1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

2XMAS - Southern Tier Brewing Company

2XMAS2XMAS

good

Southern Tier Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  8.00% ABV

Brewed in the tradition of Swedish Glogg. Ale brewed with Figs, Orange peels, and spices. 2 varieties of hops and 4 types of malts.

(Beer added by: CloudStrife on 10-29-2012)
3.83/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Served in a DC Brau tulip

A: Poured ruby red and without much cloudiness. A slight head.

S: I got ginger overall. Still, the bottle dictated lots of cool Christmas spices. The bottle was right.

T: More cinnamon than I'm used to, but since I love the spice, I'll give it a pass. Got a good bit of Allspice too.

M: Good for what it was: A nice, single, Christmas-themed brew. Carbonation was low, lacing….. nill.

O: As a Christmas brew, this did the job.

Chaney, Dec 21, 2013

WDJersey, Jan 01, 2013
3.46/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

I suppose by the time one gets to Valentines Day the Xmas beers should be done.
So, nice and pleasing spicing that is dominant but not too strong. KInd of has a brandy atoma. Some malt backing.
Pours without much head. Dark bronze and very clear.
Surprisingly dry and doesn't drink like brandy. Spice are showing a little more age her than in the aroma and thus are less fresh and more dull in presentation. Firmer malt base here. Really drying, did I say that already?
Moderate to higher body. Lower carbonation that is soft.
This is fine enough. Nothing to write home about, but not a problem or a disaster either. It became a little more annoying in time.

garymuchow, Feb 08, 2013

buckyp, Feb 26, 2013

JohnK17, Dec 11, 2012

kwjd, Dec 08, 2013
2.78/5  rDev -25.1%

I had a bottle of this last night, and I'm trying to do a better job of reviewing beer, so here are my notes from last night:

A - dark brown, more of a deep chocolate mocha, not much lacing on the glass from the off-white small amount of head this beer produced upon pouring.

S - lots of spice, but to be expected from the type of style it is. I got cinnamon and nutmeg mainly, with a little allspice and clove, this made me think this beer was more of an autumn/pumpkin seasonal than winter seasonal.

T - all the spices listed above were present, and on the finish there is a distinct sweetness that lingers of which I'm not a huge fan. It also had the toffee note of a dark brown ale.

M - just enough body to let you know you're drinking a winter seasonal, but nothing more nothing less. It was not watery or thin or anything of that nature.

O - I enjoyed the beer, it is just not high on my list of beers to have if I have the choice. I was glad to try it, and I'm glad I only bought one, because with the sweetness, more than 12oz would have been too much for me. Just not my kind of beer.

TX-Badger, Dec 18, 2013

Immortale25, Nov 20, 2012
4.25/5  rDev +14.6%

lupercmda, Nov 27, 2012

Falcone, Dec 02, 2012

Tyrawlings, Sep 17, 2013

Lovely85, Jan 13, 2013
3.88/5  rDev +4.6%

A-Clear brown, amber in the light, not much carbonation

S-Very spice heavy, cinnamon and nutmeg dominate, some caramel as well.

T-Sweet with spices, cinnamon dominates, caramel is there, tad bit of nutmeg and some other spices.

M-Medium bodied, nice carbonation.

O-A solid winter brew, very spice heavy which hurt the balance.

rlee1390, Dec 30, 2012

hollywood_15063, Nov 15, 2012
3.25/5  rDev -12.4%

2dogbrew, Dec 24, 2012
3.71/5  rDev 0%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Bottle purchased at Beers of the World in Henrietta, NY.

Pours a golden brown color, with a half inch head, and a little bit of lacing down the glass.

Smells spicy (not in the hot way)- cinnamon, nutmeg, and brown sugar.

It tastes basically the same- quite Christmasy- as expected- molasses, gingerbread, brown sugar, and candied fruits. There is a bit of an orange peel flavor, with cinnamon and nutmeg. There are a lot of cool flavors in this, but they don't always seem to mesh very well.

Medium bodied, slightly creamy mouthfeel, medium carbonation.

Not a bad Christmas seasonal, but needs a little bit of cleaning up.

GreesyFizeek, Mar 06, 2013
4.25/5  rDev +14.6%

Morey, May 20, 2014

JamLand, Nov 24, 2013
4.05/5  rDev +9.2%

I picked up a bottle of Southern Tier's 2XMAS last week for $1.89 at The Lager Mill. I've heard good things about this beer so when I saw it at the store I decided to give it a chance, so lets see how it goes. 2012 Vintage. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a tulip.

