2XMAS - Southern Tier Brewing Company

Southern Tier Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  8.00% ABV

Beer added by: CloudStrife on 10-29-2012

Brewed in the tradition of Swedish Glogg. Ale brewed with Figs, Orange peels, and spices. 2 varieties of hops and 4 types of malts.
Reviews: 245 | Hads: 1,361

If you love spices, especially cloves, you're in for a treat. Unfortunately, I despise cloves! Sadly, it's the 1st beer I've EVER poured down the drain after having 2 sips. Wish I checked my BA app before buying the 6 pack. My fault.

1.25/5  rDev -66.8%

VERY spice forward, with an aggressive, almost astringent cinnamon, clove, and allspice profile. Especially cloves. Huge cloves. And Cinnamon. There's allspice there, too. Not liking this. Not getting much else beyond the medicinal spices. Ugh. I'm not sure I can finish this. Not recomendied.

1.54/5  rDev -59%

OKAY, words cannot describe how bad this beer is. It has a beautiful color just like the 2X IPA, but it smells like a bad candle. And the taste, what on earth were they thinking? First off to take a beer as hoppy and citrisy as their 2X IPA and mix it with cinnamon seems bad enough, but it's like they put half a container of it in every beer. It has a painful taste, like chugging a bottle of cinnamon, I truly have no idea how anyone enjoys this beer and at the craft beer store I work at it is EASILY the most hated beer among the staff not just of the seasonals but of any beers. Never would expect this from Southern Tier.

1.68/5  rDev -55.3%

Ok, it said spiced beer, but this is awful. Tastes like someone drowned a gingerbread man in my beer. It tastes like a well made beer of a style that's not for me.

1.84/5  rDev -51.1%

Arrives a clear, bright, medium reddish brown with a small, creamy, light tan head. Retention is short. Inconsequential lacing.
Smell is menthol, like in cough drops, with some indeterminate fruit or malt note. The clove is so heavy here that it overpowers any other notes. I could find no fig, orange peel, hops or malt here.
Taste is exactly the same as the smell, sadly. Clove and spice is just a two-fisted punch to the palate that obliterates all other flavors. None of the listed flavors could be found with that much spice.
Medium body, sharp effervescence up front fades super fast. Medicinal/clove note just lasts forever. I like clove but not by the bucketload. Slightly warming. Nothing really to recommend it. Sorry.
This would be excellent to baste a ham. Mix it up with some brown sugar and reduce it then glaze that ham, man.

1.87/5  rDev -50.3%

Too much bull going on in this beer. Smelling christmas and tasting christmas are two different things entirely...After forcing down another half a beer, if you can call it that, I have to say that this jagermeister diarrhea with cloves. Absolutely terrible

Appearance: A reddish-brown with an average head.
Aroma: Def. oranges (almost smells like an A.C. casino circa 1995 that would use an orange deodorizer on carpets), and cloves stand out.
Taste: Kind of disappointing for the style. Lacks any real balance, just a face full of spices like cloves and cinnamon. Has a slight hop in the middle and a bit peppery. The alcohol is well hidden, but again, just too much in the clove department.

Overall: Their are much better choices for this style. Cheers!

Wow. That is unlike an any beer I've ever had. I appreciate it but not my favorite at all. The smell was pure pickled ginger, like the one you get when you get sushi. The overall taste was like a cleaning agent with lemon and ginger. I know that sounds weird but that's this beer in a nutshell. I usually love ST but this was not for me. First ever drain pour

2.35/5  rDev -37.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Clear dark amber color with a modest white head that dissipated quickly.

The aroma is all spice - nutmeg, cardamom, ginger?, who knows?

The tastes is also heavy on the spices upfront, after that subsides you can detect a definite fig and malt background but it is overwhelmed by the spices. This one is actually better warm as the background tastes come out a little more.

Light/medium bodied.

Overall, not a style I'm fond of but a lighter touch on the spices would make this more palatable.

