Live Oak HefeWeizen - Live Oak Brewing Company

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-07-2003

Reviews: 369 | Hads: 1,200
4.88/5  rDev +11.4%

On tap crickets Waco

Sweet aroma is that bubble gum I detect mmmm yeasty beasty, tastes of a little clove but more banana. Nice lacy head. Etches out its own nitch and flavour without exitng the style guidlines. Hop flavor is very low to none. Cloudy but just right for the style. Golden straw in colour. excelent body. (324 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +11.4%

Gigantically mad ups to xpimptastikx for shipping out a growler of this. There is nothing, NOTHING, more wonderful than having a growler reach you safe and sound. And it's one of them fancy growlers with a special freshness lock cap, too.

Pours as beautifully as any hefe could. Maybe a little better, actually. It's been a while since I've come across a really gorgeous wheat beer, but this one resembles duvel with its cloudy yellow sunshine body and gigantic, foamy white head. It's like frosting, or some kind of delicious soup. Or, actually it's even better than those since it's beer.

Smells just a complex as the very best hefes I've ever had, but maybe a little bit more intense. Cloves, banana, white pepper, the usual suspects, but there's also some wonderful citrus complexities in there.

Tastes even more complex, even more perfectly smooth and balanced. God damn! Wheatmalt dominates, of course, starting off generically beery in a nice way (like Weihenstephaner), moving into a sweeter, spicecake middle of cloves, lemon zest, white pepper, vanilla and orange. This lingers for a while and its ends, amazingly, with a distinct but light hop finish that ties everything together like a cherry on a sundae.

Nothing outrageous, nothing huge, just a perfectly executed example of its style. Believe the hype. I'm honestly upset at myself for not applying to Texas' grad program, now... (1,403 characters)

4.87/5  rDev +11.2%

Many thanks to Steve (a74gent) for knocking this off my wants list and for bringing a growler so I could drink plenty to make an informed review.

This brew comes out looking fantastic and never lets down. A hazy yellow-gold brew that shines even through the haze forms a thick, dense white head about two to three fingers high that really doesn't let up much at all and leaves lots of patchy lacing behind.
My nose doesn't even need to be near the glass for beautiful banana, yeast and clove aromas to make themselves known, backed by a light citrus under a pale, sweet malts and wheat backbone with light citrus hops notes just underneath.
This one's considerably light for being so absolutely flavorful. Plenty of sweetness that isn't cloying balanced by a light lemon zest and gentle hops notes, this is the real deal here as the banana, yeast and cloves remain the prominent flavors and the backbone is wheat with some nice malt presence. This is just exceptional thus far.
The body is nice as well, light to medium with a bit of crispness leading into a moderate smoothness. Carbonation makes this lively without taking anything away after starting off just slightly prickly. There's a touch of dryness in the middle before finishing out nice and sweet.
There's absolutely nothing taking away from the drinkability here, especially with an ABV around 4%. Hypothetically speaking, if I could get a bottle of this and saw it sitting on the shelf next to Weihenstephaner, my only option is to get both. To summarize: this one beats out Weihenstephaner in the sheer beauty and power of the aroma, while giving up half a point (for me) in mouthfeel. Both are absolutely the best examples of the style, making this one the best American hefeweizen I've ever had. (1,762 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +10.7%

A great beer to start my reviews with. So I crack the growler from JonathanL7890. Thank You Sooo Muuuch. As a Hefe lover I'm salivating and holding my expectations in check. Here goes...

WOW! A beautiful orangey gold that I cannot see through, a little murk in the glass. A thick creamy head rises and parks itself atop the brew as it sits in my Sisson's weiss glass ( My standard for hefe reviews as it may not be fair to use specific glasses unless you have them all ). Carbonation bubbles are present but not overly active. Five or seven minutes later it recedes to a thin layer that remains through the consumption. Beautiful lacing decorates my drinking vessel.

My nose is enticed by a mix of banana esters and spicy notes in the back of the throat. A deep wheat malt aroma cuts in and out between yeasty lemony notes and I smile in anticipation. Citrus and cloves tease the olfactory to the point of no return. I pick up the glass.

GLUG, banana and wheat malt. GLUG, lemon, and bubblegum. GLUG, clove and pepperyness. . GLUG, fruity yeast featuring a mild tart to sour apple and maybe light grape with mild hops in the finish, drying the palate in preparation for the next deep mouthful. Banana and malt linger deliciously. Is that a vanilla note? Yes. Sweetly dry. Help!! I'm hooked!! The flavors swirl in and out in a beautiful dance on my tounge. My nose quivers with each taste. Imagine the perfect hefe taste profile. Think of every one you've had and take your favorite aspects of them. Put them together. This is what I'm drinking. What you drink hefe for, it's all in this glass. One growler is barely enough.

