2XMAS - Southern Tier Brewing Company

Southern Tier Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  8.00% ABV

Beer added by: CloudStrife on 10-29-2012

Brewed in the tradition of Swedish Glogg. Ale brewed with Figs, Orange peels, and spices. 2 varieties of hops and 4 types of malts.

3.84/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Served in a DC Brau tulip

A: Poured ruby red and without much cloudiness. A slight head.

S: I got ginger overall. Still, the bottle dictated lots of cool Christmas spices. The bottle was right.

T: More cinnamon than I'm used to, but since I love the spice, I'll give it a pass. Got a good bit of Allspice too.

M: Good for what it was: A nice, single, Christmas-themed brew. Carbonation was low, lacing….. nill.

O: As a Christmas brew, this did the job.

2.5/5  rDev -32.1%

3.76/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This beer appeared dark amber and clear, but it's most expressive quality was the smell. Very spice-cake in nature, cinnamon, ginger, allspice, maybe even a little like some pumpkin beers. Very strong and warning.

The taste followed the nose mostly, but was more carbonated than expected, and not as strong. The taste added some gingerbread notes, and still worked as a beer. The feel wasn't string but worked well with the beer overall.

This is a nice beer to grab one of for a change of pace, but not sure you can have too many without tiring of it.

3.41/5  rDev -7.3%

On tap in a pint glass.

A- Good looking dark ruby red color, off white head, 2 finger, lots of lacing and carbonation.

S- Lots and lots of spice. Some fruits like orange just make it smell more spicy. Cinnamon, clove, etc. to the point, wooden.

T- Spicy holiday pastry. Cedar notes deep in the back. Over the top.

M- Lots of body, hearty. Dry.

O- It left me craving for a hoppy beer.

3.04/5  rDev -17.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

Southern Tier 2xMas has an extremely thin, off-white head, a clear, burgundy appearance, with no bubble streams and no lacing left behind. The aroma is of mixed spices- and, this is very strong- with a background of sweet bread. Taste is of spices, particularly white pepper and sweet bread. Mouthfeel is medium and a bit slick, and Southern Tier 2xMas finishes semi-dry, spicy, and rich. Overall, this is another crummy spiced/flavored beer, of which serious beer drinkers are so weary. It is okay for beer in general, but maybe most excellent in the insipid spiced beer genre. It is what it is.

RJT

2.8/5  rDev -23.9%

I had a bottle of this last night, and I'm trying to do a better job of reviewing beer, so here are my notes from last night:

A - dark brown, more of a deep chocolate mocha, not much lacing on the glass from the off-white small amount of head this beer produced upon pouring.

S - lots of spice, but to be expected from the type of style it is. I got cinnamon and nutmeg mainly, with a little allspice and clove, this made me think this beer was more of an autumn/pumpkin seasonal than winter seasonal.

T - all the spices listed above were present, and on the finish there is a distinct sweetness that lingers of which I'm not a huge fan. It also had the toffee note of a dark brown ale.

M - just enough body to let you know you're drinking a winter seasonal, but nothing more nothing less. It was not watery or thin or anything of that nature.

O - I enjoyed the beer, it is just not high on my list of beers to have if I have the choice. I was glad to try it, and I'm glad I only bought one, because with the sweetness, more than 12oz would have been too much for me. Just not my kind of beer.

4.25/5  rDev +15.5%

4.03/5  rDev +9.5%

Southern Tier "2XMAS"
12 oz. bottle, no apparent freshness dating.
$1.99 @ Wegmans, Collegeville, PA

Well it smells of Xmas cheer! Or of spice anyway. I mainly get cinnamon, but I'm also finding orange peel. Perhaps some nutmeg, maybe not, but there's something that rounds it out. For all I know, it could be the malt. Whatever, it's quite pleasant, and certainly not overtly bold. Oh, wait, it's the fig. How could I miss it? I grow figs in my garden and can and sell preserves made from them.

As for looks, it's pretty sharp in that category as well. A fluffy head of tan caps a clear, ruby and deep chestnut body. If you look closely you can see very fine bubbles rising here and there.

It almost looks as if it lacks carbonation, but that is not the case. The super-fine bubbles delicately bristle on the tip of your tongue. Maybe they're just not coming out of solution because it's a fairly malty beer, with a fairly hefty body. Definitely full I'd say.

The flavor is as the aroma suggests, with a bit more wallop to it. The spice is brighter, and there's a flicker of alcohol to it - or perhaps the alcohol is just suggesting more spice? Or vice-versa. Regardless, they work together and it's got a bit of brashness to it. The orange peel remains and I'm finding some other spices. Given the zing that it's got, I wouldn't rule out ginger. A good deal of caramel malt is present as well, holding the whole thing together of course, and it's both golden and dark. It's a good balance, getting close, but not quite to the point of suggesting burnt brown sugar.

The bitterness is kept in check, and it's a good thing because with all of that spice it's certainly not needed. Which brings me to hops: 2 varieties are used, one for bittering we'll assume, and one for flavor. I didn't find it until about halfway through the glass, but yes indeed, there is a hop flavor to it: leafy, piney, and maybe grassy and floral, although it's hard to tell what's what with orange peel and spice floating about. The further I go, the more it warms and separates, and the more individual notes start to appear. Clove, definitely. Green cardamom? Hmmm, I do find the flavor of that of candy-coated cardamom you grab on the way out of an Indian restaurant.

So to sum up, it's quite an interesting beer. It's got some complexity to it. If you like spiced beers you'll love it. I really enjoy them at Thanksgiving and Xmas get togethers, and I always bring a few with me to pass around, but I have a feeling that Uncle Joe is NOT going to like this one. That's OK, he likes Old Fezziwig - I'll have another one of these!

2.5/5  rDev -32.1%