Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Live Oak HefeWeizen - Live Oak Brewing Company

Live Oak HefeWeizenLive Oak HefeWeizen

Live Oak Brewing Company visit their website
Texas, United States

Hefeweizen |  5.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-07-2003

Reviews: 378 | Hads: 1,237

In Houston on business, I figured this would be my chance to give this a try. Staying on the outskirts of town, so I stopped at a very well stocked store - lots of TX beers, but no Live Oak. Cashier is well versed and tells me the brewery does not bottle. hmmm - Hefe in the too 100 is unusual enough, but one not distributed. I'm wondering if a little home team cheering might be at work. But undaunted I set off for the Flying Saucer to track it down, and glad I am. Perhaps the best hefe I've had, besting the German leaders. Perfect blend of malt and yeast flavors without too much banana or clove.

Perfect example of the style and the best American Hefeweizen. Possibly the best American take on a German style period. Aromatic and perfectly balanced banana and clove notes. I routinely make a 4 hour trek to Texas just to have this on tap.

Don't know what to say really other than this beer is perfect. Trying to describe its perfection would be a futile exercise. Just know that this is the best beer in the world of this style and one that I would drink everyday for the rest of my life. One of my all-time favorites.

Had this on tap last night. This is my favorite session beer and the best hefeweizen I have had in the US by far. Simply amazing.
Pours light brown very cloudy with a small bit of foam.
Aroma: A bit of clove combined with a delicate floral scent.
Taste: cloves, bready, banana, slight amount of hops.
Mouthfeel: chewy, a little sweet. There's some graininess to this beer. How do they do that? The incredible mouthfeel of this sets this hefe apart from all the others.
drinkability: very refreshing beer. Super drinkable. Good year around.

This is the only beer I have gave a perfect score so far and it deserves it.

“Don’t look for Live Oak at 7-11 anytime soon” remarked brewer Chip McElroy when asked if his draught only offerings were going to be bottled.

Focus is a good thing.

Live Oak’s Hefeweizen is a state treasure and the ne plus ultra of Hefeweizens.
Appearance, Smell, Taste, Mouthfeel, Drinkability all score the highest marks one can rate a beer.

This is Live Oak’s flagship beer and their dedication to quality keeps paying off, as you can taste the spice and fruit flavors while enjoying the aroma like the best meal you’ve ever had.

Larry McMurtry was quoted as having said that “Only a rank degenerate would drive 1,500 miles across Texas without eating a chicken fried steak.”

I would say that only a rank degenerate would come to Texas and not have a Live Oak Hefeweizen.

New keg on tap at The Dog & Duck, Austin. I've had this a few times around Austin, including the green keg at the brewery during the Austin April BA event (see Larry's and Rick's reviews). Brewer Chip McElroy says there are no immediate plans to bottle any of the Live Oak brews.

The beer is an opaque yellow-orange. It sort of looks like a mixture of orange juice and pineapple juice. Some fine natural carbonation snakes up the sides of the glass. With a conservative pour the head is small, white, coarse and dies to a thin ring pretty quickly. (An aggressive pour gives a huge head, but it still settles pretty quickly).

The nose is mostly citrus, with cloves and a banana inhale. Citrus and spice dominate the front. A tangy middle gives way to a somewhat dry finish highlighting corn, spice and a bready yeasty flavor. This beer is always absolutely delicious. Call me "infidel", but this is my all-time favorite Hefe.

