2X Stout - Southern Tier Brewing Company

2X Stout2X Stout

Southern Tier Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

Milk / Sweet Stout |  7.50% ABV

(Beer added by: Morey on 12-18-2011)

4.03/5  rDev +5.8%

I picked up a bottle of Southern Tier's 2X Stout a couple days ago for $1.89 at The Lager Mill. I have had their 2X IPA before and I thought it was good so being the Stout lover that I am I thought I should try their 2X Stout, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date, but I think it's fairly fresh. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a imperial pint glass.

A- The label looks good and it has some nice dark colors to reflect the color of this beer, and I like the information provided on the label. It poured a straight up black color that didn't let any light come through and it had had three fingers worth of mocha colored head that died down to a thick ring that stayed till the end and left some nice spotty lacing. This is a damn good looking Milk Stout, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a large amount of dark roasted malts that have a medium amount of roast to them and impart some nice chocolate and coffee aromas with some nice roasted aromas and the chocolate sticking out the most to give this beer a cold mocha coffee like aroma. Next up is some sweet lactose that gives this beer a high amount of medium sweetness and imparts a creamy and milk like aroma followed by a slight grainy and caramel aroma. This beer has a good aroma that is true to style, I like it.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma and it starts off with a large amount dark roasted malts that have a pretty high amount of roast and impart some nice roasted flavors along with some coffee and chocolate with the coffee sticking out the most and the chocolate taking on a cocoa powder like flavors that showed up towards the end. Next I picked up some lactose sugars that give this beer a high amount of medium sweetness and imparts a light cream flavor. On the finish I get a really slight alcohol flavor with a higher amount of medium bitterness that has a charred malt like bitterness to it and it had a roasty and coffee like aftertaste with a little bit of cream. This beer tasted good and it was true to style, I don't really have any complaints.

M- Smooth, creamy, velvet like, dry, on the thick side of being medium bodied and it had a nice medium amount of carbonation. There's nothing off when it comes to the mouthfeel of this beer, I like it.

Overall I thought that this was a good beer and I thought that it was a good example that was pretty true to style, it highlighted the roasted malts and the sweet lactose just like a good example of this style should and it was easy to drink without being too filling. This beer had good drinkability, it went down pretty smooth and the flavors kept me interested, I could drink a couple of these but after that I think the sweetness would wear on me. What I liked most about this beer was how true to style it was, it was everything that I expect from the style and it looked damn good in my pint glass. What I liked least about this beer was nothing, there wasn't anything that I felt was out of place with this beer. I would buy this beer again, it was priced right and was just what I want in a Milk Stout, I will be buying this again when in the mood for the style and I highly recommend giving this beer a try if Milk Stouts are your thing. This turned out to be a good and really solid Milk Stout, I don't think of this as a double Milk Stout, to me it's just a good example of the style and not a double version of this style. I didn't like their Porter too much, but these 2X beers have impressed me, I am sad to see there are no more beers in this series, it would be nice to see a 2X Red Ale or a 2x Pilsener. Good job Southern Tier, I will be on the look out for more of your beers and I would love to try the barrel aged version of this beer one day.

3.38/5  rDev -11.3%

Opaque black with a mocha colored head. No lace nor retention. Boo, hiss.

Dark roast coffee and char aroma. Some burn sugary something in there as well.

Bold, grainy and full o' roast malt. Surprisingly, very little lactic sweetness. Char and slightly nutty.

Pretty monotone. ST says 2 hops and 2 malts and it shows. Simpler is not always better, I'd like more depth.

3.99/5  rDev +4.7%

Dark brown body and a thick, mocha colored head.

Lots of roasty chocolate in the nose, some lactose sweetness as well. Pretty on dimensional but I like it. I tasted a little milky sweetness but it was definitely in the back round. Hugely sweet chocolate and plenty of roasty char dominate this one. Again, not much in the way of complexity, but I thoroughly enjoyed my bottle.

3.95/5  rDev +3.7%

A - Pretty hard not to describe a stout other than pouring black like coffee. Has a thin layer of creamy head that's toffee colored and sticky.

S - Cocoa nibs, dark roasted chocolate, light vanilla cream, light caramel, and mocha.

T - Charcoal, dark cocoa, deep roasted chocolate, cream, with a finishing mocha bitterness that lingers along with bitter chocolate and light charcoal.

