Live Oak HefeWeizen - Live Oak Brewing Company

Live Oak HefeWeizenLive Oak HefeWeizen

Live Oak Brewing Company visit their website
Texas, United States

Hefeweizen |  5.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-07-2003)
Reviews by scootny:
4.88/5  rDev +11.2%

A great beer to start my reviews with. So I crack the growler from JonathanL7890. Thank You Sooo Muuuch. As a Hefe lover I'm salivating and holding my expectations in check. Here goes...

WOW! A beautiful orangey gold that I cannot see through, a little murk in the glass. A thick creamy head rises and parks itself atop the brew as it sits in my Sisson's weiss glass ( My standard for hefe reviews as it may not be fair to use specific glasses unless you have them all ). Carbonation bubbles are present but not overly active. Five or seven minutes later it recedes to a thin layer that remains through the consumption. Beautiful lacing decorates my drinking vessel.

My nose is enticed by a mix of banana esters and spicy notes in the back of the throat. A deep wheat malt aroma cuts in and out between yeasty lemony notes and I smile in anticipation. Citrus and cloves tease the olfactory to the point of no return. I pick up the glass.

GLUG, banana and wheat malt. GLUG, lemon, and bubblegum. GLUG, clove and pepperyness. . GLUG, fruity yeast featuring a mild tart to sour apple and maybe light grape with mild hops in the finish, drying the palate in preparation for the next deep mouthful. Banana and malt linger deliciously. Is that a vanilla note? Yes. Sweetly dry. Help!! I'm hooked!! The flavors swirl in and out in a beautiful dance on my tounge. My nose quivers with each taste. Imagine the perfect hefe taste profile. Think of every one you've had and take your favorite aspects of them. Put them together. This is what I'm drinking. What you drink hefe for, it's all in this glass. One growler is barely enough.

The mouthfeel is a sublimely weighted light medium. Creamy velvet in its texture. Carbonation never detracts but is present in all the right ways, keeping the mouth tickled and alive.

Drinkable? Are you kidding? This is the paradigm of a quaffable, session beer. Bring it on!!

More, More, More!!! I agree with vitopeperoni. Buy some kind of dwelling in Austin and move. Great town, music scene, and incredible brewing ( too bad Pierre Celis is gone ). If you are a hefe hound, get this beer at any cost.

4.49/5  rDev +2.3%

Hazy golden beer. Light ripe banana notes and bubblegum with heavy clove and spicy tastes. Refreshing mouthfeel and easy drinking brew.

4.18/5  rDev -4.8%

On tap at the Draught House in Austin, TX in a nonic glass and at the Alamo Draft House on Lamar in several pint glasses.

Pours a hazed yellow cake color, on the lighter side of many hefes with a healthy white head that comes in just a touch too light and bubbly for me. I like the head on my Hefes a little more sticky, then again, this could be the result of poor glass choice at both locations I drank this.

Aroma is fresh and clean but lighter than I would like. Banana notes are moderate but spice notes, particularly cloves, are very light. A more generic fruity yeastiness is more pronounce.

Taste is also on the light side flavor wise. Banana and touches of spice mixed with a general breadiness.

Mouthfeel: Light, clean, fresh, crisp (I know that is weird in a Hefe but this one is), and airy.

Drinkability: Out of the ballpark. This beer has absolutely no negative traits, no off-flavors, no adjuncts. It is remarkably clean an refined, especially for an American brewery. Add those qualities to its refreshingly light body and you have a real winner in this category. This is an ideal sometime session beer.

Overall, I am mildly disappointed in Live Oak Hefe for a couple of reasons. Naturally, I have held this beer on a high pedestal, perhaps higher than I ought to have, since I have sought it out for so long. Still, I can't help but find this beer a touch dull . It's a great beer, and certainly an A but it's no A+ in my book and doesn't quite hold water when placed side-by-side a few other American Hefes like Dancing Man Wheat from New Glarus. Excellent but not quite all it's hyped up to be.

4.4/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Sort of a hazy lemon juice yellow color with a thick white head that's not afraid to hang out a while.