Believe Da Hype. Best HefeWeizen I have ever had. It even puts the German Originals to shame! Seriosuly. On-Tap *MANY* times at the gingerman in Austin, Texas. Light/ruddy golden yellow with a nice frothy head of white that lasts and leaves great German lacing. My glass is adorned with a lemon, wtf!? let's try this one sans lemon first. Aromas are all classic hefe. Banana, spicy yeast, clove, a bit of lemon, etc. Not overly complex nor bland. Just right in the middle and *perfect*. Taste follows through in a big way. Big brash wheaty hefe flavors of banana, cloves, citrus, and other spices just balance each other out into a bready, wheaty, yeasty masterpiece of drinkability. Mouthfeel is smooth just the right weight and perfect. Drinkability would be a 6 if I could rate it above 5. Just for the hell of it I drank this one with the lemon too, as it seems that's how all the locals drink it down here in the 100 degree Texas heat. All the lemon did was accentuate the citrus flavors already present in this awe-inspiring beer, and cut some of the grainy wheaty flavors that are awesome. It's amazing either way, you can't hurt this beer. This beer is the man. I don't even want to give it a 5, because I thought I would never, ever, give a hefe a 5! Hefes arent even my favorite style of brew anymore at all and they havent been for a while! It doesn't matter at all though, just like moonlights reality czech garnered a 5 rating from me as well, this beer is just the perfect example of this style. Hefe can not get any better than this and so it gets the big 5 from me. Just drink this whenever you get the chance. Drink it all up, because you will miss it when it is not available to you anymore. Sure the bar I drank a bunch of this in had about 80 other beers on tap. so what! Everytime I walked through the doors, I was pretty much ordereing 1,2,3, or more of these beauties...I was only in Texas for a few days, and by the time I left everyone knew this was "my beer". I wish it could be "my beer" here at home, but it can't be so i'll just be happy I got to quaff a bunch of this in the capital of Texas, and plan my next trip with a two day layover in Austin! Live Oak may not be the best brewery in the world, or even on the continent, or even in the country, or even in the state of Texas!, but as far as I am concerned they brew the best hefe in the world!

This is my 241st review and only my third perfect five. This is the epitome of the style as it poured a beautifully lightly cloudy caramel color with a massive light off-white head. The aromas of bananas, clove, and light wheat notes bellowed from this beer. The taste was a very creamy repeat of the aroma with a smoothness out of this world. This was a medium bodied beer and it drinks down with way too much ease! We were told that this batch was young, but how can it get any better?!?! Live Oak is a brewery that makes some quality brews! Cheers to this Texas brewery!

Damn. I hate giving perfect scores, makes me sound like a rank amateur cheerleading his Friday-night standard. But sorry, I must remain true to my standards and admit that this brew has earned my first ever straight all-fives. Overall, an absolutely flawless product.

Pours cloudy and golden. The aroma comes out to welcome you with esters all over along with faint yeast and bubble gum, a little cream butter as well.

The taste is thick, rich, bready with a buttery sweetness. The flavors are mild with banana, white pepper and cloves present in the background, not overpowering. Subtlety is the watchword and fresh is best. Texture is smooth and velvety with a moderately heavy mouthfeel.

Balance is what earns this brew a perfect score. I've had fresh hefeweizens with strong fruit and clove elements but this beer is so delicately made so as flavors come together in a symphony instead of individual components. Even as it warmed in a plastic cup, the flavors remained nuanced and complementary, never turning or tiring towards the inevitable warmer end. Nothing dominates, thus everything works. The palate never tires and I could drink this all day.

Cheers to BeerAngel for his tip on enjoying this fresh from the source. I owe him a beer for this new favorite of mine.

Poured into a crystal pilsner glass - Served at cellar temperature
Growler traded to me by gueuzelover - Big thanks, now lets rock

Appearance: This beer pours a quite cloudy yellow and orange color. I would call it golden. The head hits about an inch and a quarter and is white in color. The head is heavy and unforgiving, and leaves a long trail of lace behind. Swirling creates even more lace that doesn't go anywhere. A pattern remains stationary on the crystal sides. Very nice.

Smell: Spicy clove strikes first, with some banana and fresh licorice (the cherry flavored kind). This is great. A sweet floral aroma is there, ah yes, it's lavendar. Gingerbread, banana bread and almond oil. Quite complex. This could be one of the best smelling beers I've ever laid my nose into. It starts out sweet and spicy, but with further inspection there is some minty and herbal qualities to it.

