IPA (India Pale Ale) - Southern Tier Brewing Company

IPA (India Pale Ale)IPA (India Pale Ale)

Southern Tier Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

(Beer added by: John on 03-24-2003)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of IPA (India Pale Ale) Alström Bros
3.43/5  rDev -10.4%

Standard Ipa amber with small white head and some fairly good lacing.

Hops hit the nose, but not very strong. I had some trouble smelling anything with this beer, I'm not sure why.

Piney hops with slight citrus and malty finish. A little too strong with the toasted/caramel malts for me, but still good.

Could use a little bit more carbonation in my opinion.

Goes down pretty easy, but not my favorite IPA.

Thanks goes out to jwc215 and drseamus for this brew.

Poured into a pint glass (Scorpion) a nice clean/clear dark golden orange color, nice carbonation, huge two-finger plus foamy off-white head, which leaves a nice thick sticky lacing through the glass. The nose is malty/hoppy, nice touch of citrus/pines, and a good dose of caramel. The taste is slightly sweet, very nice balance of malts and hops, the citrus/pines is not overwhelming at all, nice. The finish is slightly dry/bitter. Medium body. Very drinkable, a very nice IPA from Southern Tier, I really like this one. Thanks again Joe and Jeremy. Cheers!

4.3/5  rDev +12.3%

12oz. bottle into shaker pint glass on 1/29/08.

A - Poured a clear amber/orange body with short, creamy white head that gave way to some nice lacing around the glass. Modest carbonation.

S - Ample citrus hop nose with plenty of biscuity and toasted malt, as well as some sweet caramel. Some piney hops in the mix also. Quite a pleasant aroma that wasn't too overpowering.

T - Citrusy and piney hops blend nicely with a toasted graininess and caramel malt sweetness. Very well-balanced flavor with a solid malt backbone. Nice crisp, biscuity malt finish with a solid hop bite.

M - Light to medium body with moderately oily texture that leaves a slick, even coating over the tongue and sides of the mouth. Leaves a warm, bitter bite on the back of the tongue with some residual toasted graininess on the palate. Very nice!

D - Extremely drinkable IPA. Quite pleased with this one. Nothing really unique or overly complex, just a solid IPA consistent to the style.

4.53/5  rDev +18.3%

Excellent drinkable orange colored IPA without a load of pure bitterness but rather pure flavor...

There is a sweet, juicy feel to this beer....the aroma is floral, with sweet citrus (tangerines, mandarin oranges), a little spiciness, and a nice dose of caramel sweet maltiness...

Highly drinkable...the flavors blend perfectly...more sweet citrus and caramel on the taste but a hint of spiciness remains...

This is damn good....not a big smack you in the face badass bitter IPA...but rather a highly drinkable highly flavorful IPA....Not to say this doesn't have some bitterness to it...but it is placed perfectly and fits with the entire beer.

I am impressed with this..some may not like the balance...I love it...I could drink this all night long...Would have to rate in my top 10 or so of IPA's and probably one of the most sessionable on the list..

4.53/5  rDev +18.3%

12oz bottle poured into an 8oz glass in my hotel room, because it was all that I had!

A – Poured a very nice and clear amber color, a nice orange amber with a good sized, maybe two finger high head of white frothy lace on top. After a few minutes this relaxed down and formed just a small amount of side glass lace down the sides, but what was there stood around for a good long time and really made it have a nice look on the glass. There was a very nice amount of carbonation which was apparent from the very beginning of this one. Lots of streams of bubbles working their way up and condensing to reinforce the little bit of film left on the top. Overall nice classic light IPA look.

S – The aroma was rich and full and caught me right away which was just what I was looking for. A huge bouquet of deep floral hops, lots of citrus notes here came off almost too strong at first, well maybe to the amateur but to me, no such thing. As it warmed it started to change over to some pine resin like aromas, but still with the sticking orange and tangerine flavor lingering. Some nice notable hints of sugar then started to make their presence felt and really took the whole thing to the next level and gave it that hop bomb character we all know and love.

T – The flavor was great, I mean I needed exactly this at the time, and it was just spot on. Deep thick citrus hoppy goodness is exactly the phrase I have written down in my notebook. It was just a mess of orange, tangerine, and pineapple, with some sweet sugary notes thrown in and a touch of pine to make it all fresh. The finish was super bitter and dry and brought out the flavors of a fresh meadow of flowers with the taste of almost like a dandelion and fresh cut grass. Just really great and a classic gem of a west coast IPA, but from an east coast source, what more could you ask for.

