Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Compass - Southern Tier Brewing Company

Southern Tier Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  9.00% ABV

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: Knapp85 on 05-27-2013

I love southern tier. I've loved every beer I've tried, until this one. It had a dish soap taste to me. I couldn't even finish it. Although I tried,I just couldn't get past that. I think I even cried when I poured it out. It was the third beer I have poured out. I just couldn't do it. To me, it doesn't reflect on southern tier. I still believe they are one of the best around. I will continue to buy anything they release. I hope to get to the brewery soon. For now, I have a pumpking on ice! Got to go.

2.68/5  rDev -31.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

This beer did not represent what I have come to expect from Southern Tier.

Appearance - Very light yellow in color, dare I say it, like a Budweiser, medium head, little to no lacing.

Smell - Fruity, especially citrus, with flowery undertones.

Taste - Started of strong and pleasing, like an APA should be, but moved to an overpowering citrus flavor, which tasted unnatural. The finish and aftertaste was that of roses or a similar flower.

Mouth- It's hard to get a grasp here, because it was just tapped at a newer restaurant, and it felt over carbonated. I wouldn't lay the blame on Southern Tier until I at least try it out of a bottle.

Overall, I can't give this an okay rating, because I really wouldn't want to drink it again. It had more of a pilsner or kolsch feel and taste to me, which aren't my favorite styles.

22oz bottle into a tulip. From yesterday's notes.

A: Pours a hazy golden color with tons of sediment. The one finger white shaded head retains very nicely and leaves behind some lacing on the glass. The hazy look isn't the most aesthetically impressive, but usually yields an enjoyable brew elsewhere.

S: Aromatically, it's mostly citrusy hops combined with an herbal component. Yeast seems to come through with a phenolic note, unfortunately. Otherwise, the nose is decent enough.

T: First thing that hits the tongue is some citrusy hops. This builds up to a yeasty, bready finish with an herbal aftertaste. Some aspects work, some aspects don't.

M: The body has a light feel (not to be confused with an insubstantial one), but isn't quite as crisp as some other unfiltered ales. Astringency is fairly heavy and distracting - probably my least favorite feature. Still, for a 9% pale, it's both drinkable and devoid of booziness.

O: A textbook average brew that's only a couple of tweaks away from being really good. I enjoyed it for what it was, but wouldn't buy it again.

3.12/5  rDev -20.4%

Pours a slightly hazy, dark banana yellow color with a one finger, frothy white head that slowly settles into a lasting ring.  Pretty good retention with streaks of lace left behind.

Earthy, slightly floral aroma with grassy and piney hops, pale malt, flower petal and bready yeast.  Some wheat beer character with bread, banana and citrus peel.  Subtle potpourri presence blended into a hoppy wheat beer-like aroma.

Medium body with tight carbonation and crisp hop bitterness along with rose water and a pale malt backbone.  Hints of biscuit and cracker along with malted wheat, banana bread and subtle peppery spice.  Basically a decently hopped light wheat beer with strong flower petal bitterness.  Easy to drink with a well masked ABV but not terribly interesting.   The flower presnce is too strong for my liking, overpowering the hops and wheat beer elements.  Also the malt profile could have been a bit more prominent.

3.36/5  rDev -14.3%

No freshness dating.

A= Pours a nice hazy yellow color with a thin finger of head on top of it that is a nice white color and some spotty lacing on the side of the glass.

S= The smell is filled with dirty hop aromas. Grassy and a little floral.

T= The taste is much more crisp and clean than the nose lead me on to. Lots of bright citrus notes and a little poopy wheat flavor. Bright tasting beer.

M= Super carbonated and sparkly.

O= This isn't a bad beer by any means. It's not outstanding either. Worth checking out but mostly just a hoppy APA with high carbonation.

3.38/5  rDev -13.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Big pop and burst of carbonation upon popping the top off the bottle. Slightly opaque straw-yellow with an eggshell colored thick two-inch high head of meringue that lingers long. Seems overcarbonated perhaps? Aroma of lemon and sweet malt, some citrus.

Bready flavor upfront, some honey and lemon zest, fruity notes perhaps imparted by the hibiscus, orange rind hops, slight peppery bite and piney finish that lingers.

Interesting mix of flavors. Full mouthfeel, very creamy and viscous, not what I expected from a sparkling ale, whatever that is.

3.39/5  rDev -13.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: It pours a rich gold color with a bright white, foamy head. The label describes it as a sparkling ale but I do not see any additional carbonation or Champagne like qualities.

Smell: bright grapefruit hop notes, some pine, floral, and earthy.

