Live Oak HefeWeizen - Live Oak Brewing Company

to view more.
Ratings: 1,152 | Reviews: 373
Reviews by mymrnngjckt:
4.5/5  rDev +2.7%

Thanks to LukeM23 for a grolwer of this beer. I have been wanting to try this one since I have been on BA.

Pours a murky dark golden yellow. Bananas, orange peel, pineapple in the smell. Taste mirrors the smells. One of the most banana flavored hefes I have ever consumed. Nice carbonation.

The best American Hefe I have ever consumed.

4.49/5  rDev +2.5%

Hazy golden beer. Light ripe banana notes and bubblegum with heavy clove and spicy tastes. Refreshing mouthfeel and easy drinking brew.

4.16/5  rDev -5%

On tap at the Draught House in Austin, TX in a nonic glass and at the Alamo Draft House on Lamar in several pint glasses.

Pours a hazed yellow cake color, on the lighter side of many hefes with a healthy white head that comes in just a touch too light and bubbly for me. I like the head on my Hefes a little more sticky, then again, this could be the result of poor glass choice at both locations I drank this.

Aroma is fresh and clean but lighter than I would like. Banana notes are moderate but spice notes, particularly cloves, are very light. A more generic fruity yeastiness is more pronounce.

Taste is also on the light side flavor wise. Banana and touches of spice mixed with a general breadiness.

Mouthfeel: Light, clean, fresh, crisp (I know that is weird in a Hefe but this one is), and airy.

Drinkability: Out of the ballpark. This beer has absolutely no negative traits, no off-flavors, no adjuncts. It is remarkably clean an refined, especially for an American brewery. Add those qualities to its refreshingly light body and you have a real winner in this category. This is an ideal sometime session beer.

Overall, I am mildly disappointed in Live Oak Hefe for a couple of reasons. Naturally, I have held this beer on a high pedestal, perhaps higher than I ought to have, since I have sought it out for so long. Still, I can't help but find this beer a touch dull . It's a great beer, and certainly an A but it's no A+ in my book and doesn't quite hold water when placed side-by-side a few other American Hefes like Dancing Man Wheat from New Glarus. Excellent but not quite all it's hyped up to be.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Sort of a hazy lemon juice yellow color with a thick white head that's not afraid to hang out a while.

Slightly musty, phenolic cloves, banana, and a touch of lemon and bubblegum.

The taste is that of a classic German hefe. Fresh ripe banana pudding with a hint of nilla wafer. Light spice and bubblegum as it warms. Not particularly engaging, but without flaws at the same time. It can grow on you though, as it's very smooth and creamy. Making it pretty fun to drink and a solid session beer. Tasted next to the Weihenstephaner they are very similar. For that reason I wouldn't go out of my way to get it, but I am glad I got to try it. There are some random thoughts for ya.

4.35/5  rDev -0.7%

Poured a hazy golden with a nice white head on top. The smell on this very nice-very citrus and spice but has a little medicianl quality to it. Taste is very spcy with the cloves hitting you upfront and the banan and bubble gum flavors coming strong after the spice. Finishes clean with more spice flavor and lemon like citrus. Feels very full in the mouth-not as thin as other hefeweizens. So drinkable especially on a hot Texas day.

I've had this beer many times as I live in Austin. I feel lucky to have it so available it. Going to the Live Oak brewery is a good time as Chip the owner/brewer feels very strongly about traditional flavors especially in his hefe. Great beer and great brewery!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to johnsaulrubio for hooking us up here in wisconsin with a growler. Shared with hu5om in Franziskaner Weizen glasses.

A: gorgeous yellow at bottom with a lazy orange at the top while hazy throughout. a fluffy off-white head tops the pour with incredible retention.

S: yeasty throughout with hints of wheat and bananas interspersed.

T: smooth flavors of wheat, banana, and cloves dance on the tongue ever so briefly before disappearing into a fizzle of yeast. spices leave a lingering aftertaste.

MF/D: an initial sizzle on the tongue that dissipates to a smooth cascade down the throat, a light feeling of foam remains on the lips. the growler went down way too easily between 2 people...

