2XRye - Southern Tier Brewing Company

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: BB1313 on 08-28-2013

Ratings: 590 | Reviews: 99
2.83/5  rDev -26.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Almost redish in color. Half finger off white head. Smell is slight hop and all malt not sour id say but robust malt. Medium to low carbonation. Hoppy in the back so slightly and huge biting malt. Not hop bitter, but a bitter malt I assume is the rye. Like I said robust huge malt flavor but clean. My first rye and will try others.

Dislike.

3.08/5  rDev -19.6%

12oz bottle poured into a pint glas.

Pours a nice copper color, very little head, slightly hoppy odor. Taste is malty with a surprising amount of hops. First experience with a double rye, wasn't really what I expected. Didn't have as much rye flavor as I was looking for. Don't know if this is common for this variety of beer or not.

3.17/5  rDev -17.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

12oz bottle into a pint glass.

Pours a clear, deep copper with really no head to speak of; just a bit of fizz on the surface. Some splotchy lacing but it is not impressive.

Aroma definitely has that unique rye spice along with some earthy, piny undertones. A few floral notes in there as well.

More earthy rye in the taste but is quite muted. Pine and dark rye brea along with some Earth and tree bark. Bitterness is on the high side and it has some characteristics in common with an IPA. The alcohol is very well hidden and I would have never guessed this is over 8%. Fairly thin mouthfeel with a fairly crisp finish.

Overall, an ok beer but it is lacking quite a bit in terms of flavor and aroma. Not really worth going out of your way for.

3.33/5  rDev -13.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Appearance: 1 inch head, high carbonation, gold in color, clear

Smell: spicy hops, earth, and lumber

Taste: spicy rye hops, big citrus hops, a bit of rye seed at the end

Mouthfeel: bitter but not overly so, medium-light body, medium-high carbonation

Overall: Lots of spicy rye hops but I would have loved more rye bread taste. This tastes like a slightly above average imperial ipa with lots of citrus. Not bad, but nothing that distinguishes it from the pack of other hoppy rye beers.

3.35/5  rDev -12.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Slightly opaque orangey apricot colored with an oatmeal colored head that settles slowly. Aroma of bready malt, ripe fruit, piney hops, orange rind, dark bread, and alcohol. A bit of alcoholic solvent vapors which detract. Full mouthfeel, a bit tingly. Decent beer overall, not my fave from ST.

3.38/5  rDev -11.7%

Beer pours a dark copper color. With mild sediment. Great lacing, smell i get malts, hops, bread. I do detect alcohol one the taste. Over all it's a good beer for 8.1% abv. If you like ryes you will most likely like this one.

3.38/5  rDev -11.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

It is just me, or are ryes suddenly proliferating like unprotected rabbits? I mean, fine by me, but for a while it was hard to find one, & now they're coming outta the woodwork. 12 oz. single that I need to consume, to see if I need to buy more.

Pour is a light, creamy, very clear orange with accelerating carbonation. I need spectacles to find the nose. Faint citrus, spare earthiness, not much going on here. Hopefully saving itself for the taste...

2X Rye punches well above its tepid aroma. The rye leans earthy vs. spicy, & I prefer the latter; this one tastes like a hand full of clean Kansas loam. Hopping arrives timidly after the rye, & lends a mild bitterness & a little pine. Breadish & grainy. Goes down easy enough, though.

After having a couple world-class ryes in the past few weeks, this brew just doesn't stand up. Pretty good, just not my speed.

3.4/5  rDev -11.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

S: Grainy, slight caraway, grassy, some hop aromatics, some perceived sweetness. Little bit of a pear note.

L: Fairly clear amber orange, off-white head that dissipates.

T: Sweet, rye bread like malt with an undercurrent of stone fruit like hops. Very clean malt sweetness. Medium clean bitterness, quite smooth. Touch of alcohol bite. Finishes semi-sweet with lingering hops but fairly clean.

M: Medium full body, medium carbonation. Alcohol slightly noticeable.

Ok beer, love the rye component, but the hops were severely lacking for a DIPA.

