Oak Aged Pumking - Southern Tier Brewing Company

Pumpkin Ale |  8.60% ABV

Beer added by: BARFLYB on 12-15-2011

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
4.09/5  rDev +1.7%

I really didn't notice much difference between this and the standard Pumking. I enjoyed how the standard version was so sweet, and whipped-creamy, and the oak aging kind of dried out the finish a little bit and cut down on the sweetness when compared to the standard version. I've changed my scores from the original to compensate for that.

It still blows a lot of other pumpkin beers out of the water, but I'll just stick to the standard Pumking in the future. (463 characters)

3.12/5  rDev -22.4%

Pumking is one of my all-time favorite beers, and a standard around my house during the autumn months. I rushed to TJ's in Paoli (the best beer bar ever, by the way) to try this oak aged version, and couldn't have left more disappointed. Pumking is a very strongly flavored beer - very sweet, with a lot of pumpkin pie flavors and a nice hot alcohol burn that helps tie the entire experience together. I don't know how long this version spent on oak, but it tastes as if it was only a month or two. The beer comes out tasting just about the same as Pumking (keep in mind that with this review, I'm grading on a curve), with the oak only imparting a medicinal quality that detracts from the overall experience. Pumking already has a vanilla marshmallow creme character, so I can't really detect any more vanilla from the oak - and there's not any woodsiness to speak of. What there is is a sap-like medicinal quality to the sip, especially in the aftertaste - a danger of aging beer or cooking food on virgin oak - that detracts from the lovely, pie-like experience of drinking this beer and just makes it a bit of a chore to drink.

Pumking has a ton of flavor - perhaps Southern Tier could keep that in mind next time they attempt this. It could use some barrel aging that's able to stand up to that flavor - either a long long time in virgin oak, or some time in something like bourbon or rum barrels, would be a smarter move. (1,428 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +10.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

First off, Pumking is one of my favorite beers. When I heard that they were going to be oak aging it, I thought "COOL!". After waiting awhile for it, I began questioning the rationale for doing so. Why mess with something that doesn't need messing with. That being said, this beer is great. The original pumking taste, smell and feel are all there....with just a tad bit of "more". The oak aging gives it a nice little bite and a smokiness that did not exist before. ST did a nice job here. I filled up a growler for this weekends holiday party. Happy holidays to ME! (567 characters)

4.12/5  rDev +2.5%

On Tap at TJ's Everyday in Paoli PA. What a place.

Oak Aged Pumking sports an orangish amber shade, much lighter in color than when the kings first made it's rounds. A nice puff of creamy white foam up top that is loose and dips after some time, no lace.

Smell is lovely, pumkin scent to the max, fall spices, pie crust, clove and a faint trace of butterscotch. A nice amount of nutmeg with warming and faint traces of oak from the chips.

Im not a big fan of Pumking beers, in fact this is the first I am having this season, and it is a winner. Taste is nutmeg, cinnamon, pumpkin puree, spices, a hint of ginger and again a trace amount of oak chip flavor, which in turn gives off hints of vanilla at times.

People talk shit about how Pumking has become lighter in color and body over the years, and I would have to agree with them, although in my mind, the change has only made this beer even more drinkable. This is a strong medium with faint bubbles and not alot of carb. It's not all the way dead though. Nice splash of oak/vanilla in the aftertaste.

I had two glasses of this and I almost never do that at a bar (unless it's pliny, which coincidentally was also on tap) This is top notch stuff and the oak aging is not overdone, but adds another small layer to this great beer. (1,287 characters)

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last