Live Oak HefeWeizen - Live Oak Brewing Company

Live Oak HefeWeizenLive Oak HefeWeizen

Live Oak Brewing Company visit their website
Texas, United States

Hefeweizen |  5.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-07-2003)
View: Beers (18) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Live Oak HefeWeizen Alström Bros
LarryKemp

I drank this beer during a tour of the brewery. We had free choice of all the beers that they brewed. After a taste of the others, I could not get enough of this beer. The beer was a perfect cloudy golden with a great head. We were told this beer was too green, but my oh my. The head unlocked a bouquet of fruity aroma. The bananas. The cloves. Almost too much to take in at one time. The taste was a match for the aroma. It was bold. It was in your face. It was just what I had come to love about German hefes. The mouthfeel was full and creamy and the bubbles played with my tongue. This is probably the best beer I have had since coming back from Germany in May 2002.

05-29-2003 19:27:02 | More by LarryKemp
illy0sis

05-14-2013 22:18:17 | More by illy0sis
DarkerTheBetter

4.97/5  rDev +13.5%

Thanks to geuzelover for making this one happen.

This beer pours a milky gold that fades from nearly a pasty brown to gold near the edges of my weizen glass. The head is a clean eggshell film that leaves behind a bit of drippy lace. There are a lot of bubbles rising up through the glass that can barely be discerned through the cloudiness.

Smells sweet and creamy with a touch of bubble gum, cream of wheat and a citrus-less orange juice (mostly sweet with little sting) and a dry pasty creaminess. Mmmm.

Tastes of whole milk, wheat dinner rolls, banana and a touch of butter with a spritz of lemon zest and coriander making for a dry, well rounded finish.

This one has a nice, thick, full mouthfeel that compliments the milky character. Although it's thick, its refreshingly clean.

Wow. An optimal beer for dinner. It gets even better when I stop thinking about it and just tip it back. This can go toe to toe with ANYTHING from Bavaria.

02-05-2008 15:50:28 | More by DarkerTheBetter
GregSVT

4.97/5  rDev +13.5%

Draft at the Addison Flying Saucer

A: Pours a hazy yellow with a big white head that fades and leaves a good bit of lacing on the glass.

S: The nose is full of lots of banana, cloves, and wheat with a slight bubblegum aroma as well.

T: The taste is the best I've had in a hefe. Loads of banana, cloves, and bubblegum. The finish lasts for a while and is slightly spicey but mainly sweet and refreshing.

M: Really creamy and on the lower end of medium bodied.

D: I could drink this all the time if it wasn't available only on draft. World class hefe and highly recommended.

02-21-2010 07:20:08 | More by GregSVT
drabmuh

Maryland

4.95/5  rDev +13%

A long time target short list want provided with great speed by a wonderful stand-up BA that I will just randomly send beer to from now on.

Poured from a growler into a wheat beer glass. I was nervous about the growler but when I cranked the top I heard the tell tale "HISS" of carbon escaping and a weight was lifted off my shoulders. Beer is dark yellow and completely opaque, huge haze to it. It forms an aggressive and full head of small to medium bubbles that leaves a lot of lacing on the glass. Carbonation is steady and moderate. This beer looks beautiful.

The aroma is in your face with this beer. Its not quite like a wheat wine but it pushes that boundary for sure. Strong banana and cloves. Completely fills my face with this aroma. I could smell it from a couple of feet away. It is SO good.

Wonderful flavor as well. First, this is the most drinkable beer I've ever had. Greater than 5 IMO. Medium body, slightly more body than I was expecting, but its still wonderful. Some good sweetness up front and a lot of good flavor in the back with a nice wheaty feeling to it. Great ester characters throughout the palate and beer. Gets better the more you drink. Just spectacular. The carbonation give the beer a slight sourness that helps connectivitiy. This is seriously one of the best BEERS I have ever had.

