Eurotrash Pilz - Southern Tier Brewing Company

New York, United States

Czech Pilsener |  5.20% ABV

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: aerozeppl on 06-18-2010

This beer may have a cheeky name, but don’t be fooled; it is modeled after fine European pilsners to be light and crisp. Aromatic Noble hop varieties, 2-row malted barley and European style pilsner malt contribute to this pale beer’s smooth character.
« first ‹ prev | 101-125 | 126-150 | 151-175  | next › last »
Ratings: 729 | Reviews: 175

Appearance is golden with a nice head and lacing.

Nose is bright with citrus, malt, and cream.

Taste is nutty, with some oak and light lemon.

Mouthfeel is clean and crisp with a good amount of carbonation.

Overall, this beer scores an "A" for drinkability, and has plenty of flavor as well.

3.44/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz bottle in a pint glass.

Appearance: Pale golden. Certainly looks like a Pilsner Urquell.

Aroma: Fairly strong, noble hops and lager-yeast.

Taste: Very crisp but full-flavored. Taste is hop-forward with little to no sulfur characteristics.

Mouthfeel: Light and bright. Fairly high carbonation. Pretty much what one wants.

Overall: A solid German pilsner from and American brewer.

3.12/5  rDev -8.2%

Poured from the bottle into a Radeberger flute at low altitude.

A: Looks at home in the Radeberger glass. Pours a crystal clear golden color with a prickly two-finger stark white head that fades to nothing within about 15 seconds. No lacing here, but the small carbonation bubbles look nice as they waft toward the top of the glass.

S: Bread, noble hops, grassy notes. As it should be, the smell is relatively subtle.

T: Bready yeast up front gives way to some slight grassy notes and noble hop bitterness. The finish is slightly metallic. Really not much to set this apart from a lot of the other pilsners on the market.

M: Light-bodied with a wet mouthfeel. I could have done with a bit more carbonation, but the mouthfeel suits the flavors well enough.

3.95/5  rDev +16.2%

Had on tap at Moonwinks:

A-Decent, fairly transparent, little lace

S-Typical lager, pilsner bread, malt meh

T-Pretty decent, not my favorite style but it'll do

M-falls a little short in this regard, seems kind of thin

O-never had a bad beer from ST, until my next review

3.13/5  rDev -7.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3

12oz bottle poured into a 16 ounce pint glass.

Looks pretty light, almost like Miller Lite. Lots of bubbles, very thin head that stays for a while. Looks refreshing on a hot day.

Smell - Like Miller Lite. Reminded me of my College years.

Taste - Better than Miller Lite, no doubt. Malty, mild hops, bread.... I really don't taste anything else...

Nice body, carbonation is good for a hot summer day.

Overall: Won't get this again. Just not that good. I'd choose it over Miller/Bud/etc. But not over any other Southern Tier products.

3.68/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A strong pours does not produce much head on this pale straw colored brew. Fine bubbles slowly stream after it warms a bit.

There is a light aroma of pale malt and grain. Slight hop smells like a good Czech hop like Saaz.

The taste is a malted up Pilsner Urquell with a nice Euro hop taste. It' s not bad at all for the style. A nice malt flavor with a slight sweetness turns to a dry finish then some earthy hops.

Mouthfeel has a light body with light carbonation this is right on point for a Euro Pils.

I liked this pilsner from Southern Tier.

3.81/5  rDev +12.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Overall, a pleasant suprise here. Poured from a 12oz bottle into a Sam Adams glass. Reasonable fluffy white head that lingered for a very short time (beer was extra cold). Had a great Pilsner aroma, my first thought was "good German beer". Taste was bright, and smooth with just the right lingering bittterness at the finish. Was a tad light on the carbonation, though. A good example of the style.

4.1/5  rDev +20.6%

A sweet, clean and spicy aroma arises from a rich yellow, fully carbonated brew. It tastes much like it smells: clean, crisp, sweet malts with nice bit of spicy hops balancing it out. Nice crisp moutfeel with lots of carbonation up front. It finishes well, not lingering too much, but not dissapearing all together either.
Overall, I am impressed with the quality of this czech pils. I willbe buying it again. Too bad its a seasonal though.

3.51/5  rDev +3.2%

Pours pale gold with a pillowy pure white head. Some scarce bubbles climbing up the center of the glass. Nose is mostly malt with some herbal hop character. Taste is crisp malt, peppery hops, some vague piney character, and a little bit of diacetyl. The mouthfeel is damn near perfect--light on the tongue, a little buttery, and a crisp finish. Overall, a very solid take on a traditional German pils, but nothing to go nuts over--there are better for the money you'll spend on this.