2.37/5  rDev -37%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.25

S: Very bold spices, mace, clove, cardamom, cinnamon, just a spicy assault on the nose.

L: Dark crimson red, little white head and lacing.

T: Bold dark fruit up front with a very bold x-mas spice backbone. Medium low spicy bitterness with lots of cinnamon bread, figs and some orange tea. Fairly sweet caramal malt throughout. Finishes semi-dry with lingering baking spices.

M: Medium bodied, medium carbonation.

Extremetly bold in the baking spices. Like drinking spiced soup. nose was pleasant, but way too overwhelming in the taste.

2.47/5  rDev -34.3%

Heavily spiced with nutmeg, clove and ginger. Overly hopped with little malt balance. Dump the contents of your spice cabinet on your tongue all at one time and you'll get an approximation of this beer.

2.5/5  rDev -33.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Was unable to do more than 2 sips of this. This tasted like potpourri to me. Much the same way potpourri stings my eyes, this really disagreed with my palate.

2.5/5  rDev -33.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I had never tried this type of beer before, and when I popped the top, I was kind of offput by the smell...very pot pouri smelling. I didn't like the taste of it at all. But I can't say whether it was brewed badly, or I'm just not a fan of the style.

2.62/5  rDev -30.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

This review might be a bit more free-form than most because I'm tiring of the rigid structure I've been relying on of late. Reviewed live. "DOB: 11/15/13."

I picked up this 12 oz brown glass bottle recently; it has red and green label art and a branded black pry-off pressure cap. 8% ABV per the label. "Spiced beer" seems the best style to review this as since it purports to be brewed in the tradition of Swedish glogg.

Served cold into an Avery tulip and allowed to warm a bit as I drink it. Side-poured.

Head: Khaki in colour. One finger in width. Has a decent complexion, with okay creaminess and thickness. Pretty standard, with a below average (~1 minute) retention. No lacing sticks to the sides of the glass. Middling execution overall.

Body: Dark amber. Translucent when backlit, but not particularly vibrant. Quasitransparent. It's clean; I don't see any yeast particulate or hop sediment.

Appearance: Overall underwhelming. Carbonation seems off. It's not unique or special, but I'll buy it as a glogg-esque beer appearance. I can't say I'm impressed.

Aroma: It certainly evokes a mulled/spiced character, but I wouldn't say it smells like mulled wine per se as there aren't any wine notes. I think I'm getting allspice, nutmeg, orange peel/orange zest, clove, rosemary, and ginger.

Also dry fruitcake, sugarcane, and brown sugar.

It's breadier than most spiced beers I've had, but I think the main malt is amber malt. The spices overwhelm the malty foundation, though.

What I don't find is an obvious hop profile. I guess there are vague fruity hop notes, but it does have an obvious citrusy or floral or piney character. The beer's age (~5 months) might play a part in that.

Overall, it's a pleasing aroma of mild strength, and definitely delivers on the premise of the beer.

Texture: I like the subtle coarseness, which helps coax out the flavour, but I don't like the sticky syrupy viscous feel of the beer, which while nicely plump lends the beer an unbecoming filling vibe - like a meal in a glass. The medium to full body is good, but I think it's too thick considering the lack of diverse and deep flavour here. It has more heft than it needs to support its flavours. Carbonation is off. Overall presence on the palate is okay, but by no means is this mouthfeel a perfect complement to the taste.

Not oily, gushed, hot, boozy, astringent, or harsh.

Taste: There's a weird metallic note on the finish, which I despise.

It's quite sweet, but I think it unfair to call it cloying; the sweetness kind of works for the whole mulled wine thing they're after. And the spices are apt: allspice, nutmeg, maybe cinnamon, light clove, faint ginger, and rosemary. They overwhelm the amber malt body, which is unremarkable anyway. The orange peel isn't as strong here as the aroma suggested, which is disappointed. And as far as the fig mentioned on the label? I search for it, but don't find it.

