2X Stout - Southern Tier Brewing Company

2X Stout2X Stout

Southern Tier Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

Milk / Sweet Stout |  7.50% ABV

(Beer added by: Morey on 12-18-2011)
3.95/5  rDev +3.9%

Pours a nice dark color with very little head. Almost no lacing Taste and aroma of coffee and roasted malts. An excellent bodied brew. You don't notice the higher alcohol content. Going down very easy with not much of a hint of bitterness. I wish there was a little more bite to this beer but it is above average none the less

britzdog, Jul 07, 2012
2.43/5  rDev -36.1%

12 oz. bottle poured into a chalice.

A: Pours a very dark brown color with a faint burgundy hue when held up to the light. The head is a one finger mocha color that fades into a thickish collar around the glass in short order.

S: Mild dark and milk chocolates, a hint of caramel, and some roasted malts. A nice smelling beer, only hindered by its weak aroma.

T: Fruitier in the taste than in the smell. A light sensation of chocolate-covered cherries gives way to a finish of ash and lactic twang. Not much flavor or balance - can't say I'm a fan of this one, really.

M: The carbonation in this is pretty strong, to the point of almost detracting from the rest of the beer. Not much of an aftertaste, the finish trails off the palate too quickly.

O: I'm coming to the realization I don't like sweet stouts, most notably the lactose sugar presence they contain. Even taking that out of the equation, this simply isn't that good by the standards of the style. Worth a try if you really (and I mean really) like the style, I suppose, but I won't be revisiting this one - my first misfire from Southern Tier.

EDIT: I actually disliked this more than I thought, to the point where I couldn't finish more than half of it, ergo scores have been adjusted accordingly.

ThisWangsChung, Jul 04, 2012

zachary80, Jun 26, 2012

hannaho, Jun 25, 2012

NumberNone, Jun 25, 2012
4.25/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A - Great retention and lace on a medium khaki head. Black with dark cola highlights.

S - Fairly one dimensional but still pleasant with a deep roasted grains character and a touch of caramel.

T - Thick and smooth. Creamy caramel into coffee and cream balanced beautifully by a nice sharp roast. Net sweet finish to style.

M - Super smooth, full body.

O - A very nice milk stout, one of the better examples of the style imho.

vfgccp, Jun 24, 2012
3.98/5  rDev +4.7%

A: Pours a black color with a small tan head that fades to bits of lacing.

S: Aroma of roasted malt, with chocolate and coffee to round it out.

T: Taste follows the aroma with roasted malt, chocolate and coffee and some caramel sweetness. Mild bitterness in the background with a dry finish.

F: Full body, smooth, thick and creamy. No real hint of the 7.5% ABV. very nice balanced.

O: Goes down easy. Good beer without being overpowering.

soju6, Jun 24, 2012
4.5/5  rDev +18.4%

MystikCelt, Jun 24, 2012
3.5/5  rDev -7.9%

Naterobsnyk4, Jun 24, 2012

Beer21, Jun 24, 2012

Cougar990, Jun 23, 2012
4.03/5  rDev +6.1%

I picked up a bottle of Southern Tier's 2X Stout a couple days ago for $1.89 at The Lager Mill. I have had their 2X IPA before and I thought it was good so being the Stout lover that I am I thought I should try their 2X Stout, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date, but I think it's fairly fresh. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a imperial pint glass.

A- The label looks good and it has some nice dark colors to reflect the color of this beer, and I like the information provided on the label. It poured a straight up black color that didn't let any light come through and it had had three fingers worth of mocha colored head that died down to a thick ring that stayed till the end and left some nice spotty lacing. This is a damn good looking Milk Stout, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a large amount of dark roasted malts that have a medium amount of roast to them and impart some nice chocolate and coffee aromas with some nice roasted aromas and the chocolate sticking out the most to give this beer a cold mocha coffee like aroma. Next up is some sweet lactose that gives this beer a high amount of medium sweetness and imparts a creamy and milk like aroma followed by a slight grainy and caramel aroma. This beer has a good aroma that is true to style, I like it.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma and it starts off with a large amount dark roasted malts that have a pretty high amount of roast and impart some nice roasted flavors along with some coffee and chocolate with the coffee sticking out the most and the chocolate taking on a cocoa powder like flavors that showed up towards the end. Next I picked up some lactose sugars that give this beer a high amount of medium sweetness and imparts a light cream flavor. On the finish I get a really slight alcohol flavor with a higher amount of medium bitterness that has a charred malt like bitterness to it and it had a roasty and coffee like aftertaste with a little bit of cream. This beer tasted good and it was true to style, I don't really have any complaints.

M- Smooth, creamy, velvet like, dry, on the thick side of being medium bodied and it had a nice medium amount of carbonation. There's nothing off when it comes to the mouthfeel of this beer, I like it.

Overall I thought that this was a good beer and I thought that it was a good example that was pretty true to style, it highlighted the roasted malts and the sweet lactose just like a good example of this style should and it was easy to drink without being too filling. This beer had good drinkability, it went down pretty smooth and the flavors kept me interested, I could drink a couple of these but after that I think the sweetness would wear on me. What I liked most about this beer was how true to style it was, it was everything that I expect from the style and it looked damn good in my pint glass. What I liked least about this beer was nothing, there wasn't anything that I felt was out of place with this beer. I would buy this beer again, it was priced right and was just what I want in a Milk Stout, I will be buying this again when in the mood for the style and I highly recommend giving this beer a try if Milk Stouts are your thing. This turned out to be a good and really solid Milk Stout, I don't think of this as a double Milk Stout, to me it's just a good example of the style and not a double version of this style. I didn't like their Porter too much, but these 2X beers have impressed me, I am sad to see there are no more beers in this series, it would be nice to see a 2X Red Ale or a 2x Pilsener. Good job Southern Tier, I will be on the look out for more of your beers and I would love to try the barrel aged version of this beer one day.

StoutHunter, Jun 23, 2012
2.5/5  rDev -34.2%

TheBigBoy, Jun 22, 2012
4.25/5  rDev +11.8%

odualum13, Jun 21, 2012
3.5/5  rDev -7.9%

AndrewK, Jun 19, 2012
3.18/5  rDev -16.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Pours deep dark black from the bottle with very little head. Smells a bit of wet dog and a little roasty chocolate. Meh. Flavor follows with some mild chocolate and only a hint of roast. Slightly disappointed here. Syrupy stout with one dimensional mild chocolate flavor. Decent, but I'll stick to Mokah and Choklat.

BMMillsy, Jun 18, 2012
3.9/5  rDev +2.6%

DOB 12/28/2011, picked this up in KC

Pours mahogany with a thumb + of mocha colored head up front. Below average head retention & above average lacing

S: Mocha & coffee

T: Coffee, dryness & roastyness, plus dark fruit up front. Cocoa powder & roastyness as this warms, some dryness from the lactose & a bit of twang. Finishes dry, roasty & with a touch of lactose & chocolate milk

MF: Smooth carbonation & creamy body

A nice milk stout that impressed me. I will buy again & would love to see how a fresher version compares

russpowell, Jun 18, 2012