IPA (India Pale Ale) - Southern Tier Brewing Company

IPA (India Pale Ale)IPA (India Pale Ale)

Southern Tier Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

Beer added by: John on 03-24-2003

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of IPA (India Pale Ale) Alström Bros
Reviews: 934 | Hads: 2,459
2.38/5  rDev -38.8%

I was impressed with the packaging on this brand and intigued by a brand called Southern Tier that is from New York. I was also intrigued at the styles available as the lineup struck me as "cool". I'll be reviewing these as I go through them, I was given a mix of the styles recently.

Everyone makes IPA these days, so I figured I'd start with this one in my mix. Pours nicely, with rich color and good cascade & head, but has a sharp, almost obtrusive bite to it and a finish I did not need to linger around. There wasn't much going on with this beer that sets it apart from other IPA's. Some choose to crank up the hops, while others make a smoother, more delicate IPA; unfortunately this IPA came off rather bland.

The hops were too sharp like I said, the smell was in the way it seemed and the finish was nondescript and lingered too long. The mouthfeel was decent but I can't see myself buying this one in quantity.

2.54/5  rDev -34.7%

This is one of the strangest beers i have ever drank. The bottle has a blurb about the alpha acid experience, so this is the first time I know that I am drinking a hop extract.

A- The beer poured with a minimal head that had nice retention at least, beautiful lacing is due to the extreme amount of hop acids in this bad boy.

S- Oh my goodness, I went to a homebrew store recently and I smelled some of the hops, this smells like cascade and centenial. Not those hops in a beer, it smells like I have a baggy of hops and I am sniffing it, it is glorious! I think I would rather smell this beer than drink it, maybe I could vaporize it?

T- Eh, the hops are a little much, I am looking for a beer, not hop soup, this tastes very fresh, as if the hops are still in my glass. I will say that as far as hop soup goes this is delicious, but beer this is less than mediocre.

M- A bit watery but southern tier probably isn't used to making these kinds of beers, this is about 5% less alcohol than they are used to so I can understand that there idea of medium body is skewed.

D- Having more than one of these is a chore, finishing this beer is a chore, I love hops, but in a beer.

2.58/5  rDev -33.7%

Pours a two finger white head that fades slowly leaving traces of lace. Clear amber color. Light carbonation and light-medium bodied. Strong piney nose. Starts hoppy, bitterness throughout piney/hoppy finish. Bitter aftertaste. $1.45 for a 12oz bottle from Colonial Spirits Acton, Ma.

2.59/5  rDev -33.4%

Poured from bottle into English pint glass.

Appearance – light amber to golden orange. Off-white head held well. Light lacing.

Smell – Very lightly floral, hint of citrus. Slight sweetness. No grassiness to me.

Taste – malt forward with nice balance of hops. Leaves with a increased bitterness, but could offer more depth.

Mouthfeel – Medium with medium carbonation. Pleasant overall.

Overall – A little disjointed overall. Moving from sweet to flat to bitter without good transition. Fair enough to try again, but not extremely impressing.

2.65/5  rDev -31.9%

Orange body with a thick head that lingers there for a bit and some lacing on the glass.

Hop presence and malt.

Hop taste and malt is the 2nd taste.

Easy going down and malty as it warms.Good carbonation.

Pretty good but not anything worth seeling out or getting before somthing you want.Did I confuse ya? lol Not bad.

2.7/5  rDev -30.6%

Pours golden with a nice frothy white head.

Smells like hops. Lots of hops.

Tastes of hops, melted plastic, and copper. Uh, wait. What's wrong here?

Watery to boot.

Ok, it's fairly obvious I got a bad bottle, but this isn't the impression a brewery new to the market wants to impart on its prospective drinkers. Oh, well. I can't wait for the Blackwater series to start coming in.

2.73/5  rDev -29.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

"DOB: 05/05/14." Normally I'd refrain from reviewing an IPA which is 5 months old, but Southern Tier's website for this beer has a recommended cellaring temperature, suggesting aging is just fine by them, if not recommended. Interesting.

12 fl oz brown glass bottle with appealing label design and branded black pry-off pressure cap purchased as a single at Whole Foods HQ and served into a pilsner glass at low altitude in Austin, TX. Reviewed live as an IPA for obvious reasons. 7.30% ABV.

Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

No bubble show forms as it's poured.

HEAD: 1.5 finger wide head. Off-white colour. Nice creaminess and thickness. Retention is pretty good - about 5 minutes. Fairly soft complexion. Nice even frothy consistency. No lacing sticks to the sides of the glass as the head recedes.

