2XRye - Southern Tier Brewing Company

Southern Tier Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

Rye Beer |  8.10% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: BB1313 on 08-28-2013)

3.75/5  rDev -1.8%

From the 12 fl. oz. bottle. Sampled on August 15, 2014.

The pour is fairly attractive with its medium amber color but there was not a lot of head to speak about.

The aroma tends to highlight the hops more than the rye with a forceful floral sensation and a soapy kind of scent that was slightly distracting. Double rye? Feels more like a DIPA.

The body is medium and has a kind of acidic astringency.

The taste does bring out a touch of those rye grains but this is really about the hops in my opinion. Floral, citrus, bitter hops.

3.92/5  rDev +2.6%

3.66/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

12oz. bottle: this one pours a clear, lighter amber color. There was a small off-white head that didn’t linger long or leave any lacing. Surprisingly lighter aroma for an 8% beer. Some sweet malts, a hint of rye and a hint of spices. The taste is good, but not too exciting. Malts, with just a hint of sweetness. A touch of the rye and spices. Good, but could be better.

4.5/5  rDev +17.8%

4.5/5  rDev +17.8%

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

I will tell anyone that listens when I get going on about beer, that I am not an IPA fan for the most part. I don't like beer that is "too hoppy" and when it gets too bitter, and/or medicinal tasting, well it just doesn't agree with me. I am more of a brown ale guy, TBH. So when I was in my local bottle shop looking for something different, all I saw on the ST 2X Rye carton was "3 kinds of hops and 5 kinds of malts" and figured I'd give it a try. It wasn't until I got home that I saw it was a rye IPA. Well, I certainly wasn't gonna waste this beer, so I cracked one and poured it into a glass...

My, doesn't /look/ like any IPA I have ever seen, nice caramel colour! Smells like an IPA, but not like "every other" IPA. I take a sip... and find myself enjoying this beer! Yes, it is bitter, but just within my boundaries of acceptance. I did find the malt coming through, and it ended in a very pleasant dryness without making my mouth pucker. The higher ABV content is well-hidden.

So, my basic proclamation is this - this is an IPA for people who don't like IPAs! I will be seeking out other rye IPAs to compare!

2XRye from Southern Tier Brewing Company