Follow our progress ...

Live Oak Liberation Ale With Ringwood, Progress, Pilgrim Hops | Live Oak Brewing Company

YOUR RATING = None |
Awaiting 10 Reviews

Live Oak Brewing Company
Texas, United States | website

Style: American IPA

Alcohol by volume (ABV): not listed

Added by kojevergas on 11-15-2013

2.9

Reviews: 1 | Ratings: 1
2.9/5  rDev n/a

Served from the cask into a nonic glass as the Draughthouse brewpub here in Austin, Texas. Reviewed from notes. Cost was $6.00 for the poor. This is their Liberation Ale brewed with ringwood, progress, and pilgrim hops (normal Liberation is brewed with Cascade hops).

A: No bubble show forms as it's poured.

Pours a one finger wide head of white colour. Lovely creaminess and thickness. Nice even lacing. Bad retention (less than one minute).

Body colour is a muted hazy yellow of below average vibrance. No yeast particles are visible.

Sm: Fresh hop notes: floral character, cirusy character (orange and lemon), and piney notes. Pale malts, pilsner malts. Quite fresh and evocative. The pine develops a bit as the beer comes to temperature. I dig the hop aromatics; the hops are quite present and assertive. No yeast character or alcohol is detectable. I also don't find any ringwood, and I think that's a good thing. A fragrant, appealing aroma of mild strength.

T: Pale malts and pilsner malts provide the simple foundation. Floral hops, piney hops, evergreen, wood (Ringwood, I suppose, but I'm no expert on the tastes of different woods), and crisp citrusy character (orange and lemon). The malty body isn't obtrusive. Unfortunately, there is some alcohol presence. No yeast character comes through; it's quite a clean flavour profile. But it's biting and over-aggressive, with too much hop bitterness.

Overall, it's quite simple and the lack of balance holds it back. Lacks complexity and subtlety.

Shallow depth of flavour. Below average duration and intensity of flavour for the style. I'm not a big fan.

Mf: Smooth and wet. Has a biting overcarbonation, which is shocking given that it was served from a cask. Lacks body. Thickness is overbearing on the palate, especially given the lack of flavour diversity. Subpar presence on the palate. Like most cask beers, the mouthfeel is a mess - just not in the way you'd expect. Doesn't really suit the flavour profile well.

Not oily, harsh, gushed, or astringent.

Dr: Downable but of limited quality. I wouldn't get it again. A disappointment from Live Oak. Only for diehard Live Oak fans, but then I doubt Live Oak will make this again given that it turned out merely average. Decently priced, I guess. Would be better on-draught. I'm glad I stumbled across this experimental brew, but it's not Live Oak's strongest offering, and I'm not even sure it's any better than regular Liberation Ale.

C

Live Oak Liberation Ale With Ringwood, Progress, Pilgrim Hops from Live Oak Brewing Company
- out of 100 based on 1 ratings.