IPA (India Pale Ale) - Southern Tier Brewing Company

IPA (India Pale Ale)IPA (India Pale Ale)

Southern Tier Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

(Beer added by: John on 03-24-2003)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of IPA (India Pale Ale) Alström Bros
4.53/5  rDev +18%

Excellent drinkable orange colored IPA without a load of pure bitterness but rather pure flavor...

There is a sweet, juicy feel to this beer....the aroma is floral, with sweet citrus (tangerines, mandarin oranges), a little spiciness, and a nice dose of caramel sweet maltiness...

Highly drinkable...the flavors blend perfectly...more sweet citrus and caramel on the taste but a hint of spiciness remains...

This is damn good....not a big smack you in the face badass bitter IPA...but rather a highly drinkable highly flavorful IPA....Not to say this doesn't have some bitterness to it...but it is placed perfectly and fits with the entire beer.

I am impressed with this..some may not like the balance...I love it...I could drink this all night long...Would have to rate in my top 10 or so of IPA's and probably one of the most sessionable on the list..

ZAP, Jan 29, 2008
3.93/5  rDev +2.3%

pours a somewhat dark orange almost bronze in color. The head is about right at 2 1/2 fingers, and some good lacing. The smell is citrus hops, (mostly lemon and grapefruit) and some grainy malts. The taste is more balanced and well rounded then the nose starting with a good malt base and quite a bit of bittering hops. Another good beer from southern tier, I glad i have been finding brews from them more often.

dickieb, Jan 15, 2008
3.78/5  rDev -1.6%

Kinda darker straw yellow with a modest off-white head. Aromas of mild grapefruit and somewhat dry malt. The flavor is classic "balanced" east coast IPA, but this balance has more. There is a good, clean malt quality of some depth and complexity here rather than just a two dimensional balance between malty sweet and hoppy bitter. The hops seem to go more towards the bittering side than the aroma or flavor side as you work your way through.

dedrinker, Jan 10, 2008
4.13/5  rDev +7.6%

A-Pours a light copper hue almost orange on color.Tons of tiny bubbles from bottom of glass.1/2" off white colored head,great lacing.

S-Smells of crisp,clean citrus/grapefruit with a hint of orange and pine.

T-First taste was toasted malt that quikly fades to a huge sweet/floral and earthy hop finish.

M-Medium bodied,it is slightly sticky and has a great bitter,dry feel.

D-First beer from Southern Tier and I'm very pleased.This is a very drinkable IPA.If readily available I will continue to purchase and sample beers from this brewery.

twbrewer, Jan 09, 2008
3.83/5  rDev -0.3%

Had this a few times before; first review. Poured into bottle: smallish head, hazy gold, and decent lacing.

Floral aroma on the nose with toasty malty goodness.

A very balanced taste for an AIPA with good hop presence; not exactly a hop bomb but with an impressive crispiness (which is nice since I've OD'ed on Hop Wallop this holiday season). Slick mouthfeel that leaves the mouth a tad dry after leaving the mouth. Alcohol is hidden very well.

A very nice session IPA and a great starter for any newbie looking to explore the wonderful world of the hop. Impressive balance for an AIPA and will certainly drink again.

jdoncbus, Jan 08, 2008
4.05/5  rDev +5.5%

Pours a nice head into a pint glass. This IPA is a crisp and refreshing brew that fulfulls both my hoppy needs as well as my New York State of mind.

I enjoy this IPA in a frosted pint glass and find it best at very cold temps. The alcohol is not to overwelming, and plays well with the overall finished product.

This is one of my favorites from Southern Tier, who actually caught me off guard at first....turns out I was the fool.

cheers!

BuffaloTapHugger, Jan 06, 2008
3.58/5  rDev -6.8%

My first-ever brew from Southern Tier - a company I've heard a lot of good things about - and their IPA wasn't bad at all... copped a single 12 oz bottle from Gary's in Madison... pours a copper / amber color with minimal head... smell was extremely hoppy... more so than many IPA's I've ever sampled, and that's why I gave it a "4.5"... bread and butter, earthy flavors lend a good taste which is almost too nutty... mouthfeel was good, but due to the intense and borderline sweet flavor from the hops, drinkability was average at best... I've had better renditions of the style, although I really can't complain about this one... if you're a fan of IPA's, this is defintely worth a try... very rich flavor...

dsa7783, Jan 05, 2008
4.2/5  rDev +9.4%

Pours a perfectly clear amber orange with big bubbles of carbonation and a nice white head that leaves some lacing down the glass. Great pungeant smell. Somewhat piney at first but gives way to some intense citrus. An orange peel scent and a biscuity malt comes through. Light caramel malt. Taste is that of a classic IPA for me. Crisp and pretty bitter hops with a solid malt backbone but only solid in that it helps provide some balance. Hops definitely dominate. Slightly dry mouthfeel in the finish and a tingle on the tongue. Really good drinkability and on point for the style.