This is seriously one of my favorite beers. I should look into getting a keg of this because I would make it my daily drinker. Its a cruel set of circumstances that I am in DC and this beer is in Austin. I have an outstanding ISO Live Oak Hefeweizen out from now on.

01-25-2010 18:30:13 | More by drabmuh
Johnnyramirez

4.94/5  rDev +12.8%

Got in a growler thanks to Tofuspeedstar. Been wanting to try this for a while.

A-completely unfiltered. Opaque. Amber with a 2 finger fluffy white head. I've had other unfiltered hefe's but this one looked best from all I've tried. Lots of carbonation which was expected.

S-bananas, cloves, some pepper, citrus notes. Some wheat bread notes. Yeast tartness.

T-just like the smell. But better. More citrus than the smell, tad bit less banana. Nice clove and wheat flavor. Tart yeast balances it all out. Completely refreshing. Perfect beer

M-this is the only time I wish it was 90 degrees outside. The mouthfeel is perfect. So light and refreshing. Perfect carbonation. This in the middle of summer would be perfect.

O-my wallet is thankful this isn't available to me. I'd buy it year round. I drank a 32 oz growler way too quick. Sessionable as hell and just perfect. This may be the best beer to come out of Texas.

04-07-2013 15:50:50 | More by Johnnyramirez
Mora2000

4.93/5  rDev +12.6%

Had on tap during a trip to Austin.

Poured a cloudy golden yellow with a nice, white head. The beer smelled of bubblegum, citrus and banana. The taste was very similar with some wheat added in. I have had this beer several times and it is one of the most drinkable beers I have ever had. I have no problem drinking several of them in a row and enjoy every drop.

04-19-2008 20:14:12 | More by Mora2000
Wasatch

Utah

4.93/5  rDev +12.6%

Thanks goes out to chadspivey for this exceptional brew.

Poured into a Ayinger glass a nice cloudy golden orange/yellow color, nice carbonation, nice three finger creamy white head which lasted a little while, then left some sticky lacing. The nose is malty, nice touch of yeast, spicey, cloves, and banannas. The taste is fabulous, mostly malts, wheat, yeast, cloves, and some banannas. Nice slightly dry finish. Medium body. Very drinkable, this is an exceptional Hefe, the best I've had to date, hands down. An excellent thirst quencher for a hot day in Utah. Highly recommended.

07-28-2007 20:21:15 | More by Wasatch
EPICAC

4.93/5  rDev +12.6%

Sampled on-tap at Cricket's in Waco, TX. Once without lemon, once with (though discarded quickly). Normally I'm not a huge fan of American Hefes, but this an exception.

Appearance: Golden, with almost a pearly opaque appearance from the yeast (looks like a mid-log phase culture). While it's not the most dense hefe in terms of yeast that I've ever seen, it's still up there.

Smell: The aroma is very strong. Strong notes of bubblegum, cloves and banana.

Taste: This is very complex, right up there with the German Hefes I've had. Notes of clove, citrus and banana, not too overpowering. My friends have said bubblegum, but I find that to be mostly on the nose.

Mouthfeel: Smooth and creamy, moderately carbonated.

Drinkability: A great beer to drink on hot summer days, or anytime for that matter. I'll probably have several more of these before I head back to Boston.

Overall: This is the first American Hefe that I've had that really nails the style. Probably one of my favorite hefes. I only wish I could get this in Boston.

10-01-2005 19:33:00 | More by EPICAC
goindownsouth

4.93/5  rDev +12.6%

Screw-cap growler, kindly shared by BA-brother mikesgroove on 02.18.08... A huge thanks to Mike for hooking me up since he knew this was my style of preference. Let's see if this one lives up to the hype.

Dense and translucent in its hazy golden appearance. Cloudy as can be, and I am loving every minute of it. Thick, pillowy 2-inch head sat firmly atop this brew. Great lacing throughout the length of the glass. One whiff tells the story... Huge notes of freshly mowed wheat, real vanilla, and of course the standard banana and clove esthers. Smooth on the palate, the banana, vanilla, and clove flavors follow suit. I am not certin which yeast strain Live Oak used, but I am almost certain it is the quintessential strain for this style. Amazingly smooth and quaffable.

