2XRye - Southern Tier Brewing Company

Southern Tier Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

Rye Beer |  8.10% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: BB1313 on 08-28-2013)
4.5/5  rDev +17.8%

3.75/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours a clear light orange color into my pint glass. Medium size, slightly off-white head with good retention and some lacing on the glass.

Aroma and flavor feature some slightly sour and bready rye. Hops bitterness follow as the predominant aspect of the beer. Good solid flavor, not just an IPA with some rye thrown in.

Mouthfeel is crisp and somewhat bitter. Nice

This one is a winner.

3.5/5  rDev -8.4%

3.88/5  rDev +1.6%

12oz bottle DOB 08/21/13
A - deeper amber color with nice clarity, creamy ivory head fades rather quickly
S - toasted grain, caramel, earthy spicy rye, fruity piny hops
T - nice balance and complexity; fruity, spicy, earthy, rye, toasted grain, caramel, toffee, pine, citrus, alcohol very well concealed
M - medium/full body, somewhat resinous, finishes dry and semi-bitter
O - nice strong rye ale with good complexity. Glad to try it.

3.65/5  rDev -4.5%

I picked up a bottle of Southern Tier's 2XRye a couple weeks ago for $1.89 at The Lager Mill. I'm kind of in the mood for a Rye Beer tonight and since I thought most of Southern Tier's 2X beers were nice I thought I would give this one a try, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into an imperial pint glass.

A- The label is pretty standard for the 2X series, it looks ok. It poured a fairly clear orange/amber color that took on more of an amber color when held to the light with two fingers worth of fluffy off white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left some nice spotty lacing behind with some nice head retention. This is a pretty good looking beer, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness followed by some nice malty aromas with some grainy and bready aromas coming through with some caramel malt aromas sticking out the most. Up next comes the rye which imparts a nice earthy and spicy rye aroma. Towards the end comes the hops that impart a nice citrus hop aroma with citrus rind aromas seeming to stick out the most. This beer had a pretty good aroma, it had a nice combination of malty, hoppy and rye like aromas.

T- The taste seems to be fairly similar to the aroma, but lighter. It starts off with a medium amount of sweetness followed by a good amount of malts that impart a nice grainy and bready flavor with caramel malts still sticking out the most and they are followed by a medium amount of earthy and spicy rye flavors. Up next comes a lighter citrus hop and earthy hop flavor with a lower amount of medium bitterness and a malty and rye like aftertaste.

M- Smooth, crisp, clean, fairly creamy, medium bodied with a slightly higher amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel was pretty good and it worked well with this beer.

Overall I thought this was a nice beer and an above average example of the style, it had just enough rye flavors but it didn't seem like the rye was bold enough to live up to the 2X name. This beer had nice drinkability, it was smooth, crisp clean, not too filing and the taste did a decent job at holding my attention, I think a couple of these would be the right amount for me. What I liked the most about this beer was the appearance and aroma, they were both pretty good, but I really liked the balance and the hop profile in the aroma. What I liked the least about this beer was the taste, it was still nice, but I thought the rye and especially the hops could have shown up more like they did in the aroma. I don't think I would buy this beer again, for a seasonal Rye Beer I would rather have a Ruthless Rye. I would recommend this to Rye Beer fans, but I don't think it's a stand out in the style. All in all I thought this beer was solid, but if the taste was as good as the aroma then this would be a pretty damn good beer, I think with a little tweaking it could live up to it's potential. This beer doesn't make me like Southern Tier anymore, but it doesn't make me like them any less either, it's kind of right in the middle.

4.25/5  rDev +11.3%