Warlock - Southern Tier Brewing Company

New York, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  10.00% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: MasterSki on 09-19-2013

Imperial stout brewed with pumpkins Warlock is brewed to enchant your palate on its own and also to counterpoint our Imperial Ale, Pumking. Make your own black magic by carefully pouring this Imperial Stout into a goblet.

Dark and mysterious, the Blackwater Series is serious about high gravity. Reanimate your senses with Warlock’s huge roasted malt character, moderate carbonation and spicy pumpkin pie aroma.
Reviews: 362 | Hads: 2,843
4.28/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

L: pitch black with no head
S: big pumpkin, sweet like sweet potato pie!
T: rich pumpkin flavor, big a full flavored too.
F: fairly thin given the richness/style/ and full flavor
O: really good pumpkin beer and on the cheap!

4.95/5  rDev +25.3%

Ok, so I'll admit it, I'm a sucker for pumpkin anything. Especially sweets. Pumpkin pie, pumpkin cheesecake, pumpkin flan (Uncle Julio's, west Fort Worth), pumpkin cookies with cream cheese icing. Just about my favorite part of the holiday season is the plethora of pumpkin offerings. And of all the pumpkin infused brews, this is the one I keep coming back to.

This is from a Fall 2014 bomber.
A - Pours clear black (not murky) with a small head that settles to a ring and leaves some lacing on the sides.
S - The aroma is not very strong, but what I'm picking up is mild pumpkin.
T - The flavor includes pumpkin but it does not dominate. I'm also getting some dark chocolate with bitterness on the finish.
M - Medium mouth feel, low carbonation.
O - Definitely let it warm a little. Cold out of the fridge is not the best way to enjoy this beer. I had a fresh bottle last year and I don't think a year in my cellar has changed it much. I know there is a lot of hate on BA for Pumking and maybe Warlock too, but I think both are very enjoyable. And I certainly appreciate the easy availability of these quality, seasonal beers.

4.75/5  rDev +20.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I am a stout and porter drinker. I love this beer! Great balance between dessert pumpkin pie and a heavy stout. I have baked pumpkin pies with Guinness and this reminds me a little of that experience. Nice rocky head at pour, thins down as it leaves lacing all the way to the finish. Great aromas of toffee, pumpkin pie, some alcohol. Taste is complex and very smooth for 10% ABV!! Wow...fabulous! If you are an imperial fan, try this. If you like light pumpkin ales, try this too.

4.49/5  rDev +13.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

My bottle was 2013 vintage at 8.6% from my beer cellar.
Aged nicely at two years old. Amazing aroma of dark roasty goodness with hints of cocoa, full on chocolate and, well, PUMPKIN. But not overwhelming pumpkin--more like roasted pumpkin chunks with olive oil and some mild spices on a large cookie sheet fresh out of the oven. It's just right. Mouthfeel was full, robust and fulfilling. Beer packs a punch, and it's just where it needs to be for a satisfying pumpkin beer. Not like that watery stuff that is out there.
Loved it.

4.4/5  rDev +11.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

I'm still thinking about how good this beer was....and that's a rare occurrence. Perfect combination of pumpkin and stout....easily the best pumpkin stout around. This will not be a stranger in my house! Well done, Southern Tier!

3.96/5  rDev +0.3%

Pours dark and stately, nice modest head. Smell of pumpkin sweetness and cocoa. Taste is mostly bland, featureless black ale with a nice complement of pumpkin spiciness. Now, I dislike the artificial-ness of the Pumking taste, but Warlock has the right amount of it for me -- just a tad. However, the underlying "imperial stout" is sadly lacking. It's not watery, it's just featureless. It's impossible to say whether it's "roasty" or "chocolatey" or "bitter" or "sweet" or "charred" or "licoricey" or any of that. It's bland black ale that manages to hold the tad of pumpkin taste, but also manages to be dominated by that tad. Drinks smoothly, and without any harshness for the abv. I can't get excited about this, but am not sorry I had it.

4.25/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Had during pumpkin beer share. I really enjoyed this beer. To me, there was a nice crusty pumpkin pie flavors with some chocolate added in. Would have again.

