Live - Southern Tier Brewing Company

Southern Tier Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.50% ABV

Beer added by: rab53 on 10-30-2012

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 1,232 | Reviews: 213

3.93/5  rDev +1%

Tan to orange, pretty clear, pretty good head and lacing.

Aroma and taste are crisp, clean, and hoppy. I got a lot of floral and grassy notes from the hops, with perhaps a touch of citrus on the finish. There's an ample malt base to provide for a pretty balanced beer, slightly leaning towards the hoppy side.

Body is smooth and easy to drink, carbonation is medium.

Overall it's another darn tasty one from Southern Tier. Definitely worth a try for pale ale lovers.

4.33/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

And now, Live from Chez Woody, my 2,400th review on this site!

From the bottle: "Bottle Conditioned Pale Ale"; "Contains yeast - we recommend decanting into a glass"; "Brewed with 4 Varieties of Hops and 4 Types of Malts".

My oh-so-gentle pour so as not to disturb the lees produced only a skim of wispy, tawny head. Color was a deep golden-yellow (SRM = > 7, < 9) with NE-quality clarity and I was uninterested in playing referee to Midas, Croesus and Mammon, all who wanted some. Nose was predominantly grapefruit, but I felt like I smelled pineapple in there also. Mouthfeel was medium and the taste, while citrusy, was not as pronounced as it would be in an AIPA. I really felt like I was tasting pineapple on the finish, but I may have convinced myself of that on the nose. I will not feel slighted if you disagree with me on that. This was a very mellow beer, especially at the end of the day when I am contemplating an early rack time. My last trick was to swirl the remaining beer in the bottle and pour the lees. Waste not, want not, I always say. Now, I swear that I tasted pineapple! Could the yeast be imparting that flavor? Good stuff.

4.5/5  rDev +15.7%

3.95/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Poured into DFH signature glass; light orange, translucent, with a fizzy moderate white head with large bubbles that fades relatively quickly into a topping of scattered foam.
Smell is enticing; clear malt, and a good dash of floral, grassy and citrusey hops.
Taste is relatively simple; clean, crackery malt with a dash of crisp, grassy hops with slight notes of citrus. The bottle conditioning lends a yeasty smoothness to the beer. Bitterness comes in at the end from the hops and tails onto the yeast leaving a nice crisp finish and a slight bitter, crisp aftertaste.
Mouthfeel is well-carbonated and medium-thin.
Overall, a solid pale. Refreshing, tasty, crisp, and simply delicious.

3.25/5  rDev -16.5%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Live from Southern Tier Brewing Company