Hands down, the best domestically made Bavarian Hefeweizen with perhaps with only Sly Fox's Royal Weisse as its nearest competitor. Solid, balanced, and unGodly drinkable. Fantastic, etherial, and otherwise otherworldly. You must seek this one out.

Zum wohl!

02-19-2008 01:25:59 | More by goindownsouth
MusicaleMike

4.93/5  rDev +12.6%

Poured into a wheat glass from a growler. The pale, cloudy golden body is topped by a thick, three inch white head that crowns over the top of the glass, only slowly diminishing over time. The head is clearly supported by a lot of active carbonation.

The aroma is a spicy, phenolic aroma, filled with notes of clove and banana. Really fresh smelling. Quite perfect and on course for the traditional style. Potent as well, so this gets the highest markings.

This hefe has a gentle, soft medium to light body, with a perfect amount of carbonation for the style. It's almost to the point of being creamy. There are flavors of sweet wheat, and just similar touches of clove and banana in the aftertaste and exhale. But the finish is on the drier side, with little to no residual sweetness. Bitterness is extremely low, and there is almost no hop presence at all in this beer. I can't say enough about the excellent flavor here. So sweet, yet without the sugar. Delicious flavor of the Bavarian Hefe yeast and fresh wheat mixed together.

Fantastic beer all around. So damn drinkable, and so on point with the style that I find it hard to believe that they don't win every GABF year. Very impressed with this, and to be sure, it even exceeds what many German breweries are putting out there. Well worth seeking out!!

10-28-2013 08:32:18 | More by MusicaleMike
UGADawgGuy

Georgia

4.9/5  rDev +11.9%

After dreaming of tasting the only hefeweizen rated higher than my all-time favorite beer (Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier), I accepted the extraordinarily generous goatgoat's offer to ship me a growler of Live Oak Hefeweizen in return for some local beers. It was worth the wait, and I now owe goatgoat something equally majestic in return.

Appearance: Pours a hazy orange-ish gold in body, with a beautiful three-finger head of off-white foam. Lacing is substantial throughout drinking. This stuff looks exactly the way a hefeweizen should -- there's no watery soapiness, as is found in many American wheat beers.

Smell: Sweet, sweet banana, yeasty bread, and cloves, with a honey-ish undercurrent and a hint of wheaty twang. The aroma of this beer is quite complex (and spot-on for the style), but it's rather subdued and understated. Still, a whiff of this entices the senses and demands that I take a big sip immediately.

Taste: Unbelievably good. Cloves and wholesome banana bread, in beautiful harmony with yeast. I also pick up a substantial vanilla component to the flavor -- something I've never experienced in a hefeweizen, but it fits very well with the rest of the flavor components. There is no evidence of the metallic element present in many hefeweizens, and only the mildest hint of funky wheaty sourness can be found. Alcohol and hops are undetectable, as they should be in a traditional German-style hefeweizen. I still think Weihenstephaner brews the classic example of the style, but this one has a flavor all its own and is still almost perfect. In fact -- and this is near-blasphemy for me -- I think Live Oak's hefeweizen has more character than Weihenstephaner's, and I suspect that its flavor may vary somewhat from batch to batch (whereas Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier tastes the same year after year). At any rate...this Live Oak is awesome, awesome, awesome.

Mouthfeel: While refreshingly brisk in carbonation, Live Oak hefeweizen somehow retains a full, creamy mouthfeel the likes of which I've rarely -- maybe never -- experienced in a wheat beer. This mouthfeel only enhances the wholesome banana- and bread-like characteristics of the beer's smell and flavor, adding up to a mind-bogglingly great drinking experience. Each sip fills the mouth and glides down the throat like meringue.

