Live Oak HefeWeizen - Live Oak Brewing Company

Live Oak HefeWeizenLive Oak HefeWeizen

Live Oak Brewing Company visit their website
Texas, United States

Hefeweizen |  5.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-07-2003)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Live Oak HefeWeizen Alström Bros

Damn. I hate giving perfect scores, makes me sound like a rank amateur cheerleading his Friday-night standard. But sorry, I must remain true to my standards and admit that this brew has earned my first ever straight all-fives. Overall, an absolutely flawless product.

Pours cloudy and golden. The aroma comes out to welcome you with esters all over along with faint yeast and bubble gum, a little cream butter as well.

The taste is thick, rich, bready with a buttery sweetness. The flavors are mild with banana, white pepper and cloves present in the background, not overpowering. Subtlety is the watchword and fresh is best. Texture is smooth and velvety with a moderately heavy mouthfeel.

Balance is what earns this brew a perfect score. I've had fresh hefeweizens with strong fruit and clove elements but this beer is so delicately made so as flavors come together in a symphony instead of individual components. Even as it warmed in a plastic cup, the flavors remained nuanced and complementary, never turning or tiring towards the inevitable warmer end. Nothing dominates, thus everything works. The palate never tires and I could drink this all day.

Cheers to BeerAngel for his tip on enjoying this fresh from the source. I owe him a beer for this new favorite of mine.

Poured into a crystal pilsner glass - Served at cellar temperature
Growler traded to me by gueuzelover - Big thanks, now lets rock

Appearance: This beer pours a quite cloudy yellow and orange color. I would call it golden. The head hits about an inch and a quarter and is white in color. The head is heavy and unforgiving, and leaves a long trail of lace behind. Swirling creates even more lace that doesn't go anywhere. A pattern remains stationary on the crystal sides. Very nice.

Smell: Spicy clove strikes first, with some banana and fresh licorice (the cherry flavored kind). This is great. A sweet floral aroma is there, ah yes, it's lavendar. Gingerbread, banana bread and almond oil. Quite complex. This could be one of the best smelling beers I've ever laid my nose into. It starts out sweet and spicy, but with further inspection there is some minty and herbal qualities to it.

Taste: Sweet banana bread. Wow, this is a pretty viscous beer for a Hefe! Clove is a definite flavor. Others include, almond, pecan, pale malt, lemon peel, and a sprinkle of fresh ground pepper. I can say that this one is surely complex. At first I thought this one might need more sugar, but as it warms I am able to taste the sugars. Moreover, I can actually appreciate the way the beer tastes since the sugar isn't at all cloying. Highly complex and flawless thusfar.

Mouthfeel: As stated above, I can't believe the body on this beer. The sight of the haze kind of clued me in to the viscousity, but I was still a little surprised. It is very coating in the mouth and has a perfect amount of sugar and spice. Alcohol is barely noticable.

Drinkability: I am blown away by this beer. It hits on all levels. It's such a shame that this couldn't be more widely available (please bottle it). My biggest dilemna is if I should give it all fives or not. But I can't really point out any flaws in it. Moreso, what's so impressive about this beer is that these low alcohol, drinkable beers prove difficult to perfect. What makes it better is that it's meant to be consumed in mass quantities, in the heat of summer. Most of the best beers on this site are well over 6% abv. My hat goes off to Live Oak for making such a spectacular beer. I am now disappointed that this will probably be my last taste of this delicious beer for awhile. Seek this out, it's worth the effort.

Pours a cloudy bright golden sunrise color with a tall and frothy white head that slowly dissipates in segments leaving a thick and rocky lace behind that coats the walls of the glass with glistening spider webs. Nose is rich creamy banana, sweet bubblegum, fruity esters, and a bit of spicy clove. It has a very smooth and creamy texture that seems to be just perfect in the mouth. The taste, like the aroma, is rather bold in nature with juicy ripe banana, spicy clove, and vanilla followed by a bit of white pepper. Simply delicious. Drinkability approaches infinity. This is a truly magnificent beer.