The mouthfeel is a sublimely weighted light medium. Creamy velvet in its texture. Carbonation never detracts but is present in all the right ways, keeping the mouth tickled and alive.

Drinkable? Are you kidding? This is the paradigm of a quaffable, session beer. Bring it on!!

More, More, More!!! I agree with vitopeperoni. Buy some kind of dwelling in Austin and move. Great town, music scene, and incredible brewing ( too bad Pierre Celis is gone ). If you are a hefe hound, get this beer at any cost. (2,136 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +10.7%

To start, I must mention that this is my first beer review, so forgive me if I lack the vocabulary to properly describe the experience, but I felt so inspired to share after tasting this beer.

Served on tap, in a mug, at a Mangia in Austin, accompanying some fries and a deep dish pizza. The wheat crust turned out to be a pretty good pairing with the beer (the pizza was fantastic, by the way). The beer was served with a slice of lemon (!) on the rim of the glass. I gently removed the offending fruit before proceeding.

The beer is yellow in appearance, cloudy, yet sunny, and with a very even appearance throughout. The head was moderate, very white and fluffy. It hung around for a minute or so before settling down a bit, but never quite went away. Lacing was also moderate.

The beer smelled of wheat, of course, but not as much citric as one would expect (particularly considering the lemon). A very distinct herbal aroma as well.

Again, the taste is of wheat, slight citrus, with an herbal aftertaste.

The mouthfeel is incredible - much better than any wheat beer I've ever tried. Not too thin, not too heavy. Fizziness is minimal. It feels like eating bread fresh out of the oven.

The alcohol content wasn't particularly noticeable - I could definitely drink three or four of these in one night, circumstances permitting. A smooth, yet hearty beer.

While my experience with the style is, regrettably, somewhat limited, this is definitely the best Hefe Weizen I've ever had. Highly recommended to anyone who find themselves in Austin or anywhere else they can get this stuff on tap. Not available in bottles, mores the pity, but whatever they need to do to keep producing this quality is well worth it. (1,732 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +10.7%

I'm not sure if giving a thank you to Ballewblake for this is good enough for getting to try this beer. But hey. I did let the dude sleep on my couch when he visited NYC.

Pours a fully clouded orange with a white-ish head. Nose is a nice balance of banana and cloves. I'm not going to sit here and talk about the finer points and complexities of the flavor. It's smooth. It's damn smooth. It's smooth beyond description really. Sure there is the citric tones. The banana. The spices. The blah blee blah. To me this is just one that I don't really want to overly ponder. I just want to drink it. Until about 2027. Feel is extremely smooth on liquid and carbonation. This is one of the best beers I've ever had as far as drinkability. If I had everyday access to this, I would drink it non-stop. So well balanced.

This is a prime example of the skill that American brewers have progressed to. Do what you must to try this beer, but make sure you get it. It's pretty amazing stuff. (980 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +10.7%

Poured from 64 oz growler into Saint Arnold pint glass.

A- Pours a hazy straw color with 2 inches of creamy white head. Tons of lacing.

S- Wheat, a little banana and clove but they are well balanced and not overpowering.

T- Light banana and clove flavor that follows the smell. This is the best American-made hefeweizen I've had by far. Every flavor that should be there is there.

M- Nice creamy mouthfeel that really fits the style.

O- Flat out one of the best hefeweizens I've ever had. I would think this brewery was located in Munich before I'd assume it was located in Austin. Well done Live Oak! (608 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +10.7%

A wonderful way to start the weekend courtesy of jefferz5000 poured into a mikasa heff glass. Pours a nice cloudy orange yellow hue with a fluffy head that recedes fairly quickly to a collar and a light patch of bubbles in the middle of the collar. Smell is outstanding, i was smelling this stuff on the pour. Its very aromatic with bubblegum orange a light wheat character and some coriander and pineapple too. Taste is really nice as well, more of the same here but with some lemon thrown in. Mouthfeel is light and airy and fairly dry. I could drink this all day long given the abv, overall lightness and the wonderful taste and smell. (638 characters)

4.83/5  rDev +10.3%

appearance
pours a deep golden yellow topped by a fluffy white head measuring between a finger and a finger and a half with strong retention.

smell
smells better than any hefe I’ve ever snuffed. Notes of ripened bananas, sweet vanilla and far from overpowering clove scents with hints of citrus, & nutmeg too. Very complex & inviting, and very pleasant.

taste
Delicate and flavourful- easy to drink a lot of! It tastes like it smells and the head lends a smooth creaminess. Bananas are dominant and other citrus flavors present with a nice almost spicy clove after taste.

mouthfeel
very smooth, medium bodied with perfect carbonation

overall
hands down my favorite hefe

Big fan of Live Oak beers and this one is definitely a favorite. Great to drink anywhere with hot summer temperatures- not to high in ABV but still flavorful and easy to drink. I highly recommend anyone who is in Austin or visiting to go on their Brewery tour (943 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +10%

Acquired via trade from jtortorice, so a big "Thank You" goes out to him. Poured from a 64oz growler into a weizen glass.

