2X Stout - Southern Tier Brewing Company

2X Stout2X Stout

Southern Tier Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

Milk / Sweet Stout |  7.50% ABV

(Beer added by: Morey on 12-18-2011)
3.98/5  rDev +4.7%

A: Pours a black color with a small tan head that fades to bits of lacing.

S: Aroma of roasted malt, with chocolate and coffee to round it out.

T: Taste follows the aroma with roasted malt, chocolate and coffee and some caramel sweetness. Mild bitterness in the background with a dry finish.

F: Full body, smooth, thick and creamy. No real hint of the 7.5% ABV. very nice balanced.

O: Goes down easy. Good beer without being overpowering.

soju6, Jun 24, 2012
4.5/5  rDev +18.4%

MystikCelt, Jun 24, 2012

Naterobsnyk4, Jun 24, 2012

Beer21, Jun 24, 2012

Cougar990, Jun 23, 2012
4.03/5  rDev +6.1%

I picked up a bottle of Southern Tier's 2X Stout a couple days ago for $1.89 at The Lager Mill. I have had their 2X IPA before and I thought it was good so being the Stout lover that I am I thought I should try their 2X Stout, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date, but I think it's fairly fresh. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a imperial pint glass.

A- The label looks good and it has some nice dark colors to reflect the color of this beer, and I like the information provided on the label. It poured a straight up black color that didn't let any light come through and it had had three fingers worth of mocha colored head that died down to a thick ring that stayed till the end and left some nice spotty lacing. This is a damn good looking Milk Stout, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a large amount of dark roasted malts that have a medium amount of roast to them and impart some nice chocolate and coffee aromas with some nice roasted aromas and the chocolate sticking out the most to give this beer a cold mocha coffee like aroma. Next up is some sweet lactose that gives this beer a high amount of medium sweetness and imparts a creamy and milk like aroma followed by a slight grainy and caramel aroma. This beer has a good aroma that is true to style, I like it.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma and it starts off with a large amount dark roasted malts that have a pretty high amount of roast and impart some nice roasted flavors along with some coffee and chocolate with the coffee sticking out the most and the chocolate taking on a cocoa powder like flavors that showed up towards the end. Next I picked up some lactose sugars that give this beer a high amount of medium sweetness and imparts a light cream flavor. On the finish I get a really slight alcohol flavor with a higher amount of medium bitterness that has a charred malt like bitterness to it and it had a roasty and coffee like aftertaste with a little bit of cream. This beer tasted good and it was true to style, I don't really have any complaints.

M- Smooth, creamy, velvet like, dry, on the thick side of being medium bodied and it had a nice medium amount of carbonation. There's nothing off when it comes to the mouthfeel of this beer, I like it.

Overall I thought that this was a good beer and I thought that it was a good example that was pretty true to style, it highlighted the roasted malts and the sweet lactose just like a good example of this style should and it was easy to drink without being too filling. This beer had good drinkability, it went down pretty smooth and the flavors kept me interested, I could drink a couple of these but after that I think the sweetness would wear on me. What I liked most about this beer was how true to style it was, it was everything that I expect from the style and it looked damn good in my pint glass. What I liked least about this beer was nothing, there wasn't anything that I felt was out of place with this beer. I would buy this beer again, it was priced right and was just what I want in a Milk Stout, I will be buying this again when in the mood for the style and I highly recommend giving this beer a try if Milk Stouts are your thing. This turned out to be a good and really solid Milk Stout, I don't think of this as a double Milk Stout, to me it's just a good example of the style and not a double version of this style. I didn't like their Porter too much, but these 2X beers have impressed me, I am sad to see there are no more beers in this series, it would be nice to see a 2X Red Ale or a 2x Pilsener. Good job Southern Tier, I will be on the look out for more of your beers and I would love to try the barrel aged version of this beer one day.

StoutHunter, Jun 23, 2012
2.5/5  rDev -34.2%

TheBigBoy, Jun 22, 2012

odualum13, Jun 21, 2012

AndrewK, Jun 19, 2012
3.18/5  rDev -16.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Pours deep dark black from the bottle with very little head. Smells a bit of wet dog and a little roasty chocolate. Meh. Flavor follows with some mild chocolate and only a hint of roast. Slightly disappointed here. Syrupy stout with one dimensional mild chocolate flavor. Decent, but I'll stick to Mokah and Choklat.