M – The body on this was much thicker then the initial look would have led me to believe it would have been. The clear well carbonated look would have lended me to think this would have come off a bit light, but this was a very nice medium bodied ale with a mild syrup like feel to it that really did not become bothersome due to the ample carbonation that kept it from becoming that way. It was just a really nice full feel to it with no slickness and just a smooth coating texture that really let you have it and felt really great.

D – This was a classic session ale for me all the way. I mean what more could I ask for then a moderate ABV highly hopped well carbonated brew that I could put down for hours. This was just about as good as it gets for me as far as being able to put down a few, I wish I had gotten a sixer of this instead of a single as it would have been nice to have another one after the fact.

Overall this was fantastic, and definitely another winner from Southern Tier. I am just starting to be able to sample a lot of their brews and the more I have the more I am impressed with. This one was no different. They took the style of the west coast session IPA and made it their own while staying true to the roots, could not really ask for much more. I would recommend this to any hop lover.

3.93/5  rDev +2.6%

pours a somewhat dark orange almost bronze in color. The head is about right at 2 1/2 fingers, and some good lacing. The smell is citrus hops, (mostly lemon and grapefruit) and some grainy malts. The taste is more balanced and well rounded then the nose starting with a good malt base and quite a bit of bittering hops. Another good beer from southern tier, I glad i have been finding brews from them more often.

3.78/5  rDev -1.3%

Kinda darker straw yellow with a modest off-white head. Aromas of mild grapefruit and somewhat dry malt. The flavor is classic "balanced" east coast IPA, but this balance has more. There is a good, clean malt quality of some depth and complexity here rather than just a two dimensional balance between malty sweet and hoppy bitter. The hops seem to go more towards the bittering side than the aroma or flavor side as you work your way through.

4.13/5  rDev +7.8%

A-Pours a light copper hue almost orange on color.Tons of tiny bubbles from bottom of glass.1/2" off white colored head,great lacing.

S-Smells of crisp,clean citrus/grapefruit with a hint of orange and pine.

T-First taste was toasted malt that quikly fades to a huge sweet/floral and earthy hop finish.

M-Medium bodied,it is slightly sticky and has a great bitter,dry feel.

D-First beer from Southern Tier and I'm very pleased.This is a very drinkable IPA.If readily available I will continue to purchase and sample beers from this brewery.

3.83/5  rDev 0%

Had this a few times before; first review. Poured into bottle: smallish head, hazy gold, and decent lacing.

Floral aroma on the nose with toasty malty goodness.

A very balanced taste for an AIPA with good hop presence; not exactly a hop bomb but with an impressive crispiness (which is nice since I've OD'ed on Hop Wallop this holiday season). Slick mouthfeel that leaves the mouth a tad dry after leaving the mouth. Alcohol is hidden very well.

A very nice session IPA and a great starter for any newbie looking to explore the wonderful world of the hop. Impressive balance for an AIPA and will certainly drink again.

4.05/5  rDev +5.7%

Pours a nice head into a pint glass. This IPA is a crisp and refreshing brew that fulfulls both my hoppy needs as well as my New York State of mind.

I enjoy this IPA in a frosted pint glass and find it best at very cold temps. The alcohol is not to overwelming, and plays well with the overall finished product.

This is one of my favorites from Southern Tier, who actually caught me off guard at first....turns out I was the fool.

cheers!

3.58/5  rDev -6.5%

My first-ever brew from Southern Tier - a company I've heard a lot of good things about - and their IPA wasn't bad at all... copped a single 12 oz bottle from Gary's in Madison... pours a copper / amber color with minimal head... smell was extremely hoppy... more so than many IPA's I've ever sampled, and that's why I gave it a "4.5"... bread and butter, earthy flavors lend a good taste which is almost too nutty... mouthfeel was good, but due to the intense and borderline sweet flavor from the hops, drinkability was average at best... I've had better renditions of the style, although I really can't complain about this one... if you're a fan of IPA's, this is defintely worth a try... very rich flavor...

4.2/5  rDev +9.7%

Pours a perfectly clear amber orange with big bubbles of carbonation and a nice white head that leaves some lacing down the glass. Great pungeant smell. Somewhat piney at first but gives way to some intense citrus. An orange peel scent and a biscuity malt comes through. Light caramel malt. Taste is that of a classic IPA for me. Crisp and pretty bitter hops with a solid malt backbone but only solid in that it helps provide some balance. Hops definitely dominate. Slightly dry mouthfeel in the finish and a tingle on the tongue. Really good drinkability and on point for the style.

