2XIPA - Southern Tier Brewing Company

New York, United States

Beer added by: mcallister on 04-28-2010

Reviews: 986 | Hads: 4,143
4.02/5  rDev +0.5%

A - Slightly hazy yellow orange beer with short tight head that fades quickly to a film and extensive lacing.

S - Solid nose of pine, grapefruit citrus, floral notes, with a mild honeyed element, presumably from the malt.

T - Stronger honey couples with a hint of lemon and a certain medicinal element. Another IPA that reminds me of a honey lemon throat lozenge, not that that is a bad thing. This is a pretty delicious brew. Middle comes with some bitterness, and that runs through the close. At the end, the honey comes back, offering a touch of sweetness.

M - Mild carbonation means the bitterness and hop oils hang around. Not a sign of the serious alcohol, though, which is a significant accomplishment.

O - This is a solid double IPA, with bright flavors. An added benefit is this quite drinkable for a DIPA. I will pick this one up again, I suspect. (861 characters)

3.68/5  rDev -8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Solid, well balanced and not citrus-y. It does not seem to be a full imperial ipa though. It's not on the level with other imperials like dogfish head 90 min or Greenbush brother Benjamin. But it's $10 a six pack, not $12 for a four pack. Overall, 2XIPA is a good go to well hopped ipa. (287 characters)

1.85/5  rDev -53.8%

Cannot understand how this is a double IPA! On what standard?! It's more like an 8.2% lite beer than a double IPA. Where's the hops?? Light in color with a very light mouth feel. Light frothy head. Clarity indicates it's. Filtered IPA. THIS IS NOT GOOD. I'm stuck with a 5 gallon keg based upon a friends recommendation. Great. (335 characters)

1.7/5  rDev -57.5%

If this beer were a glass of wine, it would be a White Zinfandel. It would be ordered by a girl in a leopard skin tight dress from New Jersey. Sorry to offend anyone but this is awful. I'm shocked it's getting high scores from so many people. Maybe since I have had a Real IPA, then this beer is very disappointing. (315 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +7.5%

This is a pretty delicious double IPA, delicious grapefruit hops, but has very little foam when poured, hence is a bit too light for my taste. However, it does have a crisp finish. One of my favorite beers, but it would be perfect if it was a little fuller. (257 characters)

3.85/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured from 12 oz bottle into snifter.
Pours a surprisingly light amber with half an inch of head. Color was way light.
Smells very light as well, good malt sweetness with mild hop aromas in background.
Tastes like a mild west coast IPA. Not a ton of hop flavor, a lot of malt.
Mouthfeel was good.
Overall, it was good. No off flavors, but not what I'm looking for. (365 characters)

4.29/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

12 oz bottle poured into Sam Adams perfect pint glass.

A - Pours a clear golden straw color with 2 fingers of off white head.

S - This has a great tropical fruity smell of grapefruit and orange. Bitter grapefruit hops and sweet caramel malt are apparent.

T - Taste is similar to the nose, with grapefruit hops at the forefront. These are followed by orange and other citrus fruits and rounded off by a good caramel malty sweetness. The bitterness is moderate, which combined with the tropical sweetness makes for a well-balanced brew.

M - Thin-to-moderate body with moderate carbonation. I would have liked this to be a bit thicker but it was still a great beer. Feels a bit sticky and the alcohol is well hidden.

O - I was pleasantly surprised by this one. This is a great DIPA that has flown under my radar for a while, and I will certainly be getting this again. (870 characters)

3.27/5  rDev -18.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Pretty average. Thin head that quickly disappears. Slightly cloudy straw color. Very little fruit or hop presence. A little malt, a little grain, and a little bitter. Maybe a little clove? Really not much going on for a beer getting a 4+ rating on BA. I expected much more. Next please. (286 characters)

3.21/5  rDev -19.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Bottled 1-16-14, so there is that to consider.

Not really a lot going on here, my peeps. And when I say, "not a lot," I almost mean nothing at all. Woo Doggy. This sucker has decent reviews so Raul is assuming that this bad boi spoils quicker than a big stick in the sun. Minimal aroma, like walking down the citrus aisle at the .99 cent store - yeah, not much. Taste? Where? Been missing longer than Amelia Earhart...

Of course the main man would like to get his 2x on fresh, but as for now it's a pass. (506 characters)

4.04/5  rDev +1%

A- Ample head that quickly dissipated but left solid lacing. Clear yellow gold in in color. Nice effervescence continues, very lively.

S- I'm not sensing any overwhelming scents but what is there is pleasant.

T- I am rapidly plowing through the first glass from the growler, usually a good sign as far as taste is concerned. Definitely a conformist to the DIPA game plan but enjoyable because of it. No off notes, just another easy drinking DIPA.

M- Not getting the stickiness that I get from some DIPA's but it's smooth and straightforward.