BMMillsy, Jun 18, 2012
3.9/5  rDev +2.6%

DOB 12/28/2011, picked this up in KC

Pours mahogany with a thumb + of mocha colored head up front. Below average head retention & above average lacing

S: Mocha & coffee

T: Coffee, dryness & roastyness, plus dark fruit up front. Cocoa powder & roastyness as this warms, some dryness from the lactose & a bit of twang. Finishes dry, roasty & with a touch of lactose & chocolate milk

MF: Smooth carbonation & creamy body

A nice milk stout that impressed me. I will buy again & would love to see how a fresher version compares

russpowell, Jun 18, 2012

GRG1313, Jun 17, 2012

gutbuster, Jun 15, 2012

kmoore149, Jun 12, 2012

Gww1864, Jun 12, 2012
3.93/5  rDev +3.4%

Pours a jet black oil looking liquid. Thin tan head dissipates quickly. Very little lacing.
Smells of roasted malt. A bit of sweet chocolate and agreeable alcohol. Some pumpernickel bread and mellow sweetness abound.
Starts a bit watery. Roasted coffee, slightly toasted malt flavors with mellow biscuit. Sharp bitterness towards the end that is a muddled mixture of earthy hop and roasted grains. Finishes sweet with a bit of alcohol.
A lighter body than expected. Smooth and crisp mouthfeel with good carbonation for the style.

A pretty damn good beer. It doesn't try to be complex or overbearing, but that is nice. I'd be able to drink
Multiples because of the medium alcohol and the good balance of flavors.

Thads324, Jun 12, 2012
4.75/5  rDev +25%

JamesH, Jun 12, 2012
3.6/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A 12 ounce bottle poured into a pint glass. $1.99 loose bottle pick up

Appearance
The pour is yields a nightly black body with a small deep tan head and not a lot of lace left.

Smell
Dusty choco powder like in the cereal box and sweet milk sugers in the nose. It smells like an adult glass of count chocula which should be interesting--- aka a manufactured sharp taste

Taste and Body
A taste that mirrors the nose. There is a lot going on and it all rises above the simple nose. Overall there isn't as much sweetness or thick body as I was expecting.

In comparison to the other milk stouts, it had a nice balance that seemed to be more alined to a sweet stout than the milky desert beers that I usually run into in the milk stout side of life. The price is right as well, but only when you need to fill the last slot in your average mix six.

TubaManJack, Jun 11, 2012
3.25/5  rDev -14.5%

cuy50, Jun 11, 2012

vrbulldog22, Jun 08, 2012
3.48/5  rDev -8.4%

12oz bottle into Duvel tulip.

Appearance: Free pour yields a 3/4 inch frothy light tan head that dissipates quickly, leaving a tight semicircle of lacing. Pours black with brown highlights. Leaves several thin lacing arches.

Smell: Not much aroma. Some malty sweetness, maybe some vaguely Willamette-esque hops. With time, a nice sweet coffee note emerges. Remains too muted, but the character of the aroma is nice.

Taste: Sweet up front with some roasted malt, then a long roasted malt aftertaste follows the dry finish. Further sips reveal some coffee and cola flavors up front, with the malty sweetness blended with husky roasted malt staying strong. Dry, roasted malt dominated finish remains satisfying.

Repeated the phrase 'roasted malt' four times in the last paragraph--appropriately, really, since that's the main story here.

Mouthfeel: Full side of medium bodied. Moderate carbonation. Great dry finish as mentioned above (keeps the beer at a 3.0). Lactose seems to only be adding sweetness; this beer could use some more body and creaminess. Bit watery. Especially disappointing for a style defined by its creamy mouthfeel.

Overall: Honestly, the dry finish, inoffensive sweetness, and prominent roasted malt flavor makes this a satisfying stout fix. It's nothing spectacular, but if someone showed up at a party with a 6pack, I'd be happy to have one.

Pahn, Jun 07, 2012