Taste: I am able to distinguish the hop-like bitterness of the rose hips, which complements the grapefruit in the hops. The malt balances out nicely.

3.42/5  rDev -12.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Poured from a small growler, the color was a pale yellow with a thin white head on top. The retention was minimal and the lacing was very light as well. Some nice clarity on this beer along with some carbonation bubbles rising to the top. The smell of the beer is pretty standard, the rose hips don't really shine too bright in my opinion. There is some earthy malt on the nose and not a whole lot of hops really. The taste of the beer reminded me a lot of a pilsner, it was light and fairly refreshing. Mostly malt was all I was really getting from this brew. The mouthfeel was light bodied, gently carbonated and very easy to drink. Overall I was hoping for something a little more... not sure if what way but I hoped for something a little more impressive here.

3.47/5  rDev -11.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from bomber into a Cigar City pint glass.

A: Hazy light gold, with a two-finger white fluffy with good retention. Fairly low visible carbonation.

S: Citrus fruits, flowery and perfumey notes, grassy hops, some cracker malts, and a touch of resin.

T: Citrus (orange and tangelo) hop flavor, citrus pith, perfumey and flowery (I wonder if this last one could be the power of suggestion?). Bitterness level is fairly moderated, and relatively balanced with the light cracker malts. Hop bitterness and residual cracker malt sweetness in the hang.

M: Light body, good carbonation sensation, alcohol presence seems more noticeable that I expected.

O: Not my favorite at all. It's interesting, but it doesn't seem hoppy enough for the style. I find the flowery aspects a little weird as well. I won't be looking for another bottle.

3.49/5  rDev -11%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a couple fingers of bleached white foam, very whipped up and airy, no density at all albeit retention level is good, even dissolve. Any lacing slides off the glass as if greased. The liquid is the color of goldenrod, while faint and transparent it has a certain luminescence to it too, there’s a faintly visible particulate floating about, the bubbles are active but widely dispersed, no beads. Salt, grains and grasses frame the core of lemon to lesser white grapefruit citrus in the nose, built for focused penetration, a slice more than a punch, its herbaceousness makes it a bit tough to get at the apricot, apple fruit scents and naked dough notes. It’s close to full-bodied, the carbonation somehow manages to be thick and clingy, helps it press into all your mouth pores. Lots of lemon and then some orange and lime mixed in, all of it sour and bracing. The greenness and pepper and salt stuff too keeps you puckering. More like pretzel dough or rye here than sweeter breads. Something like the bowl of seeds and spices by the door of an Indian restaurant, the kind you are supposed to slowly chew on. Lots of dry extract as it finishes. Peach, apricot, green apple, pear, all with more crackle and snap than juicy wetness. Not the easiest to drink.

3.5/5  rDev -10.7%

Poured into a New Belgium goblet. Base of bottle says DOB 04/01/14.

A- Pours a medium amber color with a 1/2 inch off-white head that retains a bit before becoming a paper-thin ring around the edge of the glass and a small center patch of sheer surface foam. Minimal lacing.

S- Fruity hop aroma that has a considerable alcohol fume.

T- Moderate hop bitterness and there's that booze again, sinking its teeth in and not letting the rest of the elements of the beer shine through. Slightly sweet. Needs more malt and/or hop presence to counter the alcohol taste.

M- I can see why the label says "sparkling ale" since the carbonation is pretty heavy on this. It's almost too heavy considering the overbearing alcohol presence. Almost like drinking champagne. Lightish body.

O- This beer is overly strong in all the wrong places, leading to a lack of complexity. Is it just me, or is ST becoming more and more hit-or-miss? Kinda sad since they used to be one of the breweries I would describe as not making a single bad beer.

3.51/5  rDev -10.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Poured this 22 oz. bottle into a Sam Adams glass. No date. The body was a pale golden color with a bright white head. There was floating yeast in the drink.

The smell was flowery, freshly herbal. Lightly lemony.

The taste was herbal, an organic leafiness that I love. A gentle crackery maltiness was followed by a nice, long grassy and semi-dry finish.

The mouthfeel had a mildly pepper, prickly carbonation yet it was smooth going down. I enjooyed this one more that I expected.

3.54/5  rDev -9.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

BOTTLE: 22 oz brown glass bottle with a busy label and a branded black pry-off pressure cap acquired at my local H-E-B grocery and served cold into a snifter (as no tulip was on hand) at low altitude in Austin, TX.

Reviewed live as an"imperial sparkling ale" - whatever that means.

9.0% ABV. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

No bubble show forms as it's poured.