A- The label is nice and a little eye catching with a nice Christmas theme to it. It poured a nice darker amber color that took one some nice ruby hues when held to the light with two fingers worth of darker tan head that died down to a thin ring that eventually faded to nothing and left some patch lacing behind. This is a good looking beer, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with loads of spices with cinnamon and nutmeg sticking out the most, but it's got all the spices that make me think of the holidays. After that comes a medium amount of sweetness with some nice dark fruits with raisin and figs sticking out the most followed by some malty, molasses and honey like aromas. Towards the end I get a slight earthy hop aroma. This beer had a really good aroma, it smelled like Christmas in a glass, I really liked it.

T- The taste seems to pretty similar to the aroma, it starts off with a medium amount of sweetness followed some malts that impart some dark bread, and grainy flavors with some molasses and honey coming through, After that comes the dark fruits that are a little on the lighter side and impart a nice fig flavor. Next comes the spice which aren't overpowering and have all the nice spices that I picked up in the aroma. On the finish there's a little bit of alcohol and a slight earthy hop flavor followed by a medium amount of bitterness and a sweet, malty, spicy, and fig like aftertaste. This was a good tasting beer, it was fairly balanced, the spices weren't overpowering and the figs added some nice complexity that I don't normally get in these Spiced Beers, I liked it.

M- Fairly smooth, a little sticky, a little dry, medium bodied with a nice amount of medium carbonation. This beer had a nice mouthfeel but it would be a little better if it wasn't sticky.

Overall I thought this was a good beer and a good example of the style, it had all the things that I look for in the style and little more complexity and balance than I normally find in this style, I thought that worked pretty well with this beer. This beer had ok drinkability, it went down fairly smooth and the flavor held my attention but I don't think that I would want to follow it up with another one. What I like the most about this beer was the aroma , it's pretty intense with lots of spices going on, like I said it smells like Christmas in a glass. What I liked the least about this beer was the mouthfeel, it wasn't bad at all, but I could go with out the stickyness. I would buy a couple bottles for Christmas next year but this isn't a beer I'll be really stocking up on, I recommend giving this a try if your in the mood for a good spiced Christmas Ale. All in all I was pretty happy with this beer, it was pretty fitting for the holiday season and the aroma and taste seemed to embody Christmas in beer form. Southern Tier seems to be a pretty solid brewery and I think all three beers in the 2X series are good, I hope to see some new beers added to this series. Good job Southern Tier this is a nice Holiday brew, it makes me want to throw some logs in the fireplace.

StoutHunter, Dec 23, 2012
4.15/5  rDev +11.9%

The beer pours a dark, red-brown color with a dense, fluffy tan head that fades, but never completely dissipates. The nose is rich and spicy with notes of nutmeg, cinnamon, and brown sugar. It's very appealing considering the different spice profile ST used in this beer compared to other over-the-top winter warmers It's almost like the goose island winter brown ale for comparison. The taste is well spiced with a modest fig sweetness and semi-dry finish. It drinks like liquid dessert, but doesn't get old. The body is rich and inviting. Honestly, this may be one of my favorite winter beers considering the unique spice profile, drinkability, price, and availability. I just want to get into a wool turtleneck and eat a winter ham while drinking this beer.

ThePorterSorter, Nov 10, 2012
3.68/5  rDev -0.8%

Pours a clear reddish-amber color with a half inch light tan head that dissipates fairly quickly, leaving no lacing. Probably residue in the glass.

Smells like gingerbread. Clove, cinnamon, ginger, and brown sugar combine with floral hops and figs to create a perfumey bouquet.

Flavor reveals more ginger, nutmeg, cinnamon, and a bit of a cloyingly sweet sorghum and toasted bready malt backbone. There's a buttery graham cracker character, as well. Notes of cola and dark fruit surface at the finish, which is rounded out by a hint of citrus. There's a lingering bitterness.

Body is fairly thick, slightly syrupy, with moderate carbonation lifting the flavor from the palate to prevent it from being overly cloying.

Overall, the spice character was not as offputting as some. There's good balance of the various spices, as opposed to some that are more dominant in one spice. That said, it's still a spice bomb. The bready malt counters the spices fairly well, but the sweetness is also over the top.

barczar, Dec 19, 2012

DaPan, Apr 11, 2013
4.5/5  rDev +21.3%

Stinger80OH, Jan 25, 2014

Chugs13, Nov 25, 2013
3.48/5  rDev -6.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: copper/bubbly body, trace head, no lacing

S: orange peel, spices, fig, clove, bready malt

T: orange peel, malt, clove, spices, mild fig/boozy finish

M: med body, mild smooth/firm bubbly mouth
hint of dry in finish

O: Like ST, but this was not my fav. Might give it another go,
recommend to spice/herb/Christmas beer lovers.
I do love ST bombers and love this time of year for beer.

PRETTY GOOD, NOT MUST HAVE!

BeerLover99, Nov 16, 2012