orange color with a one finger white head. Nice full glass lacing.

S: Nice nose of citrus and fresh grass smells coupled with some mint notes and some honey sweetness.

T: Wow, lots going on here. Fresh citrus flavors of grapefruit, pineapple and orange coupled with a massive fresh cut grass flavor. Some mint and scallion flavors creep in. These get mixed with the malt taste of honey and bready biscuit malts. Finish turns hoppy but smooth with sweetness and very little bitterness. Nice beer, different.

M: Full, creamy, resiny and some alcohol warmth.

D: For the abv, this beer is insanely drinkable, so much more so than Unearthly's massive sweetness.

Overall this is a winner from ST and I'm happy to finally find another one of their beers that I really like. I love Unearthly, but I can only drink a small quantity of it. Not so with this beer, these are very enjoyable and can be enjoyed to the point you can continue standing up. Great beer ST, finally a no gimmick beer that is just a solid drinker.

4.2/5  rDev +4.2%

12oz bottle served in a standard pint glass.

L - clear golden color with a white head that thinned to a cap but still left trails of sticky lacing.
S - super hoppy aroma, a nice mix of citrus and pine.
T - nice blend of bitter citrus hops and some 'sour patch kid' sweetness finishing dry and somewhat bitter.
F - medium bodied with a good carbonation feel (hop burps rock!).
D - at 8.2% abv it's quite easy to drink.

2.82/5  rDev -30%

12 oz bottle to oversized wine glass. $3.50. The 2XIPA made a lot of noise on the boards here which prompted me to immediately seek this brew out. First beer of the day. Review from a backlog of notes.

A: Pours with 1 1/2 fingers of long lasting white head. Verrrry light sun-struck amber orange in color. The body is clear with visual carbonation akin to angrily swarming bees. A nice amount of lacing is deposited on the glass.

S & T: The nose is UNCOMMONLY weak. The flavor as well. While there is no problem with the flavor profile per se, the lack of intensity here is astounding and ratings suffer as a result. How could my palate possibly mistake a "DIPA" at 8.2% ABV for an APA at 5? Thanks to Southern Tier, I now know. Light malts of caramel and biscuit with a nice squeeze of grapefruit, orange and pineapple juice. A light sweetness dials back the bitterness on the palate.

M: Medium to medium-full body and as creamy as it gets. Visually, the carbonation seems relentless. On the tongue, however, it couldn't be any softer, which in my mind, is a huge detriment. Back to the pros: the flavor duration is very long and it finishes well: crisply, cleany, semi dry and moderately bitter.

D: The style applied to this brew is throwing me for a loop. This would be a top notch pale ale (if it were one) but it loses a huge amount of points when judged as a DIPA. In fact, I followed this brew with an APA (something I would never normally do, BUT was more impressed with by the way) and realized that Southern Tier made a silly typo: They simply forgot to put a "1/" in front of the "2XIPA".

Despite everything negative I've said so far, the drinkability is actually pretty high. In fact, I could drink about 450 of these things in one sitting. Clearly, the ABV is another misprint. Unfortunately, because of the cost, I won't even be buying a six pack. I guess I'll have to give this one another try next time I see it on draft.

4.29/5  rDev +6.5%

Poured into my Hennepin glass.

A: Poured very, very bright golden yellow, surprising given the style. Nice 1 finger white head, a little bit of sticky, oily lace. Nice looking beer, but reminds me of an AML, which isn't so good.

S: Wow. Where to begin? Grapefruit, pine needles, orange, mango, pineapple, a very faint honey like sweetness, toast, pretzel, cracker. Jeez. This one has practically everything but the kitchen sink.

T: Again, wow. Grapefruit, orange peel, pineapple, pine, bittering hops are fantastic in this one, assertive, yet mild enough that they don't become annoyingly bitter. Lightish body and alcohol is hidden well. This one rivals fresh Hopslam, and I don't know how old my bottle is. Fantastic.

M: Creamy, oily, and smooth. Nice carbonation. Pretty good for this style of beer, it remains light in body and keeps you from feeling really full.

D: Very nice. Easy to drink, and not only that, it's decent ABV.

This is a winner. One of my favorites so far. Fantastic beer, and almost dethrones Hopslam out of my Number 1 spot.

