2XMAS - Southern Tier Brewing Company

good

Southern Tier Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  8.00% ABV

Brewed in the tradition of Swedish Glogg. Ale brewed with Figs, Orange peels, and spices. 2 varieties of hops and 4 types of malts.

(Beer added by: CloudStrife on 10-29-2012)

3.25/5  rDev -11.9%

Pours a deep amber brown color with a half inch of off-white. Aromas of pine, clove, cinnamon and citrus zest aroma, a little yeast. Flavors of clove, cinnamon, nutmeg, anise and roasty malts. Tartness and warmth is certainly supplied by ABV and malt. Medium mouthfeel along with some soft carbonation throughout. Finish offers a doughy feel and a spicy taste. Overall, a really nice holiday surprise for 2012.

2.5/5  rDev -32.2%

4.25/5  rDev +15.2%

3.85/5  rDev +4.3%

1.5 finger head with nice lacing on a clear, deep copper amber body. Brown sugar, milk chocolate, caramel and bready malts, with herbs of cinnamon and nutmeg. Flavors follows well with caramel, bread malts, brown sugar and more spices, mostly nutmeg and cinnamon again which perfectly go with the season. Medium body ad light to moderate carbonation. A nice seasonal. Not all that different from many of this genre as a winter release but still good nonetheless.

3.75/5  rDev +1.6%

A: Clear, deep ruby red with a slightly yellow, off-white head that builds nicely and dissipates slowly leaving behind no lace at all with just a foam ring of retention. Oily, it seems.

S: I'm glad I saved this for Christmas Eve. Big holiday spice nose. I get the orange peel and fig, but also raisins, earth, moss, spiced cake, nutmeg, dark fruit preserves, and a bit of roasted malt. There's something in there I can't decipher. As it warms, it seems to get hotter and the aromas meld into just spices. Strange.

T: Interesting. Properly spiced. The fruit flavors are pleasant and the sweetness is never overwhelming. The roasted malt and alcohol show themselves more as the beer warms. About half way through the bottle the spices and sweetness end up becoming a bit overwhelming.

M: Nice carbonation, pleasant malt and fruit flavors, but also a bit cloying. Seems to be too much going on. Enjoyable, though, and drinkable for what it is. Medium-to-heavy body.

O: I've never had Swedish Glogg but I can imagine this being an accurate representation of the style because it goes well with cold weather. The flavors are strong as is the ABV but it comes together to make a good beer for the season. One bottle is enough, though, and I'm glad I didn't get a 6-pack.

4.75/5  rDev +28.7%

3.25/5  rDev -11.9%

4.5/5  rDev +22%

4.5/5  rDev +22%

4.05/5  rDev +9.8%

I picked up a bottle of Southern Tier's 2XMAS last week for $1.89 at The Lager Mill. I've heard good things about this beer so when I saw it at the store I decided to give it a chance, so lets see how it goes. 2012 Vintage. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a tulip.

A- The label is nice and a little eye catching with a nice Christmas theme to it. It poured a nice darker amber color that took one some nice ruby hues when held to the light with two fingers worth of darker tan head that died down to a thin ring that eventually faded to nothing and left some patch lacing behind. This is a good looking beer, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with loads of spices with cinnamon and nutmeg sticking out the most, but it's got all the spices that make me think of the holidays. After that comes a medium amount of sweetness with some nice dark fruits with raisin and figs sticking out the most followed by some malty, molasses and honey like aromas. Towards the end I get a slight earthy hop aroma. This beer had a really good aroma, it smelled like Christmas in a glass, I really liked it.

T- The taste seems to pretty similar to the aroma, it starts off with a medium amount of sweetness followed some malts that impart some dark bread, and grainy flavors with some molasses and honey coming through, After that comes the dark fruits that are a little on the lighter side and impart a nice fig flavor. Next comes the spice which aren't overpowering and have all the nice spices that I picked up in the aroma. On the finish there's a little bit of alcohol and a slight earthy hop flavor followed by a medium amount of bitterness and a sweet, malty, spicy, and fig like aftertaste. This was a good tasting beer, it was fairly balanced, the spices weren't overpowering and the figs added some nice complexity that I don't normally get in these Spiced Beers, I liked it.

M- Fairly smooth, a little sticky, a little dry, medium bodied with a nice amount of medium carbonation. This beer had a nice mouthfeel but it would be a little better if it wasn't sticky.

Overall I thought this was a good beer and a good example of the style, it had all the things that I look for in the style and little more complexity and balance than I normally find in this style, I thought that worked pretty well with this beer. This beer had ok drinkability, it went down fairly smooth and the flavor held my attention but I don't think that I would want to follow it up with another one. What I like the most about this beer was the aroma , it's pretty intense with lots of spices going on, like I said it smells like Christmas in a glass. What I liked the least about this beer was the mouthfeel, it wasn't bad at all, but I could go with out the stickyness. I would buy a couple bottles for Christmas next year but this isn't a beer I'll be really stocking up on, I recommend giving this a try if your in the mood for a good spiced Christmas Ale. All in all I was pretty happy with this beer, it was pretty fitting for the holiday season and the aroma and taste seemed to embody Christmas in beer form. Southern Tier seems to be a pretty solid brewery and I think all three beers in the 2X series are good, I hope to see some new beers added to this series. Good job Southern Tier this is a nice Holiday brew, it makes me want to throw some logs in the fireplace.

4.25/5  rDev +15.2%

4.38/5  rDev +18.7%

Served from a growler from Ale Yeah, Roswell, GA into a Westmalle chalise.

A:A slightly muted brown with a hint of red ruby. A light lacing that chases away quickly.

S: All of the Christmas herb/spice goodness on the nose that you would expect from a Christmas beer.

T: If you are afraid of over the top holidy brews then this beer is for you. Don't let the scent throw you. This is a well-balanced beer. It keeps with the style and carries a good bit of herb and spice on the front of the tongue with a nice carmel in the middle and a little bit of hops throughout to balance it all out.

M: This bad boy looks like it will be a big sticky mess but it comes to the tongue in a much lighter and fresher way. While keeping a nice warm spice on the tongue.

O: This has become my favorite holiday beer this season. It was hard to find but worth the search. It is a rare find to have a holiday beer that you can come back to over and over without just a one off, "That was fun, now back to a real beer." attitude.

2XMAS from Southern Tier Brewing Company