Drinkability: I would LOVE to drink this on a Texan summer day. Incredibly thirst-quenching and refreshing, yet substantial and satisfying, this may be the ultimate hot-weather beer. (As it happens, I'm drinking it in early March in Atlanta, where it's currently 38 degrees outside...my next quest may be for Live Oak's possibly retired weizenbock.) I assume that the ABV is quite low -- about 5% would be average for the style -- and this only enhances the beer's drinkability. I may attempt to put away this whole growler over the next several hours, and I think I can do so without adverse consequences. This is a testament to the beer's overwhelmingly appealing flavor and drinkability, both of which are enhanced by the low ABV.

In pondering this beer's quality (and its high rating on this site), something occurred to me: every hefeweizen I've ever had on tap has benefitted greatly from that serving type. Maybe it's because the yeast is constantly stirred up when the beer's served that way, and maybe there are other factors, but it's apparent to me that every hefeweizen tastes noticeably better on tap than poured from the bottle.

With that in mind, I can't help but wonder if Live Oak hefeweizen would still be this good if they bottled it and shipped it out...I guess we may never know. But it bears mentioning that perhaps the reason for Live Oak hefeweizen's legendary quality lies in the fact that it is ONLY available on tap, and it therefore reaps the benefits of that serving style. I'd like to try this side-by-side with freshly-tapped Weihenstephaner, and then I'd like to try a bottle of this (if such a thing existed) side-by-side with a bottle of Weihenstephaner. I don't know which beer would win.

Regardless, in its present form, this is America's greatest hefeweizen. An extraordinary brew, it truly lives up to the hype. Worth trading for -- and probably worth a trip to Texas.

03-02-2009 21:53:01 | More by UGADawgGuy
bluemoonswoon

4.9/5  rDev +11.9%

Have been looking forward to trying this beer for a long time, since about the time a joined BA actually and xpimptastikx hooked me up big time with this much wanted brew.

From a growler, poured into a weizen glass

A: Glowing orange and golden staw clouded by the dustiest flakes of yeast I've ever seen, I let this sit in the fridge for a couple of days and it's like the yeast particles have completly integrated themselves into the beer itself. The only knock I have on this beer is the lack of lacing and that huge head, but this color is really something out of this world.

S: The beer has survived the journey from tap to glass and I am greeted with a heavenly fresh aroma of coriander and orange peel, super sweet orange juice and pineapple juice mixed together, super creamy orange but not like that fake orange cream soda aroma that you are probably thinking about, I mean this smells like someone spilled a glass of pineapple orange juice on a freshly baked and buttered biscuit, really. Thick doughy aromas combine

T/MF: Rich and thick, sweet ceral grain mixes with a subtle spicness and mild estery and floral fruit flavors. Feel is smooth and a bit tingly on the tongue but finishes clean and begs to be sipped again. Given some time to warm even more comes out: nutmeg, a pinch of cinnamon and finally that good old fashioned bananna that we always hear so much about. I'm not even done with my first glass and already I'm ready for another. I really don't think I am doing the beer justice here. I mean I can go on and say that the beer has this or that and it might sound like not a BFD, but it is, this beer is amazing, it's like this beer takes the idea of a hefeweizen and notches up everything you have come to expect from the style, everything is just a bit brighter, a bit deeper and richer, the flavors more pronounced and complex. I could go on but then I wouldn't be drinking my beer.

D: Reading a few reviews I was worried that the growler would not have survived the trip across state lines and I would be left with a subpar and possibly flat beer, but my fears were put to rest and my expectations exceeded. this beer deserves more hype than it already has. Thanks again Michael.

12-20-2008 02:16:19 | More by bluemoonswoon
mikesgroove

South Carolina

4.9/5  rDev +11.9%

Ok, so I have been waiting to try this one forever. Much thanks goes out to JDV for hooking me up with a trade on this. Been waiting for a certain BA to get off his butt and meet me to split this one, and finally got around to it last night. In the great company of goindownsouth, his wife, and our favorite bartender Meg, we all split this growler with dinner. This was a really fun night.