3.23/5  rDev -5%

From a bottle with bottling date indicated.

A: Pours a clear gold and is topped by a thin (very thin) white head. Plenty of carbonation can be seen rising to the top.

S: Light; I am getting some grass notes as well as a skunky almost cannabis like scent.

T: Nothing impressive; I am getting that skunky marijuana-esque character as well as some grassiness. The malt character is biscuity/doughy in nature.

M: Carbonated; however, nothing that would bloat or really cause a filling sensation, really light and clean.

O: Not something I would try again; although, I am curious as to if I received a skunked bottle.

3.97/5  rDev +16.8%
look: 3 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Drinkable beer. I'm going straight from the bottle so I can't tell you what it looks like. Smells like a euro pilsner, very clean one too. Tastes clean and crisp and a mild sweetness of malt with a nice little hop flowering. Feels a bit dusty in the aftertaste. Overall a respectable, clean, session worthy brew. Can't say I really love the whole name and labeling going on. Trash doesn't make me want to drink... makes me want to shower. I guess this brew showers your mouth?

Authentic pilsner taste, not my favorite style but true to form

3.23/5  rDev -5%

Crystal translucent and pale yellow. Light fluffy head and tons of bubbles.

I've never described a beer as grassy in a good way, but this Pilz had a grassy, kind of fruity (citrus) smell.

The taste is pretty good, this is way better than any of the Macro lagers out there. Smooth, yet bitter and great for summer or with food.

Very fizzy and full bodied. Decent

Highly drinkable, and good. Seems like an ok beer for a hot day.

2.95/5  rDev -13.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Got a sixer on a friend’s recommendation, and I couldn’t be more conflicted. Everyone other one has been highly drinkable or borderline poor. The diehards will say you can’t get a good pils here, that the only place it’s good enough and fresh enough is Eastern Europe. I won’t concede that they’re right, even if this is a pint in their favor.

STYLE: Czech Pilsner

ABV: 5.2%

LOOK: Clear gold, easily one of the most transparent beverages I’ve ever seen. I wasn’t able to generate a head, but it was interesting to see bubbles cling to the outside rather than rush up the middle, tornado style.

NOSE: Pizza dough, buttered corn stalks, unpopped popcorn.

MOUTH: Daring to be unimaginative. Canned vegetables, mostly corn water, which speaks more to the lack of freshness than the taste. I feel like I just drank a single blade of grass. It’s difficult to drink slowly, so thin and light. The style, I know. But there has to be more to do it for me. A little white pepper on the finish helps.

Beeradvocate Rating: 79

ratebeer Rating: 48

Hayward Abbey Rating: 77

3.58/5  rDev +5.3%

Served- out of bottle and into a pint glass.
Appearance-Golden color, lots of carbonation.
Smell-light hints of malt
Mouthfeel-crisp.
Taste-crisp, refreshing. Had a typical pilsner taste but was better than the average pilsner.
Overall-I was reluctant to buy this beer due to the fact that I am not crazy about Pilsner's. Southern Tier is basically in my back yard and I have been to there brewery several times and generally like the beers so I gave it a shot. For a Pilsner this is pretty good. It tastes a lot better than the average mass produced American Pilsner you would get and I have to admit I liked it better than some of the European Pilsner's. I see this as there go to beer for someone that come's to the Brewery or in the market for that manner and says"Ah I don't really like "dark beers" do you have anything I might like. Good beer for the non craft obsessed masses.

3.7/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a tall pilsner glass. Nice foamy head, but not especially thick. Nice golden oilsner color with champagne bubbles in abundance. Most grassy and herbal nose. Enjoyable, easy drinking beer. Quite sessionable, yet nothing extraordinary. Slightly crisp, clean and refreshing, but could be much better if the hops were a little bigger. True to type, but seems more like a PU of today than the old beloved style.

3.45/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Typical pour into a "Noble Pils" glass creates a pure white head that fades to a ring leaving some lacing. Sparkling clear, medium
size bubbles, light yellow hue. Nice aroma from pils malts and floral
hops. Pleasant flavor combining the grains and hops used. Clean
and refreshing with some lingering bitterness in the finish. Worked out well on the deck this afternoon while warming in the sun.
Good session.

2.54/5  rDev -25.3%

it pours a very clear very golden. the head went away as fast as it came. the smell is that of a rather cheap lager such as bud. it starts with the crisp punch of noble hops but quickly fleets to a rather dissappointing metalic taste. the mouthfeel is crisp and refreshing. i was was expecting more out of this one.

