IPA (India Pale Ale) - Southern Tier Brewing Company

IPA (India Pale Ale)IPA (India Pale Ale)

Southern Tier Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

(Beer added by: John on 03-24-2003)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of IPA (India Pale Ale) Alström Bros
4.35/5  rDev +13.3%

12oz bottle out of the fridge poured into a pint glass. no freshness date.

pours a perfectly clear (and filtered) deep golden color with some orange coming through. nice big 2 fingers of chunky white head that lasted the whole way through, great retention, tons of sticky lace.

a big very pungent hop aroma. full of grapefruit citrus, whole leafy hops before you brew with them, and lots of fresh pine needles. a little bit of caramel malt just barely struggles to be noticable.

the taste follows suit with the pungent resinous hops. also from the hops you get citrus, whole flower hop cones, and some pine. a great hop profile. the malts are outnumbered by the hops, but the still blend with the beer nicely with a slightly sweet bready caramel quality. nicely crafted.

medium bodied, a good feeling carbonation, the hops wreck the palate and i love it.

the is my favorite ipa to session anytime. mainly because its a local favorite and because its great hop profile. one of the better ipas out there and its not going to cost you tons. highly recommended!

dogfishandi, Sep 19, 2010
3.95/5  rDev +2.9%

A- Poured with a very nice head, auburn in colour.

S- smell was very floral. Hops were very noticeable, with a hint of Malt smell in the back.

T- Very smooth, nice hop taste. Almost a leafy taste to it; very "nature" tasting. Also the hint of malt comes through with a little caramel taste to them.

D- I do believe this to be the best IPA I've had from the LCBO. Far more floral than anything I have tried there as of yet and the hops seemed less harsh with more of a savory mouth feel to them.

case4816, Sep 17, 2010
3.4/5  rDev -11.5%

Pours a hazy golden color with amber traces and a two finger frothy head that settles to a one finger head. Very good amount of lacing throughout.

The smell I pick up are floral and biscuit-like with hints of grapefruit. Smells delicious.

The taste is sweet with a malty bitterness. A complete refreshment.

Body is very smooth and then becomes chewy after lingering in your glass.

Overall a very nice IPA. The bitterness is not overpowering and is well balanced, but I like my IPA's with more of a bitter kick.

brandoncox, Sep 15, 2010
3.78/5  rDev -1.6%

Poured into a pint glass from a 12 oz. bottle. This IPA pours a hazed orange straw and offers a light cap of foam. Retention is somewhat brief and the pour glasses off after a few minutes.

Decent nose with citrus hops and a bit of yeast funk. Not sure what yeast these guys might use but it surely adds an interesting dimension here. Love it or hate it perhaps. I'm liking it but it does take some agitation to bring it out. Touch of Belgium.

Flavor is good though neutral. Nothin' is killin' it either way here. Good though not epic(aka, unearthly). Touch of citric sweetness and a nice balance are offered. An enjoyable and lightly bitter IPA that is worth a try.

HalfFull, Sep 12, 2010
3.95/5  rDev +2.9%

Can't believe I've never had this, oh well here goes...

Pours an effervescent amber with 1+ finger od sandy colored head. Insane lacing & super head retention

S: Herbal & floral hops, not much else

T: Follows the nose, some honey & biscuitty malt, then big time leafy hops up front. Honey & apricot mix with herbal woody hops as this warms, makes me think "East Coast IPA", in a good way.. Finishes with a nice sweet maltyness, more herbal & woody hops, plus dryness. Almost pulled a 4.5

MF: Medium bodied with smooth carbonation, becomes chewier once warm & with good balance

Drinks very easy a nice hoppy option for this time of year. Hopefully I see this around more in the future...

russpowell, Sep 12, 2010
3.75/5  rDev -2.3%

Pours a translucent golden/light copper with a 2-finger, frothy light yellow head. Lots of soapy lacing.