3.5/5  rDev -8.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Chalice pour: Clear amber, low head and nice lacing.
Rye with some dank citrus on the nose. Bready malts punch through it, along with a bit of alcohol.
With the taste, the rye gives way to citrus hops, which then gives way to bitter earth, and a grainy bite of alcohol. Flavors of this style don't develop where I expected they would. The rye is there, and this ends up having a nice rye-led cereal grain aspect to the flavor, but it still ends up muddled with an odd spice, which translates as detectable alcohol, somehow.
Mouthfeel is medium thin, well carbonated though. Some syrup. Dry.
Overall, a mild disappointment. Rye brews have grown on me lately, but this example doesn't quite meet the standard numerous others have. Still, a solid brewery.

3.51/5  rDev -8.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

I will tell anyone that listens when I get going on about beer, that I am not an IPA fan for the most part. I don't like beer that is "too hoppy" and when it gets too bitter, and/or medicinal tasting, well it just doesn't agree with me. I am more of a brown ale guy, TBH. So when I was in my local bottle shop looking for something different, all I saw on the ST 2X Rye carton was "3 kinds of hops and 5 kinds of malts" and figured I'd give it a try. It wasn't until I got home that I saw it was a rye IPA. Well, I certainly wasn't gonna waste this beer, so I cracked one and poured it into a glass...

My, doesn't /look/ like any IPA I have ever seen, nice caramel colour! Smells like an IPA, but not like "every other" IPA. I take a sip... and find myself enjoying this beer! Yes, it is bitter, but just within my boundaries of acceptance. I did find the malt coming through, and it ended in a very pleasant dryness without making my mouth pucker. The higher ABV content is well-hidden.

So, my basic proclamation is this - this is an IPA for people who don't like IPAs! I will be seeking out other rye IPAs to compare!

3.52/5  rDev -8.1%

Pours a clear, dark golden orange color with a 1.5 finger frothy white head that slowly settles into a lasting cap/ring. Good retention with streaks of soapy lacing coating the glass on the way down.

Slightly earthy aroma with resinous hops and grassy pine along with a strong malt presence and a decent amount of spicy rye. Soily with wet earth, grass and pine needle followed by caramels malt, toffee, biscuit and subtle dark fruit. Rye begins to stand out as it warms with a peppery spice character. Three different hop varieties but the hop profile in the nose is sort of one dimensional and the malts begin to overpower the rye after a while.

On the fuller end of medium body with a stronger rye presence than the nose hinted at. Spicy and peppery rye dominates the flavor up front but is quickly complimented by dry, earthy hop bitterness that lingers through the finish. Dry, sticky hops are very bitter with grass, pine needle and spruce tip flavor. As it warms, the malts become more prominent with caramel sweetness, toffee, dark fruit, bread and biscuit. The high ABV is well masked making this beer easier to drink than it should be. Complex and well balanced but the hops interfere with rye spiciness a bit too much for my preference. I would have preferred if it was heavier on the rye with a subtle earthy hop presence. Unfortunately it was the other way around. Still, this beer was interesting and an enjoyable drink. I haven't been a big fan of the 2X Series but this one was decent.

3.53/5  rDev -7.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Overall a pretty good rye, not one that is so complex it warrants a full review. The color was not as deep as I would expect from a rye. The mouthfeel was refreshing, but rather ordinary. One thing I need to point out is I cannot believe it is 8%...for a stronger beer, it is very very drinkable. Not boozy at all, and quite refreshing. Heck, I might put down a few of these tonight, cheers!

3.55/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Very good, but a little "hot" on the alcohol

3.57/5  rDev -6.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pour a hazey golden copper in color, topped with a pale-tan head and a with some good lacing.

A lighter hop note is obscured by the punchy rye character, which is all over the nose. Very light yeast character.

Brisk, sweet, and full of character on the first sip. Strong! Tastes much like a barleywine-stye ale to me, just one with a ton of rye in it. Lighter vegetal notes (fennel) and broader dark fruit in this one; Jammy, plum and strawberry.

A good deal of dryness despite the really firm malt character, here, with a very solid hop backbone (particularly bitterness) to nicely balance this one.

Pretty good drinkability for such a gutsy, strong beer.