A: The beer is a cloudy gold color, with a short white head that fades quickly and leaves a thin lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is of wheat, bananas, spices, citrus, light caramelized malts and a touch of hops.

T: The taste starts out bready with strong flavors of wheat and yeast. Then some sweet flavors of bananas, spices and citrus come in. The malt character is hearty but not too heavy and there's a mild but complementary hops presence that help provide a very good balance. The after-taste is slightly bready and slightly sweet.

M: Crisp and very smooth, medium body, medium carbonation, finish is clean.

D: Very tasty, goes down quite easily, not too filling, mild kick, very good representation of style, this is an excellent sessionable beer with all of the flavor and substance that make it worth drinking for an entire evening. (968 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +10%

Served on tap into a shaker glass.

A- Poured a hazy and bright golden color with frothy white head that left chunky lace.

S- Big pear, bubblegum, clove, citrusy, and banana notes in the aroma. A big juicy fruitiness and some astringency in the aroma.

T- Big tangy banana, juicy citrusy notes, bubblegum, clove, and light pear notes. Very juicy.

M- Prickly carbonation, very smooth, medium body, dry, and refreshing.

O- This is a world class and full-flavored hefeweizen. I am very impressed and this is among the most complex and flavorful hefeweizens I have ever had as someone who loves the style. (604 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +10%

Multiple samples at 2009 GABF.

With all the extreme beer available at the GABF, this was the only hefe I tried. It's reputation as one of the world's best is deserved, this is fantastic beer.

The wheat produces a crackery grain flavor that pairs with the typical banana and a mild clove note. This beer may not wow some people, but anyone that has experienced a selection of top-notch hefes will know right away that this is no ordinary beer.

There is just something about it, those wheat, banana, and clove flavors are simply amazing. Perhaps the flavors are just a bit brighter or deeper, maybe it is the creamy smooth body, but I can't name a better American made Hefeweizen and I would be hard pressed to name a better German take on the style...ok, maybe Weihenstephaner, but its close.

Now they just need to bottle more of it and start shipping cases to Denver! (873 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +9.6%

I've had this on-tap three times since moving to Austin and will review the most recent occasion, at Malagas Tapas and Bar on Saturday night.

Served a hazy, hefe yellow-orange in a pint glass with about a finger of pillowy white head. As others have noted, the color gradually changes from the top of the glass to the bottom. I felt this serving came a little colder than I would've preferred, and the rich aroma of bananas, clove, and citrus took a while to come out.

The pleasant smell of this beer is nothing compared to its taste, however. The banana and citrus--I got more lemon than in the past, and still took in plenty of orange--were up front, and the clove is deliciously spicy. An overall bubble gum flavor is present, particularly when the beer is colder.

Mouthfeel is creamy and full, no watered-down domestic hefe here. I'd love to sit down for a few of these, and hope to in the months to come. (914 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +9.6%

Honestly, I thought the Texas boys who reviewed this were skewing their numbers a bit on this one out of Texan pride, but seriously I'll confirm it, this is one serious Hefe! On tap @ the Ginger Man, Austin TX.

It doesn't get much better than this, especially from an upstart American brewer like this one, but this definatly ranks right up there with it's Bavarian counterparts.

Pours a bright gold in color with significant cloudiness. A nice one fingered white head accompanied with great retention. Nose was mouth watering, a wonderful balance of banana and clove, quite spicy, everything you expect from a great Hefe. Taste did not disappoint, following the strong profile in the nose. This is a powerful Hefe, reminds me of a dunkel in the taste department in some respects.

If I could get my hot little hands on this more often I'd sure as hell do it. C'mon Michigan brewers! Top this one!

Slàinte! (920 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +9.6%

Presentation: Poured from draft tap to a nonic style pint glass.

A: This beer pours a perfect 2 finger head without the bartender even trying. It is golden, orange, and hazy in appearance. Probably the best I've ever seen a hefeweizen look. Lots of nice carbonation and bubbles pouring from the bottom of this one. The only thing that would have made it any better would have been more lacing on the glass. Good, but not perfect.