Thanks to shaebs99 for the extra.

3.9/5  rDev +1.8%

Special thanks to Ding for bringing me an assortment of goodies from this brewery. I am not really that big of a fan of this style, but this was a wonderful representation of the style. I think the whole "wreckless hops" thing is quite overdone, but this had a really nice smell of sticky, sweet hops and a solid malty backbone. This had a really nice dry roasted maltiness to it right at the finish that I thought was very nice. Mouthfeel was leaning toward the heavier side, even by style standards, which I also liked. While drinkable, the assertive [West coast-style] hops simply aren't for me. One or two of these and I'd be finished with this beer...for a week or so. All in all though, this was a nice U.S.-style IPA.

3.93/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a slightly clouded darker amber. No head. Nose is slightly hopped. Flavor is sticky and syrupy with a woody tone to it. Slightly piney, but smooth. A level sweetness to it. Feel is fairly thick on the liquid and good on the bubble. Overall very smooth and very drinkable. No hop bomb here. Just a nice smooth and mature IPA. Worth a shot!

4.3/5  rDev +12.3%

A- light amber,clear, with a big white head. Alot of lacing.

S- citrus hops, orange, a little bit of cereal.

T- mostly hops (cascade) floral, and citrus, but the cracker malts really balance this beer out. The finish is long and bitter.

M- this is quite heavy, and the carbonation is relativly low.

D- good drinkability, but it is an IPA so you know...after a few it's time to move on. This might be one of my favorite IPAs.

3.78/5  rDev -1.3%

Orange, and a little cloudy is how this started out, with little head but a sticky lace and slight carbonation. Looks appetizing. Smells pungent, hops writing the story but an odd "artifical" note, like heavily processed hops. Grapefruit was slight. Average at best. Mouth was nicely bitter, thicker with a slight remainder of the malt. Went down easier than the taste/consistency would indicate. Flavor? This was a dry, slightly malty and nicely bitter mix. The grapefruit flavors were in the background leaving a more earthy hops flavor to take center stage. Kind of a sweet finish too, I thought almost Ju-Ju Bees? It wasn't strong however. It's a very well balanced IPA with a dryness that makes this a little different from most and one that I wouldn't mind re-visiting.

4.05/5  rDev +5.7%

I have been meaning to try ST's regular IPA for some time now. No idea why I am just getting around to it, but I saw it in the cooler at Bierkraft and was in the mood for an IPA so....

A_Pours a dark golden hue with a two finger off white head. This takes a while to dissipate and settles into a one finger cap which lasts during the whole drink. The entire glass shows that there was a great beer in it as lace coats the sides.

S_All about the hops, resiny piney hops. The smell reminds me of Hop Ottin IPA which was my regular beer when I lived in CA.

T_A pleasing malt sweetness surprises upon first sip. There is a nice caramel taste that makes way for a moderate dose of piney hops. The balance is surprising given the smell and the other hoppy beers I have had from the brewery.

M-Mildy thick, moderate carbonation.

D_A very good IPA. This is something I will pick up a sixer of in the near future, this reminds me of Hop Ottin except with a bit more malt sweetness.

3.85/5  rDev +0.5%

Nice pale orange color with a sticky white head. Lacing coats the sides of the nonic.

Orange peel oil, grapefruit, pine, chewable vitamin, and some malt in the nose. Smells West Coastish.

Pleasant sweet tangerine juicy flavors upfront, followed by some malt, pine and rind flavors. The finish is the most unpleasant part of this beer. It tastes and has the feel of a Flintsone vitamin. Bitterness is intermediate and not at all harsh.

Good IPA, but it would be excellent if that odd metallic/medicinal flavor was not in the mix. I would recommend giving this a try, you may really like Flintstone vitamins and totally dig that finish. I am interested in seeing how Unearthly tastes.

4.5/5  rDev +17.5%

Pours a rich gold colour with a nice fluffy white head that forms a decent lace on the glass. Has a strong American citrus hop aroma. The flavour is all American citrus hops and light crystal malt for balance. This beer does not have the agressive bitterness one would expect from an American style IPA. I had never had any of this breweries beers before and I admit I am very impressed. It is long on hop flavour and aroma with just the right amount of crystal malt to tie the beer together. Very good!

4.1/5  rDev +7%

A 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass, tasted in early October. Review from notes - thanks to chilzwel for sending...

