IPA (India Pale Ale) - Southern Tier Brewing Company

IPA (India Pale Ale)IPA (India Pale Ale)

Southern Tier Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

(Beer added by: John on 03-24-2003)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of IPA (India Pale Ale) Alström Bros
4.53/5  rDev +18%

12oz bottle poured into an 8oz glass in my hotel room, because it was all that I had!

A – Poured a very nice and clear amber color, a nice orange amber with a good sized, maybe two finger high head of white frothy lace on top. After a few minutes this relaxed down and formed just a small amount of side glass lace down the sides, but what was there stood around for a good long time and really made it have a nice look on the glass. There was a very nice amount of carbonation which was apparent from the very beginning of this one. Lots of streams of bubbles working their way up and condensing to reinforce the little bit of film left on the top. Overall nice classic light IPA look.

S – The aroma was rich and full and caught me right away which was just what I was looking for. A huge bouquet of deep floral hops, lots of citrus notes here came off almost too strong at first, well maybe to the amateur but to me, no such thing. As it warmed it started to change over to some pine resin like aromas, but still with the sticking orange and tangerine flavor lingering. Some nice notable hints of sugar then started to make their presence felt and really took the whole thing to the next level and gave it that hop bomb character we all know and love.

T – The flavor was great, I mean I needed exactly this at the time, and it was just spot on. Deep thick citrus hoppy goodness is exactly the phrase I have written down in my notebook. It was just a mess of orange, tangerine, and pineapple, with some sweet sugary notes thrown in and a touch of pine to make it all fresh. The finish was super bitter and dry and brought out the flavors of a fresh meadow of flowers with the taste of almost like a dandelion and fresh cut grass. Just really great and a classic gem of a west coast IPA, but from an east coast source, what more could you ask for.

M – The body on this was much thicker then the initial look would have led me to believe it would have been. The clear well carbonated look would have lended me to think this would have come off a bit light, but this was a very nice medium bodied ale with a mild syrup like feel to it that really did not become bothersome due to the ample carbonation that kept it from becoming that way. It was just a really nice full feel to it with no slickness and just a smooth coating texture that really let you have it and felt really great.

D – This was a classic session ale for me all the way. I mean what more could I ask for then a moderate ABV highly hopped well carbonated brew that I could put down for hours. This was just about as good as it gets for me as far as being able to put down a few, I wish I had gotten a sixer of this instead of a single as it would have been nice to have another one after the fact.

Overall this was fantastic, and definitely another winner from Southern Tier. I am just starting to be able to sample a lot of their brews and the more I have the more I am impressed with. This one was no different. They took the style of the west coast session IPA and made it their own while staying true to the roots, could not really ask for much more. I would recommend this to any hop lover.

mikesgroove, Jan 17, 2008
4.6/5  rDev +19.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Rustic orange suffused with softly glowing amber. A thing of beauty, the head is pearlescent ivory in color, thickly creamy in consistency and looks to be an extraordinary lacer. The upper surface is pitted, lumpy, bumpy, softly undulating and rocky, all at the same time. Fine lace hugs the glass lower down and peppers it higher up.

The nose is outstanding. Leave it to Southern Tier to give me a nose that grabs my nose, so to speak, and doesn't let go. Not only is it cranium-filling in power, but it's as hoppy as all get out. Sweet orange, white grapefruit and ripe melon lead the way.

Hop, more hops and still more hops. I half expect to see a few hop cones floating in the glass. Southern Tier IPA is a wonderful beer, especially for the hopheads among us. The brewers are too talented to simply dump several boxcars worth of hops into the kettle however. They've worked their usual magic and have crafted a superb, hoppy ale.

Even though pale malt is noticed on the palate, it's swamped almost beyond recognition by a beautiful barrage of hops. A huge burst of white grapefruit pith and spruce sap swamps the taste buds and leaves them begging for more. Palate fatigue would be a definite possibility after a few of these, but I'll never find out since I only have the one. Dammit!

This beer is sweeter than many versions, which effectively takes the edge off of what would otherwise be a substantial bitter storm. I'm not sure that I have an ideal sweet:bitter ratio when it comes to IPAs, but this one is pretty close to perfect. The mouthfeel is full for the style with a velvety smoothness that is out this world.

There's something about Southern Tier beer that I just love. It's as if the brewers invited me to the brewery, gave me hundreds of samples (don't I wish) and tweaked their recipes to fit my exact preferences for each and every style. I had no doubt that the IPA (my favorite style) from these guys (one of my favorite breweries) would knock my socks off and leave powder burns on my feet. A huge thank you to HappyHourHero for the nectar.