World class! A great Hefe in the Bavarian tradition. My only critique of this beer is it is not available in most locations outside of Texas and it is not bottled and exported. When I visit Austin I drink nothing else...yeah, it's that good.

I'd like to second my fellow Texas BAs in their plaudits for this stellar beer.

The Live Oak Hefe Weizen arrives at my table looking as perfect as a hefe can look. It's a shining, yet cloudy, gold...it has a vibrant white head...and it's highly carbonated.

The aromas are, as you could guess, typical of a true hefe weizen...bubblegum, cloves and the famous banana. I would add that the aroma is very strong, which is a little different from some German hefes I've had.

The flavor is just wonderful. The spiciness is not overpowering, which it shouldn't be. Instead it combines with a fruity sweetness. The aromas are also found in the taste. If I could invent such a meter, I'd say the balance found in the aroma is present in the taste as well. It's just great.

This is a wonderful beer, the finest to come from Texas.

I drank this beer during a tour of the brewery. We had free choice of all the beers that they brewed. After a taste of the others, I could not get enough of this beer. The beer was a perfect cloudy golden with a great head. We were told this beer was too green, but my oh my. The head unlocked a bouquet of fruity aroma. The bananas. The cloves. Almost too much to take in at one time. The taste was a match for the aroma. It was bold. It was in your face. It was just what I had come to love about German hefes. The mouthfeel was full and creamy and the bubbles played with my tongue. This is probably the best beer I have had since coming back from Germany in May 2002.

4.97/5  rDev +13.2%

Thanks to geuzelover for making this one happen.

This beer pours a milky gold that fades from nearly a pasty brown to gold near the edges of my weizen glass. The head is a clean eggshell film that leaves behind a bit of drippy lace. There are a lot of bubbles rising up through the glass that can barely be discerned through the cloudiness.

Smells sweet and creamy with a touch of bubble gum, cream of wheat and a citrus-less orange juice (mostly sweet with little sting) and a dry pasty creaminess. Mmmm.

Tastes of whole milk, wheat dinner rolls, banana and a touch of butter with a spritz of lemon zest and coriander making for a dry, well rounded finish.

This one has a nice, thick, full mouthfeel that compliments the milky character. Although it's thick, its refreshingly clean.

Wow. An optimal beer for dinner. It gets even better when I stop thinking about it and just tip it back. This can go toe to toe with ANYTHING from Bavaria.

4.97/5  rDev +13.2%

Draft at the Addison Flying Saucer

A: Pours a hazy yellow with a big white head that fades and leaves a good bit of lacing on the glass.

S: The nose is full of lots of banana, cloves, and wheat with a slight bubblegum aroma as well.

T: The taste is the best I've had in a hefe. Loads of banana, cloves, and bubblegum. The finish lasts for a while and is slightly spicey but mainly sweet and refreshing.

M: Really creamy and on the lower end of medium bodied.

D: I could drink this all the time if it wasn't available only on draft. World class hefe and highly recommended.

4.95/5  rDev +12.8%

A long time target short list want provided with great speed by a wonderful stand-up BA that I will just randomly send beer to from now on.

Poured from a growler into a wheat beer glass. I was nervous about the growler but when I cranked the top I heard the tell tale "HISS" of carbon escaping and a weight was lifted off my shoulders. Beer is dark yellow and completely opaque, huge haze to it. It forms an aggressive and full head of small to medium bubbles that leaves a lot of lacing on the glass. Carbonation is steady and moderate. This beer looks beautiful.

The aroma is in your face with this beer. Its not quite like a wheat wine but it pushes that boundary for sure. Strong banana and cloves. Completely fills my face with this aroma. I could smell it from a couple of feet away. It is SO good.

Wonderful flavor as well. First, this is the most drinkable beer I've ever had. Greater than 5 IMO. Medium body, slightly more body than I was expecting, but its still wonderful. Some good sweetness up front and a lot of good flavor in the back with a nice wheaty feeling to it. Great ester characters throughout the palate and beer. Gets better the more you drink. Just spectacular. The carbonation give the beer a slight sourness that helps connectivitiy. This is seriously one of the best BEERS I have ever had.