Appearance - So this one poured out absolutely wonderfully, words cannot express how god this actually was, but I will do my best to give it a shot here. The pour was very lively, dumping a very rich, sediment filled bright liquid into the glass. The color was a little heavier then your typical golden yellow, some light peach tones in it, mostly due to the haze. This was such a hazy and cloudy beer, it was literally insane how much sediment there was floating around in here, it was nearly opaque from it, but enough light got through to really show off the colors very well. A beautiful three finger high head of lace formed on top. A very nice pillow of white, that hung around for what seemed like forever before settling down to just a thin film across the top which lasted for the rest of the session Deep white foamy lace was dripping all over the sides of the glass here, really thickening up as you went through. Some carbonation visible streaming up from the bottom to reinforce this as well. Now as far as Hefe's go, I have never seen one like this, I could not have imagined this looking any better, really just superb. The end of the growler was thick and chunky from so much settling down( your welcome Dan).

Smell - The aroma on this was insane. Again I have to say this was like a whole new style for me, as it opened my eyes as to what these should taste like, not the bland, light and utterly dull American version of a Hefe I am used to, this was nuts. Huge aromas coming off of this one, from the moment we unscrewed the cap. A deep rich banana flavor overtook me right away, and dominated the senses, mixed in with this were hints of vanilla, and peach, which I was clearly able to pick up right away. Some very nice notes of cloves and even a touch of vanilla were all readily picked up, and though for me it was the fresh banana that stole the show. As it warmed a little, I was starting to get those nice light notes of fresh wheat and grain mixing in now. Overall fantastic, I cannot imagine this smelling and better or any more inviting, dare I say perfect.

Taste - The flavor continued on right where the aroma left off, with one important change though, it was actually better! It is really hard to even put into words how good this was, and I am glad I am not alone in this judgment, as I am sure all who were there will attest to. This was just fantastic. Huge notes of banana and cloves come ripping right out of the gate. There was nothing harsh about this as every flavor was so intricately separate and distinct, yet at the same time, it was all effortlessly blended together. I was detecting lots of peach like notes, light fruit of various types, even hints of apricot now mingling in with the banana, which really just did not quit. There were wild grain notes weaving in and out of the profile now, giving it even more depth then it already had. Some very nice hints of vanilla now rounding it out towards the finish. The finish was nice and clean, with a touch of crispness to it. Flavor did not linger long, what did linger was a nice light fruity note, which was just outstanding and really sealed the deal for this one, at least for me. Again, I could not picture this tasting and better or any more complex then it did. I tried to describe the flavor as best I could, but to be honest, it was beyond description.

Mouthfeel - The feel on this was so light and airy. Very good profile here with not even the slightest bit of watering down or thinness to it at all. The carbonation level was top notch, in fact, it almost felt as if it was getting better as the session wore on, simply amazing. Great smooth and extremely clean feeling, this was just great. Nice finish as well, very well done.

Drinkability - Cannot imagine this getting any better here at all. I mean c'mon what was there here not too like. The flavors were intense, yet inviting, the carbonation was never dull, low ABV, well pretty much none, and a wonderful sense of smoothness. To say I could drink this forever would be about right. I could not imagine this one getting dull in anyway. Really very good.

Overall I think I have said how good this was enough here, but one more time, this was simply stated one of the best beers I have ever had, hands down. I love the bigger, intense beers we all crave, but sometimes you need something like this to bring you back to your roots, to show what can be done in the normal range, and how complex a style that can at times seem so simple and overdone, can really become. I was literally blown away by this.

02-20-2008 11:18:00 | More by mikesgroove
acoatley

On tap crickets Waco

Sweet aroma is that bubble gum I detect mmmm yeasty beasty, tastes of a little clove but more banana. Nice lacy head. Etches out its own nitch and flavour without exitng the style guidlines. Hop flavor is very low to none. Cloudy but just right for the style. Golden straw in colour. excelent body.

