Live Oak HefeWeizen - Live Oak Brewing Company

Hefeweizen |  5.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-07-2003

Reviews: 380 | Hads: 1,254
4.77/5  rDev +8.9%

thanks to barefootbrewer for a bottle of this fine brew! Ordinarily I don't condone the bottling of growler and on tap only brews but my hats off on to the original bottler of this fine brew. The last time I had a hefe this good it was carried off a plane from germany!

A - Hazy golden yellow color with a solid white head

S - citrus, clove, banana, wheat and bready malts

T - similar to the nose but so lively, so well balanced it's hard to justify in words.

M - medium bodied, nicely carbonated, crisp zesty finish

D - yes sir, may I have another? I really need to get a growler of this shipped to me so I can enjoy this with my friends!

4.77/5  rDev +8.9%

A- Pale hazy yellow with a nice white head that seems to fade before the beer reaches the half way point of my pint glass. No real lacing to speak of.

S- Lots of ripe banana smells and full of cloves and yeast and everything nice that goes into an outstanding smelling heffe.

M- Nothing offensive with some nice carbonation and a very smooth delivery.

D- For a style that I'm not always crazy about I absolutely loved this beer and had no problem draining the whole growler into my glass.

4.77/5  rDev +8.9%

A- Pour a nice cloudy golden yellow with a nice think bubbly white head. Leaves a nice white lacing that remained about the entire time.

S- Wonderful smell. Every time a smelled this brew I think I picked up something new. I would say pretty complex with everything from banana, clove, and wheat.

T- Once again this was incredible. Extremely smooth. Again I could taste some many different flavours here also. Amazing balance and just plain wonderful.

M- Maybe a little thick compared to most Hefe's but nothing wrong with it. This brew felt great maybe even a little grainy but was just plain awesome.

D- I was a little upset when I ran out of this brew. Couldn't get enough.

A HUGE thanks to JonathanL7890 for this one!

4.77/5  rDev +8.9%

Poured from a growler into a weizen glass. Huge thanks to xpimptastikx for the opportunity to try this one!

Straw-colored pour. A careful pour still yields a monster three finger head. Nice, thick white foam retains well, but sadly doesn't leave much behind. Still, a very promising pour from the growler.

Very yeasty nose. Lots of banana and bubblegum immediately jump out at me. There's also some wheat-y tartness and a citric fruity scent.

Live Oak HefeWeizen has a great collection of flavors...a flavor that keeps me a little more interested in it than most hefes. Nice wheat-y tartness, lots of bready malt, bananas, bubblegum, citrus (I'm leaning toward orange), and stinging, almost tongue-numbing spice. Really enjoy how this one isn't overly clove-y.

The texture of this beer seems impossible. It's soft and creamy, while being lively and tingly. That shouldn't add up, but it does here. Body is a bit lighter than I expected (I'd guess medium), but without being watery or thin.

The drinkability is off the charts. A lot of hefeweizens (and a lot of other styles, too) have been easy drinkers simply because of a low ABV and a lack of offensive flavors. However, Live Oak's HefeWeizen's great flavor pushes it beyond the rest. If I could give it a 6, I would. This is as good as I've had thus far. Generally, I like to drink a 12oz bottle or two a night, and call it quits. It's usually a chore for me to drink much more than that. Yet this growler was gone in no time. Can't recommend it highly enough.

4.77/5  rDev +8.9%

Appearance: A soft and nearly opaque honey-pale-straw-yellow pour with almost no head, looks raw, cloudy, unfiltered, and delicious.

Smell: Ample yeast, cloves, grass, banana, wheat

Taste: Grain, yeast, bread, Banana in a big way, citrus, grass, banana, pineapple, touch of sweetness and orange

Mouthfeel: Nice full texture, better than any other hefe.

Drinkability: Perfect in this regard, it disappears. All the elements come together perfectly in this one, particularly outside in the Austin, TX heat.

4.75/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I have had this delicious brew many times around town and take for granted that we have a world class hefeweizen here in Austin. The beer poured an opaque golden yellow with an enormous fluffy white head. The aroma was of bananas, cloves and a fruity spice that hit the perfect hefe tones. The taste was classic Hefe with bold bubblegum, banana, clove and spices that floated on a thick and creamy body with zero bitterness. The Live Oak Hefe is so thick, creamy and smooth its like drinking a beer milkshake. The note perfect hefeweizen flavors were bold and dominate while maintaining a very refreshing and drinkable brew. I can easily drink pint after pint of this on a hot day in Texas. It easily stands up to and exceeds its German counterparts and I would take it over just about any classic German Hefe.