O- I'm glad I picked this DIPA up, I'm blessed with a beverage store that rotates their growler taps and I'm trying to drink as many different beers as I can. This particular DIPA didn't launch past others I've tried but it held its own. (784 characters)

3.88/5  rDev -3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: pours a 3" fluffy white head that recedes slowly with significant lacing. Color is deep golden and mostly clear, but there is a tiny bit of sediment present. Carbonation is heavy.
Aroma: heavy citrus presence -- orange, tangerine, and grapefruit. There is also some mild malt sweetness.
Mouthfeel: medium bodied and sticky with a mostly dry finish.
Flavor: echoes the aroma. The citrus hops are powerful throughout the taste but there is some pleasant malt sweetness in the middle and finish. (506 characters)

4.43/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Southern Tier makes some of my favorite stouts. Have yet to try their IPA until right now. As I write this review is THE first time I'm trying it. Dogfish Head is usually my go-to for IPA's.

Look: Golden yellow, not clear. Has a hazy look to it. About one finger of fluffy head. Leaves good lacing as the beer is drank.

Smell: Flowers, grassy, sweet citrus, hops. Pretty standard for an IPA.

Taste: Grapefruit, somewhat lemony. Definitely has a hoppy finish, but it's not overpowering. I like it that way. One of the better IPA's I've had. This is how I want an IPA to taste.

Mouthfeel: Pretty light-medium bodied. Easy drinking. I'm already half way through the glass in a matter of minutes.

Overall: I'm not really an IPA kind of guy. I like some, but I've had a lot of highly regarded IPA's that I absolutely hated. I don't review them because I feel in order to review a beer, I need to get through a full glass. And some IPA's, I just can't. They taste like I'm drinking soap. But the 2XIPA isn't that way. It has a nice sweet blend to ease the bitter hops. It rivals DFH 90 minute. I would definitely drink more 2XIPA, and may go down as one of the great IPA's, as far as I'm concerned. (1,201 characters)

3.66/5  rDev -8.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pour a extremely light golden hue with solid effervescence and bubbling carbonation. The light color was worrisome that it would lack flavor. Strong aroma of pine and bitter floral hops. Taste was better than the appearance indicated, smooth with good carbonation. Tastes of caramel and malt with balanced hops. This was a good beer. (333 characters)

4.46/5  rDev +11.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Great gold and copper color. Good foam when poured. The smell of the hops and the malts are very distinct. Great. The taste is very hoppy at first with that long lasting aftertaste. Very bubbling which quickly dissipates, leaving that good bitter taste on the tongue. Overall is a great IPA. Will be buying this again. (318 characters)

4.36/5  rDev +9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Wonderful golden/light amber pour with a nice frothy head. Smell is hoppy but not super strong. Taste confused me at first, being an imperial ipa I expected a strong spicy hop taste but it was a very smooth finish almost a malty presence. Southern tier never disappoints and every should give this beer a chance. (312 characters)

1.9/5  rDev -52.5%

By just looking at this beer poured in a glass it looks more like a light domestic than an DIPA and it definitely doesn't taste like a x2 either. The only real taste that stands out to me is the taste of alcohol... This brew leaves me searching for more depth in flavor and that's for sure where it's lacking. Glad I only have one 12oz. bottle and not a 6 pack to drink. (370 characters)

3.87/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

12oz. bottle poured into imperial pint glass.

A: Pours a clear, pristine gold... Odd, I thought I was drinking an DIPA? This doesn't even look like a regular IPA... The only thing that sets this apart from fizzy, gold adult soda is the two-finger fluffy head that eventually dissipates to a creamy cap that leaves respectable lacing. Even with the lacing, I can't get over the BMC look of this DIPA.

S: Oh, thank the Heavens this definitely isn't an AAL. Hops galore! Lots of grapefruit and orange zest, with a bit of pineapple around the edges. Some really earthy pine resin and grass add another bitter element. Very weak malt tries to peak through, but is ultimately dominated by the hops as well as a little bit of metallic booze.

T: Hop flavors are extremely fresh. Big bursts of juicy grapefruit, orange peel, there's another flavor going on here that I almost want to identify as passionfruit, but I'm not quite sure. It's very faint. Slightly sweet caramel malt presence is mild and doesn't really offer much, but it's still there. A good hint of balance, I suppose. Finish is mostly a strong pine flavor with a lingering weird alcohol aftertaste—kind of like diluted rubbing alcohol. It's truly a shame. The flavors of 2XIPA are wonderful up until the aftertaste...

M: Not quite as full as most DIPAs. This one drinks more like a regular IPA in that it's crisp, smooth, not too creamy, and it's extremely refreshing. I would have enjoyed a fuller body like those boasted by the maltier DIPAs, but this is too good to honestly complain about.

O: Southern Tier 2XIPA is a very good beer in its own right, but with it being a DIPA, I can't ignore the fact that it tastes and feels more like an extremely good IPA. Like I said, not a bad brew and it will certainly appeal to any hophead, but if you're looking for an outstanding DIPA, look elsewhere. This one's merely just quite good. (1,897 characters)

4/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Appearance - Pours a semi-clear golden orange with an off-white finger width head. Fair retention results in a thin layer of surface suds. Leaves a fair bit of lacing around the glass with good stick.