Thanks to shaebs99 for the extra.

ncvbc, Jan 05, 2008
3.9/5  rDev +1.6%

Special thanks to Ding for bringing me an assortment of goodies from this brewery. I am not really that big of a fan of this style, but this was a wonderful representation of the style. I think the whole "wreckless hops" thing is quite overdone, but this had a really nice smell of sticky, sweet hops and a solid malty backbone. This had a really nice dry roasted maltiness to it right at the finish that I thought was very nice. Mouthfeel was leaning toward the heavier side, even by style standards, which I also liked. While drinkable, the assertive [West coast-style] hops simply aren't for me. One or two of these and I'd be finished with this beer...for a week or so. All in all though, this was a nice U.S.-style IPA.

SilentSabre, Jan 01, 2008
4.3/5  rDev +12%

A- light amber,clear, with a big white head. Alot of lacing.

S- citrus hops, orange, a little bit of cereal.

T- mostly hops (cascade) floral, and citrus, but the cracker malts really balance this beer out. The finish is long and bitter.

M- this is quite heavy, and the carbonation is relativly low.

D- good drinkability, but it is an IPA so you know...after a few it's time to move on. This might be one of my favorite IPAs.

pittvkyle7, Dec 29, 2007
3.78/5  rDev -1.6%

Orange, and a little cloudy is how this started out, with little head but a sticky lace and slight carbonation. Looks appetizing. Smells pungent, hops writing the story but an odd "artifical" note, like heavily processed hops. Grapefruit was slight. Average at best. Mouth was nicely bitter, thicker with a slight remainder of the malt. Went down easier than the taste/consistency would indicate. Flavor? This was a dry, slightly malty and nicely bitter mix. The grapefruit flavors were in the background leaving a more earthy hops flavor to take center stage. Kind of a sweet finish too, I thought almost Ju-Ju Bees? It wasn't strong however. It's a very well balanced IPA with a dryness that makes this a little different from most and one that I wouldn't mind re-visiting.

Ricochet, Dec 27, 2007
4.05/5  rDev +5.5%

I have been meaning to try ST's regular IPA for some time now. No idea why I am just getting around to it, but I saw it in the cooler at Bierkraft and was in the mood for an IPA so....

A_Pours a dark golden hue with a two finger off white head. This takes a while to dissipate and settles into a one finger cap which lasts during the whole drink. The entire glass shows that there was a great beer in it as lace coats the sides.

S_All about the hops, resiny piney hops. The smell reminds me of Hop Ottin IPA which was my regular beer when I lived in CA.

T_A pleasing malt sweetness surprises upon first sip. There is a nice caramel taste that makes way for a moderate dose of piney hops. The balance is surprising given the smell and the other hoppy beers I have had from the brewery.

M-Mildy thick, moderate carbonation.

D_A very good IPA. This is something I will pick up a sixer of in the near future, this reminds me of Hop Ottin except with a bit more malt sweetness.

sleazo, Dec 27, 2007
3.85/5  rDev +0.3%

Nice pale orange color with a sticky white head. Lacing coats the sides of the nonic.

Orange peel oil, grapefruit, pine, chewable vitamin, and some malt in the nose. Smells West Coastish.

Pleasant sweet tangerine juicy flavors upfront, followed by some malt, pine and rind flavors. The finish is the most unpleasant part of this beer. It tastes and has the feel of a Flintsone vitamin. Bitterness is intermediate and not at all harsh.

Good IPA, but it would be excellent if that odd metallic/medicinal flavor was not in the mix. I would recommend giving this a try, you may really like Flintstone vitamins and totally dig that finish. I am interested in seeing how Unearthly tastes.

bosco7, Dec 25, 2007
4.5/5  rDev +17.2%

Pours a rich gold colour with a nice fluffy white head that forms a decent lace on the glass. Has a strong American citrus hop aroma. The flavour is all American citrus hops and light crystal malt for balance. This beer does not have the agressive bitterness one would expect from an American style IPA. I had never had any of this breweries beers before and I admit I am very impressed. It is long on hop flavour and aroma with just the right amount of crystal malt to tie the beer together. Very good!

mjryan, Dec 24, 2007
4.1/5  rDev +6.8%

A 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass, tasted in early October. Review from notes - thanks to chilzwel for sending...

A: Pours with a lofty, foamy white head, crested at the rim of the glass and j-u-s-t barely crept over. Color is light tan, touched by an auburn/chestnut. A little silty haze and scarce carbonation, rising slowly. head drops to a thin gauze, lace sticks in sizable globs.