BODY: Clear translucent transparent copper of above average vibrance. No yeast particulate or hop sediment is visible.

Overall, it's an appealing appearance for an IPA, but is pretty conventional. Nothing stands out as unique or special here. Appears well-carbonated.

AROMA: It's an even pairing of pale malt and caramalt sweetness with floral, herbal, and lightly piney hop notes. Maybe some tangerine citrus in there too. It borders on the boozy fruity character I despise in IPAs, but never quite ventures into it. On the sweeter side by American IPA standards, sure. Grassiness emerges as it warms.

No overt alcohol, spices, off-notes, or yeast character are/is detectable.

TASTE/TEXTURE: Strangely wood-evocative, actually. The sticky slightly syrupy feel pairs poorly with the overdone sweetness, which borders on cloying. Hop notes are plentiful, but still provide insufficient bitterness to counter the dominant pale malt and caramalt sweetness: grapefruit pith, tangerine rind, spruce, floral notes, and grassiness. It's light on hops for an American IPA, and the sweetness does little for it. As it warms, I pick up on the beginnings of some of the boozy pineapple notes I despise in IPAs.

Average depth and duration of flavour. Below average flavour intensity.

It's smooth and wet, and overcarbonated. Unrefreshing. Could be softer and creamier. Overall presence on the palate is average; this texture is a decent companion to the taste, but doesn't elevate the beer beyond the limits of the flavour profile.

While the balance - as abovementioned - is subpar, it's not a badly built IPA per se. There's a nice diversity of flavour, and while it isn't even, gestalt, subtly executed, or complex, it's not unpleasant to drink. I do like it in a general sense, but I'd liken the hop profile more to that of a tame pale ale than an IPA.

OVERALL: It's a downable IPA with a well-hidden ABV and a wide distribution footprint. I found it entirely too sweet, throwing off the balance, and that's coming from a reviewer known for finding most "typical" West Coast IPAs imbalanced to the other extreme. I wouldn't buy this again, but it's well-priced for what it is and you could do worse. This won't impress the discerning drinker and it's far from up to par with Southern Tier's best offerings, but I'm glad I tried it once. I'll easily finish the glass, but I wouldn't want another.

All of the above said, I can see where this might have been an impressive offering 11 years ago.

High C-

2.75/5  rDev -29.3%

Poured into a glass.
This starts nice with citrus and fruits - then BAM!- I am being pummeled by pine. Quite a disturbing turn of events. This could of been a great beer if there was only a whisper of pine. At 7.3 ABV and only $7.99 a six pack, it will get you sloshed for a reasonable price. If, on the other hand, you wish to have a pleasant buzz & a decent brew, just get a familiar friend and skip this mess.

2.76/5  rDev -29%

No date on bottle, poured into a Stone IPA tulip glass. Beer is amber and hazy, forms a thick off white head of small and medium bubbles that falls away slowly leaving a lot of lacing on the glass. Looks good.

Aroma is pretty malty on this single. There is some pine in there but its not the forward smell. That's unfortunate.

You give IPAs a bad name. This is all sweet malt up front and there is some lingering bitterness in the back. Its drinkable but its no IPA.

2.81/5  rDev -27.8%

Nice bottle, label and graphics. Requires an aggressive pour for a decent head. Foam not thick and creamy but soap bubbly and sticky. Nose is musty. Not an IPA at all until you take a swig. Piney with a rose type finish. Very different than others. For all it's shortcomings I'd try this again.

2.81/5  rDev -27.8%

A - Out on the water drinking this brew straight from the bottle. The glass is a dark brown color impenetrable by light. The label is black and green with images of hops and barley. It paints an inviting picture.

S - Hops, lovely hops. This brew has a nice hops filled aroma.

T - This IPA has no shortage of bitterness. The flavor does however lack a smoothness I like a great India Pale Ale.

M - The feeling it offers is rather nice. There are subtle sectioned off parts of my tongue that are really impacted by the texture.

~ Unfortunately, flavor is very important to me when selecting a beer. This one, I'm afraid, won't make the cut in the future.

2.83/5  rDev -27.2%

this ipa pours a dark yellow/orange color with a nice head an decent lacing thereafter... that as good as it gets... the smell is a faint citrus hop aroma, a little floral, a little biscuity, some malt sweetness... the taste is bitter not in a good way almost metallic...the mouthfeel is average... i mean i can drink this but it is not a classic.. this is just an average ipa to try just to say you had one. ill try some other tier brews maybe some interesting bombers

2.83/5  rDev -27.2%

A- Pours a golden yellow, nice, snowcapped head with immediate lacing. Very thick, looks like a rice cake on top of the beer. Beer coloration is a bit light for the style, but almost glows.