This is seriously one of my favorite beers. I should look into getting a keg of this because I would make it my daily drinker. Its a cruel set of circumstances that I am in DC and this beer is in Austin. I have an outstanding ISO Live Oak Hefeweizen out from now on.

4.94/5  rDev +12.5%

Got in a growler thanks to Tofuspeedstar. Been wanting to try this for a while.

A-completely unfiltered. Opaque. Amber with a 2 finger fluffy white head. I've had other unfiltered hefe's but this one looked best from all I've tried. Lots of carbonation which was expected.

S-bananas, cloves, some pepper, citrus notes. Some wheat bread notes. Yeast tartness.

T-just like the smell. But better. More citrus than the smell, tad bit less banana. Nice clove and wheat flavor. Tart yeast balances it all out. Completely refreshing. Perfect beer

M-this is the only time I wish it was 90 degrees outside. The mouthfeel is perfect. So light and refreshing. Perfect carbonation. This in the middle of summer would be perfect.

O-my wallet is thankful this isn't available to me. I'd buy it year round. I drank a 32 oz growler way too quick. Sessionable as hell and just perfect. This may be the best beer to come out of Texas.

4.93/5  rDev +12.3%

Had on tap during a trip to Austin.

Poured a cloudy golden yellow with a nice, white head. The beer smelled of bubblegum, citrus and banana. The taste was very similar with some wheat added in. I have had this beer several times and it is one of the most drinkable beers I have ever had. I have no problem drinking several of them in a row and enjoy every drop.

4.93/5  rDev +12.3%

Thanks goes out to chadspivey for this exceptional brew.

Poured into a Ayinger glass a nice cloudy golden orange/yellow color, nice carbonation, nice three finger creamy white head which lasted a little while, then left some sticky lacing. The nose is malty, nice touch of yeast, spicey, cloves, and banannas. The taste is fabulous, mostly malts, wheat, yeast, cloves, and some banannas. Nice slightly dry finish. Medium body. Very drinkable, this is an exceptional Hefe, the best I've had to date, hands down. An excellent thirst quencher for a hot day in Utah. Highly recommended.

4.93/5  rDev +12.3%

Sampled on-tap at Cricket's in Waco, TX. Once without lemon, once with (though discarded quickly). Normally I'm not a huge fan of American Hefes, but this an exception.

Appearance: Golden, with almost a pearly opaque appearance from the yeast (looks like a mid-log phase culture). While it's not the most dense hefe in terms of yeast that I've ever seen, it's still up there.

Smell: The aroma is very strong. Strong notes of bubblegum, cloves and banana.

Taste: This is very complex, right up there with the German Hefes I've had. Notes of clove, citrus and banana, not too overpowering. My friends have said bubblegum, but I find that to be mostly on the nose.

Mouthfeel: Smooth and creamy, moderately carbonated.

Drinkability: A great beer to drink on hot summer days, or anytime for that matter. I'll probably have several more of these before I head back to Boston.

Overall: This is the first American Hefe that I've had that really nails the style. Probably one of my favorite hefes. I only wish I could get this in Boston.

4.93/5  rDev +12.3%

Screw-cap growler, kindly shared by BA-brother mikesgroove on 02.18.08... A huge thanks to Mike for hooking me up since he knew this was my style of preference. Let's see if this one lives up to the hype.

Dense and translucent in its hazy golden appearance. Cloudy as can be, and I am loving every minute of it. Thick, pillowy 2-inch head sat firmly atop this brew. Great lacing throughout the length of the glass. One whiff tells the story... Huge notes of freshly mowed wheat, real vanilla, and of course the standard banana and clove esthers. Smooth on the palate, the banana, vanilla, and clove flavors follow suit. I am not certin which yeast strain Live Oak used, but I am almost certain it is the quintessential strain for this style. Amazingly smooth and quaffable.

Hands down, the best domestically made Bavarian Hefeweizen with perhaps with only Sly Fox's Royal Weisse as its nearest competitor. Solid, balanced, and unGodly drinkable. Fantastic, etherial, and otherwise otherworldly. You must seek this one out.

Zum wohl!