4.75/5  rDev +8.4%

Served in an Ayinger weizen glass.

Mega thanks to jefferz5000 for this tasty treat!

I've heard some pretty gnarly things about this brew, particularly about it being the best hefe on the planet. The time has finally come for me to test these hyperbolic statements. It pours a rather cloudy straw, reminiscent of a carrot-orange-banana juice blend I sampled about a decade ago in Vienna (that's Austria, not Virginia). Nearly two fingers of white suds top it off, subsiding into a fine layer after a short respite. Honestly, this is what it looks like when books show representatations of hefeweizens. Archetypal all the way. So far, the hype has been lived up to. We'll see how the rest goes. The nose comprises banana, red apple, Granny Smith apple (they're both in there...trust me), caramel, cinnamon, nutmeg, orange peel, and a slight breadiness. My brain is awash with visions ranging from the sugary apple slices from my old local Bell's Orchard (it is missed) to a haystack standing in a citrus grove. I haven't wanted to drink a beer based on its smell this badly in some time. The taste holds notes of banana, orange zest, cloves, nutmeg, wheat, a light pepper, and pumpkin seeds. I'll say it: Damn, what a tasty hefe! It misses out on perfection by the slimmest of margins...I don't know what it would take to push it over, but I do know a tiny something is indeed missing. Nonetheless, this beer exhibits how every hefeweizen wishes it could taste. The body is a light medium, with low carbonation and a slight grainy feel. People: believe the hype. Best hefe on the planet? I just might have to accede to that, baby! Get some!!

4.75/5  rDev +8.4%

Growler acquired in a trade with stopbarking; been looking forward to this for a while. Split with Rhinos00, my portion being served in an Erdinger Hefeweizen glass.

A- Pours a very hazy golden straw with a huge, billowy, white head that recedes to a dense 1/4" to 1/2" foamy white layer. When held up to any light, this beer glows like a lamp. Due to the haze, not much visible carbonation or beading. Splotches of lacing all over the inside of the glass. So true to style, this would be perfect if it had better head retention.

S- Clove, spice, and bubble gum dominate. Wheat and lemon in the background. Prototypical hefeweizen flavors, but more intense in all aspects with more complexity.

T- Again, clove, spice, bubblegum, wheat, and lemon. Some yeasty breadiness with an incredible citrus tang in the finish that really elevates this beer to the upper tier. Everything I love in a hefeweizen, times ten. The volume is turned up full blast on this one.

M- Medium bodied with a snappy finish. Surprisingly tiny bubbles with carbonation that leans toward the lower end of the spectrum. This is least impressive aspect of this beer, but still deserves a good grade.

D- 10 out of 10. Multiple growler session would not be out of the question if I thought my bladder could stand up to the challenge. One of the most sessionable beers I've had the pleasure of trying and the best hefeweizen I have ever had. I would love to have this straight from the source.

4.75/5  rDev +8.4%

This beer is one of the best hefeweizen's out there. And it's right up the road in Austin! A real mouthfull of thick sweetness, but not too malty. A great summer beer on a hot day in Texas. It's too bad they don't put this in bottles or I would drink a lot more of it.

4.75/5  rDev +8.4%

Reviewed from notes 12/20/2010.
Many thanks to Jefferz5000 for this wonderful growler of beer. Can't wait for growler #2.

A: typical for a wheat beer, but also has some undertones of citrus fruit. Also noticed a hint of some spice scents, perhaps corriander.

Ap: golden yellow with a 1 finger crisp white head full of small frothy bubbles. The head dissipated quickly.

B/T: mild carbonation, pleasant on the tongue. Not overly carbonated, but just enough to taste like there was carbonation there. A nice crisp, clean beer.

Af: very crisp, typicaly for the wheat style. It has a hint of citrus fruit that pairs nicely with the light wheat flavor. Not much bitterness at all. Sweet, with a crisp finish.

O: Perfect reminder of summer on a cold, snowy, wintery day on the east coast! If only everyday could end with a pint of this on the deck, life would be grand!

4.75/5  rDev +8.4%

On-tap at the brewery during their tour.

A - Pours a beautiful hazy yellow-orange with a nice white head that sticks to the sides.
S - Subtle hints of bananna, bubble-gum, some cloves. A touch of bready yeastyness as well.
T - Delicious. Bananna and clove, just like the nose, with a fruity/citrus splash on the finish.
M - Good carbonation, medium body, smooth crisp finish.
O - Top notch. Third time I've had this brew and it never disappoints. Tasty, drinkable and refreshing. I wish this was available in Atlanta...

