IPA (India Pale Ale) - Southern Tier Brewing Company

IPA (India Pale Ale)IPA (India Pale Ale)

Southern Tier Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

Beer added by: John on 03-24-2003

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of IPA (India Pale Ale) Alström Bros

Consistently good IPA. I find myself stocking it in greater quantities and drinking it more frequently than the competing IPA's that I keep on hand. One of my absolute favorites. I'm happy to say it seems to be growing in broad distribution in Central New York. Distinct happy taste and smell. Fresh consistent taste.

Another excellent find while traveling between Michigan and New York. I found this in Erie, PA at one of their "six-pack" stores.

Appearance - Very orangy color, but clear. Moderate head that rapidly dissipates but yields persistent lacing.

Smell - Definitely an IPA. Hoppy with obvious citrus and flowery aroma.

Taste - Lotsa hops with just enough malt. Yummy!

Drinkability - I'm considering another road-trip to fetch some more. It's good enough that it should probably be enjoyed by itself - no food or anything else to interfere with the experience.

Update 2010-12-31 (from 2004-06-30 original review): This has been available in my area for the last few months and I truly enjoy it even after a six year hiatus. I've updated the taste, smell, and appearance to 5.0 from 4.5.

4.97/5  rDev +29.8%

I discovered this god send of a beer in orchard park on the wknd of a buffalo bills game(21oct06). it was my first real IPA & i fell in love w/ the style & the hops. anyway it tasted like i was grazing in a field,... but in a good way. sooo good!!! i would drink this one till my liver failed

4.92/5  rDev +28.5%

I've been hooked on this from the first. Currently, my #1. Even the green labeled bottle is beautiful to me.
Appearance is cloudy amber/copper. Medium head dissipates quickly but lacing lasts throughout.
Aroma is floral with hops and malt present.
Taste is strong of hops - grapefruit is more than present and it finishes with hints of pine. Not overly bitter at alll.
Mouthfeel is smooth throughout and finishes smooth - carbonation is not overbearing at all.
As I said before - I love this beer. The price and availability of Southern Tier products in my area make this one a great session brew.

4.92/5  rDev +28.5%

On tap @ MacGregor's - Rochester (Gregory St.). New brewery, new beer, brought to us by a familiar name in the biz, Phin DeMinck (formerly of Ellicottville and Goose Island). Though they're brewing a mild and a porter too, the IPA was the only one I had time to try. Clear copper color, shaded toward ruby. The nose consists of pungeant hops and biscuity malt. The first taste welcomes you with smack of oily hop with a precise balance and interplay of malts. Bitterness is ever present but is held in check by a big grapefruity, tangerine hop flavor. Moderate carbonation. The combination creates an incredibly smooth mouthfeel and a scary ease of drinkability (does that make sense?). Very solid brew. A beer that could satisfy with one or two...or several. This is everything an IPA should be. Well done.

4.82/5  rDev +25.8%

Poured into a pint glass from a 12oz bottle.

A-A very nice light amber color with an off white head that settles erratically across the glass leaving an interestingly shaped head.

S- This is exactly what I want a beer to smell like. You can smell the citrus hops along with pine, caramel, and a bit of heaven. I hope this beer tastes as good as it smells.

T- MMM! This beer is extremely hoppy but yet very balanced at the same time. With all of the hop flavor you would almost expect to see chunks of hops floating throughout the beer. Although very hoppy, the beer is almost creamy at the same time. Southern Tier had done it again and is quickly becoming my second favorite brewer just behind FFF.

MF- This is a very smooth beer without the strong bitter finish of many IPAs. The sweet malt balance of this beer makes it very smooth and refreshing.

D- This beer would easily replace TwoHearted as my go to everyday beer if I could get it here in Indiana. A perfect beer without too much ABV that could be had during any occasion. Hats off to Southern Tier for this outstanding beer. I just wish I had more than two of these tasty treats.

IPA (India Pale Ale) from Southern Tier Brewing Company