A: Pours with a lofty, foamy white head, crested at the rim of the glass and j-u-s-t barely crept over. Color is light tan, touched by an auburn/chestnut. A little silty haze and scarce carbonation, rising slowly. head drops to a thin gauze, lace sticks in sizable globs.

S: A pleasing maltiness, lots of sweet caramel and juicy orange. Lemon citrus smells like meringue pie...that's a remarkable aroma rising from an IPA.

M: Toasted grains are really straightforward here, with zesty lemon/citrus, a bit of pine oil, and an herbal spice. Citrus develops into an orange peel pithiness, and an oaky wood flavor unfolds in the finish.

M: Medium body, creamy carbonation. A pithy and woody bitterness lingers on the back of the tongue, with a slightly drawn-in cheek pucker.

D: Nice IPA: easy to drink, good flavors, intriguing aroma. I have yet to try something from Southern Tier I didn't like - another endorsement here.

4.97/5  rDev +29.8%

I discovered this god send of a beer in orchard park on the wknd of a buffalo bills game(21oct06). it was my first real IPA & i fell in love w/ the style & the hops. anyway it tasted like i was grazing in a field,... but in a good way. sooo good!!! i would drink this one till my liver failed

3.73/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I had this beer on tap at Red Bones in Davis Sq. Somerville, MA. The beer pour a very clear lightish amber color, some head, lacing, and retention. The smell is sweetish, which matches the flavor, some hop resins, perhaps a bit of pine notes as well. The beer is moderately carbonated, pretty well hopped, but there isn't that oily resinous hop notes that I've come to expect from a nice IPA. There isn't the dry maltish backbone that would have significantly ranked this beer higher, but rather you'll find a little bit of a thin beer with a sweetish malt, almost raspberry quality to the sweetness. It's okay, but it isn't all that complementary either. The beer is definitely lighter bodied, watery mouthfeel, some acid in the finish. Not a bad beer. L'Chaim.

3.95/5  rDev +3.1%

This beer poured a golden color with a rocky cream colored head. The aroma was initially of fresh hops – almost evergreen – with a finish of malty sweetness. The taste is hoppy, but not overpowering. The malt is also quite noticeable and provides a great backbone for the hops. The mouthfeel is medium and a touch oily – in a good way. Overall, this is a nicely balanced brew – definitely an easy to drink IPA.

4.35/5  rDev +13.6%

First off one of my all time favorite session IPAs, anytime it's on tap at the Sharp Edge Creekhouse I'm probably drinking either this or Two Hearted Ale. Appears a super filtered amber copper tone with a large billowing off white head, kinda has a biscuit looking texture floating above the body and definitely forms even lacing all around. Aroma sharp citrus peel sugar coated hop presence hits me first with sweet rolling malts some biscuit and mild caramel aspects flow. However the highlight happens to be the vinous green fresh hop character with the citrus acidity that makes this brew. Strong assertive bitterness flows with hop flavors as well floral, mild pine, and heavy citrus with a strong citrus peel finish. Malts balance just enough with a touch of caramel malts gracing the palate no sweet candy flavor here, also a mineral character is apparent in the finish. Mouthfeel is medium bodied slightly sticky with sturdy carbonation, nothing overdone flows quite nicely just the dry bitterness in the finish is left on my palate. Drinkability is clean citrus slight puckering effect with some mild tartness but overall a great drinking IPA that I will always keep close to my steady repertoire of session IPAs.

4.45/5  rDev +16.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

This IPA was responsible for getting me back on an IPA kick. I literally hadn't had an IPA in about a decade, as I veered into my various tasting experiments with darks. I recalled having an IPA that I really didn't like, and avoided them far too long. Back in NY to stand up for a friend's wedding, he kindly gave me a great, 5-day cooler stocked with NY strip steaks and a case worth of Southern Tier beers, 12 of which were this IPA. Many thanks, Captain Pat.

The clear amber beer poured a nice, frothy head a good 2 fingers thick. Excellent lacing and head duration. Well hopped nose, rife with citrus (orange peel, tangerine, and lemon) with some caramel malt in tow. The taste followed this closely and, with the strong hop presence, delivered a bold, citrusy taste. Somewhat floral, IPA should certainly satisfy hop lovers. It was effervescent, with a decent bite that wasn't overbearing. It was all too easy to grab another--and I did without apology.

Well worth trying this sterling beverage from Southern Tier. I still owe the Captain one for turning me back onto this excellent style, beverage, and brewery. One of the best IPAs around, and one of the best from a truly great brewery.

Tremendous.