HEAD: 2 fingers in width. White colour. Fairly frothy. Decent thickness and creaminess. Has a decent complexion and consistency. Leaves no lacing on the sides of the glass as it recedes.

Retention: ~3 minutes.

BODY: Quasitransparent translucent dark orange-copper. Murky. Not real vibrant. No yeast particulate or hop sediment is visible within.

Looks above average, but not unique or special. Closest to a pale ale or IPA in terms of appearance.

AROMA: Pale malts. Wheat. Floral hops. Stale citrus fruit. I do find the rose hips when I search for them; I only know the aroma from when I used to chew vitamin c tablets with added rose hips; it's a subtle note but an interesting one. Muted lychee skin. A kiss of doughy starchy malt. Light hints of honey and a bit of crackery malt.

It's a bit sweeter than anticipated; I expected the hops to dominate but they seem pretty neatly balanced. A pleasant albeit reticent aroma of light intensity.

No yeast character, overt alcohol, or off-notes are detectable. If you told me this was a 5% pale ale in a blind tasting, I'd believe you. Given that they describe this as an imperial sparkling ale, I anticipated a heavy crystal malt presence, but none emerges.

The presence of crackery and doughy character is odd given the aroma isn't very dry. Maybe that indicates good integration of those notes?

TASTE: Very pleasant and mellow. The malt base is unintrusive, providing a clean neutral foundation upon which the hop notes can shine. The malts I notice are (in order of emphasis) pale malts, wheat, honey malt, and a bit of crackery malt. Hopwise, I notice floral hop character the most, backed by vague citrus (orange peel I guess), a kiss of papaya, and subtle rose hips (again, I'm judging by my familiarity with vitamin c tablets).

Other reviewers are noting an herbal hop character - I find none. The faint doughiness noticed in the aroma is extremely subtle and buried here, but it's a blip on the finish, and does add a little more nuance to the beer.

What shocks and impresses me is the complete absence of any noticeable alcohol; this drinks like a 5% pale ale, and is expertly balanced, with no naked hop bitterness. The malts are well suited to the hops.

I find no crystal malt; I definitely expected some given the purported style.

Overall, I'm really pleasantly surprised with the quality here. This is a complex, subtly executed brew which boasts impressive depth of flavour without feeling unnecessarily complicated or busy. Great flavour amplitude; the constituent notes blend together seamlessly to form a very cohesive - almost gestalt - whole. As a result, it's hard to deconstruct the beer - which while taxing for a reviewer, is a good thing for the discerning drinker.

TEXTURE: Crisp, slightly overcarbonated, smooth, wet, refreshing, and quenching. I'm taken aback by the absence of any noticeable alcohol heat or booziness. In spite of the subtle crackery malts and doughy yeast notes, it's not really dry at all- except maybe a biteen on the open, which has the effect of parching the palate briefly and then instantly refreshing it, which teases the drinker into consuming more. Aptly medium-bodied, and of appropriate thickness to support the flavour profile without coming off overbearing or oppressive.

Overall, this beer boasts a great presence on the palate and this texture complements the taste quite well, with evidence of custom-tailoring.

Not oily, gushed, astringent, harsh, scratchy, or rough.

OVERALL: Southern Tier can label their beers any style they want so long as they keep making them this good, as far as I'm concerned. This was a pleasant surprise and surpassed my expectations. I'd definitely recommend this to friends. It's dangerously drinkable for its relatively high ABV, and offers plenty of flavour. This will impress the discerning drinker. One of the better brews I've had from Southern Tier in recent memory. I'll have to seek out more of their work.

Low B

3.55/5  rDev -9.4%

650 ml bottle purchased from LCBO for $9.20 CDN. Served cold into a pint glass. A 9.0% ABV American pale ale. Sounds good to me.

Appearance - moderately cloudy rich golden color topped by over a finger of white head that rests on top for a good long while. Tons of effervescent bubbles are present and some trace sticky lacing stays behind.

Smell - mild yet inviting with a good dose of citrusy hops and some floral notes counterbalanced by a heavy dose of bready malts. Not the most aromatic, but really nice combination of the two.

Taste - mildly bitter with some earthy floral flavor and a touch of sweetness here and there. Can actually taste what I think rose would taste like if I were to go chew on a flower. The malty flavours are fairly subdued. Some alcohol flavor breaks through and leaves a sharp taste on the tongue. It's not too off putting, but in my opinion the beer would be better if it was not there. Boozy harshness is lessened as the beer warms.

