2XMAS - Southern Tier Brewing Company

good

Southern Tier Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  8.00% ABV

Brewed in the tradition of Swedish Glogg. Ale brewed with Figs, Orange peels, and spices. 2 varieties of hops and 4 types of malts.

(Beer added by: CloudStrife on 10-29-2012)
buckyp

3.25/5  rDev -12.4%

12-24-2012 20:17:09 | More by 2dogbrew
TX-Badger

2.78/5  rDev -25.1%

I had a bottle of this last night, and I'm trying to do a better job of reviewing beer, so here are my notes from last night:

A - dark brown, more of a deep chocolate mocha, not much lacing on the glass from the off-white small amount of head this beer produced upon pouring.

S - lots of spice, but to be expected from the type of style it is. I got cinnamon and nutmeg mainly, with a little allspice and clove, this made me think this beer was more of an autumn/pumpkin seasonal than winter seasonal.

T - all the spices listed above were present, and on the finish there is a distinct sweetness that lingers of which I'm not a huge fan. It also had the toffee note of a dark brown ale.

M - just enough body to let you know you're drinking a winter seasonal, but nothing more nothing less. It was not watery or thin or anything of that nature.

O - I enjoyed the beer, it is just not high on my list of beers to have if I have the choice. I was glad to try it, and I'm glad I only bought one, because with the sweetness, more than 12oz would have been too much for me. Just not my kind of beer.

12-18-2013 16:27:40 | More by TX-Badger

11-27-2012 02:43:53 | More by lupercmda
rlee1390

Indiana

3.88/5  rDev +4.6%

A-Clear brown, amber in the light, not much carbonation

S-Very spice heavy, cinnamon and nutmeg dominate, some caramel as well.

T-Sweet with spices, cinnamon dominates, caramel is there, tad bit of nutmeg and some other spices.

M-Medium bodied, nice carbonation.

O-A solid winter brew, very spice heavy which hurt the balance.

12-30-2012 00:15:02 | More by rlee1390

Chugs13

11-25-2013 00:11:15 | More by Chugs13
GreesyFizeek

3.71/5  rDev 0%

Bottle purchased at Beers of the World in Henrietta, NY.

Pours a golden brown color, with a half inch head, and a little bit of lacing down the glass.

Smells spicy (not in the hot way)- cinnamon, nutmeg, and brown sugar.

It tastes basically the same- quite Christmasy- as expected- molasses, gingerbread, brown sugar, and candied fruits. There is a bit of an orange peel flavor, with cinnamon and nutmeg. There are a lot of cool flavors in this, but they don't always seem to mesh very well.

Medium bodied, slightly creamy mouthfeel, medium carbonation.

Not a bad Christmas seasonal, but needs a little bit of cleaning up.

03-06-2013 00:23:32 | More by GreesyFizeek
ThePorterSorter

Missouri

4.15/5  rDev +11.9%

The beer pours a dark, red-brown color with a dense, fluffy tan head that fades, but never completely dissipates. The nose is rich and spicy with notes of nutmeg, cinnamon, and brown sugar. It's very appealing considering the different spice profile ST used in this beer compared to other over-the-top winter warmers It's almost like the goose island winter brown ale for comparison. The taste is well spiced with a modest fig sweetness and semi-dry finish. It drinks like liquid dessert, but doesn't get old. The body is rich and inviting. Honestly, this may be one of my favorite winter beers considering the unique spice profile, drinkability, price, and availability. I just want to get into a wool turtleneck and eat a winter ham while drinking this beer.

11-10-2012 02:16:51 | More by ThePorterSorter
StoutHunter

4.05/5  rDev +9.2%

I picked up a bottle of Southern Tier's 2XMAS last week for $1.89 at The Lager Mill. I've heard good things about this beer so when I saw it at the store I decided to give it a chance, so lets see how it goes. 2012 Vintage. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a tulip.

A- The label is nice and a little eye catching with a nice Christmas theme to it. It poured a nice darker amber color that took one some nice ruby hues when held to the light with two fingers worth of darker tan head that died down to a thin ring that eventually faded to nothing and left some patch lacing behind. This is a good looking beer, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with loads of spices with cinnamon and nutmeg sticking out the most, but it's got all the spices that make me think of the holidays. After that comes a medium amount of sweetness with some nice dark fruits with raisin and figs sticking out the most followed by some malty, molasses and honey like aromas. Towards the end I get a slight earthy hop aroma. This beer had a really good aroma, it smelled like Christmas in a glass, I really liked it.

T- The taste seems to pretty similar to the aroma, it starts off with a medium amount of sweetness followed some malts that impart some dark bread, and grainy flavors with some molasses and honey coming through, After that comes the dark fruits that are a little on the lighter side and impart a nice fig flavor. Next comes the spice which aren't overpowering and have all the nice spices that I picked up in the aroma. On the finish there's a little bit of alcohol and a slight earthy hop flavor followed by a medium amount of bitterness and a sweet, malty, spicy, and fig like aftertaste. This was a good tasting beer, it was fairly balanced, the spices weren't overpowering and the figs added some nice complexity that I don't normally get in these Spiced Beers, I liked it.

M- Fairly smooth, a little sticky, a little dry, medium bodied with a nice amount of medium carbonation. This beer had a nice mouthfeel but it would be a little better if it wasn't sticky.

Overall I thought this was a good beer and a good example of the style, it had all the things that I look for in the style and little more complexity and balance than I normally find in this style, I thought that worked pretty well with this beer. This beer had ok drinkability, it went down fairly smooth and the flavor held my attention but I don't think that I would want to follow it up with another one. What I like the most about this beer was the aroma , it's pretty intense with lots of spices going on, like I said it smells like Christmas in a glass. What I liked the least about this beer was the mouthfeel, it wasn't bad at all, but I could go with out the stickyness. I would buy a couple bottles for Christmas next year but this isn't a beer I'll be really stocking up on, I recommend giving this a try if your in the mood for a good spiced Christmas Ale. All in all I was pretty happy with this beer, it was pretty fitting for the holiday season and the aroma and taste seemed to embody Christmas in beer form. Southern Tier seems to be a pretty solid brewery and I think all three beers in the 2X series are good, I hope to see some new beers added to this series. Good job Southern Tier this is a nice Holiday brew, it makes me want to throw some logs in the fireplace.

12-23-2012 04:47:15 | More by StoutHunter

3.25/5  rDev -12.4%

08-26-2014 17:07:57 | More by malfunxion
BeerLover99

3.48/5  rDev -6.2%

A: copper/bubbly body, trace head, no lacing

S: orange peel, spices, fig, clove, bready malt

T: orange peel, malt, clove, spices, mild fig/boozy finish

M: med body, mild smooth/firm bubbly mouth
hint of dry in finish

O: Like ST, but this was not my fav. Might give it another go,
recommend to spice/herb/Christmas beer lovers.
I do love ST bombers and love this time of year for beer.

PRETTY GOOD, NOT MUST HAVE!

11-16-2012 20:43:23 | More by BeerLover99