S: A pleasing maltiness, lots of sweet caramel and juicy orange. Lemon citrus smells like meringue pie...that's a remarkable aroma rising from an IPA.

M: Toasted grains are really straightforward here, with zesty lemon/citrus, a bit of pine oil, and an herbal spice. Citrus develops into an orange peel pithiness, and an oaky wood flavor unfolds in the finish.

M: Medium body, creamy carbonation. A pithy and woody bitterness lingers on the back of the tongue, with a slightly drawn-in cheek pucker.

D: Nice IPA: easy to drink, good flavors, intriguing aroma. I have yet to try something from Southern Tier I didn't like - another endorsement here.

msubulldog25, Dec 19, 2007
4.97/5  rDev +29.4%

I discovered this god send of a beer in orchard park on the wknd of a buffalo bills game(21oct06). it was my first real IPA & i fell in love w/ the style & the hops. anyway it tasted like i was grazing in a field,... but in a good way. sooo good!!! i would drink this one till my liver failed

vangoghtaling, Dec 15, 2007
3.73/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I had this beer on tap at Red Bones in Davis Sq. Somerville, MA. The beer pour a very clear lightish amber color, some head, lacing, and retention. The smell is sweetish, which matches the flavor, some hop resins, perhaps a bit of pine notes as well. The beer is moderately carbonated, pretty well hopped, but there isn't that oily resinous hop notes that I've come to expect from a nice IPA. There isn't the dry maltish backbone that would have significantly ranked this beer higher, but rather you'll find a little bit of a thin beer with a sweetish malt, almost raspberry quality to the sweetness. It's okay, but it isn't all that complementary either. The beer is definitely lighter bodied, watery mouthfeel, some acid in the finish. Not a bad beer. L'Chaim.

albern, Dec 15, 2007
3.95/5  rDev +2.9%

This beer poured a golden color with a rocky cream colored head. The aroma was initially of fresh hops – almost evergreen – with a finish of malty sweetness. The taste is hoppy, but not overpowering. The malt is also quite noticeable and provides a great backbone for the hops. The mouthfeel is medium and a touch oily – in a good way. Overall, this is a nicely balanced brew – definitely an easy to drink IPA.

barefootbrewer, Nov 27, 2007
4.35/5  rDev +13.3%

First off one of my all time favorite session IPAs, anytime it's on tap at the Sharp Edge Creekhouse I'm probably drinking either this or Two Hearted Ale. Appears a super filtered amber copper tone with a large billowing off white head, kinda has a biscuit looking texture floating above the body and definitely forms even lacing all around. Aroma sharp citrus peel sugar coated hop presence hits me first with sweet rolling malts some biscuit and mild caramel aspects flow. However the highlight happens to be the vinous green fresh hop character with the citrus acidity that makes this brew. Strong assertive bitterness flows with hop flavors as well floral, mild pine, and heavy citrus with a strong citrus peel finish. Malts balance just enough with a touch of caramel malts gracing the palate no sweet candy flavor here, also a mineral character is apparent in the finish. Mouthfeel is medium bodied slightly sticky with sturdy carbonation, nothing overdone flows quite nicely just the dry bitterness in the finish is left on my palate. Drinkability is clean citrus slight puckering effect with some mild tartness but overall a great drinking IPA that I will always keep close to my steady repertoire of session IPAs.

WVbeergeek, Nov 12, 2007
4.45/5  rDev +15.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

This IPA was responsible for getting me back on an IPA kick. I literally hadn't had an IPA in about a decade, as I veered into my various tasting experiments with darks. I recalled having an IPA that I really didn't like, and avoided them far too long. Back in NY to stand up for a friend's wedding, he kindly gave me a great, 5-day cooler stocked with NY strip steaks and a case worth of Southern Tier beers, 12 of which were this IPA. Many thanks, Captain Pat.

The clear amber beer poured a nice, frothy head a good 2 fingers thick. Excellent lacing and head duration. Well hopped nose, rife with citrus (orange peel, tangerine, and lemon) with some caramel malt in tow. The taste followed this closely and, with the strong hop presence, delivered a bold, citrusy taste. Somewhat floral, IPA should certainly satisfy hop lovers. It was effervescent, with a decent bite that wasn't overbearing. It was all too easy to grab another--and I did without apology.

Well worth trying this sterling beverage from Southern Tier. I still owe the Captain one for turning me back onto this excellent style, beverage, and brewery. One of the best IPAs around, and one of the best from a truly great brewery.

Tremendous.

