Live Oak HefeWeizen - Live Oak Brewing Company

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-07-2003

Reviews: 369 | Hads: 1,200
4.79/5  rDev +9.4%

Poured into a pint glass at Draught house in Austin, TX

Appearance: It pours a cloudy yellow/orange with a fingers worth of fluffy white head. I was surprised the head retention was not what I expected, but that could have been because the beer was a little too cold. Never the less this is what I expect a Hefeweissen to look like.

Aroma: Very proportionate amounts of banana, clove, a little bit of bread, and a touch of citrus come wafting out of the glass on my first sniff. Some hefeweissens can be too heavy on these aromas, but this one is not.

Taste: Banana, spicy notes and a tinge of tartness from the wheat. Very balanced, no one taste stands out in an over powering way, they all work with each other, complimenting each other.

Mouthfeel: Refreshing. This is the perfect summer beer. It’s extremely bubbly and it tickles and dances on your tongue.

Overall: This is without a doubt a world class hefeweissen and the best I have ever had. I lived in Germany for 16 weeks and had my fair share of hefeweissens and this is the best one I have ever had, rivaled only be Weihenstephan, but they had a little bit of a head start on Live Oak. It’s a shame they don’t bottle so more people could experience this beer. I'm thankful to live in Texas and can enjoy this beer whenever I want. (1,303 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +9.6%

I've had this on-tap three times since moving to Austin and will review the most recent occasion, at Malagas Tapas and Bar on Saturday night.

Served a hazy, hefe yellow-orange in a pint glass with about a finger of pillowy white head. As others have noted, the color gradually changes from the top of the glass to the bottom. I felt this serving came a little colder than I would've preferred, and the rich aroma of bananas, clove, and citrus took a while to come out.

The pleasant smell of this beer is nothing compared to its taste, however. The banana and citrus--I got more lemon than in the past, and still took in plenty of orange--were up front, and the clove is deliciously spicy. An overall bubble gum flavor is present, particularly when the beer is colder.

Mouthfeel is creamy and full, no watered-down domestic hefe here. I'd love to sit down for a few of these, and hope to in the months to come. (914 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +9.6%

Honestly, I thought the Texas boys who reviewed this were skewing their numbers a bit on this one out of Texan pride, but seriously I'll confirm it, this is one serious Hefe! On tap @ the Ginger Man, Austin TX.

It doesn't get much better than this, especially from an upstart American brewer like this one, but this definatly ranks right up there with it's Bavarian counterparts.

Pours a bright gold in color with significant cloudiness. A nice one fingered white head accompanied with great retention. Nose was mouth watering, a wonderful balance of banana and clove, quite spicy, everything you expect from a great Hefe. Taste did not disappoint, following the strong profile in the nose. This is a powerful Hefe, reminds me of a dunkel in the taste department in some respects.

If I could get my hot little hands on this more often I'd sure as hell do it. C'mon Michigan brewers! Top this one!

Slàinte! (920 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +9.6%

Presentation: Poured from draft tap to a nonic style pint glass.

A: This beer pours a perfect 2 finger head without the bartender even trying. It is golden, orange, and hazy in appearance. Probably the best I've ever seen a hefeweizen look. Lots of nice carbonation and bubbles pouring from the bottom of this one. The only thing that would have made it any better would have been more lacing on the glass. Good, but not perfect.

S: Lots of lemon zest as well as other citrus in the nose. The clove is very present. Some people have said banana is very forward in this one. While it is there it's certainly not standing out like in Aventinus, Weihenstephaner Hefe, or others which are highly known for that banana signature. I sometimes find that off-putting so for me this one smells exceptional. Clean, crisp, tart, citrusy, clove spiciness, and subdued banana.

T: Wow. That was my impression on first tasting this. I was driving in the car thinking of how to describe this one today and the analogy came to me. It's like listening to a well-recorded piece of music on a VERY good speaker. All of the elements are there, perfectly balanced and none outshining the others. This hefe is tart like a Schneider in the perfect way, spicy and mild notes of banana like a Weihenstephaner, and has the great citrus notes like Julius Echter. For me this is the perfect hefeweizen. It was just kegged yesterday so it was tapped the same day I had it and god it's good. Even the foam on top tasted amazing. Normally I just try to drink through most of the foam, but on this one I wanted to actually ingest it.

M: Perfectly carbonated, meaning there was a lot of it. It's slick and oily (good for me), slightly creamy, nicely carbonated, and awesome. If it was a little creamier in the mouth it would be a 5.0.

D: Absolutely off the charts. I think I could drink more of this particular beer than any beer I've ever sampled. I tend to drink multiple beers in a given evening, but when this is available I will drink it all night and not be upset about it in the least. If I could give this a higher score it would get it.