4.74/5  rDev +8.2%

Hands down this is my favorite Heffeweizen. I've drank it for years (since the late 90's when I lived in Austin), but on this visit I thought I would give it an attempt an unbiased review.

Pint served with a slice of lemon (which really makes this beer shine)

Bright heffeweizen color (golden yellowish color, but brighter than say Boulevard's Heffeweizen). I really liked the color if this beer but on the negative there was almost no head.

The flavor is complex and satisfying. Some citrus notes (probably some of this is from the lemon) with faint banana notes (in the past, the banana notes were stronger I think). The wheat malt also definitely stands out. Also there are some faint spices (think a toned down version of the cloves of Aventinus)

The aroma is fantastic. It definitely grabs you from first whiff. Mouthfeel is good with a fair bit of natural carbonation.

An excellent beer for summer drinking.

4.73/5  rDev +8%

Had this on tap at the Flying Saucer. Beautiful beautiful beautiful hefe. Golden, hazy, and swirling. Nice white head that laced on the way down. Smell was yeast and clove with some nice sweetness. Taste is incredible. A balanced mix of yeast, bubblegum, banana, and clove all standing out at different points in the mouth. Bits of lemon and orange edge out this masterpiece, and I got this without the lemon so it's all natural, baby. The wheat in the mouth really rolls over the tongue with a satisfying thickness. I could drink this all day.

4.73/5  rDev +8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Had this one on tap for the first time, and I've been dying to try this for a while.

A- Cloudy yellow color, definitely cloudy. Nice frothy head.

S- Sweet bananas, very little clove, nice lemon and grassy notes.

T- This shit is BANANAS "B-A-N-A-N-A-S" haha! Biggest banana bomb I've ever tasted. So rich and sweet. There's a little clove present, and it finishes with a little lemon tingle.

M- Dang this beer feels so creamy and frothy, it's awesome and so refreshing.

O- If I only had one beer wish, I might just use it by asking for this to be sold in cans at my grocery store. My fridge would be stocked up all year long! I don't think I could get tired of this beer. It's friggin amazing!

4.72/5  rDev +7.8%

Finally got a growler of this one as I've been dying to try it for awhile. Pours into my glass a hazy sunshine/straw yellow that's quite vibrant. A big inch head of creamy meringue white foam sticks to the top and has great staying power with sticky sheets of lacing as it slowly falls. Aromas begin with crisp wheat malt notes that are immediately engulfed in yeasty esters. Huge banana and clove lead the way with a spicy undertone and hints of bubblegum as well. Bold and fresh, the aroma is intoxicating. The yeast esters explode out of the glass...I can't find a thing wrong with this aroma :-)

First sip brings a smooth, crisp wheat malt upfront that leads into flavors of banana and clove. More light fruity notes move in along with a peppery spice. As it moves down the bubblegum comes out along with a touch of lemon zest and vanilla as well. There's a nice overall sweetness, but it is well placed. It finishes with a smooth yeasty kick that leaves a banana/spice aftertaste. Crisp with an enchanting flavor profile, I can't find any flaws in this brew. One of the best hefeweizens I've sampled without a doubt.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with a smooth creaminess imparted by the malt. Flows down with carbonation that is more towards the mellow side. This brew is extremely drinkable and makes for quite a session beer. Those of you who have regular access to this beer should consider yourselves very lucky, as this is the best American brewed hefeweizen I have ever tasted. Cheers to Live Oak for creating a brew that rivals its German counterparts and many thanks to JDV for supplying me with this tasty treat that I hope to have again.

4.72/5  rDev +7.8%

Had this on tap at the Ginger Man in Austin. Pours a hazy, cloudy yellow with a big fluffy white head. Head dissipates slowly leaving lots of lacing. Usually I tend to avoid American hefes because they can't compete with the Germans - typically there's way too much banana in the smell and taste. Not here however, as they've found the perfect balance for that banana clove aroma combination with a slight yeastyness in the back of the nose. The taste is equally exceptional, holding up to some of the best of the German examples. Nice light touch with the banana and clove again, clean malt backbone and a balanced touch of hop bitterness. Mouthfeel is light to moderate, leading to good drinkability. Very refreshing on a hot Texas day.