Taste: Sweet banana bread. Wow, this is a pretty viscous beer for a Hefe! Clove is a definite flavor. Others include, almond, pecan, pale malt, lemon peel, and a sprinkle of fresh ground pepper. I can say that this one is surely complex. At first I thought this one might need more sugar, but as it warms I am able to taste the sugars. Moreover, I can actually appreciate the way the beer tastes since the sugar isn't at all cloying. Highly complex and flawless thusfar.

Mouthfeel: As stated above, I can't believe the body on this beer. The sight of the haze kind of clued me in to the viscousity, but I was still a little surprised. It is very coating in the mouth and has a perfect amount of sugar and spice. Alcohol is barely noticable.

Drinkability: I am blown away by this beer. It hits on all levels. It's such a shame that this couldn't be more widely available (please bottle it). My biggest dilemna is if I should give it all fives or not. But I can't really point out any flaws in it. Moreso, what's so impressive about this beer is that these low alcohol, drinkable beers prove difficult to perfect. What makes it better is that it's meant to be consumed in mass quantities, in the heat of summer. Most of the best beers on this site are well over 6% abv. My hat goes off to Live Oak for making such a spectacular beer. I am now disappointed that this will probably be my last taste of this delicious beer for awhile. Seek this out, it's worth the effort.

Pours a cloudy bright golden sunrise color with a tall and frothy white head that slowly dissipates in segments leaving a thick and rocky lace behind that coats the walls of the glass with glistening spider webs. Nose is rich creamy banana, sweet bubblegum, fruity esters, and a bit of spicy clove. It has a very smooth and creamy texture that seems to be just perfect in the mouth. The taste, like the aroma, is rather bold in nature with juicy ripe banana, spicy clove, and vanilla followed by a bit of white pepper. Simply delicious. Drinkability approaches infinity. This is a truly magnificent beer.

World class! A great Hefe in the Bavarian tradition. My only critique of this beer is it is not available in most locations outside of Texas and it is not bottled and exported. When I visit Austin I drink nothing else...yeah, it's that good.

I'd like to second my fellow Texas BAs in their plaudits for this stellar beer.

The Live Oak Hefe Weizen arrives at my table looking as perfect as a hefe can look. It's a shining, yet cloudy, gold...it has a vibrant white head...and it's highly carbonated.

The aromas are, as you could guess, typical of a true hefe weizen...bubblegum, cloves and the famous banana. I would add that the aroma is very strong, which is a little different from some German hefes I've had.

The flavor is just wonderful. The spiciness is not overpowering, which it shouldn't be. Instead it combines with a fruity sweetness. The aromas are also found in the taste. If I could invent such a meter, I'd say the balance found in the aroma is present in the taste as well. It's just great.

This is a wonderful beer, the finest to come from Texas.

I drank this beer during a tour of the brewery. We had free choice of all the beers that they brewed. After a taste of the others, I could not get enough of this beer. The beer was a perfect cloudy golden with a great head. We were told this beer was too green, but my oh my. The head unlocked a bouquet of fruity aroma. The bananas. The cloves. Almost too much to take in at one time. The taste was a match for the aroma. It was bold. It was in your face. It was just what I had come to love about German hefes. The mouthfeel was full and creamy and the bubbles played with my tongue. This is probably the best beer I have had since coming back from Germany in May 2002.

4.97/5  rDev +13.5%

Thanks to geuzelover for making this one happen.

This beer pours a milky gold that fades from nearly a pasty brown to gold near the edges of my weizen glass. The head is a clean eggshell film that leaves behind a bit of drippy lace. There are a lot of bubbles rising up through the glass that can barely be discerned through the cloudiness.

Smells sweet and creamy with a touch of bubble gum, cream of wheat and a citrus-less orange juice (mostly sweet with little sting) and a dry pasty creaminess. Mmmm.