M - Medium body with a rich texture and enjoyable smoothness but a little on the thin side.

O - I've been wanting to try this one ever since it came out and have no excuses for waiting this. An straightforward and enjoyable stout that goes down quite easy.

2.5/5  rDev -34.4%

4.1/5  rDev +7.6%

Body is a total black hole except for a thin line of light brown highlights at the bottom edge. Light tan level head breaks down quickly. Thin lace but a lot of coverage.

Cafe au lait aroma evident at arm's lenght as soon as the bottle is uncapped. Up close, it's the same with some additional roastiness.

On the tongue, it's coffee au lait, coffee black, and a shot of chocolate syrup. Subtle hop bite at swallow. Everything blends in the finish.

Rich smooth mouthfeel as is wanted for the style.

A really tasty milk stout. Alcohol well hidden, seems more session than imperial. Recommended.

4.04/5  rDev +6%

Poured from 12 oz bottle into a pint glass. 2/23

Pours dark black. Fluffy brown head of foam. Sticks noticeably. Lots around the edges. Nose is milky with a faint coffee underneath. Taste opens burnt bitter but quickly overwhelmed by a milky creamy smooth layer. Little fizz has a pop and a close that pokes the hop through. Better bite than many lactose stouts. Well done.

4.25/5  rDev +11.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Southern Tier 2X Stout has a medium, cream-colored head, a dark brown, almost black, appearance, and just a little bit of lacing left behind. The aroma is a wonderful mix of milk/cream, dark-roasted malt, and sweet bread crust. Taste is the same, with low bitterness, but high acidity. Mouthfeel is heavy and slick, and Southern Tier 2X Stout finishes wet and sip-able.

RJT

3.58/5  rDev -6%

Had this on 2012-04-18 in Columbia, PA

A - Almost opaque dark brown with a 1.5-finger tan head and good lacing.

S - Milk chocolate, medium roasted grain, mocha coffee. Not real strong.

T - Milk chocolate, bold/burnt coffee with 3 teaspons of sugar and a big splash of whole milk, caramel and toffee, touch of dried dark fruit with bitterness that is more from the roast than hops. Finishes initially with well-balanced sweetness, tartness and bitterness. Long into the aftertaste, the tartness and bitterness is longer-lasting than the sweetness.

M - Medium body and light-medium carbonation. Smooth and creamy but not syrupy.

O - Reminds me of a Terrapin Wake N' Bake with some lactose sugar and tart cherry skins thrown in. I enjoyed it but would rather have a Founders Breakfast Stout.

4.1/5  rDev +7.6%

12oz bottle
Served in a perfect pint glass

A - It is not quite black as pitch. When held to a light source, ruby highlights come through. A meager pour gets me a thin film of tan head.

S - I get very rich roasted malt aromas. I get coffee and dark chocolate.

T - The richness carries over into the flavor. It is loaded with chocolate and roasted coffee.

M - Thick and creamy.

O - Initially, I loved the smell and taste of this beer and thought it was damn good. After a second beer I am noticing some flaws. The taste fades to more or a robust porter. The coffee and dark chocolate seem to lose their grip. It is very good, Maybe I am being too nitpicky.

2.43/5  rDev -36.2%

12 oz. bottle poured into a chalice.

A: Pours a very dark brown color with a faint burgundy hue when held up to the light. The head is a one finger mocha color that fades into a thickish collar around the glass in short order.

S: Mild dark and milk chocolates, a hint of caramel, and some roasted malts. A nice smelling beer, only hindered by its weak aroma.

T: Fruitier in the taste than in the smell. A light sensation of chocolate-covered cherries gives way to a finish of ash and lactic twang. Not much flavor or balance - can't say I'm a fan of this one, really.

M: The carbonation in this is pretty strong, to the point of almost detracting from the rest of the beer. Not much of an aftertaste, the finish trails off the palate too quickly.

O: I'm coming to the realization I don't like sweet stouts, most notably the lactose sugar presence they contain. Even taking that out of the equation, this simply isn't that good by the standards of the style. Worth a try if you really (and I mean really) like the style, I suppose, but I won't be revisiting this one - my first misfire from Southern Tier.

EDIT: I actually disliked this more than I thought, to the point where I couldn't finish more than half of it, ergo scores have been adjusted accordingly.

2X Stout from Southern Tier Brewing Company