BuckeyeNation, Apr 07, 2005

Renegawam, Yesterday at 11:06 PM

FaradayUncaged, Friday at 06:26 PM

Pinioned, Friday at 12:02 AM

603to843, Tuesday at 06:26 PM
4.25/5  rDev +10.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Gajo74, Tuesday at 03:50 AM

Artmcd88, Monday at 12:59 PM
4.43/5  rDev +15.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

L - Hazy gold w/1/2 inch cream head

S - Malts, breads, grain, diacetyls

T - Sweetish hop flavors abound, malt flavors follow the aroma notes

F - Some stickiness, plenty of carbonation

O - This is on the opposite end of the bitterness scale of hop-centric beers. The hop profile is sweet rather than tart, and complements a sweet carmely malt flavor. The overall flavor is a departure from the grapefruitish flavored IPAs and ends up being reminiscent of flavors associated with old English yeast origins. Unique. Nice.

MVotter, Oct 18, 2014

Can_has_beer, Oct 15, 2014

Rice_Nate_25, Oct 15, 2014

ambruns1979, Oct 14, 2014
2.71/5  rDev -29.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

"DOB: 05/05/14." Normally I'd refrain from reviewing an IPA which is 5 months old, but Southern Tier's website for this beer has a recommended cellaring temperature, suggesting aging is just fine by them, if not recommended. Interesting.

12 fl oz brown glass bottle with appealing label design and branded black pry-off pressure cap purchased as a single at Whole Foods HQ and served into a pilsner glass at low altitude in Austin, TX. Reviewed live as an IPA for obvious reasons. 7.30% ABV.

Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

No bubble show forms as it's poured.

HEAD: 1.5 finger wide head. Off-white colour. Nice creaminess and thickness. Retention is pretty good - about 5 minutes. Fairly soft complexion. Nice even frothy consistency. No lacing sticks to the sides of the glass as the head recedes.

BODY: Clear translucent transparent copper of above average vibrance. No yeast particulate or hop sediment is visible.

Overall, it's an appealing appearance for an IPA, but is pretty conventional. Nothing stands out as unique or special here. Appears well-carbonated.

AROMA: It's an even pairing of pale malt and caramalt sweetness with floral, herbal, and lightly piney hop notes. Maybe some tangerine citrus in there too. It borders on the boozy fruity character I despise in IPAs, but never quite ventures into it. On the sweeter side by American IPA standards, sure. Grassiness emerges as it warms.

No overt alcohol, spices, off-notes, or yeast character are/is detectable.

TASTE/TEXTURE: Strangely wood-evocative, actually. The sticky slightly syrupy feel pairs poorly with the overdone sweetness, which borders on cloying. Hop notes are plentiful, but still provide insufficient bitterness to counter the dominant pale malt and caramalt sweetness: grapefruit pith, tangerine rind, spruce, floral notes, and grassiness. It's light on hops for an American IPA, and the sweetness does little for it. As it warms, I pick up on the beginnings of some of the boozy pineapple notes I despise in IPAs.

Average depth and duration of flavour. Below average flavour intensity.

It's smooth and wet, and overcarbonated. Unrefreshing. Could be softer and creamier. Overall presence on the palate is average; this texture is a decent companion to the taste, but doesn't elevate the beer beyond the limits of the flavour profile.

While the balance - as abovementioned - is subpar, it's not a badly built IPA per se. There's a nice diversity of flavour, and while it isn't even, gestalt, subtly executed, or complex, it's not unpleasant to drink. I do like it in a general sense, but I'd liken the hop profile more to that of a tame pale ale than an IPA.

OVERALL: It's a downable IPA with a well-hidden ABV and a wide distribution footprint. I found it entirely too sweet, throwing off the balance, and that's coming from a reviewer known for finding most "typical" West Coast IPAs imbalanced to the other extreme. I wouldn't buy this again, but it's well-priced for what it is and you could do worse. This won't impress the discerning drinker and it's far from up to par with Southern Tier's best offerings, but I'm glad I tried it once. I'll easily finish the glass, but I wouldn't want another.

All of the above said, I can see where this might have been an impressive offering 11 years ago.

High C-

3.72/5  rDev -3.1%

NHbeerfishing, Oct 11, 2014

RyanPollock, Oct 11, 2014
3.59/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

glass_house, Oct 10, 2014