Tastes of whole milk, wheat dinner rolls, banana and a touch of butter with a spritz of lemon zest and coriander making for a dry, well rounded finish.

This one has a nice, thick, full mouthfeel that compliments the milky character. Although it's thick, its refreshingly clean.

Wow. An optimal beer for dinner. It gets even better when I stop thinking about it and just tip it back. This can go toe to toe with ANYTHING from Bavaria.

4.97/5  rDev +13.5%

Draft at the Addison Flying Saucer

A: Pours a hazy yellow with a big white head that fades and leaves a good bit of lacing on the glass.

S: The nose is full of lots of banana, cloves, and wheat with a slight bubblegum aroma as well.

T: The taste is the best I've had in a hefe. Loads of banana, cloves, and bubblegum. The finish lasts for a while and is slightly spicey but mainly sweet and refreshing.

M: Really creamy and on the lower end of medium bodied.

D: I could drink this all the time if it wasn't available only on draft. World class hefe and highly recommended.

4.95/5  rDev +13%

A long time target short list want provided with great speed by a wonderful stand-up BA that I will just randomly send beer to from now on.

Poured from a growler into a wheat beer glass. I was nervous about the growler but when I cranked the top I heard the tell tale "HISS" of carbon escaping and a weight was lifted off my shoulders. Beer is dark yellow and completely opaque, huge haze to it. It forms an aggressive and full head of small to medium bubbles that leaves a lot of lacing on the glass. Carbonation is steady and moderate. This beer looks beautiful.

The aroma is in your face with this beer. Its not quite like a wheat wine but it pushes that boundary for sure. Strong banana and cloves. Completely fills my face with this aroma. I could smell it from a couple of feet away. It is SO good.

Wonderful flavor as well. First, this is the most drinkable beer I've ever had. Greater than 5 IMO. Medium body, slightly more body than I was expecting, but its still wonderful. Some good sweetness up front and a lot of good flavor in the back with a nice wheaty feeling to it. Great ester characters throughout the palate and beer. Gets better the more you drink. Just spectacular. The carbonation give the beer a slight sourness that helps connectivitiy. This is seriously one of the best BEERS I have ever had.

This is seriously one of my favorite beers. I should look into getting a keg of this because I would make it my daily drinker. Its a cruel set of circumstances that I am in DC and this beer is in Austin. I have an outstanding ISO Live Oak Hefeweizen out from now on.

4.93/5  rDev +12.6%

Got in a growler thanks to Tofuspeedstar. Been wanting to try this for a while.

A-completely unfiltered. Opaque. Amber with a 2 finger fluffy white head. I've had other unfiltered hefe's but this one looked best from all I've tried. Lots of carbonation which was expected.

S-bananas, cloves, some pepper, citrus notes. Some wheat bread notes. Yeast tartness.

T-just like the smell. But better. More citrus than the smell, tad bit less banana. Nice clove and wheat flavor. Tart yeast balances it all out. Completely refreshing. Perfect beer

M-this is the only time I wish it was 90 degrees outside. The mouthfeel is perfect. So light and refreshing. Perfect carbonation. This in the middle of summer would be perfect.

O-my wallet is thankful this isn't available to me. I'd buy it year round. I drank a 32 oz growler way too quick. Sessionable as hell and just perfect. This may be the best beer to come out of Texas.

4.92/5  rDev +12.3%

Had on tap during a trip to Austin.

Poured a cloudy golden yellow with a nice, white head. The beer smelled of bubblegum, citrus and banana. The taste was very similar with some wheat added in. I have had this beer several times and it is one of the most drinkable beers I have ever had. I have no problem drinking several of them in a row and enjoy every drop.

4.92/5  rDev +12.3%

Thanks goes out to chadspivey for this exceptional brew.