10-29-2005 02:19:00 | More by acoatley
mynie

Indiana

4.9/5  rDev +11.9%

Gigantically mad ups to xpimptastikx for shipping out a growler of this. There is nothing, NOTHING, more wonderful than having a growler reach you safe and sound. And it's one of them fancy growlers with a special freshness lock cap, too.

Pours as beautifully as any hefe could. Maybe a little better, actually. It's been a while since I've come across a really gorgeous wheat beer, but this one resembles duvel with its cloudy yellow sunshine body and gigantic, foamy white head. It's like frosting, or some kind of delicious soup. Or, actually it's even better than those since it's beer.

Smells just a complex as the very best hefes I've ever had, but maybe a little bit more intense. Cloves, banana, white pepper, the usual suspects, but there's also some wonderful citrus complexities in there.

Tastes even more complex, even more perfectly smooth and balanced. God damn! Wheatmalt dominates, of course, starting off generically beery in a nice way (like Weihenstephaner), moving into a sweeter, spicecake middle of cloves, lemon zest, white pepper, vanilla and orange. This lingers for a while and its ends, amazingly, with a distinct but light hop finish that ties everything together like a cherry on a sundae.

Nothing outrageous, nothing huge, just a perfectly executed example of its style. Believe the hype. I'm honestly upset at myself for not applying to Texas' grad program, now...

05-15-2009 00:55:50 | More by mynie
hero27

4.9/5  rDev +11.9%

Growler sent courtesy of BeerZack. Thanks again!

Pours a cloudy, pale orange...modest head of off-white froth clings to the sides of the glass. The aroma of orange peel & cloves explodes from the growler as soon as the screw-cap comes off...I think I'm in for a treat.

Ripe banana, oranges, lemon flavors are just superb. Cloves are abundant & delicious. The wheat just goes perfectly with the fruit & spices used here.
Flavors are all very strong & prominent, certainly the most flavorful hefe I can remember trying. I'm curious as to the abv of this..around 5-6% would be my guess. That being said, it is incredibly easy to drink and I know the bold flavors kept enticing me to take another sip as soon as I put the glass down.

A remarkable beer in many aspects. Very glad I was lucky enough to be able to try it. Who do I have to talk to at the brewery to get this stuff bottled??

11-12-2007 00:11:54 | More by hero27
Brenden

4.88/5  rDev +11.4%

Many thanks to Steve (a74gent) for knocking this off my wants list and for bringing a growler so I could drink plenty to make an informed review.

This brew comes out looking fantastic and never lets down. A hazy yellow-gold brew that shines even through the haze forms a thick, dense white head about two to three fingers high that really doesn't let up much at all and leaves lots of patchy lacing behind.
My nose doesn't even need to be near the glass for beautiful banana, yeast and clove aromas to make themselves known, backed by a light citrus under a pale, sweet malts and wheat backbone with light citrus hops notes just underneath.
This one's considerably light for being so absolutely flavorful. Plenty of sweetness that isn't cloying balanced by a light lemon zest and gentle hops notes, this is the real deal here as the banana, yeast and cloves remain the prominent flavors and the backbone is wheat with some nice malt presence. This is just exceptional thus far.
The body is nice as well, light to medium with a bit of crispness leading into a moderate smoothness. Carbonation makes this lively without taking anything away after starting off just slightly prickly. There's a touch of dryness in the middle before finishing out nice and sweet.
There's absolutely nothing taking away from the drinkability here, especially with an ABV around 4%. Hypothetically speaking, if I could get a bottle of this and saw it sitting on the shelf next to Weihenstephaner, my only option is to get both. To summarize: this one beats out Weihenstephaner in the sheer beauty and power of the aroma, while giving up half a point (for me) in mouthfeel. Both are absolutely the best examples of the style, making this one the best American hefeweizen I've ever had.