Slightly musty, phenolic cloves, banana, and a touch of lemon and bubblegum.

The taste is that of a classic German hefe. Fresh ripe banana pudding with a hint of nilla wafer. Light spice and bubblegum as it warms. Not particularly engaging, but without flaws at the same time. It can grow on you though, as it's very smooth and creamy. Making it pretty fun to drink and a solid session beer. Tasted next to the Weihenstephaner they are very similar. For that reason I wouldn't go out of my way to get it, but I am glad I got to try it. There are some random thoughts for ya.

4.38/5  rDev -0.2%

Poured a hazy golden with a nice white head on top. The smell on this very nice-very citrus and spice but has a little medicianl quality to it. Taste is very spcy with the cloves hitting you upfront and the banan and bubble gum flavors coming strong after the spice. Finishes clean with more spice flavor and lemon like citrus. Feels very full in the mouth-not as thin as other hefeweizens. So drinkable especially on a hot Texas day.

I've had this beer many times as I live in Austin. I feel lucky to have it so available it. Going to the Live Oak brewery is a good time as Chip the owner/brewer feels very strongly about traditional flavors especially in his hefe. Great beer and great brewery!

4.4/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to johnsaulrubio for hooking us up here in wisconsin with a growler. Shared with hu5om in Franziskaner Weizen glasses.

A: gorgeous yellow at bottom with a lazy orange at the top while hazy throughout. a fluffy off-white head tops the pour with incredible retention.

S: yeasty throughout with hints of wheat and bananas interspersed.

T: smooth flavors of wheat, banana, and cloves dance on the tongue ever so briefly before disappearing into a fizzle of yeast. spices leave a lingering aftertaste.

MF/D: an initial sizzle on the tongue that dissipates to a smooth cascade down the throat, a light feeling of foam remains on the lips. the growler went down way too easily between 2 people...

4.7/5  rDev +7.1%

Finally got a growler of this one as I've been dying to try it for awhile. Pours into my glass a hazy sunshine/straw yellow that's quite vibrant. A big inch head of creamy meringue white foam sticks to the top and has great staying power with sticky sheets of lacing as it slowly falls. Aromas begin with crisp wheat malt notes that are immediately engulfed in yeasty esters. Huge banana and clove lead the way with a spicy undertone and hints of bubblegum as well. Bold and fresh, the aroma is intoxicating. The yeast esters explode out of the glass...I can't find a thing wrong with this aroma :-)

First sip brings a smooth, crisp wheat malt upfront that leads into flavors of banana and clove. More light fruity notes move in along with a peppery spice. As it moves down the bubblegum comes out along with a touch of lemon zest and vanilla as well. There's a nice overall sweetness, but it is well placed. It finishes with a smooth yeasty kick that leaves a banana/spice aftertaste. Crisp with an enchanting flavor profile, I can't find any flaws in this brew. One of the best hefeweizens I've sampled without a doubt.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with a smooth creaminess imparted by the malt. Flows down with carbonation that is more towards the mellow side. This brew is extremely drinkable and makes for quite a session beer. Those of you who have regular access to this beer should consider yourselves very lucky, as this is the best American brewed hefeweizen I have ever tasted. Cheers to Live Oak for creating a brew that rivals its German counterparts and many thanks to JDV for supplying me with this tasty treat that I hope to have again.

4.25/5  rDev -3.2%

4.53/5  rDev +3.2%

served on tap in a pint glass.

A - a great looking golden color with an off-white head

S - some citrus notes, but not overly strong.

T - a bit of a lemon flavor with some spices.

M - not too heavy on the tongue with a light carbonation.

D - this beer is incredibly easy to drink.

3.9/5  rDev -11.2%

Hazy light yellow color with a white head and little retention. Smell of banana, cooked vegetable, bread, and lemon. Taste has some banana, bread, and clove. Higher end of carbonation, thick, but still medium bodied. Pretty drinkable, and a good beer to drink for the summer. Thanks to pepsican for the sample.

Live Oak HefeWeizen from Live Oak Brewing Company