Poured into a Ayinger glass a nice cloudy golden orange/yellow color, nice carbonation, nice three finger creamy white head which lasted a little while, then left some sticky lacing. The nose is malty, nice touch of yeast, spicey, cloves, and banannas. The taste is fabulous, mostly malts, wheat, yeast, cloves, and some banannas. Nice slightly dry finish. Medium body. Very drinkable, this is an exceptional Hefe, the best I've had to date, hands down. An excellent thirst quencher for a hot day in Utah. Highly recommended.

4.92/5  rDev +12.3%

Sampled on-tap at Cricket's in Waco, TX. Once without lemon, once with (though discarded quickly). Normally I'm not a huge fan of American Hefes, but this an exception.

Appearance: Golden, with almost a pearly opaque appearance from the yeast (looks like a mid-log phase culture). While it's not the most dense hefe in terms of yeast that I've ever seen, it's still up there.

Smell: The aroma is very strong. Strong notes of bubblegum, cloves and banana.

Taste: This is very complex, right up there with the German Hefes I've had. Notes of clove, citrus and banana, not too overpowering. My friends have said bubblegum, but I find that to be mostly on the nose.

Mouthfeel: Smooth and creamy, moderately carbonated.

Drinkability: A great beer to drink on hot summer days, or anytime for that matter. I'll probably have several more of these before I head back to Boston.

Overall: This is the first American Hefe that I've had that really nails the style. Probably one of my favorite hefes. I only wish I could get this in Boston.

4.92/5  rDev +12.3%

Screw-cap growler, kindly shared by BA-brother mikesgroove on 02.18.08... A huge thanks to Mike for hooking me up since he knew this was my style of preference. Let's see if this one lives up to the hype.

Dense and translucent in its hazy golden appearance. Cloudy as can be, and I am loving every minute of it. Thick, pillowy 2-inch head sat firmly atop this brew. Great lacing throughout the length of the glass. One whiff tells the story... Huge notes of freshly mowed wheat, real vanilla, and of course the standard banana and clove esthers. Smooth on the palate, the banana, vanilla, and clove flavors follow suit. I am not certin which yeast strain Live Oak used, but I am almost certain it is the quintessential strain for this style. Amazingly smooth and quaffable.

Hands down, the best domestically made Bavarian Hefeweizen with perhaps with only Sly Fox's Royal Weisse as its nearest competitor. Solid, balanced, and unGodly drinkable. Fantastic, etherial, and otherwise otherworldly. You must seek this one out.

Zum wohl!

4.92/5  rDev +12.3%

Poured into a wheat glass from a growler. The pale, cloudy golden body is topped by a thick, three inch white head that crowns over the top of the glass, only slowly diminishing over time. The head is clearly supported by a lot of active carbonation.

The aroma is a spicy, phenolic aroma, filled with notes of clove and banana. Really fresh smelling. Quite perfect and on course for the traditional style. Potent as well, so this gets the highest markings.

This hefe has a gentle, soft medium to light body, with a perfect amount of carbonation for the style. It's almost to the point of being creamy. There are flavors of sweet wheat, and just similar touches of clove and banana in the aftertaste and exhale. But the finish is on the drier side, with little to no residual sweetness. Bitterness is extremely low, and there is almost no hop presence at all in this beer. I can't say enough about the excellent flavor here. So sweet, yet without the sugar. Delicious flavor of the Bavarian Hefe yeast and fresh wheat mixed together.

Fantastic beer all around. So damn drinkable, and so on point with the style that I find it hard to believe that they don't win every GABF year. Very impressed with this, and to be sure, it even exceeds what many German breweries are putting out there. Well worth seeking out!!

4.9/5  rDev +11.9%

Ok, so I have been waiting to try this one forever. Much thanks goes out to JDV for hooking me up with a trade on this. Been waiting for a certain BA to get off his butt and meet me to split this one, and finally got around to it last night. In the great company of goindownsouth, his wife, and our favorite bartender Meg, we all split this growler with dinner. This was a really fun night.

