Warlock - Southern Tier Brewing Company

WarlockWarlock

Southern Tier Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  8.60% ABV

Imperial stout brewed with pumpkins Warlock is brewed to enchant your palate on its own and also to counterpoint our Imperial Ale, Pumking. Make your own black magic by carefully pouring this Imperial Stout into a goblet.

Dark and mysterious, the Blackwater Series is serious about high gravity. Reanimate your senses with Warlock’s huge roasted malt character, moderate carbonation and spicy pumpkin pie aroma.

(Beer added by: MasterSki on 09-19-2013)
kemoarps

Washington

4.28/5  rDev +7.5%

I had no idea what to expect going into this one. Lo and behold, what I should have expected was, "delicious." Now I know. And knowing is half the battle, right?

The pour is midnight black, with a medium tan head slowly shrinking from the pinnacle. Nice little faerie ring left around the edge, but that's about it as far as retention. A touch of lace, but not too much.

Well, now. HELLO. Rich creamy vanilla is the first to hit the nose, then the pumpin pie spices that we all adore so much. Like I said, I didn't know what to expect going in, but this is a really good smelling beer. The immediate images conjured are of pumpkin pie with a shit load of whipped cream/vanilla ice cream (whatever your preference) topping it off, which just happens to be my preferred way of gorging myself on pumpkin pie. Mainly sweet; the aforementioned vanilla, pumpkin, and the traditional pie spices: heavy cloves, allspice, nutmeg, some cinnamon. The stout component seems to take a back seat here; mainly providing a thick richness as a backdrop on which the pie spice can shine, like the pinprick light of stars on a clear black autumn night.

The taste follows suite, for the most part. Rich and creamy, the spice drives things (Shouts to Frank Herbert). Sweet, but not cloyingly so. Creamy and rich, the nutmeg and cloves really benefit from the stout background as opposed to a lighter foundation. As I said, I get a pretty strong vanilla presence as well, and the pumpkin and other spices file in taking turns coating the tongue in glory. Roasty malts form the ground floor, and a hint of bitter pokes through from time to time, but don't be mistaken: this falls squarely on the sweet side of that dichotomy. The 8.6% is not overly apparent, but certainly more noticeable than other comparable beers I've had recently. Not distracting in any way, though.
This is one of the more enjoyable pumpkin beers I can remember having tried. It just hits all the right notes for me. I hope there's more left at the store when I go back: this is what I get for refusing to engage pumpkin/fall beers until at least October, even though they start showing up on the shelves in August or September.

10-20-2013 19:36:01 | More by kemoarps
Ctruskey

10-20-2013 19:21:19 | More by Ctruskey
Etan

Wisconsin

3.11/5  rDev -21.9%

On-tap at the Coopers Tavern, served in a tulip.

A. Pours black with a nice light beige head.

S. Smells of heavy pumpkin spice, dusting of sweet cocoa and roasted grain, sugary caramel. Very sweet.

T. Taste brings brazen allspice, light vegetal pumpkin flavor, astringent roasted malt and cloying, artificial butterscotch. Nothing redeeming here.

M. Between medium and thick-bodied with light carbonation.

O. I should have known better. This beer has the same terrible cloying butterscotch flavor that Choklat and Creme Brulee have. I could not get past a couple of ounces.

10-20-2013 19:09:18 | More by Etan

Denzo

10-20-2013 12:31:19 | More by Denzo
2x10

3.61/5  rDev -9.3%

Little to no head , wish there was a little more. Smells very similar to pumking, which is prob the best smelling beer ever.

Very dark color, like molasses, but not as thick.

Taste is very pleasant - pumking with a very slight not each of caramel, coffee, & chocolate.

It's a very smooth beer that I think is very drinkable (more than pumking). Alcohol does hit u, but is hidden!

I did not think it was as bitter as others have stated, and didn't have the dirt taste that most stouts tend to have.

I really enjoyed this beer, and appreciated not having to taste or smell hops.

It is way overpriced

10-20-2013 03:07:33 | More by zbodnar1
Chadpaq

3.83/5  rDev -3.8%

Look – 4
Slightly less viscous than chocolate sauce and slightly more permeable to light, though not by much on either accord. Little to no head, poured fairly gently and maybe emptied 1/3 from bottle to snifter. Slight froth around rim.
A pretty beer, one that I’m certain on looks alone would fetch quite a morning hangover. Will be limiting myself to only this bottle tonight.

Smell – 4.25
Aroma very similar to that of Pumking; rich, pumpkinny, buttery. It smells like a rich pie liquefied in a glass. Pumking fills me up like a milkshake and I don’t doubt this will have the same effect.

Taste – 3.5
At its best this samples elements of Pumking, but the Imperial Stout style distracts this beer from tasting as good as it could. This is more a preference thing. Given the fact that this is a stout, it’s not going to have the same level of sweetness that a pumpkin ale – READ: dessert beer – will have.

Feel – 4
Not overly thick, and perfect on carbonation. Though I’m certain that I won’t even finish the bottle (I know, heresy to waste beer, but I’m drinking this thing alone, I’m a bit of a lightweight at this stage of my drinking career, there is no smaller size available for purchase and I spent my own damn money on this so I’ll do what I please), I wish this were just a tad thicker, perhaps to match the chocolate syrup-like appearance. This is a smooth beer, to be sure.

Overall - 4
As Imperial Stouts go, a style that lacks appeal to me and, thus, a style of which I have little knowledge, this is a good one. I would pack a couple bottles of this and take it to the mountains for a mountain weekend. It’s currently 77 degrees outside my Jacksonville abode so conditions aren’t just perfect for this one but maybe by Halloween I’ll be able to enjoy this one out on the porch in a light jacket. I’d buy this beer again, but next time it’ll be to share.

10-20-2013 02:43:51 | More by Chadpaq

Wisconsin

10-20-2013 00:08:21 | More by Soneast
mscottjohnston

4.44/5  rDev +11.6%

Poured from a 750ml into a tulip glass. Ink black with a one finger head. Nose is pumpkin and spices. Taste of heavy spice up front, mixing beautifully into the malty flavor of the imperial stout. Light body for an imperial stout, but a lingering finish. Very good beer all around.

10-19-2013 23:39:13 | More by mscottjohnston