IPA (India Pale Ale) - Southern Tier Brewing Company

IPA (India Pale Ale)IPA (India Pale Ale)

Southern Tier Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

(Beer added by: John on 03-24-2003)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of IPA (India Pale Ale) Alström Bros
beveragecaptain

4.1/5  rDev +6.8%

12 ounce bottle. The Southern Tier IPA pours out a slightly hazy amber color with a small head. The aroma is all about the hops, with fresh grapefruit and pine. The flavor too is dominated by hops. If you're not used to hops, you may find this beer challenging. If you like hops, you will like this beer. There is also a caramel sweetness, which prevents the beer from being too bitter. Some bubblegum flavor too. Thick, creamy mouthfeel. Maybe I just haven't had any hoppy beers in a while, but this seemed almost excessively hoppy. That being said, I loved it.

11-12-2005 23:03:27 | More by beveragecaptain
Celt44

4.93/5  rDev +28.4%

I've been hooked on this from the first. Currently, my #1. Even the green labeled bottle is beautiful to me.
Appearance is cloudy amber/copper. Medium head dissipates quickly but lacing lasts throughout.
Aroma is floral with hops and malt present.
Taste is strong of hops - grapefruit is more than present and it finishes with hints of pine. Not overly bitter at alll.
Mouthfeel is smooth throughout and finishes smooth - carbonation is not overbearing at all.
As I said before - I love this beer. The price and availability of Southern Tier products in my area make this one a great session brew.

11-09-2005 02:44:36 | More by Celt44
kmpitz2

Tennessee

4.78/5  rDev +24.5%

Happy surprise to find this in cincinnati this past weekend. It pours a mostly clear copper color with a small head that retains rather well over top. Beautiful color. It just looks great sitting in my pint glass. Nose is big citrusy sweet hop. Awesome aroma. Good notes of caramel malt behind it. This brew smells really damn nice. Flavor is dead on with the nose. Big citrusy hop with just a hint of piney hop overlaying a very clean caramel backbone. This reminds me a lot of the best homebrew IPA I made. Very very clean lines on the beer. There is a very mild bitter that hangs on the finish and burps are very hoppy, drawing me back to the brew. Feel is moderate with a moderate carbonation. Not sure what else I can say about this one. One of the absolute most solid IPA's I have ever had. I am sad I have to drive an hour to get it. Top notch beer. Seek it and enjoy it.

10-25-2005 00:44:03 | More by kmpitz2
orfeu

New Mexico

4.22/5  rDev +9.9%

This one is amber-orange in color with a moderate head that quickly dissipates. Impressive lacing all up and down the glass as I drain its contents. Aroma is, of course, hoppy, with an earthy pine undertone but the main smell is of peaches and citrus fruits. It's a very tasty brew, mainly fruity hops and pine-scented burps. Decent mouthfeel, with a peppery carbonation. Amazingly drinkable, as this stuff goes down like water. Not to imply that it's thin or watery. A great beer, and I feel lucky that it's so readily available in my neck of the woods. Quality beer, strong recommendation.

10-17-2005 17:27:27 | More by orfeu
bigbubba

3.9/5  rDev +1.6%

This beer is orange with little carbonation and a head that died right away. The smell is nice but faint. There is a sweet hoppy aroma. The taste is very nice, it starts out very smooth then it dries out and the hops stand out. Not too bitter. The mouthfeel is a little thin for a beer like this. Drinkability is good. This is the first Southern Tier beer I've seen in Ohio, I'm glad to see that it is pretty good.

10-14-2005 22:58:34 | More by bigbubba
budsboy

4.47/5  rDev +16.4%

Clear, orange-amber with a low but thick sticky head.

Very hoppy aroma -- piney and citrucy and oily. A sugary sweetness is in there, gingerbread-like.

Bitter hops from the start, piney, woody and citrusy taste. Bitterness lasts. Malts are nearly overpowered, but they hang in there and hints of roastiness come through. Very much a hop-lovers beer.

Oily mouthfeel, full and thickening. Bigger than I expected from the looks of it.

Very good. Right up there with the best. On the hoppier side of the IPA scale. I'd compare this to Ruination in its flavor and bitterness, may a little brother. Excellent. Try some.

10-05-2005 23:51:27 | More by budsboy
MarineHokie

Connecticut

4.25/5  rDev +10.7%

12 oz bottle

A- Clear Orange-yellow medium white head, good retention, nice lacing.

S- Hoppy & fresh. Slight fruit character sweet citrus notes.

T- Hops upfront. All flavor, no bitter. Malty smoothness in the middle, then another almost gingerlike hop note on the finish.