4.72/5  rDev +7.8%

Finally got a growler of this one as I've been dying to try it for awhile. Pours into my glass a hazy sunshine/straw yellow that's quite vibrant. A big inch head of creamy meringue white foam sticks to the top and has great staying power with sticky sheets of lacing as it slowly falls. Aromas begin with crisp wheat malt notes that are immediately engulfed in yeasty esters. Huge banana and clove lead the way with a spicy undertone and hints of bubblegum as well. Bold and fresh, the aroma is intoxicating. The yeast esters explode out of the glass...I can't find a thing wrong with this aroma :-)

First sip brings a smooth, crisp wheat malt upfront that leads into flavors of banana and clove. More light fruity notes move in along with a peppery spice. As it moves down the bubblegum comes out along with a touch of lemon zest and vanilla as well. There's a nice overall sweetness, but it is well placed. It finishes with a smooth yeasty kick that leaves a banana/spice aftertaste. Crisp with an enchanting flavor profile, I can't find any flaws in this brew. One of the best hefeweizens I've sampled without a doubt.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with a smooth creaminess imparted by the malt. Flows down with carbonation that is more towards the mellow side. This brew is extremely drinkable and makes for quite a session beer. Those of you who have regular access to this beer should consider yourselves very lucky, as this is the best American brewed hefeweizen I have ever tasted. Cheers to Live Oak for creating a brew that rivals its German counterparts and many thanks to JDV for supplying me with this tasty treat that I hope to have again.

4.51/5  rDev +3%

served on tap in a pint glass.

A - a great looking golden color with an off-white head

S - some citrus notes, but not overly strong.

T - a bit of a lemon flavor with some spices.

M - not too heavy on the tongue with a light carbonation.

D - this beer is incredibly easy to drink.

3.88/5  rDev -11.4%

Hazy light yellow color with a white head and little retention. Smell of banana, cooked vegetable, bread, and lemon. Taste has some banana, bread, and clove. Higher end of carbonation, thick, but still medium bodied. Pretty drinkable, and a good beer to drink for the summer. Thanks to pepsican for the sample.

4.92/5  rDev +12.3%

Had on tap during a trip to Austin.

Poured a cloudy golden yellow with a nice, white head. The beer smelled of bubblegum, citrus and banana. The taste was very similar with some wheat added in. I have had this beer several times and it is one of the most drinkable beers I have ever had. I have no problem drinking several of them in a row and enjoy every drop.

4.11/5  rDev -6.2%

Had this on tap at Hay Merchant in Houston.

Nice hefeweizen appearance as it was a slightly cloudy yellow and had a pure white head with good lacing. The nose was nice and creamy and had some nice clove notes along with a small hint of banana and lemon peel. The taste pretty much was spot on, slightly bitter which I was surprised at, it could have been simply the carbonation, but great taste otherwise. Nice malt base with caramel malts mixed with the banana and clove, I agree it's better balanced than others in this category, but I actually enjoy a nice banana-y hefe. Great overall beer, light-bodied, very drinkable and very well balanced.

4.15/5  rDev -5.3%

Growler

Thanks for opening this long-time want with me, DarthKostrizer!

Slightly hazed golden and yellow with a moderately-sized, big-bubbled off-white head. This isn't as cloudy as some other hefeweizens I've had, but all in all, this is quite pretty and appropriate.

Balanced, expressive aroma of wheat, some juicy citrus flesh, clove, banana, and orange rind. Well balanced and appropriate.

The flavor is very nice as well and incredibly drinkable. Good amounts of wheat, sweet (citrus), low to moderate bitterness, banana, and some clove come together nicely.

Medium bodied with moderate-high carbonation.

Perhaps the best American-brewed hefeweizen I've ever had.

4.48/5  rDev +2.3%

Thanks to JDV for the chance to try this and it is my first ever Growler beer. Poured into a Crystal Hefe Glass.

A - Wow, I have to say I can't wait to drink this one. It is a golden color which seems to have every hue of yellow in it for m a bright yellow crayon to a dark bronze. Pours with a big creamy white head as well that leaves a bit of lacing.

S - Clove and spice are the big ones here. There is also a hint of banana and pick up that classic bubblegum note as well.

T - A nice zesty lemon and orange really seems to be the main flavor i get at first. After that fades off, get a hint of clove and bubblegum as well. All of the flavors really blend together well and nothing at seems to overpower anything. This is one of those beers that really brings the flavors well but manages to do it in a way that doesn't make one aspect of the beer stand out. Has a light wheat taste that stands out a bit but doesn't make itself known too well. This is one of those beers that doesn't have anything really stand out but I find myself just reaching for another glass after glass since it just sucks you in so well. The more I drank of this, the more the banana flavors also seemed to start to pop out a little more.