Altogether this is a solid sippin' beer, and if you like rye malt, it's a must-try.

Bottle coded: "DOB 8/15/14"

3.59/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: A nice medium shade of amber that is perfectly clear. The head is a frothy off-white color and leaves great lacing.

S: Fairly complex hop aroma, a bit of pine, slightly catty, and a hint of grapefruit scent. It's not a really strong or fresh scent, but it has a good aroma to it.

T: First off there's a mellow bitter grapefruit flavor, followed by a light toast flavor. I do pick up a bit of the rye character, but it is so light compared to the hops. The hops really dominate in this beer. The more I drink it, the more the rye comes through...it's like the rye flavor develops layers on the palate over time and it becomes stronger. I don't get any alcohol flavor.

M: The mouthfeel is medium and not completely dry. It has a robustness to it.

O: Overall it wasn't my favorite rye beer or anything, but it was pretty good. I can't really put my finger on it but it just didn't win me over. I wouldn't turn down a pint but I wouldn't go nuts looking for it. It has the added benefit of being over 8% without tasting like alcohol, so that might be something to consider if you're a fan of imperial versions of beer styles. If that is the case, then I would definitely recommend trying it out. If you're just a rye fan, really it just provides your standard rye beer flavors.

3.59/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours a rich amber color with a slight haze. A desent size head formed on the pour but faded very quickly.
I didn't get much aroma and actually had that all too familiar old IPA smell.
The taste confirms my superstitions, yes it's old. I can detect a very light rye taste and barely any hops.
Taste is pretty good. It's sweet spicy and finishes with a dry biting bitterness.
Needs to be fresh for proper enjoyment.

3.6/5  rDev -6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

A: Pours a clear copper color. There isn't much head - not even a finger's worth of white-shaded head - but what's there tries its best to retain well. Some lacing is left behind.

S: A good amount of rye malt on the nose, with just a kiss of sugar cookie sweetness. An herbal touch of hop bitterness blends beautifully with the rye aroma. Perhaps too well, though: it's a bit one note aromatically.

T: This has a nice rye-forward nature. A pleasant spiciness opens the flavor profile nicely, with the earthier rye tones closing it well. All of this is accentuated by subtle hopping that provides a good flavor with low bitterness. Some of the fruity sweetness in the middle goes away once it warms up. This is exactly what I expected it to be, and that's a good thing.

M: Most rye beers seem to prick the tongue slightly, but this does a good job of retaining a smooth texture, partly thanks to restrained (if not low) carbonation. The finish isn't really that dry, so it's not amazingly drinkable. It's not suffocatingly sweet either, so it's not hard to drink, either. Basically, it's about as drinkable as you'd expect a good 8.1% brew to be.

O: If the whole modus operandi was to showcase the rye flavors first and foremost, I'd definitely say they succeeded. While not the most complex, it's definitely a very good rye ale, and one where I wouldn't have regretted picking up a 6-pack of this.

3.61/5  rDev -5.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance - golden amber colour with white head

Smell - spicy rye, citurs on this as well (grapefruit), orange peel

Taste - rye, caramel, grapefruit, hop bitterness

mouthfeel - heavier side of medium bodied, medium carbonation, spiciness and heavyness from the rye

overall - this beer is worth a try

price point - $1.67/12 oz single

3.62/5  rDev -5.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

A-amber with a very thin cream colored head.

S-crisp scent of rye, not so spicy, a bit malty. Fairly strong scent. Not too bad actually.

T-pretty bold flavor of rye and malts. There's not much complexity to it, but it's definitely a strong flavor. Has a good matching after-taste.

M-medium creamy carbonation with a creamy finish

O-it's not a terrible beer, but it isn't something I'll probably want again anytime soon. It's really rather boring. Definitely a fair example of they're style.

3.63/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

12 ounce bottle -> New Belgium globe glass.

I didn't realize this was a fall seasonal or I wouldn't have bought it last week.

A - pours up a hazy apricot color with a one inch head, pretty good retention, and great lacing.

S - nose is pretty strong. Orange peel seems to be the dominant note.

T - Being that this one is a little old, it was malt forward with only the slightest hint of rye on the finish. This one was likely pretty good at its peak, but has probably faded.