4.72/5  rDev +7.8%

Poured a cloudy yellowish orange with no noticeable head. There was a nice bread yeasty, banana, clove aroma. The flavors in this beers are perfectly balanced and delicious. A clove, banana, yeast flavor that mixes very well with a citrusy flavor. The finish is smooth clean and crisp and slightly bitter due to the sweet lemony citrus flavor. Incredible drinkability. I was sitting out in the beergarden, 80 degrees and the sun shining. It was the perfect beer for that occasion.

4.72/5  rDev +7.8%

Growler courtesy of jefferz5000, thanks so much! split three ways.

A: The beer pours a hazy light gold in color with a 1.5 finger head white head. The head has moderate retention and lacing. A beautiful looking beer.

S: The dominating smell of this beer is nutmeg and cloves. I wish there was a little more fruit on the nose.

T: The most flavorful hefeweise I have had. As contrasted to other hefes, there is less fruitiness. The dominating taste comes from the spices in this beer. In this beer there's flavors of nutmeg, cinnamon, cloves, and a little lemon zest, all perfectly balanced. By far the best tasting hefewisen I have had.

M: A little less carbonation that other beers of this class, but this is not a bad things as the spices in the beer add some zing that carbonation normally would.

D: For a 4.1 % ABV beer this has a ton of flavor. I would have this all day, any day. Too bad it's hard to come by in the Midwest. The people down in Texas are lucky to have this gem.

4.72/5  rDev +7.8%

A - It pours an orangey-peachy hue, pretty straight-up for the style; not so much head but that is likely from jostling the growler too much.

S - Way good aromas. Lots of banana nut bread, and the wild earthiness of a nice Saison, too.

T - The smell is exceptional; it is totally within the range of the traditionl Hefe, but it has an edge. I can't quite ascertain what that edge is, but it has a very dynamic flavor combination going on. Suggestions of banana and and a nutty-bready nuance, per usual, but additionally there is a slightly sour hay funk. Just a phenomenal Hefe, worthy of the hype.

M - Muy Buena. Wait, that's Texican; against BA rules, oui? I've had better mouthfeel from some of the traditional German Hefes, but this one tastes so good. And it could be that the growler-ing hurt the feel.

D - Seek this one out. It is outstanding.

4.72/5  rDev +7.8%

64 ounce blank brown growler received in a trade a few hours ago from JonathanL7890, glad somebody was nice enough to fill this for you, thanks for giving me the opportunity to try this top twenty beer, split with a friend tonight, poured into my large Bell's stein

A-Golden yellow color with tints of orange, murky and cloudy, big one and a half inch foamy white head that stuck around for upwards of five minutes, nice retention and some lacing at the beginning

S-Lots of wheat, nice orange peel aroma, cloves, coriander, ginger, various other spices, tons of banana that never went away, more citrus, apricot, grains, barley, and bready malt scents

T-Started off with a subtle orange taste, some biscuit and bread in the middle, finishes with some lemon juice and other citrus zest, later I began tasting some spices in the finish that had a big clove flavor, wheat provided a nice chewiness along with the bready malt, as it warmed it only became slightly sweeter, I could drink this beer all day, finally tasted some banana towards the end with more spice in the aftertaste, changed over time but never got any worse as far as taste goes, much different when it is cold because of its crispness, prefer it at room temperature to get all the different fruity tastes, incredible balance between grainy flavors and fruitiness, so easy to drink and flavorful at the same time

M-Chewy and creamy mouthfeel, nice crisp level of carbonation, surprisingly medium to thick body, which was a first for a hefeweizen, heavy and aggressive, long lasting taste, not too sweet

D-Could drink two growlers in a sitting, okay that might be an exaggeration but you get the idea of how easy this stuff is to drink, not heavy at all, no alcohol present in the flavor, low ABV from what my body is telling me even though it is not stated here on the site, and would make a fantastic session beer

Drank five days after it was filled and still popped when I opened the lid, tasted as fresh as any other beer would be, amazing it held up so well, best hefeweizen I have ever had, highest drinkability out of any beer I have ever had as well, would love to have again in the future, maybe when I decide to visit Texas soon, highly recommended

4.72/5  rDev +7.8%

Served in a proper weizen glass, pours a hazy pale gold color topped by a generous, chunky 3 fingers worth of head. Looks quite nice.

And smells even better. Good zesty lemon up front, then dominant clove abounds while a mild, powdery bubblegum scent lingers on the back end. Beautiful.

Thank goodness this isn't the banana-bomb I'd feared it may be. Clove-driven all the way with a wonderful wheat-y finish (while totally avoiding the cereal mash tendency many beers have). A gently sweet aftertaste (bubblegum again) lingers.