MF - Has enough carbonation to help bring the lemon and zest flavor but is not at all overpowering. Has a light body and actually goes down very veltety smooth and creamy. Leaves a light tingling feeling in the mouth as well. Not as bready or thick as some hefes but a lot smoother and easy to go down. The one downside to the feel is that the beer is a bit thinner than I would hope.

D - This is up there on the ultimate session beer list. It goes down super smooth, has a ton of flavor and is just enjoyable to drink. I wish I could get this easier because it would be the everyday beer. I can especially see how people in texas probably pound this stuff back on a hot day as this growler I have will not last very long.

4.57/5  rDev +4.3%

Had courtesy of ChuggyMcBeer, mbudner, and TempsPerdu - thanks!

Pours an opaque yellow-orange color with a foamy one-finger white head. The head recedes into a patchy layer on top leaving decent lacing.

Smells of bananas - and lots of them - with good amounts of clove and a small amount of herbal hop aromas.

Tastes very good. Banana flavors hit right off the bat, but are not as intense as the smell would indicate, leaving plenty of room for the wheat to shine through. Midway through the sip slight grassy flavors accompany cloves and all of these flavors carry on through to a slightly bitter finish.

Mouthfeel is great. It's got a creamy thickness with solid carbonation.

Drinkability is great. I had absolutely no problem finishing my glass and could probably handle a growler of this.

Overall this lived up to the hype. It's a bit heavier than traditional hefe's, but the level of banana and clove flavor does not suffer because of it. Definitely worth a shot.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Ill start off by saying that I am happy to live in Austin and have this beer on tap in the area.

A: Looks like any good hefe, cloudy. It looks good.

S: Smells slightly fruity, like most hefes.

T: Really surprisingly good for an American hefe. You usually do not get ones this good out of breweries in Texas, and I was really impressed by it (along with most people on BA).

M: Smooth

D: Easy drinkability - an easy beer to have on any day. Just wish it was sold in bottles as well....

4.87/5  rDev +11.2%

Many thanks to Steve (a74gent) for knocking this off my wants list and for bringing a growler so I could drink plenty to make an informed review.

This brew comes out looking fantastic and never lets down. A hazy yellow-gold brew that shines even through the haze forms a thick, dense white head about two to three fingers high that really doesn't let up much at all and leaves lots of patchy lacing behind.
My nose doesn't even need to be near the glass for beautiful banana, yeast and clove aromas to make themselves known, backed by a light citrus under a pale, sweet malts and wheat backbone with light citrus hops notes just underneath.
This one's considerably light for being so absolutely flavorful. Plenty of sweetness that isn't cloying balanced by a light lemon zest and gentle hops notes, this is the real deal here as the banana, yeast and cloves remain the prominent flavors and the backbone is wheat with some nice malt presence. This is just exceptional thus far.
The body is nice as well, light to medium with a bit of crispness leading into a moderate smoothness. Carbonation makes this lively without taking anything away after starting off just slightly prickly. There's a touch of dryness in the middle before finishing out nice and sweet.
There's absolutely nothing taking away from the drinkability here, especially with an ABV around 4%. Hypothetically speaking, if I could get a bottle of this and saw it sitting on the shelf next to Weihenstephaner, my only option is to get both. To summarize: this one beats out Weihenstephaner in the sheer beauty and power of the aroma, while giving up half a point (for me) in mouthfeel. Both are absolutely the best examples of the style, making this one the best American hefeweizen I've ever had.

4.45/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Bright golden color with straw yellow hints - whip cream thick head fades slowly coating beyond lacing as it drops
Cloves, Bananas a little bit of corriander and some nice malt compliments waft out of my glass. Also some hints of pepper.
The taste is more mellow than the strong nose. Citrus leads on the front and fade leaving a fine blend of malt and spice. Not too much banana on the pallete. Huge clove close. Big solid mouthfeel. Good for the style, on the heavy end of the scale. Damn fine beer, got a fresh growler, many thanks to JDV, great freshness to the beer overall, If I could get this I would get every week in the summer and sit out on the patio and enjoy.

4.25/5  rDev -3%

Tangerine colored and hazy with about a finger of white head. Great retention and lots of sticky lace.

Strong classic banana and clove mix, but a good maltiness underneath. Think I caught a hint of cinnamon in there too. Other spices anyway. Slightly floral too.

Sweet and caramel malty. The flavor doesn't deviate far from the scent. Slightly acidic. Medium and smooth.