Mouthfeel - heavier than average body as to be expected for such a big pale ale and slightly sticky in the mouth. The high level of carbonation cuts through this to a certain extent to prevent the taste and feel from being cloying.

Overall - slightly disappointing, especially for the price. It's a well crafted APA, that does a fairly good job at hiding its enormous presence, but to me this is a beer that would be better served by being lower ABV and hiding the alcohol a little better and making the body a bit lighter. Would certainly drink if offered, but a bit to expensive for my tastes especially given that I'd enjoy others in the style even more.

3.57/5  rDev -8.9%

Live review. Poured from the 22 oz. bomber that my brother Pete brought directly back from the brewery earlier this week. Thanks Pete! "DOB 05/06/13" stamped near the base of the bottle. Poured into a clean, clear pint glass.

A Generous but brief meringue like head that lasted about 30 seconds over a Budweiser looking pale yellow translucent body with lots of carbonation rising up from the depths. The look, while true to the style, is pretty basic. 3.0

S Nice citrus hops smell that you certainly do not get from the aforementioned Budweiser. Repeated sniffs reveal a rather distant sweetness about it too. The hops are in front for sure. 3.5

T Citrus hops follow right from the smell into the taste and more prevalent in the taste is that nice sweetness that I picked up in the smell. NIce, tasty Pale Ale with a "hop forward" disposition. 3.5

M Appropriately on the thin side but those hops and nice sweetness turn up the mouthfeel dial above your average APA, say a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. I rather like the feel of this APA. 4.0

D/O Drinkability suffers since it is 9.0% (!) ABV. Overall this is a good...nah...very good APA but probably not my favorite.

3.59/5  rDev -8.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

an imperial pale ale of sorts, in tap at the screamin eagle in inlet, ny. the pour is bright yellow and just about perfectly clear, with a huge white foam head that only relaxes a little. the appearance is great. the nose is too, well hoppy with a mix of bitterness and citrus, not super bright, but not an oily bitter bomb either. very light malt base in smell and taste allows the big hops to come through. this isn't as interesting hop wise as unearthly or even the regular ipa, but it is quite refreshing for its size. lots of alcohol comes through the mouthfeel, hot on the way down, and its exacerbated by vibrant carbonation and not much malt body or sweetness to mellow things out. not a beer I need more than a pint of, but it gives me a nice buzz and is a good addition to the southern tier lineup overall, just a bit understated compared to some of their rock stars.

3.62/5  rDev -7.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

A- huge expansive white head on this one with bubbles of varying size. It's loud and active and recedes at a moderate pace overtop a handsome looking hazed over lemon yellow colored brew as some thick clumps of lace adhere to the glass.

S- bright zesty hop aroma with a distinct floral character, a combination of both the hops and the rose hips. On the hop side, there's grapefruit, lemon and a hint of fuel or solvent and pitch (not in an offensive way). Flowery sweet rose water and chlorophyl. Delicate pilsner malts lend crackery base notes along with white bread.

T- I can't really tell the difference between the hop bitterness and the Ross hip bitterness as stated on the label. I suppose the rose hips would taste a bit greener, but the lemony grapefruity floral nature of all this dry hopped goodness makes it hard to discern. Wheat and pale malts contain a certain sweetness that, paired with the bitterness, nicely disguises the 9%abv. The finish is a combination of dried leaves and peppery spice with lingering pink flower petals and bitter citrus.

MF- the term "sparkling" nails it. Highly effervescent and briskly dry with a puckering bitterness that lingers in the throat.

D- this one seems like a weird hybrid of styles. I guess APA fits. Hell, even IPA would fit. It's could be an American Saison with low yeast character. The wheat confuses me. The high abv has me thinkin weird shit. It's good in small doses, and I keep picturing it in a champagne flute with some cheese. The combination of ibu's, alcohol, and strangely light yet proteined body with high effervescence confuses the senses. My compass is going haywire and I can't find Polaris. I don't know how to define this beer to myself let alone to others. It's good and quality made, but I don't think I'll be going back for another bottle.

3.64/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A - Very light, very hazy. Color is a light golden/yellow. Head is nice and airy, leaves good lacing and retains well.

S - Hops are forward, smells quite sweet and fruity. A touch of citrus - more orange than grapefruit.

T - This is only the second beer I've had that is brewed with rose hips, and there is a very distinct sweetness that I can tell is characteristic of rose hips. Other than that, hops are abound, a lot of orange and orange pith coming through. I can notice the 9% ABV on the finish

M - Pretty viscous for looking like so innocent. But as I learned from my first wife, looks often deceive us.