The smell is mainly citrusy grapefruit with a little bit of floral hops. The taste is very bitter--grapefruit and herbal hops. Mouthfeel is carbonated, crisp, light to medium-bodied.

This is a drinkable beer; particularly if you like bitter hops. It goes well with cheddar cheese.

theghost3, Sep 11, 2010
3.78/5  rDev -1.6%

A - Nice orange colour. No noticable carbonation which seems strange. Thin one finger, white head that disappears fast.

S - Huge citrus hop aroma. Some pine as well. The citrus pulls through alot more though and is really nice.

T - Nice citrus flavour but less than the aroma. Minimal bitterness. Odd for an American IPA.

M - Medium body and very smooth but not something I would bring home to mom.

D - High because of the great citrusy, fruity hop flavour and aroma but if that wasn't my favourite kind of hop I would be upset.

tbeckett, Sep 05, 2010
3.98/5  rDev +3.6%

A- Golden amber with formidable head. Robust carbonation. (POST-REVIEW-- After my beer was gone the side I didn't drink from was just lathered with it's head. Quite frothy.)

S- Sweet with hops. Slightly floral. These two things dominate the smell. I believe I could smell caramel underneath, but I'm not sure.

T- Immediate bitter hops. Not too much sweet to this one, which works for me. Wheat and grain taste works in after you get used to the hops, and you start to notice just the slightest sweetness. Leaves you wanting more after every sip.

M- Smooth and full. Carbonation is just right.

D- Is really hitting the spot for me, and I would love to try it again. Very drinkable for 6.9%. I'd have to watch myself if I bought a 6pk of them. If you're a fan of bitter IPA's, I think you should check this one out.

BBP, Aug 31, 2010
4.03/5  rDev +4.9%

I've had this many times before, but this particular sample comes from a Southern Tier mix pack I picked up at Wegmans in Cicero NY. Served cold in a chilled pint glass.

This brew pours a clear deep gold color with a lovely 1 1/2" head that settles slowly and eventually leaves some whispy ice bergs of foam behind. The smell is semi-sweet with sugary light malts and a healthy resiny orange and pine hop. The feel is light and mildly sweet, just enough to back up a great resiny hoppy bite. Taste is of bitter orange rind and pine, with a light candy sweetness. Great lace on the glass throughout. Carbonation is adequate and the nearly 7% ABV is undetected. This is a great everyday IPA.

BeerNinja007, Aug 30, 2010
3.95/5  rDev +2.9%

appearance- copper/orange

smell- very floral and sweet.

taste- plenty of hop flavor. bitterness lingers on the tongue, but it is a good bitter taste.

could drink a few of these. A bit too high for a session beer, but good for about 2-3 while watching the game.

madjr80, Aug 28, 2010
3.78/5  rDev -1.6%

Poured into a Sam Adams glass.

A- Lager-like golden color with good head retention and carbonation. Half-inch head persists throughout, right to the last sip

S- Nice. A little sweet, a little piney. Nice mix of hops, but not overwhelming.

T- Much more subdued than I expected. Flavor is similar to DH 90-Minute without the alcohol bite, which is appreciated. This brew is even a little more complex. I'm searching for a bit more sweetness, but otherwise nice and earthy. A little dry to finish, but not bad.

M- The constant head gives a nice, soft touch to every sip.

D- Pretty mild flavor, considering the brewer and style. It's a pretty accessible brew.

stonermouse, Aug 28, 2010
3.88/5  rDev +1%

Let me say first that I don't like beer, and I certainly am not a huge fan of hopy beer, however, for what It's worth and what southern Tier is trying to do, this was great.
Great taste, nice and smooth with some serious hop punch through out the whole thing.

callmeclemens, Aug 27, 2010
3.58/5  rDev -6.8%

12oz bottle poured into pint glass..