M - medium fullness with good carbonation.

O - gotta look for a fresh one next fall and try it then. Hopefully I can revise this review. Not bad as is, but I bet it's much better before the hops have faded.

3.65/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

12oz. bottle: this one pours a clear, lighter amber color. There was a small off-white head that didn’t linger long or leave any lacing. Surprisingly lighter aroma for an 8% beer. Some sweet malts, a hint of rye and a hint of spices. The taste is good, but not too exciting. Malts, with just a hint of sweetness. A touch of the rye and spices. Good, but could be better.

3.66/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Bottled 8/21/13. Poured 3/21/13... yeah, that's kinda old for my liking. $2.19 single bottle poured into a shaker pint.

Appearance: Aggressive pour gave a "frothy" (mm.. lovely word) white/sandy colored head. Very slight haze. Copper color.

Smell: Spicy hops and rye, but mostly rye. Maybe a little bit of caramel malt, but the rye dominates.

Taste/feel: Hm. Gotta assume it's past its prime by a decent bit. Nice body with a slight carbonation. A slightly spicy sweet rye flavor. Then a caramel malt aftertaste. Something's weird/off about this beer though. Maybe it's the sweetness I'm getting? It's a bit artificial or something. For some reason, a bit watery. It's hard for me to explain. It's definitely not bad, but it seems... light. 8% ABV isn't there in any way, so that's a good plus. The rye profile is nice, but it's not completely coming together for me.

I'd try this again on draft or in a fresher bottle maybe, but I'm not all that impressed with this beer as it is now.

3.68/5  rDev -3.9%

I picked up a bottle of Southern Tier's 2XRye a couple weeks ago for $1.89 at The Lager Mill. I'm kind of in the mood for a Rye Beer tonight and since I thought most of Southern Tier's 2X beers were nice I thought I would give this one a try, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into an imperial pint glass.

A- The label is pretty standard for the 2X series, it looks ok. It poured a fairly clear orange/amber color that took on more of an amber color when held to the light with two fingers worth of fluffy off white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left some nice spotty lacing behind with some nice head retention. This is a pretty good looking beer, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness followed by some nice malty aromas with some grainy and bready aromas coming through with some caramel malt aromas sticking out the most. Up next comes the rye which imparts a nice earthy and spicy rye aroma. Towards the end comes the hops that impart a nice citrus hop aroma with citrus rind aromas seeming to stick out the most. This beer had a pretty good aroma, it had a nice combination of malty, hoppy and rye like aromas.

T- The taste seems to be fairly similar to the aroma, but lighter. It starts off with a medium amount of sweetness followed by a good amount of malts that impart a nice grainy and bready flavor with caramel malts still sticking out the most and they are followed by a medium amount of earthy and spicy rye flavors. Up next comes a lighter citrus hop and earthy hop flavor with a lower amount of medium bitterness and a malty and rye like aftertaste.

M- Smooth, crisp, clean, fairly creamy, medium bodied with a slightly higher amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel was pretty good and it worked well with this beer.

Overall I thought this was a nice beer and an above average example of the style, it had just enough rye flavors but it didn't seem like the rye was bold enough to live up to the 2X name. This beer had nice drinkability, it was smooth, crisp clean, not too filing and the taste did a decent job at holding my attention, I think a couple of these would be the right amount for me. What I liked the most about this beer was the appearance and aroma, they were both pretty good, but I really liked the balance and the hop profile in the aroma. What I liked the least about this beer was the taste, it was still nice, but I thought the rye and especially the hops could have shown up more like they did in the aroma. I don't think I would buy this beer again, for a seasonal Rye Beer I would rather have a Ruthless Rye. I would recommend this to Rye Beer fans, but I don't think it's a stand out in the style. All in all I thought this beer was solid, but if the taste was as good as the aroma then this would be a pretty damn good beer, I think with a little tweaking it could live up to it's potential. This beer doesn't make me like Southern Tier anymore, but it doesn't make me like them any less either, it's kind of right in the middle.

3.69/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Lots of rye spiciness in the nose and taste, malty balance

2XRye from Southern Tier Brewing Company