O - Not crazy about this one, although I would like to see more brewers experimenting with rose hips in the future, I think they add a very unique aspect to the flavor/mouthfeel profile.

3.65/5  rDev -6.9%

A - Pours a bright, clear, gold color with a one fingered dense, soapy looking head.

S - Nose is delicate and light with citrus, rose, lemon earthiness, and grass.

T - Rose hips are evident from start to end with a delicate earthy, citrus finish.

M - Light medium body with little to no carbonation.

O - I LOVE Southern Tier but this one didn't do it for me. For a "sparkling ale", the sparkly was totally non-existent and a big "meh". HOWEVER, for a 9% beer the ABV is COMPLETELY hidden which makes this beer dangerously drinkable. Beware.

3.66/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.5

Poured from bottle into a pint glass

Appearance – Pours a heavily hazed golden orange color. Upon pouring there was a thick two finger white head. Even thought the brew was hazy one could still see tons of little carbonation bubbles streaming up through the brew. The big head faded slowly over time leaving very little lace on the sides of the glass.

Smell- The aroma is big of a citrus hop (lemon and grapefruit) smell mixed with aromas of a floral hop as well. Along with these hoppy smells are other aromas of maltiness and rose water mixed with a little bit of grass.

Taste – The taste starts out with a malty and bready taste with a strong showing of lemon mixed within. Flavors of yeast and a floral taste soon come to the tongue with a lighter hop of grapefruit joining in. At first the grapefruit is lighter, but it grows stronger as the taste advances while all the while the malty flavors begin to loss strength. In the end a light pine and grassy hop flavor join the now rather strong grapefruit hop to in the end create a malty and lightly hopped flavor to linger on the tongue.

Mouthfeel – The body of the beer is thicker side with a carbonation that is rather low for a champagne yeast beer. The tiny carbonation bubbles that are there are nice, but there are just too few with a body that is too thick for the style.

Overall – An alright brew, but nothing too extraordinary. The taste was rather nice, although eh body was a bit off for me.

3.68/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Bomber bottle from the Ottawa LCBO for $9 or so

Appearance - Gold colour with a large size white coloured head. There is an average amount of carbonation showing and there is some fair lacing. The head lasted for around 4-5 minutes before it was gone.

Smell - Hops, yeast, breads/grains, lemons, floral

Taste & Mouth - There is an above average amount of carbonation and I can taste breads/grains, hops, and floral notes. There is also some lemon zest and juice.

Overall - Definitely an interesting taste going on. A beer that scores points for being different, but not something I'd buy a whole lot of. Reminds me a bit of a lemon cough drop.

3.68/5  rDev -6.1%

A: cloudy (few bubbles) golden straw,
finger pillow head,

S: floral nose, lemon peel/grass, mild earthy malt

T: lemon peel, floral/herbal malt, semi-dry crisp
light bitter grassy hop finish

M: med/light, bubbly dry, hint of crisp mouth

O: Fascinating brew, well done ST. Always enjoy
breweries pushing my palate in new directions.
Wish I shared it with others. ABV is well hidden.

3.68/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Lightly hazed golden beer. Humble sudsy top. Fizzed down to a fluffy ring.

Tangy citrus hop notes with grapefruit, kumquat, and tangerine. Rosehips add a big floral bouquet that is hard to distinguish from natural hopping. A little too resinous for how sweet it is. Sweet booze and sweet pale malts. A whole lotta aroma.

Better that it's drier, but the rosehips are super-pushy and clash with sweet citrusy hop notes. More citrus fruits; tangerine and grapefruit, most prominently. Malts are what are drier, although the finish is hardly that dry. Alcohol is very big. Too much so. Fluffy carbonation does represent this properly as a Sparkling Ale. Body is bigger, too. Definitely an imperial ale.

We'll see if this one sticks around long. Not bad, but hard to imagine seeking it out for any reason. Doesn't leave that kind of impression.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Wonderfully bright in body with thin white head. Aroma of lemons, pears, some booze, and plastic. Tastes of lemons, pears, kiwi, floral notes, grass, bitterness comes thru with some boozy aftertaste. Medium body with medium carbonation. Spritzy and tasty. This would be a great beer if lower in alcohol but otherwise a nice treat.

3.69/5  rDev -5.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

22 oz bottle,
I poured this beer into a glass, it has a light orange color body with a foamy head. The smelll has a citrus hop aroma to it. The taste is up front citrus hops. Its like a troical whirwind of flavors. The mouthfeel is very good not dry but very smooth. Overall a damm good beer.

Compass from Southern Tier Brewing Company