Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Warlock - Southern Tier Brewing Company

WarlockWarlock

Southern Tier Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  10.00% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: MasterSki on 09-19-2013

Imperial stout brewed with pumpkins Warlock is brewed to enchant your palate on its own and also to counterpoint our Imperial Ale, Pumking. Make your own black magic by carefully pouring this Imperial Stout into a goblet.

Dark and mysterious, the Blackwater Series is serious about high gravity. Reanimate your senses with Warlock’s huge roasted malt character, moderate carbonation and spicy pumpkin pie aroma.
Reviews: 319 | Hads: 2,626
3.46/5  rDev -12.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

From the bomber into a snifter. 2014 bottle.

This beer looks great in a snifter. Light, fluffy, oatmeal-colored head of a finger and a half over a pitch-black body that pours lighter and less viscous than I thought it would. Carbonation is visible and continuous. 4.5

Pumking and Warlock smell very similar. Pumpkin is strong, thick and slightly sweet, but it's also spiced and kind of perfume-like. Just like with Pumking, I'm not sure how I feel about this. I guess it seems kind of artificial and beyond what pumpkin smells like. I don't detect any stout like qualities on the nose. 3.5

This tastes a lot like Pumking too... and a lot like what I was experiencing on the nose. It's the same potent, yet seemingly unreal, thick, robust, creamy, vanilla and spice-tinged pumpkin. And the perfume-like quality remains. There is some redemption on the finish though, as a dark roast flavor and dark chocolate give this beer a good flavor that I wish was more apparent throughout. 3.25

The beer has enough of a creamy quality to be quite drinkable, but the perfume-like quality runs into bitter hops which run into some solvent feel, which are all disagreeable to me in this combination. Just as with the taste, the stout qualities are enjoyable and redeem this beer slightly. 3.5

It's funny they say to drink this at 42 degrees, because it's a million times better warm when the stout shows up. The perfume takes a back seat and this becomes more enjoyable. As things stand, this beer was okay but almost a workout to drink. (1,530 characters)

4.14/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Very lazy review. Smells and tastes like Pumking with some chocolate and light coffee. Tastes good. I'm happy. I would say I like it a little better than Pumking. (162 characters)

3.82/5  rDev -3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

(3.75) A: Dark reddish brown with thin and wispy head that vanishes promptly.

(4.25) S: Gingerbread, pumpkin, nutmeg, wood chips, caramel, and faint cinnamon. As a big fan of gingerbread and fall/winter spices, I am really enjoying this aroma – also has a unique underlying root beer like aroma.

(3.75) T: Identical to aroma with a ton of gingerbread, spices, toffee, and hints of dark fruits. This is understandably sweet tasting with a load of all sorts of pie-like spices.

(3.25) M: Medium bodied with quite a low carbonation that could use a boost. Texture is soft and a bit creamy.

(3.75) D: This was tasty and the aroma was outstanding, however the bold sweet flavour is such that half a bomber bottle would be enough for me. Very unique and something I'm glad I tried. (782 characters)

Poured from a 22 oz bottle into Pumking chalice. Pours a deep brown with little to no head retention. The smell is wonderful, very pumpkin pie like with nutmeg and slight cinnamon overtones. The taste is similar to the smell until the end, at the finish I get a very strong nutmeg/bitter taste that is quite unappealing. The beer goes down smooth with a slightly thicker mouth feel. Overall an average pumpkin flavored beer, but nothing I would seek out again. The bitter over the top spice notes on the finish are too much for me. (537 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +14.2%

Blindfolded, I don't think I would notice a difference in aroma between this and Pumking. But the flavor and texture and definitely different. It's heavier, dryer, and the finish is definitely more stout-like. But those delicious spices that make Pumking outstanding are still there and hold up. There's something almost pop-like to start. Overall, it's a tad more aggressive and the roasted malt certainly comes out.