Looks like an atypical IPA.. golden with a touch of amber highlights. The aroma is very mild. Not much hop aroma here. I'm picking up mostly sweetness from the malt, with a touch of resinous hops. Taste follows the aroma mostly.. Very bready, very sweet for an IPA.. almost taste a bit of apple. Mouthfeel and drinkability are good.
Not a bad east coast IPA in my book, but I'd rather spend the couple extra bucks and get a sixer of 2XIPA.

Torps, Aug 22, 2010
3.95/5  rDev +2.9%

A:Pours a solid see thru copper color with a finger worth head that quickly falls leaving nice lacing behind

S:Nice floral hop aroma in the nose

T:Solid hops up front followed by a nice malty finish, Slight bite and alcohol sting on the backburner

M:Nice body with good carbonation

D:Fairly decent offering from S. Tier. Very drinkable and tastgy as well

SuperNova777, Aug 20, 2010
3.28/5  rDev -14.6%

Think amber honey - the kind you get in the pudgy little bear. Cravable, and might go well with biscuits. A faint white head rings the glass, with only slight head within.

Sweet hops pervade, almost like apple juice in its sweetness, with only a mild whiff of spice.

Much more hoppy than you might expect from the nose, it settles relatively heavy on the tongue, with a lasting bitterness. No other predominant flavors come through, but it ends with a bit of alcohol.

Nice in the mouth, but because the flavors are somewhat lacking, it's not necesarily one to savor.

Honestly, didn't enjoy this beer that much - sweet and bitter for the sake of being bitter, rather than imparting the depth I like in an IPA.

mdcrouser, Aug 18, 2010

Pours a burnt rose color with a very foamy white head. Head stays forever. Thick lace coats the inside of the glass.

Hops. Smells of hops. Flowery and herbal.

Taste is all hops. Bit of sweetness but the finish is all bitter hops.

Medium bodied, average carbonation.

Nice, easy drinking beer. Worked well sitting in the ballpark watching a game.

dstc, Aug 17, 2010
3.5/5  rDev -8.9%

A-Pours an clear orange amber color with a one and a half finger head that dissipates quickly. Light lacing is left behind.

S-Pine, orange, some grapefruit, and some caramel malt on the nose with some floral notes.

T-Good dose of orange, pine, and grapefruit on the opening with some nice caramel in the middle and finishes with bitter pine and orange.

M-A little dry in the mouth for my taste, but not bad with medium body and low, prickly carbonation.

D-Not a bad beer per se, but I feel like I've had this beer many times before. I guess there are only so many hop combinations out there.

samie85, Aug 17, 2010
3.45/5  rDev -10.2%

No bottled on date or best by date.

Clear copper color. It appears to be orange with some amber highlights. 1 1/4 finger of white bubbles.

I smell mostly pine, a little grapefruit, and some malted grains. Possibly a touch of honey and alcohol in the aroma as well.

Initially, I taste some honey type sweetness which I would assume is from the 4 types of malt used. Then I taste the hops: mostly pine, a little grapefruit, some grassy/earthy hops and maybe just a touch of alcohol. Doesn't seem to be too aggressively hopped. The finish is a little bitter and a little dry.

The mouthfeel is light to medium. Seems to be a little sticky. Low to medium carbonation.

The drinkability is ok. This is a definitely not a hop bomb. Seems to be leaning more towards the malt then the hops. This beer is really not that bitter or dry. I get plenty of sweetness from the malt--too much for me, in my opinion, for an IPA. Its ok but, with so many other IPAs out there, I don't think I would revisit this one.

Dubber55, Aug 14, 2010
3.35/5  rDev -12.8%

Golden brown in color with a very fine sediment. A decent light-tan head settled down slowly. It was sticky and left a decent amougnt of lace behind.

A buttery smoothness throughout the mouth, but became a little rough as it hit the throat.

A hops bite kicks in right away, along with a tartness, but seemed out of balance with the roasted malts which lingered through the finish. Dry, herbal and piney hops seems to be trying to fight through the burnt roasted malts, but to little avail. The aftertaste was a mild hops bitterness and sweet caramel malt.