S: Lots of lemon zest as well as other citrus in the nose. The clove is very present. Some people have said banana is very forward in this one. While it is there it's certainly not standing out like in Aventinus, Weihenstephaner Hefe, or others which are highly known for that banana signature. I sometimes find that off-putting so for me this one smells exceptional. Clean, crisp, tart, citrusy, clove spiciness, and subdued banana.

T: Wow. That was my impression on first tasting this. I was driving in the car thinking of how to describe this one today and the analogy came to me. It's like listening to a well-recorded piece of music on a VERY good speaker. All of the elements are there, perfectly balanced and none outshining the others. This hefe is tart like a Schneider in the perfect way, spicy and mild notes of banana like a Weihenstephaner, and has the great citrus notes like Julius Echter. For me this is the perfect hefeweizen. It was just kegged yesterday so it was tapped the same day I had it and god it's good. Even the foam on top tasted amazing. Normally I just try to drink through most of the foam, but on this one I wanted to actually ingest it.

M: Perfectly carbonated, meaning there was a lot of it. It's slick and oily (good for me), slightly creamy, nicely carbonated, and awesome. If it was a little creamier in the mouth it would be a 5.0.

D: Absolutely off the charts. I think I could drink more of this particular beer than any beer I've ever sampled. I tend to drink multiple beers in a given evening, but when this is available I will drink it all night and not be upset about it in the least. If I could give this a higher score it would get it.

When people talk about their favorite beers you often don't know what they mean or what their perspective is. Maybe they've only tried 10 different beers in their life. Compared to other BA's I've had a relatively small amount (probably 250 different beers) but this is one that absolutely lives up to the hype. It's tart, citrusy, has a slight wheat backbone so as not to be heavy, banana, clove, spice, perfect carbonation, smells delicious, looks great. There is no one area where this beer falters. Could it be improved? Maybe. For me this is a top 3 beer without question. I will be having more of this while it's available on draft in Dallas. (2,766 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +9.6%

BIG thanks to Monsone for busting out this growler at the BA Meetup @ Goose Island yesterday...

Let me just get this out of the way early: This is EASILY the best HefeWeizen I've ever had.

Now on to the review...

Appearance was outstanding - mysteriously murky & cloudy golden straw color (leaning a bit towards orange). Dense layer of foamy white head that left a spotty ring of lacing around the glass.

Aroma was great - some banana and wheat - just as you'd expect, but with a great deal of nuance.

Flavor was spectacular - more of the banana and smooth wheat, but also a soft, tangy twinge of sweet citrus came through that put this one into another stratosphere for me... gone was the bite you sometimes get from a hefe - this is just extremely well balanced and super smooth.

Carbonation is there (as evidenced by the nice layer of head I got on my pour), but the mouthfeel is amazingly silky. Again - another outstanding quality of this beer.

I could drink this stuff all day and am already dreaming of the next time I'll get to try it, so hopefully I can get my hands on a growler sometime soon here... (1,117 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +9.6%

Got a glass only because of the rating on this website. I'm not a fan of Hefe styles. Presented a faded caramel cloudy liquid with a half finger clingy head. Smells ginger zing, banana, clove, yeast, and a touch of lemon.

Tastes reserved malt sweet with smaller players of clove and esters (banana and pear) that were well rounded into each other. Citrusy notes are lemon and oranges, which I think may be from hop flavoring. Hop bitter was not detected, but could be there amid the gentle clove. Malt in the finish, but the beer cleans from the palette quite nicely. Medium smooth body and md-strong carbonation. Immensely drinkable. A truely amazing example of the style. (674 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +9.6%

I drank this on tap into a pint glass.

The beer pours a deep murky gold with two fingers of white head. Good retention, leaving a soaopy head, ok lacing.

The aroma is strong with clove dominating in a wonderful with a light honey finish, nice sweetness to balance.

The taste is super smooth starting out a little sweet with a great clove finish.

The feel is great, with a nice sweet lasting finish.

Easy drinker.

Overall, this was a great treat. By far the best hefe I've ever had. Search out this treat. (511 characters)

4.79/5  rDev +9.4%

Appearance: Fresh off a new keg. No head formation, which is odd for a wheat beer. On top of that, I could seriously pitch this beer into some wort and it would ferment. There was so much yeast in my beer that it looked like someone shook up a yeast vial and dumped it in.

Smell: Heavy banana with lots of sweet wheat malt. A subtle clove aroma lingers in the background.

Taste: full bodied with very strong and spicy clove phenols. Light banana esters and some yeast nuttiness.