If I had to choose between Warlock and Pumking for the rest of my life, I'd go with Pumking. But this is a very tasty change of pace. (552 characters)

3.25/5  rDev -17.5%

A - Dark opaque body with foamy tan head. Very good retention but no lacing to speak of.

S - Dark molasses and the usual cinnamon and nutmeg "pumpkin" spices.

T - Floral hops upfront recede to a wicked medicine flavor. Heavy chocolate sweetness takes over with the cinnamon and spices coming in. Nice alcohol kick.

M - Full body with moderate carbonation. Very thick and sticky.

O - Just can't do pumpkin beers. There's just too much "pumpkin" flavoring, so heavy handed. It comes off artificial and undrinkable to me. I'd love this to be a great stout first, then a pumpkin beer, rather than the other way around. (625 characters)

Looks pretty at first. White head atop a brew that could pass for cola.

Nose is pumpkin and spice. You'd be forgiven for thinking this was Pumking. Doesn't have any aromas that would suggest a stout.

Taste is sweet, upfront, followed by spice. Lots of pumpkn pie spices. Good, but fake tasting. Finish is long and quite sweet and with something strange. Not sure what it is, nor whether I like it.

Body is lighter than expected and lighter than should be for the style.

I'd try this again, but I'm disenchanted to know this has added flavors. Maybe that explains some more f the off character. Also a bit disillusioned about calling this an imperial stout. (662 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +14.2%

Poured from the bottle black as night, with a slight dark tan head. The head didn't hang around much.

Aroma was astounding - At first very reminiscent of pumpkin with the toasted malts coming through and the warming notes being noticed as well.

Finally found it this year so I had some high expectations of it. I'm glad to report that they were met! The magical aroma of the pumpkin first enchanted my nose a second before taking a taste. The roasted malts with the pumpkin mixed extremely well. The warming notes of the 8.6% helped keep my spirits up on a chilly autumn afternoon.

I wish the beer had a fuller mouthfeel, but regardless the flavors all came through.

Great carbonation - not too much, just right for a stout.

This will be a staple in my fall brews for years to come. What a great pumpkin stout that lives up to it's name. (853 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +6.6%

Poured from the 22 oz bomber into a tulip.
Pours jet black with generous bubbly head that's a lighter color than I expected.
Smells of gingerbread and roasted malt.
Tastes delicious. Generous yet balanced spice of cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger.
Finishes nicely, slightly velvety.
All in all, this was a balanced and very tasty beer. Nice! (335 characters)

2.72/5  rDev -31%

Well, it says this beer is retired and I say that's for the best. You can tell the base stout to this beer is solid, great black appearance, hop balance, and mouthfeel. Where this beer disappointed was the spice boutique, way too much Potpourri taste, harsh and pungent on the taste buds. While I found Pumking to be a classic pumpkin beer Warlock can be skipped. (366 characters)

4.05/5  rDev +2.8%

On tap at Cooper's Tavern in Madison, WI. Poured into a tulip glass 10/26/2014.

A- Dark brown body, nearly black. One finger offwhite head with great retention time. No lacing at all, as expected. [3.75]

S- Pumpkin spices, milk chocolate, a little bit of roast. But even when it warms up, it is all cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, allspice. It smells like a big slice of pumpkin pie mixed in with a small slice of chocolate cake. Smells delicious and nicely balanced. [4.25]

F- Drinks like sweet pumpkin pie up front, finishes a slightly fudgy bitter dark chocolate, which is a nice balance. Surprisingly delicious, nicely complex with the spices, milk chocolate sweetness, roast character and dark chocolate bitterness. It's not a mess or anything like that despite the overall sweetness. [4]

M- Medium bodied, on the thinner side, lower in carbonation but still drinks smoothly. Not bitter or resinous at all; the finish is a nice slightly bitter dark chocolate mixed in with all the pumpkin spices. Nicely balanced, more so than Pumking. [4]

O- This surprised me and surpassed all expectations. This is a very tasty pumpkin-inspired imperial stout and would recommend it to any pumpkin beer lover. [4]