M- Medium bodied, crisp clean finish.

D- Dangerously easy drinking IPA.

09-17-2005 14:56:00 | More by MarineHokie
rousee

4.75/5  rDev +23.7%

This is a fabulous IPA. Pours honey-amber with a beautiful 2 finger head. The retention is exceptional and it has excellent continual carbonation. Leaves some frothy --thick bubbled lace too. Smell is the only characterististic that it is needing more. It is a tad on the musty side but does have some maltiness and good hop punch too. Taste is smooth as can be --what a well balanced IPA. Upfront, it has the maltiness of a IIPA but it is mild enough to not finish that way. I love this beer. I wish I had bought more of it.

09-07-2005 23:04:15 | More by rousee
BigPapaLager

Connecticut

4.45/5  rDev +15.9%

Boy am I glad Southern Tier is here in the Nutmeg state. This is already one of my favorite beers. It pours a tallwhite head, from the head comes an inviting hoppiness that gets me ready for whats to come. This is now the most crisp clean hoppy IPA in my area, gonna have to try Smutty and ST side by side to find the winner.

09-03-2005 03:54:10 | More by BigPapaLager
LucaBrasi

4.22/5  rDev +9.9%

Wow lets begin there. This beer appears a reddish golden color with a nice size head that laces the glass. The smell is hoppy, orange, and of spices. The taste can be described the same way but strong and smooth with a crisp mouthfeel. This is a very drinkable brew. This is another quality product form the people of southern tier.

09-01-2005 03:14:22 | More by LucaBrasi
RonfromJersey

4.08/5  rDev +6.3%

An exceedingly rich looking red orange body, not crystal but not opaque, topped by a relatively level finger-and-a-pimky of eggshell froth, which decays rapidly but laces excellently.

Nice, fresh, but not over powering aroma of pine and citrus.

Enough solid malt in the start to build an Octobetfest on. Rich, but not overly sweet, even before the hops arrive. Piney hops arive to contain and capture the malt, but they don't beat it into submission. A fresh light hop twang breezes through the aftertaste.
Really, a well balanced IPA.

Mouthfeel seems a hair too much toward light from medium in spots, but its not really a flaw. This is a fairly easy drinking example of an IPA.

Solid, well made, and not over hopped "just because". An enjoyable beer from a brewery that I want to see more from.

07-31-2005 18:45:47 | More by RonfromJersey
AlexJ

4.22/5  rDev +9.9%

Bright copper amber pour with billowy off-white head that retains well and coats my pint glass in lace.

Nose is a perfect marriage of amber, honey, and light caramel malt notes supported by exotic citrus, fruit, and floral hops. Smells yummy.

Flavor starts off with chewy malt and biscuits, honey, fruits, and very citrussy and floral hops in the rear. Very balanced and sessionable. As it warms, more lemon peel and grapefruit notes are apparent.

Body is medium, amply carbonated, and has a slick, thirst quenching mouthfeel. dangerously drinkable.

Thanks to dmeadows for the trade!

07-21-2005 18:54:37 | More by AlexJ
tgbljb

4.38/5  rDev +14.1%

purchased as part of mixed twelve pack.
Poured a deep amber-copper color with moderate white head. Smell is nice and hoppy. Taste is hoppy with just the right mix of dryness and bitterness. A fantastic dry finish that was truly enjoyable. an axcellent, first-class beer.

07-12-2005 01:25:27 | More by tgbljb
Naes

4.03/5  rDev +4.9%

The appearance is of copper with a small white head that disappears quickly.

Smell is super citrusy and hopy.

Tastes like a grapefruit IPA. Not overdone though. Hops are also very present

Mouth feel is light, but a tad over carbonated.

This is a nice and refreshing brew, I will definitely try another some time.

07-08-2005 01:28:34 | More by Naes
sacfly

Maryland

4.13/5  rDev +7.6%

Appeared first in a flight glass, and then later in a pint glass. Orange in appearance with a white head. Smell is very sweet and citrus. Taste is reminiscent of Lemonheads candy. Blew me away. What hops or flavorings do they use to get such a strong sweet lemon flavor? I was intrigued enough to select this out of a flight of drafts, and was equally impressed with the pint (which was the special at the Willimantic Main Street Café that evening). I can’t see drinking this religiously, as the Lemonhead candy like flavor could get annoying, but a different IPA form the normal fare.

06-30-2005 22:15:32 | More by sacfly
beermanbrian

3.65/5  rDev -4.9%

Clear amber color with thin off white head that dissipates quickly. Very minimal carbonation. Nice lacing. Citrus hops dominates the smell. Citrus and pine are the taste that stick out. Light body that taste a little thin. A good beer but there are so many better IPA's out there. I would say it's worth a try but wouldn't seek it out.