Appearance - So this one poured out absolutely wonderfully, words cannot express how god this actually was, but I will do my best to give it a shot here. The pour was very lively, dumping a very rich, sediment filled bright liquid into the glass. The color was a little heavier then your typical golden yellow, some light peach tones in it, mostly due to the haze. This was such a hazy and cloudy beer, it was literally insane how much sediment there was floating around in here, it was nearly opaque from it, but enough light got through to really show off the colors very well. A beautiful three finger high head of lace formed on top. A very nice pillow of white, that hung around for what seemed like forever before settling down to just a thin film across the top which lasted for the rest of the session Deep white foamy lace was dripping all over the sides of the glass here, really thickening up as you went through. Some carbonation visible streaming up from the bottom to reinforce this as well. Now as far as Hefe's go, I have never seen one like this, I could not have imagined this looking any better, really just superb. The end of the growler was thick and chunky from so much settling down( your welcome Dan).

Smell - The aroma on this was insane. Again I have to say this was like a whole new style for me, as it opened my eyes as to what these should taste like, not the bland, light and utterly dull American version of a Hefe I am used to, this was nuts. Huge aromas coming off of this one, from the moment we unscrewed the cap. A deep rich banana flavor overtook me right away, and dominated the senses, mixed in with this were hints of vanilla, and peach, which I was clearly able to pick up right away. Some very nice notes of cloves and even a touch of vanilla were all readily picked up, and though for me it was the fresh banana that stole the show. As it warmed a little, I was starting to get those nice light notes of fresh wheat and grain mixing in now. Overall fantastic, I cannot imagine this smelling and better or any more inviting, dare I say perfect.

Taste - The flavor continued on right where the aroma left off, with one important change though, it was actually better! It is really hard to even put into words how good this was, and I am glad I am not alone in this judgment, as I am sure all who were there will attest to. This was just fantastic. Huge notes of banana and cloves come ripping right out of the gate. There was nothing harsh about this as every flavor was so intricately separate and distinct, yet at the same time, it was all effortlessly blended together. I was detecting lots of peach like notes, light fruit of various types, even hints of apricot now mingling in with the banana, which really just did not quit. There were wild grain notes weaving in and out of the profile now, giving it even more depth then it already had. Some very nice hints of vanilla now rounding it out towards the finish. The finish was nice and clean, with a touch of crispness to it. Flavor did not linger long, what did linger was a nice light fruity note, which was just outstanding and really sealed the deal for this one, at least for me. Again, I could not picture this tasting and better or any more complex then it did. I tried to describe the flavor as best I could, but to be honest, it was beyond description.

Mouthfeel - The feel on this was so light and airy. Very good profile here with not even the slightest bit of watering down or thinness to it at all. The carbonation level was top notch, in fact, it almost felt as if it was getting better as the session wore on, simply amazing. Great smooth and extremely clean feeling, this was just great. Nice finish as well, very well done.

Drinkability - Cannot imagine this getting any better here at all. I mean c'mon what was there here not too like. The flavors were intense, yet inviting, the carbonation was never dull, low ABV, well pretty much none, and a wonderful sense of smoothness. To say I could drink this forever would be about right. I could not imagine this one getting dull in anyway. Really very good.

Overall I think I have said how good this was enough here, but one more time, this was simply stated one of the best beers I have ever had, hands down. I love the bigger, intense beers we all crave, but sometimes you need something like this to bring you back to your roots, to show what can be done in the normal range, and how complex a style that can at times seem so simple and overdone, can really become. I was literally blown away by this.

4.9/5  rDev +11.9%

One of the best beers I've ever had. Everything you want in a solid hefeweizen; smooth, iconic golden haze, great banana and clove taste and smell, and an alcohol content that quickly catches up with you. I assume they don't bottle it to preserve the flavor but it ia absolutely worth going out for. This will always be in my top 3.

Live Oak HefeWeizen from Live Oak Brewing Company