Final score: 4.04 (1,222 characters)

3.49/5  rDev -11.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

A: dark brown; almost no head - not even a skin; no lacing;

S: ginger, nutmeg, and cinnamon;

T: liquid gingerbread; a little roasted grain toward the end with some mild bitterness;

M: a little tin; very light carbonation;

O: interesting take on a pumpkin beer and an improvement over most; a little thin for a stout; (320 characters)

4.27/5  rDev +8.4%

650ml bottle into snifter. bottled on august 15, 2014. consumed on october 24, 2014

a: i was expecting some sort of pitch black hue but this beer is all deep ruby. light does get through, and reveals an evil and glowing ruby/crimson red/chestnut colour. really cool. about a finger of head from an aggressive pour

s: smells /exactly/ like pumking. buttery pie crust, sweet pumpkin flesh, slight vanilla accents. i'm picking out a slight dark fruit presence which is probably the only thing separating the aroma from pumking's. not complaining though. i could sniff this all day

t: great stuff. bitter dark chocolate, licorice, and roasted malt flavours show themselves briefly up front, but the pumpkin pie characteristics dominate going into the mid-palate -- buttery malty pie crust, vanilla, and pumpkin flesh. the stout qualities return in the end much stronger than in the front, drying out the palate nicely with notes of licorice, black coffee, dark chocolate, and a mild cherry-fig mix. zero alcohol presence

m: sub-medium-bodied with mild carbonation. could be a bit better. feels slightly watery

o: a really delicious seasonal brew that has a killer aroma and bold flavours. i wish this had more of a stout base as it feels like a pumpkin ale with added stout flavours, but i understand that pumpkin is probably the showcase here (1,359 characters)

Not as cloying as Pumking - very good beer, perhaps my favorite pumpkin beer. The Station, Hickory NC, has both Warlock and Pumking on draft - I mixed the two, joy. (164 characters)

3.45/5  rDev -12.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

22oz bomber: This one pours a clear, very dark brown color. There was a thin tan head that didn’t linger long or leave any lacing. Definitely pumpkin to the nose. Also a sweetness to the pumpkin. Perhaps some cinnamon. The taste is good, but there is a slick sweetness that isn’t necessarily appealing. Cinnamon, chocolate, pumpkin flavors are predominate. Like the Pumpking, the sweetness turns me off. I won’t be having another. (436 characters)

3.72/5  rDev -5.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Dark black brew topped with a decent tan head; OK retention, little lacing.

Brew smells musty, vegetal, and spiced. Pumpkin and nutmeg are most prominent.

Dry, herbal, semi-sweet spices up forward, complemented by pumpkin and cacao. The pumpkin and spices taste a little artificial, but not offensively so. The stout base is rather subdued.

Fairly thin and dry mouthfeel. Very drinkable. Long finish hinting of spice.

This is not a bad pumpkin beer, and while I wouldn't turn down a glass, neither will I be ordering one up. It does nothing to offend, but nothing to enchant. (579 characters)

I'm a big fan of pumking, so when I saw this beer I figured I would love it since imperial stouts are one of my face. Not so. It seems a bit thin, the flavor doesn't taste like an IS. So a bit dissapointed. Would rather have purchased Pumking.

So stick with the original is my suggestion. (291 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +9.1%

pours black, still...not much carbonation, little head. no lacing. smells just like pumpkin pie-no kidding. actually, very reminicent of Pumking...a little roasted malt, but mostly big spice, pumpkin pie. big full bodied creamy mouthfeel. tastes like pumpkin pie, with big roasted malt in the finish. I actually like this better than Pumking, a lot less cloying sweetness, just as much spice. big pumpkin taste, i cant say pumpkin pie enough. but the roasted malt adds a bit of smokiness in the finish, not so much as others i've had where it can taste like burnt pumpkin pie...adds a good balance to the sweetness. and it is still very sweet. (643 characters)

Lots of flavor in this one.