06-25-2005 01:53:27 | More by beermanbrian
kpantz

4.33/5  rDev +12.8%

Executive Summary: Holy Hops, Batman! In the nose and on the tongue, the hops are dominant, but in a good way, of course. A great IPA. If you're looking for something against which to judge other IPAs for the "in your face" element, this might be it.

Appearance: Amber is a bit deeper than other IPAs, but I like it. Great lacing...head doesn't last too long, though.

Smell: Holy crap. Hops anyone? Get a whiff of this while the head is still present...it'll knock your block off. Fantastic flowery, citrus aroma.

Taste: Exactly what the aroma portended. Citrusy sweetness quickly leaves in favor of hops, hops, hops. Not bitter, though...just hoppy. Fantastic!

Mouthfeel: Given my initial whiff, I expected this to be a bit syrupy, a la Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA, but that's just not the case here. Light, but not watery. Good, smooth finish.

Drinkability: This would make a great session IPA. It's got enough character to kick you in the head, but it won't do it after a bottle and a half. Enjoyable aroma and flavor keep you going back to the glass.

06-25-2005 00:13:16 | More by kpantz
twelvsies

Maine

4.2/5  rDev +9.4%

I was expecting something fairly typical here but what I got was a really killer IPA. Typical in appearance, perhaps, with an amber color a poofy white head, nice lacing. Smell and taste are super hoppy, yet not overdone. For the most part, the hop flavor is on the piney bitter side, with a lot of citrus and grapefruit taste. Very intensely flavorful, but well balanced at the same time. Great session beer.

05-30-2005 18:18:48 | More by twelvsies
jasonpeckins32

4.75/5  rDev +23.7%

Wow! An incredible beer here. This has been one of my favorites for a long time. Its hard to find a brew better than this.

Pours a beautiful bronze shade, a little head, but that leaves quickly. The scents are amazing. Strong of hops, and fused with a sweet flurry of oranges, peaches, and citrus fruits. Fruit basket galore. I also seem to notice some slight malt presence in the nose as well.

The taste is very strong of hops. Very select hops. There is a killer citrus bite in the flavor as well. You'd almost think there was half a grapefruit soaking in the bottom of the bottle. Extremely delicious.

The mouthfeel is medium-bodied. Very smooth, this one goes down great. The nice taste probably helps out with that also. It has about the perfect amount of carbonation. Extremely drinkable. I could tip these back all day long. About as close to paradise as I've been in a while.

05-24-2005 12:54:36 | More by jasonpeckins32
OldSock

District of Columbia

3.8/5  rDev -1%

Appearance – Cheerful clear copper/orange colored brew. Covering the beer is a pleasant white head that falls slowly to a wispy covering then to nothing. Good sticky lacing covers much of my pint glass.

Smell – Great floral hop aroma, and pretty much nothing else. Pine, grapefruit, probably more it’s a shame I have a little cold. This is what an IPA should smell like.

Taste – Rock-solid spicy hop presence without being overly bitter, but it certainly has an adequate amount of bitterness. There is some malt hidden in there, but it is completely overpowered by the hops which come through strong and fresh. It certainly meets the basic requirements for an IPA, but I feel like I’ve had this before, not too complex just strong hops and little to no malt. Good, but nothing above the call of duty.

Mouthfeel – The beer is slick on the tongue with strong carbonation. The body is a little lacking, medium-light.

Drinkability – Good IPA, better than a lot out there, but there is nothing that makes Southern Tier IPA stand out from the large crowd of good American IPA’s. It is one of the freshest tasting IPA’s I have had recently, if you like IPA’s pick some up and give it a shot, but its not worth searching out, or getting if you are not a big IPA fan. I’ll give it another shot after my cold subsides to see if I am missing anything.

05-22-2005 04:43:14 | More by OldSock
krberg

Oregon

3.95/5  rDev +2.9%

This is my usual session beer at the Lionheart. This is the first time I've had it in a bottle.

Big white head atop an orange body. I am amazed at how bright this beer is. Must be filtered.

Great fresh hops! Huge and floral with a sweet malty smell in the background.

Perfect balance, but it lacks the bitterness and fresh hop character of the draft offering. This bottle comes from a mixed pack that just appeared at my LBS, so I doubt freshness is an issue. Must be something in the packaging. Still a very nice beer, but different.

Thick and full mouthfeel. Its how an IPA should be.

I have drunk this beer all day in the past. Perfect session beer.