4.34/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Very enjoyable sipper! Reminds me of a Brandy almost? Had a sample at bucktown at Robinson with Leah. Nicely warm going dahn the hatch! Would do again for a sipper.

4.01/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

I'm not sure that some of the reviews below are of this beer... I would not call this beer cloying, especially for an imperial stout, especially by Southern Tier.

This is one of the only pumpkin beers that reminds me of a fresh pumpkin or cooked pumpkin and not "pumpkin spice" which isn't even pumpkin at the end of the day.

Its look is nothing special, its a bit lighter of color than the Mokah or Choklat but basically the same. It looks like a porter or imperial porter and I generally don't give a crap what beer looks like but the smell is incredible. It smells of caramelized pumpkin/squash, cane sugar, and milky way bars but with a distinct freshness. The taste is very malt-forward, with a traditional coffee-like flavor, which gives way to a nice but subtle hop bitterness which I think helps the pumpkinness of it seem more like real planty pumpkin and less spice. There is decent carbonation, its a bit thin for an imperial porter but if it were heavier it wouldn't be so drinkable and would be much sweeter.

Overall I enjoy this beer. It's up there with Mokah, better than Choklat.

4.3/5  rDev +8.9%

Picked this up a few weeks back up in Totowa, having never had this before. I love most of Southern Tier's offerings and when I saw the list of hops and malts in this, I knew that I had to give it a go. Not a typical pumpkin beer, was less spicy and more full as it did indeed remind me of an American Double/Imperial Stout more than anything else!

The pour to this was indeed dark and mysterious as the beer had a thin appearance to it, a frothy head that quickly settled, and a bit of lacing that quickly slid down the side of my pint glass. Nice roasted aroma to this as the first impression of this was a strong blast of earthy hops. Vanilla and roasted chocolate were underneath that as the fullness of this beer became apparent in the back. The pumpkin puree and the hearty graham cracker-like pumpkin pie served as the base of this and really took this up to another level. I didn't think this would be so filling but it was and it even seemed like there was some sweetness in the midst of all of this, as if someone managed to stick some Cool Whip into the brew!

Strong and bold, this tasted the part but not quite as much as the 10.00% ABV would have lead me to believe. Lacking in the cinnamon, clove, nutmeg, and other spices that tend to drag anything with pumpkin down, this almost reminded me of a Black IPA, since that's how hopped up and potent this was. A worthy addition to anyone's fall rotation and a beer that I can't wait to have on tap up at the Cloverleaf!

4.14/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

I poured this into a snifter.
The appearance was a black color with a finger's worth of white to off white foamy head. It quickly dissipated leaving some light lacing running here and there in a messy sort of way.
The smell starts off with dark roasted chocolate malts with an eloquent pumpkin pie crust in the background (makes sense since its Pumking that has been thrown in this thing). Some spices (allspice or ginger) try to make an effort to show up, but they're super light and almost hard to decipher they're even there.
The taste was mainly pumpkin and cocoa sweet, once again, the pumpkin spices are extremely light.
The mouthfeel was about medium bodied with a fair sessionability about it. Spices don't detract from wanting to gulp. The sweetness isn't overly cloying either (did I just use the word cloying, yeah, I think I finally understand what that means and how its used in for this beer).
Overall, is that double/imperial stout with the Pumking in it. Pumking might have a cult following, but to me, I think I'd much rather prefer this one as there's more balance.

4.45/5  rDev +12.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

22 oz bottle poured into a Hefe glass....yeah I know. I had a Hefe glass handy and was feeling lazy.

Wonderful seasonal. Pours as dark brown as possible without being black. Thin head with pretty good staying power, leaving only a little soapy looking lacing.

Smells and tastes like a fresh pumpkin pie. That it is 10% ABV floors me. I felt no alcohol burn...actually might have liked a tad more. But it's absolutely delicious.

Gotta run back to Harley's tomorrow. Hope they still have some.

4.32/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours a very dark brown, tan head, pretty minimal foam which dissipates quickly. Aroma is strong pumpkin and gingerbread, some cinnamon and vanilla coming through as well. Pumpkin spice is up front on the taste, I'm really loving how the gingerbread is featured heavily as well. Nice overall spice assortment, the roasted/burnt malt notes coming through at the end are a pleasant way to finish the experience. Somewhat thick and milky mouthfeel, fitting of the overall Warlock offering. Smooth, with what feels like the right amount of carbonation (minimal). Really a robust and tasty fall brew from Southern Tier! For what it's worth, I'd probably get this over Pumking.