Reminded me more of a Old Ale/Winter Warmer than an Imperial stout. Very malty of course, molasses and chocolate dominate the palate. Lots ofadded flavoring. I got cinnamon, ginger, and vanilla, maybe some nutmeg too. Some pumpkin and squash notes though not alot. I enjoyed drinking this, too me its more of a winter beer, than a fall. Worth checking out. (385 characters)

3.69/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

9/24....pours dark black, full light block, but little foam. Sits still and quiet. Rich fruity forward nose, raisins, coffee, chocolate, licorice. Very faint pumpkin too. Astringent taste, all over the place. Really boozy. Interesting, but not quite sure. (255 characters)

3.71/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Picked up a bomber from Total Wine in mid-August for $8.99. Bottled on 7/7/14.

Beer poured dark brown with a nice tan head on the initial pour.

Nose is graham cracker crust, spices, and artificial sweetner.

Taste is graham cracker, cloves, hint of chocolate, and allspice.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied and pretty smooth.

Overall much more balanced than pumpking, still a bit too much allspice and cloves. (408 characters)

3.68/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

22 oz. bottle poured into a snifter

Looks just like a good stout should--near-black with two fingers of tight khaki head that maintains a thin cap and nice collar. Dark roasted malts with cocoa accents battle sweet pumpkin spice for dominance in the nose.

Taste is briefly dark bittersweet chocolate and coffee, then is overtaken by sweet pumpkin spice. Body is somewhat creamy but I find myself wishing it was a bit heavier. Doesn't coat the palate the way I prefer an imperial stout to.

Not terrible, but not what I'm looking for. I love big stouts and I love big pumpkin beers, but this shows me I'm better off keeping the two separate. Mix some Pumking with some 2X Stout and save yourself some money. (708 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -4.8%

22oz bottle into a goblet. Pours very dark, with a strong head and lots of lace on the side. Pumpkin and spice (nutmeg and ginger(?)) aroma, with some must and a bit of funk as well. Sharp and bitter in the front, which fades to sweet maltiness. Mouthfeel is almost whiskey-like, which is surprising as it is not a particularly high alcohol beer. Medium carbonation and a long finish. (389 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +9.1%

Serving: Poured out of a bottle into an English (stout) pint.

A: A wonderfully deep red color surrounded by an abyss of blackness invading throughout.
The half inch off-white head dissipates to a thin layer which offers very little lacing.

S: Pumpkin hits the nose instantly, followed up with excellent blasts of caramel and all the
various malts. This is then accompanied by several holiday spices like nutmeg and cinnamon.

T: The decent alcohol content is well hidden behind the great taste of pumpkin and cinnamon.
Aftertaste is of malt and hops.

M: Soft and chewy with medium carbonation. It's neither too dry nor too tart, like some
stouts, which is welcome.

O: The amazing pumpkin aspect perfectly suits Southern Tier's ambitions while the other
elements help to keep the rest in balance. However, if you prefer just a hint of pumpkin
flavor in your beer, I'd suggest you look elsewhere. This is my third bottle of the stuff
and I can't get enough. (963 characters)

A: Black coffee with about a 1" head that dissipates quickly. Very minimal lacing.

S: Notes of pumpkin (obviously), nutmeg, and maybe some cinnamon. Not getting any type of coffee aroma.

T: Solid. Sweet. Very much tasting the pumpkin which is to be expected. Though, I am not getting coffee notes in the smell, I am getting a slight coffee taste. Cannot, from the taste, sense the 8.6% ABV.

M: Very light for an imperial stout.

O: A very solid beer. Imperial stouts are by far my favorite style. However, though this is labeled as one, I couldn't really tell from the taste. I would have no problem drinking this again, but I wouldn't seek it out as I did this year. I've been meaning to try this since I got into craft beer last fall and I am not too disappointed. (771 characters)

Warlock from Southern Tier Brewing Company