10-04-2010 14:55:39 | More by Brenden
scootny

4.88/5  rDev +11.4%

A great beer to start my reviews with. So I crack the growler from JonathanL7890. Thank You Sooo Muuuch. As a Hefe lover I'm salivating and holding my expectations in check. Here goes...

WOW! A beautiful orangey gold that I cannot see through, a little murk in the glass. A thick creamy head rises and parks itself atop the brew as it sits in my Sisson's weiss glass ( My standard for hefe reviews as it may not be fair to use specific glasses unless you have them all ). Carbonation bubbles are present but not overly active. Five or seven minutes later it recedes to a thin layer that remains through the consumption. Beautiful lacing decorates my drinking vessel.

My nose is enticed by a mix of banana esters and spicy notes in the back of the throat. A deep wheat malt aroma cuts in and out between yeasty lemony notes and I smile in anticipation. Citrus and cloves tease the olfactory to the point of no return. I pick up the glass.

GLUG, banana and wheat malt. GLUG, lemon, and bubblegum. GLUG, clove and pepperyness. . GLUG, fruity yeast featuring a mild tart to sour apple and maybe light grape with mild hops in the finish, drying the palate in preparation for the next deep mouthful. Banana and malt linger deliciously. Is that a vanilla note? Yes. Sweetly dry. Help!! I'm hooked!! The flavors swirl in and out in a beautiful dance on my tounge. My nose quivers with each taste. Imagine the perfect hefe taste profile. Think of every one you've had and take your favorite aspects of them. Put them together. This is what I'm drinking. What you drink hefe for, it's all in this glass. One growler is barely enough.

The mouthfeel is a sublimely weighted light medium. Creamy velvet in its texture. Carbonation never detracts but is present in all the right ways, keeping the mouth tickled and alive.

Drinkable? Are you kidding? This is the paradigm of a quaffable, session beer. Bring it on!!

More, More, More!!! I agree with vitopeperoni. Buy some kind of dwelling in Austin and move. Great town, music scene, and incredible brewing ( too bad Pierre Celis is gone ). If you are a hefe hound, get this beer at any cost.

03-23-2008 21:45:53 | More by scootny
halfwaytoheaven

4.88/5  rDev +11.4%

To start, I must mention that this is my first beer review, so forgive me if I lack the vocabulary to properly describe the experience, but I felt so inspired to share after tasting this beer.

Served on tap, in a mug, at a Mangia in Austin, accompanying some fries and a deep dish pizza. The wheat crust turned out to be a pretty good pairing with the beer (the pizza was fantastic, by the way). The beer was served with a slice of lemon (!) on the rim of the glass. I gently removed the offending fruit before proceeding.

The beer is yellow in appearance, cloudy, yet sunny, and with a very even appearance throughout. The head was moderate, very white and fluffy. It hung around for a minute or so before settling down a bit, but never quite went away. Lacing was also moderate.

The beer smelled of wheat, of course, but not as much citric as one would expect (particularly considering the lemon). A very distinct herbal aroma as well.

Again, the taste is of wheat, slight citrus, with an herbal aftertaste.

The mouthfeel is incredible - much better than any wheat beer I've ever tried. Not too thin, not too heavy. Fizziness is minimal. It feels like eating bread fresh out of the oven.

The alcohol content wasn't particularly noticeable - I could definitely drink three or four of these in one night, circumstances permitting. A smooth, yet hearty beer.

While my experience with the style is, regrettably, somewhat limited, this is definitely the best Hefe Weizen I've ever had. Highly recommended to anyone who find themselves in Austin or anywhere else they can get this stuff on tap. Not available in bottles, mores the pity, but whatever they need to do to keep producing this quality is well worth it.

02-20-2007 03:55:25 | More by halfwaytoheaven
RblWthACoz

4.88/5  rDev +11.4%

I'm not sure if giving a thank you to Ballewblake for this is good enough for getting to try this beer. But hey. I did let the dude sleep on my couch when he visited NYC.

