IPA (India Pale Ale) - Southern Tier Brewing Company

IPA (India Pale Ale)IPA (India Pale Ale)

Southern Tier Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

Beer added by: John on 03-24-2003

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of IPA (India Pale Ale) Alström Bros
Reviews: 934 | Hads: 2,458
3.5/5  rDev -10%

Southern Tier is a great brewery, but we think they missed on this IPA. It is overly citrusy - and bitter-at-the-end (too much so). Needs more malt to balance.

4.35/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Reviewed 6/12/12

L: Due to a blackout in my house at the time, I didn't get a great look at it but it seems copperish and I'll rate it on par with the other parameters so as not to skew the rating.

S: Excellent tropical citrus fresh hop aroma. Vibrant. A little bit of sweet malt in the background offsets the hops.

T: Piny and resinous, with a little more malt upfront than I was expecting. Also a tad sweet in the finish. Pretty nice IPA but I felt like the hoppiness could use a little more nuance; while the aroma is citrusy and tropical (things I love in an IPA), the taste is a bit more unidimensional in its bitterness.

F: Medium-full mouthfeel; pretty nice. Medium carbonation.

O: A very nice IPA indeed. Great aroma and mouthfeel, but I think the taste should be tweaked slightly to allow the citrusy nature of the hops to shine through.

3.95/5  rDev +1.5%

From 09/29/15 notes. On tap at Revival in NYC.

Pours a hazy golden yellow color with one inch of white head and moderate carbonation evident. Lots of citrus hops, grapefruit notes, fruity malts, bread, and light pine hops. Medium body and moderate carbonation, no bitterness.

Overall a pretty solid IPA.

3.9/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Can't say that I've slept with them all, but of those I have, this one has left fond memories. Doesn't try to do too much and fail at it, like others I've "known" (in the biblical sense). Always welcomes me back!
Translation: A much better than average IPA.

3.68/5  rDev -5.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured into a perfect pint.

3.5 A: Mildly hazed orange brown color. Two fingers of frothy beige head. Retention is good and one finger of interrupted lacing is left.

3.5 S: Piney, floral, and citrusy hops. Candied oranges, papaya, and mango. A touch of breadiness and caramel malt sweetness. Pleasant, but fairly mellow compared to more recent releases.

3.75 T: Like the nose, this isn't an in your face hop bomb. Rather, it's just a finely crafted IPA of yesteryear. Again a big floral hit with piney undertones. Citrus fruits mentioned above. Bready yeastiness, caramel malts with a pleasant toastiness. Very nice.

3.75 M: Heavier medium body. It's not quite chewy, but the yeastiness adds something to the body. Good moderate carbonation. Moderately creamy and super smooth.

3.75 D: Good beer, easy to drink. I will always remember this fondly as I believe my first purchase of a case of craft beer was the ST mixed case.

4.5/5  rDev +15.7%

I like what they did here. This is pretty well balanced and I get some of the other reviews that compare it to an English IPA. I picked up just a single of this out of curiosity, now I wish that I would have got a sixer. Just for point of reference, my go to IPA's are Hop Hunter and Torpedo. This one has a great sweet malt backbone that my favorites are lacking. This is a welcome treat after having a Duvel Triple Hop and a Torpedo. Yum.

3.99/5  rDev +2.6%

This was poured into a nonic pint glass.
The appearance was a copper to bronze color with a one finger white foamy head that dissipated within less than a minute leaving some spotty lacing running here and there around the glass.
The smell had some light floral hops with a little bit of grapefruit and lemon. Light pine backs up nicely.
The taste copies the smell and allows in a slight caramel malt in the back. With a little bit of pine in the aftertaste, there's a quick dry resinous finish.
The mouthfeel was about light to medium bodied with a decent sessionability about it. Carbonation feels good as an AIPA and bitterness pounds at my tongue.
Overall, this is a good AIPA that I'd have again if I could find. Too bad, I had to find it in Oregon. Wish these guys were in Idaho.

3.27/5  rDev -15.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

This brew pours a mostly clear copper color with a two finger fluffy white head with a lot of carbonation and good lacing.

The smell is light floral hops with a little grapefruit and lemon. There is also some very light pine.

The taste follows the nose with the flora hops dominating. Some light grapefruit, orange and lemon. There is a little piney hop resin in the finish which sticks to the tongue after swallowing. There is a light malt backbone and the finish is dry.

Overall this is not a "big beer" The hops are 'polite' and even the malt backbone is gentle to the point of being barely there. I guess you could say this is a "session" IPA. It might be good for someone who wants to try an IPA for the first time but is afraid of getting their palate shredded by an aggressive hop profile.

3.93/5  rDev +1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

My first try of a Souther Tier offering and I was pleased with it overall.

Right from the bottle it poured a beautiful golden amber color with weak head, but had very nice lacing down the glass. I noted hints of citrus and even some cinnamon mixed quite well with the strong hoppy scent. I was surprised to find it overly carbonated for my palate, which simply takes away from the enjoyment of the beer for me. I'm not sure what the IBU is on this one, but it was probably higher than I've been accustomed lately, leaving a strong aftertaste and slight tackiness in my mouth. Overall, I did enjoy this beer (as I had three of them at the little, backwater, hick-bar I was at) I just wasn't overly impressed. And the 7% ABV is something that catches up to you faster than expected - definitely not sessionable.