Smell - The nose is mostly hoppy, hitting on floral character with light earth and citrus notes.

Taste - Follows the nose. Floral hoppiness with touches of earth and spice. Light malty backbone which consists of bread and slight caramel character. A fair touch of ruby red grapefruit bittersweetness hits near the finish, giving this a really nice aftertaste. Wish the flavors were more pronounced, but delicious as is.

Mouthfeel - Light in body with lively carbonation. Goes down with a great silky smoothness. The highlight of this beer.

Overall - Pretty light for a DIPA, but smooth, drinkable and balanced all the same. A beer that comes across better than the sum of its parts. Would be sessionable if not for the deceptively high ABV. A definite winner, IMO. (969 characters)

3.95/5  rDev -1.3%

A-For a DIPA I always expect them to be darker and have more head... but lately they never do. Looks like a lighter beer.... Always strikes me as weird.
S- Smells pretty good, really hoppy, earthy and citrus, reminds me of Unearthly. Actually, I havent had that in awhile... You sure this isnt that? :)
T- Hmmm this is very tasty and I like it alot. Its kinda sweet, but thats okay. Smooth and easy drinking. I detect a bit ofg alcohol. Hops are a lil bit bitter, more earthy and flowery, citrus is in there somewhere.
M- Nice, its a bit thicker than Id hink considering the light color, I like it.
Overall, this is a pretty good DIPA for only 9 bucks a 6er. Id buy it again. I wouldnt search it out though. (708 characters)

4.03/5  rDev +0.8%

Pours a clean looking golden yellow with about a finger of head, what head there is fades slowly basically leaving a cap on top, no lacing on the glass though.

Smell has a very flowery aroma, picking up citrus and pine and a strong presence of sweet malt, touches of other light fruit as well, even picking up an almost apricot aroma.

Taste starts out with a strong piney front, quickly fades to the sweet malt backing which also quickly leaves and finishes with a semi-bitter finish, citrus and light fruit flavors linger about, carbonation is medium to medium-high with an appropriate body. (594 characters)

3.63/5  rDev -9.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

my first review:
My ASTMO: =
APPEARANCE - A Nice Gold, or a dense urine color, pretty pale with a head about 1cm maybe lower. I'd say average.
SMELL- I'm not very knowledgeable in the smells but I'd say possibly a piney and floral smell.
TASTE- Bitter, with a burst an Strong after taste, but it's hard to say due to the 3 different malts and 4 hops.
MOUTHFEEL- Highly Carbonated, but not too strong with an easy feel.
OVERALL- (432 characters)

3.74/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A: Very nice yellow/gold with an average head (about 1 cm). S: very floral maybe a hint of citrus but the hoppy scent just wasn't there for me. T: Quite bitter but not as bitter as I had hoped for when I picked up a "Double IPA" but still great flavor. M: above average carbonation and it goes down easily. OA: I liked this beer a lot actually as an IPA, it had great bitterness and a high ABV. But not a 2xIPA I recommend it and I really enjoyed it. (450 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -10.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A: yellow/amber
S: mild hops and malt.
T: a very good for an IPA, but pretty weak for a DIPA. Still, I felt the 8.2%. Nice citrus grapefruit taste with a pleasant aftertaste.
M: not too dry not too moist.
OA: again, more of an IPA. Very drinkable. A nice summery beer. (268 characters)

4.22/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

On tap at Claddaghs

Appearance: See through light golden color with a small white head. Looks more like a lager or pilsner than a DIPA

Smell: Cirtus hops with bready malt

Taste: Citrus hops (predominantly orange, lemon, and grapefruit), and a touch of sweet bready malt. I enjoy the floral aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Quite smooth, although its moderately bitter. Drinkable for a double, and very refreshing

Overall: It's drinkable and the aromas and flavors are what i go for in a DIPA. Bright citrus fruits with a undertone of sweet bready malts. It also has a great mouthfeel and is very refreshing. Its definitely a great beer and will probably be a staple in my fridge from now on (687 characters)

4.06/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: Bought a 6er. Drank half from the bottle, poured the other 3 into my jumbo mug. The bottle is pretty plain, not much detail about the brew on it. The color of the beer is a light golden color. Fluffy head that dissipated fairly quickly.

Smell: a lot of pine scent coming from this, which is common for a double IPA. Also a subtle fruity scent. I dig it.

Taste: magnificent. Not very strong at all. Most double IPAs are relatively strong and kinda hard to drink in my opinion. Not this one. Very easy to drink.

Mouthfeel: like I previously said, this wet is very easy to drink. Not too overpowering on the palates or the throat. However, this beer is pretty strong and definitely not for for the inexperienced.

Overall: a great beer. I enjoyed every second of this 12 pack. The 8.2% ABV definitely packs a punch. I recommend this to anyone who enjoys a hoppy IPA. Cheers and enjoy (899 characters)

2XIPA from Southern Tier Brewing Company