Mouthfeel is good and chewy although carbonation is a bit subdued (which may have more to do with the method of packaging and shipping). Drinkability is ridiculous and I want more. Oh, look! I have more! Simply outstanding and it is rare that I get this excited about a hefe as they tend to be on the low end of my favorite styles.

Huge thanks to chadspivey for the growler(s), you're a star.

4.72/5  rDev +7.8%

In my quest for a better beer in the Hefeweizen category, I had stumbled upon this delectable brew one day on BA.com. Seeing the outstanding reviews, I knew I had to try it come my trip to ACL music festival. I shared a pitcher of it, which was a whopping $16! "Better be worth it, or you're paying for it." my friend said.

The following characteristics soon would shut him up:
Appearance: Dull, cloudy orange. I called it "yeasty heaven". About a 3 inch, cotton-white head which lasted for about 30 minutes in the pitcher and 5 minutes in my glass. Excellent lacing ensued.

Aroma: There was a low and dull aroma of wheat coupled with a sweet smell, not associated with malt.

Taste: A sweet, estery taste with lingering yeast taste. Coupled with an orange slice, it gives the beer a small tinge of citrus.

Mouthfeel: Medium-Light and frothy in the mouth. Almost no cabonation to speak of. My friend described the beer as "dangerously smooth".

Overall, this ended up taking top rank in the Hefe category for myself. This beer is easily one of the best period in my book.

4.71/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

A: A dark and cloudy golden/orange color. A two finger white head forms with good retention, and lace is left behind.
S: Huge citrus, tart lemon, banana, and peppery/clove aromas. Yeast, baked bread, husky wheat in spades. This is very pleasant and appealing to say the least.
T: Follows the nose nicely. The flavors are all very tart and sharp. That great hefeweizen yeast is oh so present. Plenty of citrus, banana, and clove again. Baked bread. Excellent.
M/D: Medium body and very dry and crisp. Smooth and creamy at the same time. Very refreshing. Incredibly easy to drink. Did I say this was smooth? I can session this all day long.

Probably the best American made hefe, and without a doubt the best beer made in Texas. This is a classic, and a review is not good enough to describe this beauty. Pretty much as good as it gets.

4.7/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Got this in my Secret Santa package from ballewblake. Thanks for everything once again Blake. Never thought I would try this.

A- Pours a very nice golden hazy yellow color. Good size one finger bone white head that dies down after a minute or two. Nice lacing was left on the sides of the glass the entire beer.

S- Very nice wheaty bready smell comes on first. Banana and light clove notes make up a big portion of the nose as a whole. This smells clean...kind of hard to explain what I mean.

T- The tastes in this beer are amazing. Everything is big and long with the tastes. Nice yeasty taste hits perfect with the clove banana. No one flavor takes over the other until the end when the banana seems to be the last flavor that gently fades away.

M- Medium mouthfeel. Carbonation was perfect for this beer. Kind of a creamy mouthfeel as well. Clove and banana is left on the palate well after the sips are done. This is also true with the aftertaste. Very clean taste and flavors are sharp!

D- This is just wow! I was very glad to have gotten the chance to try this beer. This has to be one of the top 3 Hefeweizen I have ever had. Hands down this is the best American Hefeweizen I have tasted.

4.7/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On tap at The Ginger Man in Austin. Ratings are relative to the style.

A: beautiful, hazy gold with one finger of creamy white head. Moderate amounts of foamy lace on the glass. Gorgeous!

S: citrus, banana, wheat, creamy malt. If each ingredient were a tad more forward this would be a 5.0. The aroma invites you to take a sip...

T: lemon-citrus up front, turns creamy & malty with delicious wheat flavor showing itself strongly by the drink's end. Hints of banana linger after you swallow, temping you to taste again. This is among the best hefs I've ever tasted.

M: nearly full-bodied and unexpectedly creamy! Medium carbonation with a mild sting on your tongue as it lingers. Can't imagine anything better in this dept.

D: far too easy to drink. Goes down easily and is quite refreshing. I can't see myself ever not being in the mood for one of these. The ultimate session hef.

The only other hefeweizen I'd consider on par with this is the Augustiner Hefeweizen. Last I had it was before my days on BA, and unfortunately they don't ship that particular brew to the USA. Would love to compare them in a single sitting someday. But until then, I'm content crowning this brew Best Of Style.

Live Oak HefeWeizen from Live Oak Brewing Company