Pours a fully clouded orange with a white-ish head. Nose is a nice balance of banana and cloves. I'm not going to sit here and talk about the finer points and complexities of the flavor. It's smooth. It's damn smooth. It's smooth beyond description really. Sure there is the citric tones. The banana. The spices. The blah blee blah. To me this is just one that I don't really want to overly ponder. I just want to drink it. Until about 2027. Feel is extremely smooth on liquid and carbonation. This is one of the best beers I've ever had as far as drinkability. If I had everyday access to this, I would drink it non-stop. So well balanced.

This is a prime example of the skill that American brewers have progressed to. Do what you must to try this beer, but make sure you get it. It's pretty amazing stuff.

06-21-2008 07:03:42 | More by RblWthACoz
HopsKeepDroppin

4.88/5  rDev +11.4%

Poured from 64 oz growler into Saint Arnold pint glass.

A- Pours a hazy straw color with 2 inches of creamy white head. Tons of lacing.

S- Wheat, a little banana and clove but they are well balanced and not overpowering.

T- Light banana and clove flavor that follows the smell. This is the best American-made hefeweizen I've had by far. Every flavor that should be there is there.

M- Nice creamy mouthfeel that really fits the style.

O- Flat out one of the best hefeweizens I've ever had. I would think this brewery was located in Munich before I'd assume it was located in Austin. Well done Live Oak!

02-16-2012 09:46:56 | More by HopsKeepDroppin
STEG

4.88/5  rDev +11.4%

A wonderful way to start the weekend courtesy of jefferz5000 poured into a mikasa heff glass. Pours a nice cloudy orange yellow hue with a fluffy head that recedes fairly quickly to a collar and a light patch of bubbles in the middle of the collar. Smell is outstanding, i was smelling this stuff on the pour. Its very aromatic with bubblegum orange a light wheat character and some coriander and pineapple too. Taste is really nice as well, more of the same here but with some lemon thrown in. Mouthfeel is light and airy and fairly dry. I could drink this all day long given the abv, overall lightness and the wonderful taste and smell.

08-06-2010 23:08:57 | More by STEG
TheManiacalOne

Rhode Island

4.85/5  rDev +10.7%

Acquired via trade from jtortorice, so a big "Thank You" goes out to him. Poured from a 64oz growler into a weizen glass.

A: The beer is a cloudy gold color, with a short white head that fades quickly and leaves a thin lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is of wheat, bananas, spices, citrus, light caramelized malts and a touch of hops.

T: The taste starts out bready with strong flavors of wheat and yeast. Then some sweet flavors of bananas, spices and citrus come in. The malt character is hearty but not too heavy and there's a mild but complementary hops presence that help provide a very good balance. The after-taste is slightly bready and slightly sweet.

M: Crisp and very smooth, medium body, medium carbonation, finish is clean.

D: Very tasty, goes down quite easily, not too filling, mild kick, very good representation of style, this is an excellent sessionable beer with all of the flavor and substance that make it worth drinking for an entire evening.

06-19-2010 01:18:33 | More by TheManiacalOne
Biermaedchen

4.85/5  rDev +10.7%

appearance
pours a deep golden yellow topped by a fluffy white head measuring between a finger and a finger and a half with strong retention.

smell
smells better than any hefe I’ve ever snuffed. Notes of ripened bananas, sweet vanilla and far from overpowering clove scents with hints of citrus, & nutmeg too. Very complex & inviting, and very pleasant.

taste
Delicate and flavourful- easy to drink a lot of! It tastes like it smells and the head lends a smooth creaminess. Bananas are dominant and other citrus flavors present with a nice almost spicy clove after taste.

mouthfeel
very smooth, medium bodied with perfect carbonation

overall
hands down my favorite hefe

Big fan of Live Oak beers and this one is definitely a favorite. Great to drink anywhere with hot summer temperatures- not to high in ABV but still flavorful and easy to drink. I highly recommend anyone who is in Austin or visiting to go on their Brewery tour

06-09-2011 20:26:15 | More by Biermaedchen