Notes: Its very good. I like how the esters were heavy in the aroma and low in the taste while the phenols were low in the aroma and heavy in the taste. Very interesting and very good. (672 characters)

4.79/5  rDev +9.4%

Poured into a pint glass at Draught house in Austin, TX

Appearance: It pours a cloudy yellow/orange with a fingers worth of fluffy white head. I was surprised the head retention was not what I expected, but that could have been because the beer was a little too cold. Never the less this is what I expect a Hefeweissen to look like.

Aroma: Very proportionate amounts of banana, clove, a little bit of bread, and a touch of citrus come wafting out of the glass on my first sniff. Some hefeweissens can be too heavy on these aromas, but this one is not.

Taste: Banana, spicy notes and a tinge of tartness from the wheat. Very balanced, no one taste stands out in an over powering way, they all work with each other, complimenting each other.

Mouthfeel: Refreshing. This is the perfect summer beer. It’s extremely bubbly and it tickles and dances on your tongue.

Overall: This is without a doubt a world class hefeweissen and the best I have ever had. I lived in Germany for 16 weeks and had my fair share of hefeweissens and this is the best one I have ever had, rivaled only be Weihenstephan, but they had a little bit of a head start on Live Oak. It’s a shame they don’t bottle so more people could experience this beer. I'm thankful to live in Texas and can enjoy this beer whenever I want. (1,303 characters)

4.78/5  rDev +9.1%

A - Hazy darker yellow straw in color. Thick bone white with excellent retention

S - Cloves, banana, spices, honey, maybe a smidge of lemon

T - Wheaty like chewing on some fresh bread, with spicey clove and banana coming in but not overdone. Excellent HEFE.

Mouthfeel - If you are sweating your ass off or in the mood for some refreshing beer this is the one. Smooth and enjoyable

This beer gets alot of hype on here and I think its well deserving of it. Everyone should try this beer.

Serving type: on-tap (513 characters)

4.78/5  rDev +9.1%

One of the great pleasures of my trip to Austin. On a side note the brewery tour was nice. Only down side was I was with 11 guys for a bachelor party. Review from tap at the Alamo Draft House.

A: The cloudiest heff that I have ever had the pleasure to see. A nice bright golden color with some yeast floating around in the glass. Decent amount of head for the style as well.

S: Spot on. Tons of banana and clove. The wheat is there and is fairly strong as well. A touch of bubblegum in the finish.

T: God damn this is nice. Everything you want in perfect balance. The wheat and the yeast. Not too much banana not too much clove.

M: It was a little thick and stuck to my throat on the way down. While a little bit off for the style I found it enjoyable.

D: I am pleased to say I drank the shit out of the beer while in Austin. Just a great beer. I would session this then stab you to get some more. The BEST example of the style I have ever had. Have not been to Germany yet though.... (990 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +8.9%

thanks to barefootbrewer for a bottle of this fine brew! Ordinarily I don't condone the bottling of growler and on tap only brews but my hats off on to the original bottler of this fine brew. The last time I had a hefe this good it was carried off a plane from germany!

A - Hazy golden yellow color with a solid white head

S - citrus, clove, banana, wheat and bready malts

T - similar to the nose but so lively, so well balanced it's hard to justify in words.

M - medium bodied, nicely carbonated, crisp zesty finish

D - yes sir, may I have another? I really need to get a growler of this shipped to me so I can enjoy this with my friends! (646 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +8.9%

A- Pale hazy yellow with a nice white head that seems to fade before the beer reaches the half way point of my pint glass. No real lacing to speak of.

S- Lots of ripe banana smells and full of cloves and yeast and everything nice that goes into an outstanding smelling heffe.

M- Nothing offensive with some nice carbonation and a very smooth delivery.

D- For a style that I'm not always crazy about I absolutely loved this beer and had no problem draining the whole growler into my glass. (491 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +8.9%

A- Pour a nice cloudy golden yellow with a nice think bubbly white head. Leaves a nice white lacing that remained about the entire time.

S- Wonderful smell. Every time a smelled this brew I think I picked up something new. I would say pretty complex with everything from banana, clove, and wheat.

T- Once again this was incredible. Extremely smooth. Again I could taste some many different flavours here also. Amazing balance and just plain wonderful.

M- Maybe a little thick compared to most Hefe's but nothing wrong with it. This brew felt great maybe even a little grainy but was just plain awesome.

D- I was a little upset when I ran out of this brew. Couldn't get enough.

A HUGE thanks to JonathanL7890 for this one! (727 characters)

Live Oak HefeWeizen from Live Oak Brewing Company