My opinion is that this IPA is not balanced very well and outside of a little bitterness, has little flavor from the hops spectrum I believe an IPA should have. It's not the worst IPA I've tasted, but with so many good one's out there now, I wouldn't have it again, nor could I recommend it.

SenorHops, Aug 12, 2010
4.5/5  rDev +17.2%

12 oz. bottle poured into a Sam Adams Perfect Pint Glass. Comes out a golden dark yellow color with a white head with many small bubbles. It sticks around for awhile and there is some good lacing to it. The smell is what IPA's are supposed to smell like, especially if you like them well hopped. Its dominated by the hop yet not overly hoppy at the same time. Beautiful blend of pine and citrus hops and some malts, it actually smells a little sweet. The flavor is also great. Great balance of citrus, pine hops. Tend to taste a grapfruity flavor with as some pine and herbal flavors as well. Pretty well malted, some toasted sweet malts, almost a slight butterscotch flavor. However did I mention the hops dominate the flavor? Again not overly hoppy and well blended. The mouthfeel is good, starts sweet and finishes nice. Bitter finish, could be a little cleaner but still good. Extremely drinkable, one of the best American IPA's on the market in my opinion.

Funny how things turn out over the years. I had several beers from Southern Tier before I finally tried the IPA. I first tried it about 2 years ago and I wasn't that impressed, and now I absolutely love it.

AndyAvalanche, Aug 10, 2010
3.43/5  rDev -10.7%

Appearance - a transparent copper color with an off white head.
Smell - a hoppy smell that doesn't stay in the nose long
Taste - a dry bitterness at first, that turns into a more crisp hop after taste. the after taste saves this beer for me.
Mouthfeel - a very dry mouthfeel, with medium carbnation
Drinkability - I'm set with one of these maybe two.

joeland, Aug 06, 2010
3.83/5  rDev -0.3%

Picked up a six over the weekend and just sitting down to try one a couple days later. First impression---highly drinkable. This is a solid all-arounder IPA. Not the hoppiest or bitterest or maltiest pour. It's what I would call a middle of the road IPA. Matter of fact, that's what I like best about this beer. It's not going for over the top, outrageousness. It's a classic, tasty, very enjoyable brew.

Edit: After many more samples of this beer, I knocked down the aroma and taste scores a hair. Just find that the beer may be a bit too simple--not bad---but simple. Feel there is a bit too much malt sweetness---wish the hops dominated more. Still, I would purchase occasionally.

DJED69, Aug 03, 2010
4.47/5  rDev +16.4%

A - Pours a slightly hazy golden colour with 2cm of white head that slowly falls away.
S - Floral and citrus hops a top a bready maltiness.
T - Very much the same as the smell; some pine hints also come through.
M - Medium bodied, medium carbonation. Bitterness is there but pretty smooth.
D - A simple yet interesting very drinkable IPA.

brendan13, Jul 31, 2010
3.83/5  rDev -0.3%

Nose: Dominant citrus hops.

Appearance: Rich amber gold. Moderate and short-lived head.

Taste: It's an IPA--it's hoppy and bitter. There's a hint of caramel that rises afterward. Lemon and grassyness buried deep, but present.

Feel: Not overpoweringly carbonated, but certainly noticeable.

Overall: Good IPA. Stong. Lingering bitterness with an earthy quality.

sjverla, Jul 31, 2010
3.43/5  rDev -10.7%

very light amber color with a very head that looks very foamy and has very large bubbles. slightly opaque, but you can still see through it. sweet smell of hops and caramel notes. It's light for an ipa and very smooth, with a strong but mellow taste of hops. Not a lot of bitterness with this one. Overall this is a simple, well-made, though not spectacular, IPA. It mentions that it's brewed with 4 types of hops and 4 types of malts, but it all seems the same to me. It's certainly drinkable but there is nothing to separate this from other IPAs and make me pull it off the shelf above others.

Blanco, Jul 30, 2010