3.18/5  rDev -18.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Bought this from my local chain grocery store for 8.99. Bottle has DOB 5/04/15 printed under the label on the glass.
Appearance: A caramel-gold with decent carbonation and lace. I poured from an angle all the way through which left a good sized head.
Smell: Sweet citrus with a note of bready malt. Pleasant enough for an IPA.
Taste: The hops don't bite your tongue but are enjoyable for the IPA enthusiast. Good balance between malt and hops which is something I really enjoyed about this brew. Again, not very bitter unless you have never had a hoppy beer before.
Feel: Carbonation was spot on. This brew was medium bodied and easy to sip.
Overall: A solid IPA. If you have or haven't had the 2XIPA by Southern Tier, you may want to go with that if you have the option. If not, this is a great choice. Good ABV, good carbonation, excellent balance of malt and hop. If you are looking for something extraordinary, look elsewhere and spend a few extra bucks. But if you are sick of drinking cheap beers to save money, Southern Tier's IPA is where it's at.

3.75/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Decent IPA enjoyed while waiting on some burgers and fries at Shake Shack. Medium feel, modest malts suggest a bit of soft dark bread, hops bring out some citric pith and wood. Unexceptional but serviceable IPA.

3.69/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A nice offering from Southern Tier. I liked the fact that this beer was very flavorful and strong, yet not overly bitter or harsh. It had a nice hoppy aroma off of the pour. You can get all of the strong characteristics of a great IPA. It all came together with the taste. It had a nice stingy, citrusy, and hoppy bite. The alcohol wasn't overly detectable. This had a nice medium hoppy bitterness and finished dry but not uncomfortable. I find this a nice refreshing IPA.

4.07/5  rDev +4.6%

I definitely prefer this one over the 2xIPA. It slaps you in the mouth with what taste like cascade, chinook and centennial hops. If their 2IPA was this beer but doubled it would probably be one of my favorite beers. Also, It hides the abv very well so be careful!

3.56/5  rDev -8.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a brown 12 oz. bottle. Has a dark golden/orange color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is surprisingly malts, some citrus as well. Taste is piney hops, a good malt balance, medium bitterness. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall a smooth and refreshing beer.

3.71/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

From the 12 fl. oz. bottle. Sampled on May 6, 2015.

The pour is orange-amber with a lingering cream colored head.

Pleasant and subtle grassy, earthy, and light citrus aromas along with a vague pale malt character.

Lighter body but semi-smooth.

Interesting apple or pear fruitiness kicks in that I did not pick up on the nose. Otherwise balanced nicely with a modest but lingering grassy hop bitterness.

3.29/5  rDev -15.4%

Appearance: Hazy body with medium hues of orange and gold with a fluffy thick white head that stick to the glass well enough to leave good lacing.

Aroma: There's a distinct marriage of pine and tangerine aromas. It's not especially fresh smelling but it smells good.

Taste: There is a light sweet caramel flavor that is eventually met by a very faint taste of orange pith and some grass.

Mouthfeel: It has a nice dry mouthfeel but it feels pretty shy on bitterness.

Overall: It's a pretty average IPA. I would buy it if I was in the store just looking for something quick and tasty, but it's not going to cut it if I want that big bold fresh hop flavor.

3.2/5  rDev -17.7%

Average to say the least. To give this IPA a little credit I drank a few outdated ones just because that was what came in my SOuthern Tier variety pack. Ill update this review once I drink one that is more fresh but for now its not one that I like

Very average IPA. Too piny in taste. Head was disappointing after an aggressive pour from the bottle. After having the opportunity to taste a wide variety of IPAs, this one is very average.

3.8/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A: clear; burnt orange in color; 1+ finger ivory head that receded slowly to a thick cap; OK lacing;

S: earthy and floral;

T: there's a bit of mint in the background from start to finish; floral comes to the front at mid-palate and stays to the end; moderate bitterness from mid-palate;

M: medium bodied; moderate carbonation;

O: not a lot in the aroma or flavor to get excited about;

4.14/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

12 ounce.

Pours a mostly clear amber gold, white lacing for a head.

Smells of fresh citrusy and floral hops over bready malt. Some clover honey.

Honey and bread malts, and a varied hop flavor that touches on citrus, floral, and woody.

Medium to full body with tingly carbonation throughout.

Very nice drinkable IPA. Above average on all points and really nothing to complain about. The 2X version is better but richer while this goes down a little smoother and would pair with food better. Definitely something that could become a go-to for IPA drinkers.

3.81/5  rDev -2.1%

Solid up-front with a good taste. Goes down without a hitch but leaves a little empty spot on the back end. 7.5 in the engine so no complaints. Overall I like it but the double IPA they make is bezerk.

Consistently good IPA. I find myself stocking it in greater quantities and drinking it more frequently than the competing IPA's that I keep on hand. One of my absolute favorites. I'm happy to say it seems to be growing in broad distribution in Central New York. Distinct happy taste and smell. Fresh consistent taste.

2.97/5  rDev -23.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.75

I'm not particularly compelled to go back and try it again, but my experience was that it was very bitter and didn't have much to it outside of its hop profile, which was strong for the sake of being strong.

This is a very good IPA that tastes very similar to other very good east coast IPAs. I would drink it again in a heartbeat but wouldn't be compelled to go out of my way for it.

2.75/5  rDev -29.3%

Poured into a glass.
This starts nice with citrus and fruits - then BAM!- I am being pummeled by pine. Quite a disturbing turn of events. This could of been a great beer if there was only a whisper of pine. At 7.3 ABV and only $7.99 a six pack, it will get you sloshed for a reasonable price. If, on the other hand, you wish to have a pleasant buzz & a decent brew, just get a familiar friend and skip this mess.

IPA (India Pale Ale) from Southern Tier Brewing Company