S- Floral, citrus hops... a bit of Simcoe? Guessing, and my hop radar isn't finely tuned... sweet, fruity. Not very pungent, though. I like my IPAs to have a bit more ZING to 'em.

T- Eh. Where's the flavor? Follows the nose, sweet, floral, citrus hops... but there's no real payoff. A half-hearted beer. Pale malts do their job rounding out the flavors... but the hops lack any real momentum to do anything impressive.

M- Pretty solid, full-bodied, good carbonation, easy-sippin' and no off-notes.

D- Moderate. I could drink a few of these, but don't really want to. Not sure what it is... this hop profile just doesn't cut it for me. Won't be buying this one again.

2.88/5  rDev -26%

A - Kind of a dull, clear orange with not much going on. However, it has a nice big white pillowy head that laces real nice.

S - Dull as well. Super yeasty, citrus hops, and kind of floral.

T - Tastes kinda cheap in all honesty. Not much kick. Not as much citrus as the nose implied which was only average to begin with...Further, this beer has a hop bitterness - which I usually adore - that is quite repulsive. The hops are pretty confused in this beer. It does, however, have a nice crisp finish to it. But I don't care for the flavor much.

M - light and unbalanced. Unnecessarily carbonated. "Poser'ish" and not well-crafted at all.

D - Somewhat drinkable but it's boring and not even a way that even fits the style too much. There's no reason for this brew to be 6.5%. 5.5% would be fine and it'd make it better. Wouldn't buy this again. I don't know how it has such a high rating on here.

2.88/5  rDev -26%

Giant 1.5 inch head over a burnt orange beer. Good lacing. A good looking beer. Smells of hops, honey and (unexpectedly) a hint of tea leaves.

Unfortunately, this is another Southern Tier that tastes too watery and flavorless, at least for me. It's got a very slight metallic touch in the aftertaste. The beer is balanced for an IPA. Rather than being hoppy you get a feel of both hops and malts. There just aren't enough of them to make things interesting. Mostly, it reminds me of water.

Overall, a rather boring beer. Not undrinkable but not that enjoyable.

2.89/5  rDev -25.7%

Drank this with Christmas dinner as a starter. Others at the table mentioned it looked disgusting and i kinda have to agree.

A: Deep amber-gold, small head with very thin lace. Incredibly hazy with suspended chunks. I really looked for something to indicate that this was intended but I can not find anything. hopefully a one batch thing.

S: Not particularly impressed. Slightly citrus hop forward aroma with even smaller hints of caramel maltiness. When agitated, a small amount of alcohol can be perceived.

T: Clean, sweet caramel maltiness up front. Not overly impressed with the hops in this IPA. It is not that the bitterness is not there, but rather that it lacks any real prominent characteristics like citrus, floral, resinous or piney aromas typically found in IPAs. Flavor and bitterness fade rather quickly.

M: medium-light mouthfeel.

D: Not a horrible beer, but not the great beer that i have expected from other southern tier. If this wasn't horrible to look at, I would have another, but have to move on to something more aesthetically pleasing at the moment.

Overall, not impressed and hope this is a one time flaw from a brewery that i have been rather impressed by in the past.

2.91/5  rDev -25.2%

Appearance is nice, not outstanding. Nothing really exceptional here - it's a bit above average but not much else.

Aroma is almost nonexistent and smells faintly malty and musky with maybe just the lightest touch of hops.

Taste is of some pine hints, some citrus, and a small oaky flavor in the background. Pretty much average in my view, although that oak in the background definitely bumped it up to a 3.

Mouthfeel is clean, creamy, and crisp. Average.

Drinkability is decent. I wouldn't turn this beer down if it was free or came in a mixed pack, but I wouldn't go searching this beer out just on its own merits. It's a solid, but average entry.

2.91/5  rDev -25.2%

A- Pours a golden slightly amber color with a very nice white foam head that leaves good lacing.

S- Some floral hops in the nose with a bit of soap and malt. I'm interested to see how the flavor turns out...

T- Some bitterness upfront but honestly a bit more malt that I was expecting. I wouldn't really say that the malt 'balances' the bitterness. In fact this beer is really bitter upfront with a very sweet finish...the two don't really compliment each other. They more or less duke it out all in the flavor profile.

