IPA (India Pale Ale) - Southern Tier Brewing Company

IPA (India Pale Ale)IPA (India Pale Ale)

Southern Tier Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

(Beer added by: John on 03-24-2003)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of IPA (India Pale Ale) Alström Bros

1.5/5  rDev -60.8%

1.75/5  rDev -54.3%

1.75/5  rDev -54.3%

2.35/5  rDev -38.6%

I was impressed with the packaging on this brand and intigued by a brand called Southern Tier that is from New York. I was also intrigued at the styles available as the lineup struck me as "cool". I'll be reviewing these as I go through them, I was given a mix of the styles recently.

Everyone makes IPA these days, so I figured I'd start with this one in my mix. Pours nicely, with rich color and good cascade & head, but has a sharp, almost obtrusive bite to it and a finish I did not need to linger around. There wasn't much going on with this beer that sets it apart from other IPA's. Some choose to crank up the hops, while others make a smoother, more delicate IPA; unfortunately this IPA came off rather bland.

The hops were too sharp like I said, the smell was in the way it seemed and the finish was nondescript and lingered too long. The mouthfeel was decent but I can't see myself buying this one in quantity.

2.38/5  rDev -37.9%

This is one of the strangest beers i have ever drank. The bottle has a blurb about the alpha acid experience, so this is the first time I know that I am drinking a hop extract.

A- The beer poured with a minimal head that had nice retention at least, beautiful lacing is due to the extreme amount of hop acids in this bad boy.

S- Oh my goodness, I went to a homebrew store recently and I smelled some of the hops, this smells like cascade and centenial. Not those hops in a beer, it smells like I have a baggy of hops and I am sniffing it, it is glorious! I think I would rather smell this beer than drink it, maybe I could vaporize it?

T- Eh, the hops are a little much, I am looking for a beer, not hop soup, this tastes very fresh, as if the hops are still in my glass. I will say that as far as hop soup goes this is delicious, but beer this is less than mediocre.

M- A bit watery but southern tier probably isn't used to making these kinds of beers, this is about 5% less alcohol than they are used to so I can understand that there idea of medium body is skewed.

D- Having more than one of these is a chore, finishing this beer is a chore, I love hops, but in a beer.

2.4/5  rDev -37.3%

2.5/5  rDev -34.7%

Pours a two finger white head that fades slowly leaving traces of lace. Clear amber color. Light carbonation and light-medium bodied. Strong piney nose. Starts hoppy, bitterness throughout piney/hoppy finish. Bitter aftertaste. $1.45 for a 12oz bottle from Colonial Spirits Acton, Ma.

IPA (India Pale Ale) from Southern Tier Brewing Company