3.82/5  rDev +12.4%

Took a tour of the brewery last saturday and this beer was served directly out of the fermenter. I was amazed at the clean,fresh, citrus flavor. I am a huge fan of the Imperial Stouts and my wife drinks Michelob Ultra, but, we both agreed this was a very nice beer to drink and we look forward to having it out on the market.

3.74/5  rDev +10%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Pours nice and clear like a pilsner should. Nice thin white head that left minimum lacing, but smell was a little lacking, though still very solid.

Hits the palate very nice, and tastes great with a good aftertaste. Overall I enjoyed, wish the weather was warmer and I'm sure I'd enjoy it even more!

2.8/5  rDev -17.6%

Good looking clear pale straw color, but this beer can't seem to hold onto its head very well, and certainly doesn't leave any behind as lace. Noble hops and not a whole lot else on the nose. Smell reminds me of big green bottle euro beers, and while it is a scent I personally don't mind, it still isn't really what I want or expect out of what should, by all accounts, be a fresh pils. Hop bitterness is there for taste and that's great, but what this beer really needs is to dry out on the finish; it is tasty but too sweet for what it is. It is fine through the mouthfeel in a sort of oh-hello-didn't-notice-you kind of way. It isn't thin or undercarbornated or viscous or anything, but it doesn't really perk up the tongue like some pilseners I've had. All in all, this is a tasty, drinkable, refreshing beer, but it does more to stand behind than in front of comparable brews. Not bad, but not great, has some flaws, but the overall balance keeps this as an average beer. If someone gave me a six, I'd work my way through it before to long and be grateful, but as it stands I'm not about to go get myself this beer again.

3.03/5  rDev -10.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

One of the weakest offerings from
STBC. Would not recommend

3.85/5  rDev +13.2%

Appearance - light gold, and bubbly. Very crisp, no murkiness, sediment, or cloudiness.

Smell - Noble hops and a faint hint of cereal.

Taste- Just like it smells. Faint floral hop notes, with a not-necessarily-bad cereal hint on the finish. Very crisp and finishes extremely smooth.

Mouthfeel - Light carbonation, and light on the mouth feel, a bit watery. Exactly what I'd expect from the style.

Overall - A very good representation of the style. The slight hints of cereal both make it more interesting than some Czech Pilseners but are also what keep it from being an excellent representation. A beer well worth trying, and an excellent session beer. Another good effort from Southern Tier.

3.07/5  rDev -9.7%

A- this beer is suppose to have a medium carbonation but seems a little low and the head is strong at first almost an inch high, but does not stay long. The color for this sytle is on the lower end of a pale gold, but the clearity is very good.

S- smell is pretty spot on the reason for the lower score is because of the diacetyl is a bit strong it is allowed but not to be that noticed.

T- this is ok the malt is strong and then the bitter hops take over works but the transiion between the to should be smoother. Carbonationis still a little low.

M- due to the malt it is a mouthful and with the diacetyl it is more pronounced.

This is good beer i wouold suggest slight more carbonation with minimizing the diacetyl to a more of a trace. Mostly adding the bitting hops a bit earlier would milded them out to help with the transition from the malt better.

4.03/5  rDev +18.5%

I think you have to review a beer for what it is supposed to be, not what you want it to be. I almost didn't buy this, because the ratings were low. However, Southern Tiers reputation won out. I'm glad I did.

I love a giant hoppy IPA or belgian trippel as much as the next guy, but it's 90 degrees out this weekend. When it's that hot out, and you've been working in the yard all day, or planning a cookout on the patio, you want something crisp, easy to drink, and refreshing. Usually in that scenario, I'll buy a case of Heineken, Becks, or Pilsner Urquell. If you like them, you'll like this.

You know how Heineken has that funky sour smell to it? This has that. Pale golden straw color? Check. White creamy head? Check. (Stayed in the glass a while for me, maybe you guys need to wash your glassware better.) Pound two in a row on a hot day without feeling like you ate a loaf of bread? Check.

This is a great hot weather beer in the pilsener style. Good bitter hops flavor, not citrusy, but just a hint of what smells like tea to me. I've had Sam Adams Noble Pils, this is definitely better than that. More balanced, rounder flavor. Where the Sam Adams is kind of one-dimensional, this is a solid product. I'd buy it again. And, I'm still supporting a craft brewer, not a multi-national conglomerate mega-brewer.

I was actually drinking Heineken the night before at a party, so the taste was fresh in my mind. Kind of what put me in the mood. Again, this is not a big-ass Victory IPA or Dales Pale Ale, and it's not supposed to be. Is it as good as Pilsner Urquell? I can't say, as I haven't had one in a long time, but it's as good or better than Heineken, and tastes great with burgers on the grill.

« first ‹ prev | 101-125 | 126-150 | 151-175  | next › last »