L: Really pretty dark color
S: This smells really good, like autumn spiciness, and the pumpkin doesn't punch you in the face, which is nice.
T: Delicious, just enough sweetness.
F: Very smooth, not too foamy or carbonated.
O: Excellent fall beer.

4.28/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

2015 22oz bottle served with stuffed butternut squash and roasted fall veggies

Look - Midnight in a glass. Pitch black, opaque body topped with small dark head.
Smell - Strong autumn spices (cinnamon, clove) with hints of vanilla.
Taste - Big malt forward flavor which transitions to strong spicy autumn tastes and finishes with smooth vanilla.
Feel - Smooth and milky mouth feel. Could be a bit thicker for the flavor, style, and ABV.
Overall - A great fall beer. Love this as an alternative to the typical golden pumpkin ale. Great with a heavy fall meal or dessert. Will be buying more and adding to my stash to enjoy later in the year.

3.02/5  rDev -23.5%

This didn't work for me very well. Thin body and overpowering pumpkin took away from the typically rich heavy flavors of an imperial stout. Add a bit of a boozy finish and a dash of cinnamon resulted in a non-imoerial porter in my mind.

look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Poured from a bottle into a goblet. Very dark brown, almost black, with a thin tan head. Smells mostly of allspice, gingerbread, some cinnamon. The pumpkin comes in a bit more in the taste, but with many of the flavors in the aroma. The spices blend nicely with the pumpkin. Mouth feel is moderately heavy, somewhat syrupy. Overall very good pumpkin beer, nicely balanced between pumpkin and spices.

1.67/5  rDev -57.7%

ok so maybe pumpkin beers just arent my thing but i know a little about imperial stouts, and have brewed a few tasty ones in my time... but this? omfg. if cloyingly sweet, imitation pumpkin spice mixed with cigarette butts, old coffee and dirty socks wrapped in a tea bag.... and steeped in what would have been an adequate at best imperial stout is your thing... look no further! the ONLY thing that kept me from dumping this monstrosity down the sewer was it's 10% abv. kind of bad when alcohol content is the only saving grace for a beer. awful... just really really awful.

Had this beer a couple of days after tasting Imperial Pumpkin from Harpoon. There is no comparison here this beer wins hands down. Nice pumpkin spice flavors rapped around a great mouth feel. I'm not sure this is a go to stout but well a couple of times in the fall it will be nice.

4.2/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

pours a very very dark brown, if not black. has a cream colored head. fades quick

smells like pumpkin pie, has a spice to it as well.

tastes like heavy pumpkin pie. some spice and roasted malt as well.

very full tasting beer. thick and heavy pumpkin pie flavor. better than pumking! i like pumpkin beer mixed with a stout, it's pretty nice.

overall this is a pretty good beer. better than pumking. this isn't light, has a roasted malt and stout feel to accompany the heavy pumpkin. im usually not a pumpkin beer fan but this is pretty good.

3.36/5  rDev -14.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Bottle at America on Tap
Deep brown color, Caramel and Brown sugar with hints of chocolate and roast plenty of pie spices to cut through the maltiness. Seems too spicy.

3.96/5  rDev +0.3%

Poured into a snifter glass. After the opening beers were into a pint glass it felt ( well girly

4.01/5  rDev +1.5%

I endorse it, especially after like 8 primer beers. It's heavy duty, and really puts the incing on a good booze session. Only one or two of these guys though, or you'll end up getting arrested.

4.08/5  rDev +3.3%

On tap @ PJ's Cherry Hill

Look - Basically black, not much head
Smell - Spice, pumpkin, burnt sugar sweetness, roasty
Taste - Huge gingerbread taste to me which I enjoyed. A lot of spices. Roasted notes. Pumpkin notes
Feel - Not as thick as I thought 10% was going to be. The only true downside to this beer.

Overall - A very tasty pumpkin imperial stout.

Warlock from Southern Tier Brewing Company