There is an alcohol presence here which I'm not sure works for it. No overt hop profile comes through, nor does any yeast character.

It's a bit too overbearing to be balanced, and forget about subtlety - there's none here. Southern Tier has confused muddled complicated-ness with artful complexity and intricacy; more ingredients do not make a better beer if the flavour profile is an unfocused mess. I dig the Swedish glogg premise, but this taste ultimately doesn't deliver; it's not the beer version, just a poor wine imitation. The build has a loose cohesion, but it's far from gestalt - I could change, substitute, or remove many notes and the beer wouldn't lose anything essential. This beer is the sum of its parts, and nothing more.

Dr: My problem with Southern Tier is usually that they seem to believe more ingredients equals a better beer - it's right there on the label. Look how many malts and hops and spices we used! We've quantified it for you, so the quality must be high. This beer is evidence of where that line of thinking can take you. While it has some interesting components that help evoke mulled wine, it doesn't really hold its own as a beer. If you got this blind at a bar with no knowledge they were going for mulled wine, you'd have trouble appreciating it. I wouldn't buy it again, and I think it's a pretty weak seasonal. Underwhelming but well-intentioned. Subpar work from Southern Tier.

2.64/5  rDev -29.8%

Dark Amber color with great head and mild carbonation. You can smell this beer from across the room. Lots of spice, fruit like fig, sweetness for aroma. Very strong flavors of black pepper, spice, fruit. Overly spiced which ruins it. Not good this year. Someone had a heavy hand with those spices.

2.66/5  rDev -29.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Smells great. Cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, ginger with a subtle citrus twist. As it warms the fig really comes out. Smells like it would be sweet.
Extremely bitter. Bitter beer face bitter. The hoppy aftertaste is way too much.
I poured this one out for my homies.

2.78/5  rDev -26.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

My last 2014 Christmas beer, (unless I pick up one more Krampus, I saw my local still has). Clear thin amber color, with light colored head. Smells is strong nutmeg, and spice. I pick up some cinnamon as well. Taste kind of,...well actually, just like potpourii. Mouthfeel is thin light and just slightly bitter, but definitely not really sweet. Overall, it's OK. I think I would have rated this a bit higher before Christmas, but now after the holidays, somethings wore off. With that said I will look forward to another six pack next Christmas, but I will drink all of it before the holiday is over. Guess some things aren't better if you wait.

2.8/5  rDev -25.5%

I had a bottle of this last night, and I'm trying to do a better job of reviewing beer, so here are my notes from last night:

A - dark brown, more of a deep chocolate mocha, not much lacing on the glass from the off-white small amount of head this beer produced upon pouring.

S - lots of spice, but to be expected from the type of style it is. I got cinnamon and nutmeg mainly, with a little allspice and clove, this made me think this beer was more of an autumn/pumpkin seasonal than winter seasonal.

T - all the spices listed above were present, and on the finish there is a distinct sweetness that lingers of which I'm not a huge fan. It also had the toffee note of a dark brown ale.

M - just enough body to let you know you're drinking a winter seasonal, but nothing more nothing less. It was not watery or thin or anything of that nature.

O - I enjoyed the beer, it is just not high on my list of beers to have if I have the choice. I was glad to try it, and I'm glad I only bought one, because with the sweetness, more than 12oz would have been too much for me. Just not my kind of beer.

2.96/5  rDev -21.3%

Poured into a snifter.

Deep garnet with a 1/2 finger of head that dissipates immediately. Good clarity and very low carbonation.

Ginger, cinnamon, candy sugar, orange zest and biscuit.

Very spice forward with ginger root and cinnamon. Honey, caramel and biscuit. Some fig, black licorice and orange zest.

Medium-full bodied, crisp and spicy.

I was really hoping for more fig. Really over-spiced and somewhat cloying, but the alcohol is well hidden.