A good brew. Great to see a classic style done so well right here in Texas. I think I'd still take a Paulaner over it, but I've got no complaints with this brew.

4.47/5  rDev +2.1%

Huge thanks to Lee for sending this my way!

A: Pours a hazy straw yellow color with a one finger white head on top, nice retention with minimal lacing.

S: Lots of wheat, banana, and cloves in the aroma. Lots of spice on the back end, Belgian spices, a little bit of bubble gum.

T: Lots more banana mixed with bread and wheat. Plenty of yeast which comes through as some cloves, nutmeg, and faint pepper. A bit of bubblegum comes through at the end.

M: Light to medium bodied with medium carbonation. Extremely smooth and easy drinking.

O: One of the best hefeweizens I have had. Great flavor profile and easy drinking. If only it was easier to get outside of Texas!

4.52/5  rDev +3.2%

growler pour, thanks to Jason (Exiled) for another quality trade. served in a tall Franzi Weiss glass

A - pours over an inch of loose, bubbly and sudsy bright white foam. the beer is cloudy, pale gold in color.

S - bright and lively yeast: banana, citrus, green apples. lightly spiced with clove and cinnamon, some ginger on a bed of wheat and grains.

T - what sets this apart from just about every other Hefe I've had is the balance, instead of being fruit or spice heavy it starts out with some ripe bananas, apples, and citrus notes before turning to the other side. hints of cloves and spice dance upon wheat malt and biscuits, before a crisp and clean grainy finish.

M - body is on the lighter side of the style, with sharp and prickly yet not overdone carbonation. only missing that bit of creaminess you get from others, due to lack of body. finishes with strong lingering fruit, slightly dry and very clean.

D - without a doubt one of the most drinkable beers I've ever had. wonderful, full flavor yet light bodied and a very manageable ABV. this takes some will power to not chug down. great, yet unique example of a classic style. shame its so hard to get.

4.22/5  rDev -3.7%

Pours a bright golden, hazy color with a thick, bright white head.

Spicy vanilla, clove and bananna aroma's.

Tastes of spice, vanilla, bananna and grain.

Mouthfeel is grainy, spicy and slightly crisp.

Very drinkable beer. Not one of my favorite styles but this one had a little something extra. I think the aroma and taste were a bit more complex than a lot of American Heff's that I've tried.

4.15/5  rDev -5.3%

Growler thanks to JonathanL7890, who responded on a Friday and sent it on a Monday, crossing border and delivered to me for Friday supper. Cheers to my weekend highlight. Very tasty hefe, a style itself which is most pleasing. I haven't a vertical tasting with the Town Hall version, fond memories of blowing me away, rather this stands on its own. Tasty,though a tad dry. Very creamy mouthfeel. The head looked great.

4.39/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Eternal gratitude to gawnphishin for sending this wale along.

Poured from a growler into my Ayinger weizenbier glass.

A lovely gradient of golden poppy to golden yellow is cloudy thorughout and capped by a tall fluffy snow white peak which recedes to a lasting slick, fed by slow persistent carbonation. Nice sandy lacing.

Big fresh bready wheat and a hint of lemon zest in the nose - more phenols are present than esters (in the form of clove), though there is a hint of plantain in there as well. Intoxicating.

Light wheat-based tartness initially, followed by banana nut bread mid-palate. An almost floral element comes out as you approach the finish reminding me of chamomile or maybe a delicate white tea. A clean (Pils?) malt note balances out the wheat and leads into a pillowy yet crisp medium-dry finish.

Creamy, lightly effervescent, but a touch light-bodied - the emphasis is on drinkability over body I think (though the structure is still excellent).

Not quite on par with the best of the best German examples (but hey, they've been producing the style for hundreds of years), this is far and away the best domestic version I've sampled - and many will prefer it's balance of phenols in the aroma and esters in the flavor. The perfect warm-weather beer, this.

4.12/5  rDev -5.9%

Huge thanks to xpimptastikx for this one. As a lover of wheat beers, I've wanted to get around to this one for a long time. Poured from a 64oz. growler into a Harpoon Weizen glass.

A: Gentle pour yields a .5 finger foamy white head with little retention that dissipates into a thin film atop a cloudy, lemon yellow beer. Lacing is stringy and spotty with little stick. Average and the cloudiness is forgiven due to the style.

S: Nose is subtle but refreshing. Lemon zest, sweetness from the yeast, some banana, and creamy cane sugar. Not overly rich or impressive but very balanced.