On draft this is my favorite IPA bar none. Its nice in the bottle, but seek it out on tap.

05-16-2005 19:28:30 | More by krberg
kbnooshay

4.35/5  rDev +13.3%

Wow. I need to take a ride downstate to check out this place. AMAZINGGGG.
Awesome Orange hoppy aroma that says drink meee. Pretty gorgeous also. A nice creamy tan head with some great spotted lacing. This tastes amazing. You pick up some orange flavor but mostly is the insane hops. But compared to other IPAs such as Syracuse ImPAled ale this is so drinkable. I mean there is an assload of hops but it is sweet enough that it goes down so easily. Still a heart attack for the taste buds but so pleasureable. The mouthfeel is great. Smooth sticky tingly. Moderate. I could down a lot of these and it would be quite a pleasure. Such a great experience

Plus it will help you get tanked.

One of my favorite beers of all time.

05-11-2005 02:27:08 | More by kbnooshay
mentor

Colorado

4.53/5  rDev +18%

Thanks to francisweizen for this one. Poured a hlaf-finger cream-tan head over a light rust liquid. Somewhat cloudy, but I accidentally poured a little bit of sediment into my glass. Smelled of oranges, tangarine, and cinnamon. Really rich sweet orange smell. No alcohol or noticable fruity esters. Tasted, wow. This is a different IPA. Oranges as the flavor hop, rather than the usual overpowering grapefruit. Starts sweet with a hint of acrid carbonation on the front of the tongue, but this settles into an apricot with orange and tangarine hoppy jumping in. The end is pithy grapefruit bitter poking fun at the settling sweet. Carbonation is present throughout, but it never jumps to an extreme. The lighter fruits from the malt and nice carbonation balacne well with the rest of the beer. Just the right amount of hop cohumulone, too. Md mouthfeel with perfect carbonation. This is a really delightful beer. Gentle, tasty...hell yah!

05-02-2005 02:24:06 | More by mentor
ProudBeerSnob

4.47/5  rDev +16.4%

I am fairly new to the Southern Tier line of products, which is strange because they really are a good brew for a good price....Especially when I pick up a six at the supermarket. (Just can't make to Beers of the World as much as I used to)
Anyway, about the IPA:
Excellent color (a little on the red side ?!?!?) good head.
Excellent hops aroma, and taste to match.Very drinkable. I have had better IPAs, but this one is still very good.
As mentioned above, very good for the price. $6.49 for a sixer at Wegman's which is the same price as Long Trail (Which I think is not the beer it once was. Either that or my taste buds have evolved.)

04-10-2005 00:31:00 | More by ProudBeerSnob
BuckeyeNation

Iowa

4.6/5  rDev +19.8%

Rustic orange suffused with softly glowing amber. A thing of beauty, the head is pearlescent ivory in color, thickly creamy in consistency and looks to be an extraordinary lacer. The upper surface is pitted, lumpy, bumpy, softly undulating and rocky, all at the same time. Fine lace hugs the glass lower down and peppers it higher up.

The nose is outstanding. Leave it to Southern Tier to give me a nose that grabs my nose, so to speak, and doesn't let go. Not only is it cranium-filling in power, but it's as hoppy as all get out. Sweet orange, white grapefruit and ripe melon lead the way.

Hop, more hops and still more hops. I half expect to see a few hop cones floating in the glass. Southern Tier IPA is a wonderful beer, especially for the hopheads among us. The brewers are too talented to simply dump several boxcars worth of hops into the kettle however. They've worked their usual magic and have crafted a superb, hoppy ale.

Even though pale malt is noticed on the palate, it's swamped almost beyond recognition by a beautiful barrage of hops. A huge burst of white grapefruit pith and spruce sap swamps the taste buds and leaves them begging for more. Palate fatigue would be a definite possibility after a few of these, but I'll never find out since I only have the one. Dammit!

This beer is sweeter than many versions, which effectively takes the edge off of what would otherwise be a substantial bitter storm. I'm not sure that I have an ideal sweet:bitter ratio when it comes to IPAs, but this one is pretty close to perfect. The mouthfeel is full for the style with a velvety smoothness that is out this world.

There's something about Southern Tier beer that I just love. It's as if the brewers invited me to the brewery, gave me hundreds of samples (don't I wish) and tweaked their recipes to fit my exact preferences for each and every style. I had no doubt that the IPA (my favorite style) from these guys (one of my favorite breweries) would knock my socks off and leave powder burns on my feet. A huge thank you to HappyHourHero for the nectar.

04-07-2005 19:23:02 | More by BuckeyeNation