3.03/5  rDev -19.4%

Bottled on 10-18-12. 12oz bottle poured into a pint glass. Pours a dark auburn with red and brown hues. Fluffy off-white head which fades and leaves really nice lacing and retention. The aromas are full of orange zest, cherries, cinnamon and malts. The other spices are noticeable in the nose, but not dominating. The flavors are bitter. Not sweet at all. There's more cinnamon along with some ginger and nutmeg. Dark fruits are present. The flavors seem to fall flat and don't leave an impression. It's not hot or boozy, but leaves an alcohol aftertaste. Mouthfeel is nice, moderate carbonation and smooth. It's on the lighter side of full-bodied.

I was really hoping Southern Tier used their Pumking magic with this beer, but no. I'm a huge fan of the spiced Christmas ales, but this one is lacking flavor. It's similar to Great Lakes Christmas Ale and Thirsty Dog 12 Dogs of Christmas, but lacks the depth. I was expecting something bolder from Southern Tier.

3.04/5  rDev -19.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

Southern Tier 2xMas has an extremely thin, off-white head, a clear, burgundy appearance, with no bubble streams and no lacing left behind. The aroma is of mixed spices- and, this is very strong- with a background of sweet bread. Taste is of spices, particularly white pepper and sweet bread. Mouthfeel is medium and a bit slick, and Southern Tier 2xMas finishes semi-dry, spicy, and rich. Overall, this is another crummy spiced/flavored beer, of which serious beer drinkers are so weary. It is okay for beer in general, but maybe most excellent in the insipid spiced beer genre. It is what it is.

3.07/5  rDev -18.4%

This beer smells like Christmas. Heavily spiced with cinnamon, cardamom, and nutmeg I think.

Red in color, like Santa's suit. It has no speakable head, but laces nicely. Completely clear, albiet dark.

This beer tastes like Christmas. Sugar cookies, cinnamon, nutmeg, almond, lots and lots of spice in this beer. It tastes good, but isn't really to my liking. It has a medium body with low carbonation. I probably wouldn't buy this one again, it's the first Southern Tier that I really didn't care for. I much prefer Krampus.

3.1/5  rDev -17.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Poured bottle into glass. 8% abv.

Appearance- Deep red/dark brown. Not unlike the color of root beer. Moderate puffy head.

Smell- Nutmeg and cinnamon spices dominate. A slight hint of orange peel citrus.

Taste- Sweet maltiness of caramel first. Then extremely spicy much like the smell. After the initial sweetness, it is as if you have a mouthful of nutmeg. Hoppy/piney bitterness in the aftertaste but the spices linger all the way through.

Mouthfeel- Medium to high heaviness, still smooth with medium carbonation.

Overall- A decent beer. As noted the spices were a bit overbearing personally, but then again the style is an "herbed/spiced beer" so can't detract from that based on what it is. Still smooth however and does have ample complexity. Claims it is brewed with figs, spices, 4 malts and 2 hops which accurate to the taste. With an X-mas themed bottle and cool name, why not give it a try, tis the season!

3.1/5  rDev -17.6%

Well it's smissmas time so I figure I'd be jolly.

Pours a transparent copper color with a thin tan head that evaporates quickly. Smells of cinnamon, oranges, caramom, ginger, lemon zest. Flavor is interesting, quite intense. It is sweet and rich but it has strong aftertaste of hops and all the other spices that are present. A bit off putting. It is medium bodied and well carbonated, strong after taste. Overall, this was alright, it wasn't horrible but I do need to wash out this weird aftertaste.

3.12/5  rDev -17%

Pours a copper reddish with a very small slight off white head. Head dissipates rather quickly. Smell is cloves and banana and cinnamon and bubble gum. My God it smells like Christmas. Medium mouthfeel with plenty of carbonation. The taste is very interesting. It was a good bit piney-er than I expected. A bit of alcohol warmth. Honestly, there’s a little too much going on tastewise - all the smells are represented in the flavor - maybe just a bit too much. Not really sure if I like the taste, but I know I like the smell a whole lot more.

2XMAS from Southern Tier Brewing Company