4.2/5  rDev +4.2%

Appearance: Clear gold, ok head.

Smell: Citrus, malty sweetness.

Taste: Big citrus with a nice sweetness balance. Underlying riney bitterness.

Drinkability: Nice taste, nice price for a double IPA. Might have to pick this one up on occasion.

Grabbed a single to try of this beer and was impressed. Has the nice combination of sweetness and bitterness that I prefer in DIPAs. Not too bitter, but enough to feel it. Good stuff.

4.12/5  rDev +2.2%

This is a very good DIPA but lets get one thing clear it is no PTE.

A - Pours a nice golden crisp color decent head that remains throughout the life of the beer.

S - Umm... Hoppy, slight pine scent. Good strong smell, makes you desire more.

T - Strong hop and pine, it goes down a little sweet. Given the extreme lack of PTE here in NY, this is the 2nd best option.

D - Goes down smooth. This fills my DIPA void here in NY. Planning on keeping this in regular rotation in my beer fridge.

M - Very good body, good carbonation, a real pleasure to enjoy.

4.59/5  rDev +13.9%

Appearance: I poured this golden straw yellow into my trusty Duvel tulip glass. It built a nice head that was half inch thick, dense, and white. It dissipated quickly but was brought back strong by a swirl of the glass.

Smell:Citrusy hops right up front; grapefruit zest and orange rind, with a bit of peach; there is a nice malt lingering in the background, with a slight toast to it.

Taste: Big hops; grapefruit and orange zest. This beer mirrors the bold smells, without any astringent flavors. The malt gives it some backbone, leaving you with a nice aftertaste of toasted malts and lingering fruitiness;specifically oranges.

Mouthfeel:Lower medium weight, with perfect carbonation. It was smooth and slightest bit creamy.

Drinkability:High for the style; this is one that would sneak up on you. VERY easy drinking, but comes in strong at 8.2%.

Notes: This is a very solid, great tasting, well executed beer. My biggest regret: I didn't start drinking this sooner.

4.1/5  rDev +1.7%

Notes from 7/3/10

A golden yellow brew with a twinge of red rests in my glass. There is some surface head with a good deal of bubbles floating to the surface. The lacing is superb.

Mild citrus hops with some skunkiness round out the smell. Lemon and orange are the dominant citrus notes.

The malts seem light and blend into a combination of hop flavors: lemon, grass, and pine. The aftertaste is bitter but not overpowering. Good balance.

The mouthfeel is very thin for 8%. It feels like a pilsner or pale but somehow packs a punch. I like it because it is different.

This drinks like a pale ale. Give me more.

3.43/5  rDev -14.9%

Served in a Dogfish Head snifter.

A dual recommendation from VDubb and my man Jeff, another entry in the ongoing Leaving Falls Church uber-bender. It pours a clear orange-ish golden straw topped by a half-finger of quickly-dying white foam. The nose comprises onion, celery, pine resin, ruby red grapefruit juice, a hint of straight alcohol, and a smattering of sweet caramel. Honestly, I'm not too big a fan of this smell. The taste is more about the pine and caramel, though a small hint o' leek makes its way in there too. The body is a light medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a mostly smooth feel. Overall, a decent DIPA, but the smell is a negative; beyond that, it's not too bad.

3.92/5  rDev -2.7%

Appearance: pours golden with lots of carbonation and a thin white head that remains with a little bit of lacing on the glass.

Smell: smells fresh and sweet, like grapefruit

Taste: tastes balanced with a bit of hoppiness
initially fruity and follows up with a hint of bitterness, no alcohol bite at the end, and no aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: feels light and smooth, goes down easy

Drinkability: very drinkable, however at 8.20% abv I wouldn't drink too many of these at once, it might sneak up on you

Very nice, paired with sharp cheddar cheese. I only picked up a bottle, i should've picked up 6.

4.22/5  rDev +4.7%

Poured a slightly hazy copper color with a one finger head, and featured some nice lacing down the glass. Smelled of pine and grass; hops! Taste was not bitter up front, but more citrus and sort of flowery, but the hops bitterness kicked in nicely in the finish. For me, the ideal IPA character of flavors. Nice job here. Mouthfeel was nice, typical of the style, and drinkability was fair to good, as the ABV may kick your behind before you realize it!

2XIPA from Southern Tier Brewing Company