M- Medium bodied with ok carbonation. The alcohol is apparent, surprisingly so for a 6.9% brew.

D- Eh, I'll probably pass on this one next time. Not bad just alot of other IPAs that I prefer.

2.93/5  rDev -24.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

Appearance - Copper hue with an almost white head which is pretty weak.
Smell - Almost nothing here, slightly hoppy. Needs much more work here.
Taste - Not that great, there is a strange melding of alcohol flavor and hops I think. Not enough hop flavor. The hop flavor that is there though is sub par. It tastes a little of iron as well...

2.95/5  rDev -24.2%

Pours a slight red bronze light brown, but has a very small head. Very little bubbles from the bottom coming up, apple juice looking color but clear.

Smell.. small... very very weak red sweet fuji/stayman apple, muted hops, no bread/grain characteristic, but perhaps even some sweet honey but hard to detect.

On the palate, decent body with apples coming through but minimal hops, some sweetness apparent (throws me off) in an apple brown sugar way, strange sort of mild carbonation upon first taste, slight dry afterfinish with bitter lime feel.

Drinkability is kind of meh, I'll pass I've had better.

2.95/5  rDev -24.2%

Poured this into a tulip. This one is a clear golden straw color with just a thin white head. The head dies down pretty quickly leaving just a thin rim of lace.

Pretty standard smell here. A decent bitter hop profile and a bit of citrus to rond it out. The hop aroma seems a litle weaker than I would preffer to see. Again on the pallet it just seems a bit weak. Faint bitter hops with a bit of citrus sweetness rounding it out.

The feel is decent, a light bottle with adequate carbonation. Overall, when I bought this I was a little reluctant just because they don't date the bottles. I don't know how old it is but this has only been in my possesion for about a week. It's decent, but there is no way for me to know if this is a fresh beer.

2.95/5  rDev -24.2%

Purchased from: Williams IGA (Vienna, Ohio)
Origin: 12 oz
Bottled on: ?
Tasted on: 04/21/11
Glassware: Dogfish Head Sniffer.
Serving Temperature: Approx 45 F

Appearance: Pours a pretty standard color and head. About 1/2 of white head with a reddish copper body. Looks pleasant enough. Leaves a mild white lacing on the side of my glass.

Smell: Really not much of anything. Honestly its probably to cold at the moment. Lets see what its like as it warms. ==> Okay now its starting to open up. I get light citrus, pine, and hops. Again, pretty standard IPA. Nothing very special about this one though.

Taste: Pleasant light hoppy notes up front, accompanied by mild citrus notes (Typical Grapefruit). Nothing outstanding, but overall good IPA all the same.

Mouthfeel: Well balanced, leaves a slight hop resin on the tongue as its going down.

Drinkability: I could easily drink a sixer of this. Easy drinking, well balanced.

Concluding thoughts: Good IPA. Nothing outstanding though. If you are looking for a standard IPA with not a whole lot going on, I would suggest this.

Hoppy <===X|====> Malty

2.96/5  rDev -23.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

I had this about an hour after a Zombie Dust which is certainly a tough act to follow. Looked good in the glass with a clear and bright golden color and nice two finger head that hung around a while and laced the glass all the way to the bottom. Hops hit the nose but no other notable hints. Unfortunately the taste was a disappointment - strong piney hops but no subtlety or other flavors while in the mouth, and a resinous bitter aftertaste. More of a chore to finish, not one that I enjoyed.

2.97/5  rDev -23.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.75

I'm not particularly compelled to go back and try it again, but my experience was that it was very bitter and didn't have much to it outside of its hop profile, which was strong for the sake of being strong.

2.98/5  rDev -23.4%

No freshness date...so I have no idea if this is a proper sample to review, but here it goes for now.

Appearance is nice orange/tan that is rather hazy. Lacing is good, but the bubbles on the head are large rather than small and fine. Smell is rather mild for an IPA. I'm catching some piney hops and some sweet malt. I wasn't really impressed by the taste. I'm just getting some bitterness and the hop flavor is of mild pine, kind of one dimensional. Mouthfeel can be described as sticky pine needles. Not bad. Drinkability is acceptable, what you expect from an IPA.

I suspect this beer would be better if it was fresher, I'll try another sample down the road to see. Southern Tier should really use freshness dates...I turn away from a lot of beer because of no freshness dates.

IPA (India Pale Ale) from Southern Tier Brewing Company