T: Opens lemon zest, various sweet and very mildly tart spiciness. Some banana notes along with a smooth, creamy, yeasty malt backbone. Citrus towards the end with some more sweet spiciness. Finish is yeasty and slightly floral with a grainy and citrus tart aftertaste. Simple but incredibly quenching and refreshing.

M: Light bodied and moderately carbonated. Smooth and slightly watery, but very quenching and satisfying. Goes down with some bubbles. Finish is accented but with a clean, crisp, quick aftertaste. Perfect.

O: Live Oak Hefeweizen isn't overly impressive in terms of appearance or smell but its spot on taste and incredible mouthfeel make it the perfect session beer on a hot summer day. Incredibly drinkable, this might be the one time I thought a 64oz. growler wasn't enough.

4.88/5  rDev +11.4%

After dreaming of tasting the only hefeweizen rated higher than my all-time favorite beer (Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier), I accepted the extraordinarily generous goatgoat's offer to ship me a growler of Live Oak Hefeweizen in return for some local beers. It was worth the wait, and I now owe goatgoat something equally majestic in return.

Appearance: Pours a hazy orange-ish gold in body, with a beautiful three-finger head of off-white foam. Lacing is substantial throughout drinking. This stuff looks exactly the way a hefeweizen should -- there's no watery soapiness, as is found in many American wheat beers.

Smell: Sweet, sweet banana, yeasty bread, and cloves, with a honey-ish undercurrent and a hint of wheaty twang. The aroma of this beer is quite complex (and spot-on for the style), but it's rather subdued and understated. Still, a whiff of this entices the senses and demands that I take a big sip immediately.

Taste: Unbelievably good. Cloves and wholesome banana bread, in beautiful harmony with yeast. I also pick up a substantial vanilla component to the flavor -- something I've never experienced in a hefeweizen, but it fits very well with the rest of the flavor components. There is no evidence of the metallic element present in many hefeweizens, and only the mildest hint of funky wheaty sourness can be found. Alcohol and hops are undetectable, as they should be in a traditional German-style hefeweizen. I still think Weihenstephaner brews the classic example of the style, but this one has a flavor all its own and is still almost perfect. In fact -- and this is near-blasphemy for me -- I think Live Oak's hefeweizen has more character than Weihenstephaner's, and I suspect that its flavor may vary somewhat from batch to batch (whereas Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier tastes the same year after year). At any rate...this Live Oak is awesome, awesome, awesome.

Mouthfeel: While refreshingly brisk in carbonation, Live Oak hefeweizen somehow retains a full, creamy mouthfeel the likes of which I've rarely -- maybe never -- experienced in a wheat beer. This mouthfeel only enhances the wholesome banana- and bread-like characteristics of the beer's smell and flavor, adding up to a mind-bogglingly great drinking experience. Each sip fills the mouth and glides down the throat like meringue.

Drinkability: I would LOVE to drink this on a Texan summer day. Incredibly thirst-quenching and refreshing, yet substantial and satisfying, this may be the ultimate hot-weather beer. (As it happens, I'm drinking it in early March in Atlanta, where it's currently 38 degrees outside...my next quest may be for Live Oak's possibly retired weizenbock.) I assume that the ABV is quite low -- about 5% would be average for the style -- and this only enhances the beer's drinkability. I may attempt to put away this whole growler over the next several hours, and I think I can do so without adverse consequences. This is a testament to the beer's overwhelmingly appealing flavor and drinkability, both of which are enhanced by the low ABV.

In pondering this beer's quality (and its high rating on this site), something occurred to me: every hefeweizen I've ever had on tap has benefitted greatly from that serving type. Maybe it's because the yeast is constantly stirred up when the beer's served that way, and maybe there are other factors, but it's apparent to me that every hefeweizen tastes noticeably better on tap than poured from the bottle.

With that in mind, I can't help but wonder if Live Oak hefeweizen would still be this good if they bottled it and shipped it out...I guess we may never know. But it bears mentioning that perhaps the reason for Live Oak hefeweizen's legendary quality lies in the fact that it is ONLY available on tap, and it therefore reaps the benefits of that serving style. I'd like to try this side-by-side with freshly-tapped Weihenstephaner, and then I'd like to try a bottle of this (if such a thing existed) side-by-side with a bottle of Weihenstephaner. I don't know which beer would win.

Regardless, in its present form, this is America's greatest hefeweizen. An extraordinary brew, it truly lives up to the hype. Worth trading for -- and probably worth a trip to Texas.

to view more.