2XRye - Southern Tier Brewing Company

Southern Tier Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

Rye Beer |  8.10% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: BB1313 on 08-28-2013)
3.6/5  rDev -5.8%

quazi96, Sep 30, 2014

sansho, Sep 30, 2014
4.14/5  rDev +8.4%

12oz. Bottle.

Going deep tonight with my beer drinking tonight. I don't care, I'm not on a usual work week schedule. Enough jibber jabber, time for the beer. This brew pours gorgeous! Clean medium copper to a nice shade of Deep Amber body. Nice soapy white head. It's very attractive. The aroma is hops and malts making love in my nostrils! Very clean and resinous hops with a sweet malt backend. Citric lemon with an herbal tea quality that spits forth a hint of tropical goodness. Smells good, let's continue. The taste is just as good. It's all the qualities of a good IPA with a spicy rye bread backbone. The flavor starts out citric that turns to a bit of tropical stone fruits (pineapple acidity). Resinous hops show up too. Leaving a nice coating of lupulin oils to savor. The malts are present with a sweet, spicy and a bit multigrain toasted cracker. This finishes sweet, semi-dry, spicy with a lingering resinous hop bitterness. The feel on the brew is above par. Medium-light with active carbonation.

Overall: This brew is very enjoyable! It comes off as a Rye IPA vs a Rye Beer. Is this one of those beers that a brewer throws in as a curve ball to keep you guessing on the style? If so, I like it! There isn't any really negative things to say about this brew. Back to Basics, this brew is Recommended!

Shroud0fdoom, Sep 30, 2014

3.71/5  rDev -2.9%

JamieDuncan, Sep 27, 2014
4.03/5  rDev +5.5%

On tap:
Pours an amber orange, clear with visible carbonation that barely holds a thin edge. Some lacing can be found, but sparsely. At restaurant, nose hard to pick up, but I think it's stronger than I get. Sorta dark bread, bit of caramel, perhaps, maybe some orange blossom - I don't trust my interpretations, so a re-review will be interesting.

The taste does have some citrus to it, but also a lightly sweet spice to it-kind of a cinnamon sugar accent. The rye bite does come in, but it's not as dry as I am used to in a rye. There is an oaky-citrus rind type of bitterness in the end, but I keep getting something resembling a pumpkin beer. This sorta sweet beginning with a bit of a drying finish is right up my alley.

I enjoyed this beer, but am not sure what I got. I have no reason to believe I got the wrong beer as I did see the pour from the tap. I definitely need another shot at this, because if the next one equals this one, I could up my rating.

cjgiant, Sep 27, 2014

johnwetterstrand, Sep 27, 2014

StephRai, Sep 26, 2014

Mphis, Sep 24, 2014

BalancingBrooms, Sep 24, 2014
3.95/5  rDev +3.4%

Great rye. Nice hearty and rustic tones on it. Consistent flavor. Easy drinker. If you are looking for a regular rye to go to, this would definitely be one to consider.

RblWthACoz, Sep 24, 2014