Gehrig, Nov 12, 2007
3.85/5  rDev +0.3%

Pours a light copper color with fairly good head retention for an IPA. The aroma is a little disappointing in this brew. The hops do hit the nose, but it certainly lacks any complexity in this department. Taste is on the crisp, tart and bitter side with a somewhat shallow mouthfeel. All in all a very crisp and drinkable IPA, but not one of the most interesting ones our there.

holzmann, Nov 09, 2007
4.38/5  rDev +14.1%

I usually dive into an IPA wih the knowledge that the hops and alcoholic content are going to kick my ass. I was right, however there is so much more to the this certain offering.

It had a solid color and decent head retetnion.

The hop aroma was pungent and layered, more of which then many other IPA's I've drank. very crips, slight pinge of alcoholic heat, meager notes of the malts that have been coquered by other prevailing characteristics.

The taste followed the smell, accept for several flavors making themselves known out of nowhere, truly leaving me pleased. I took in noteso f toffee, corriander, and citrus in generous quantities while still swooning over the hoppy bitterness of the IPA. The taste lingers long and complete on your pallette.

For the punch the beer delivers, it is not abrasive at all, showing good balance and substance. The drinkability overall is good, just very filling with a lot of content to take in, i wouldnt reccomend drinking more then one or two at a time at most.

Definitley one of the better IPA's I've drank.

GFSchwab, Nov 05, 2007
4.22/5  rDev +9.9%

Having only seen bombers on the shelves from these guys, I had no idea Southern Tier bottled in six packs, or even made beer that wasn't IMPERIAL.

That in mind, I'm a huge fan of these guys. With only a couple of exceptions, I am always pleasantly surprised to find that - even with a tendency to push the ABV way over the top - Southern Tier consistently manages an impressive balancing act with almost every one of its offerings. This is exceedingly rare for American brewers. For me, balance trumps all else in the land of beer, no matter what style I'm drinking.

Cracked the 12 ounce bottle and filled up a 14 oz. pint glass. Pours a hazy attractive tan with a tint of red/amber. Head is humble and drops down quickly, leaving a trace-o-lace that lingers sip after sip. Slight amount of lace sticks to the sides of the glass as you drink, but not a whole lot.

Smells good. Crisp hop aroma that doesn't seem excessively dry (if dry can be sensed with the nose). Actually quite similar to Unearthly, their Imperial IPA, which happens to be one of my favorite beers. We're certainly off to a good start.

First taste and I'm truly impressed. This beer is quite flavorful at the low temperature I poured it at. As it warms it just gets better and better with each sip. Not too dry and sharp like a lot of super-hopped American IPAs, balanced by just the right amount of [sorta] fruitish sweetness. Seems to hit the middle, back, and sides of my tongue rather fully. Flavor lingers in the back after the swallow, but not for too long.

This stuff is super drinkable for an IPA. With a [relatively] low alcohol percentage (6.5% is much below average for ST, after all), I could make a night of this very easily. There's no overpowering bitter hop-bite that lotsa IPAs have, so it's quite approachable. I'd go so far as to recommend this brew to those unaccustomed to the style, but fans of Dogfish Head 60-minute would do well to grab ST's IPA instead if the opportunity were to present itself. It cost me a bit more than what I like to typically spend on the medium-high-quality echelon of 6-pack beer ($9.50), but the superior flavor easily excuses the modest jump in price.

sawbones420, Oct 30, 2007
3.63/5  rDev -5.5%

I thought this to be a pretty strong IPA, which is no small feat. With a few exceptions that come to mind (like Ommegang), everyone who's ever sold beer seems to make an IPA, so it isn't the easiest style to be successful with. And I feel this one is pretty good.

Appearance is fairly dark; a rich red-amber color. Like other Southern Tier beers I've had, this beer is clear and sparkling. Aroma is balanced and is equal parts malt and hop. The hop note is floral and pleasant. Flavor is also balanced but is also crisp and clean. Mouthfeel is also crisp and clean without being either thin nor syrupy.

A commendable IPA, which I enjoyed and I would recommend.

SurlySober gave me this bottle...and I'm grateful.

BeerBelcher, Oct 27, 2007
4.6/5  rDev +19.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a golden amber color with a huge, frothy head. Aromy is very strong and grassy upfront, hoppy, fruity and I can even detect a toasted essence. Taste upfront is very hoppy/grassy and fades into a nice toasted aftertaste. Not too hoppy nor too malty. Leaves a lot of lacing on the glass. It also compliments my pizza well, which is nice. Nice and bitter in the back of the tongue as well.

I have to say, a very drinkable IPA here. The aroma alone is worth purchasing this IPA. It draws you in and then the taste captures you.

Brad007, Oct 21, 2007