When people talk about their favorite beers you often don't know what they mean or what their perspective is. Maybe they've only tried 10 different beers in their life. Compared to other BA's I've had a relatively small amount (probably 250 different beers) but this is one that absolutely lives up to the hype. It's tart, citrusy, has a slight wheat backbone so as not to be heavy, banana, clove, spice, perfect carbonation, smells delicious, looks great. There is no one area where this beer falters. Could it be improved? Maybe. For me this is a top 3 beer without question. I will be having more of this while it's available on draft in Dallas. (2,766 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +9.6%

BIG thanks to Monsone for busting out this growler at the BA Meetup @ Goose Island yesterday...

Let me just get this out of the way early: This is EASILY the best HefeWeizen I've ever had.

Now on to the review...

Appearance was outstanding - mysteriously murky & cloudy golden straw color (leaning a bit towards orange). Dense layer of foamy white head that left a spotty ring of lacing around the glass.

Aroma was great - some banana and wheat - just as you'd expect, but with a great deal of nuance.

Flavor was spectacular - more of the banana and smooth wheat, but also a soft, tangy twinge of sweet citrus came through that put this one into another stratosphere for me... gone was the bite you sometimes get from a hefe - this is just extremely well balanced and super smooth.

Carbonation is there (as evidenced by the nice layer of head I got on my pour), but the mouthfeel is amazingly silky. Again - another outstanding quality of this beer.

I could drink this stuff all day and am already dreaming of the next time I'll get to try it, so hopefully I can get my hands on a growler sometime soon here... (1,117 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +9.6%

Got a glass only because of the rating on this website. I'm not a fan of Hefe styles. Presented a faded caramel cloudy liquid with a half finger clingy head. Smells ginger zing, banana, clove, yeast, and a touch of lemon.

Tastes reserved malt sweet with smaller players of clove and esters (banana and pear) that were well rounded into each other. Citrusy notes are lemon and oranges, which I think may be from hop flavoring. Hop bitter was not detected, but could be there amid the gentle clove. Malt in the finish, but the beer cleans from the palette quite nicely. Medium smooth body and md-strong carbonation. Immensely drinkable. A truely amazing example of the style. (674 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +9.6%

I drank this on tap into a pint glass.

The beer pours a deep murky gold with two fingers of white head. Good retention, leaving a soaopy head, ok lacing.

The aroma is strong with clove dominating in a wonderful with a light honey finish, nice sweetness to balance.

The taste is super smooth starting out a little sweet with a great clove finish.

The feel is great, with a nice sweet lasting finish.

Easy drinker.

Overall, this was a great treat. By far the best hefe I've ever had. Search out this treat. (511 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +10%

Acquired via trade from jtortorice, so a big "Thank You" goes out to him. Poured from a 64oz growler into a weizen glass.

A: The beer is a cloudy gold color, with a short white head that fades quickly and leaves a thin lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is of wheat, bananas, spices, citrus, light caramelized malts and a touch of hops.

T: The taste starts out bready with strong flavors of wheat and yeast. Then some sweet flavors of bananas, spices and citrus come in. The malt character is hearty but not too heavy and there's a mild but complementary hops presence that help provide a very good balance. The after-taste is slightly bready and slightly sweet.

M: Crisp and very smooth, medium body, medium carbonation, finish is clean.

D: Very tasty, goes down quite easily, not too filling, mild kick, very good representation of style, this is an excellent sessionable beer with all of the flavor and substance that make it worth drinking for an entire evening. (968 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +10%

Served on tap into a shaker glass.

A- Poured a hazy and bright golden color with frothy white head that left chunky lace.

S- Big pear, bubblegum, clove, citrusy, and banana notes in the aroma. A big juicy fruitiness and some astringency in the aroma.

T- Big tangy banana, juicy citrusy notes, bubblegum, clove, and light pear notes. Very juicy.

M- Prickly carbonation, very smooth, medium body, dry, and refreshing.

O- This is a world class and full-flavored hefeweizen. I am very impressed and this is among the most complex and flavorful hefeweizens I have ever had as someone who loves the style. (604 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +10%

Multiple samples at 2009 GABF.

With all the extreme beer available at the GABF, this was the only hefe I tried. It's reputation as one of the world's best is deserved, this is fantastic beer.

The wheat produces a crackery grain flavor that pairs with the typical banana and a mild clove note. This beer may not wow some people, but anyone that has experienced a selection of top-notch hefes will know right away that this is no ordinary beer.

There is just something about it, those wheat, banana, and clove flavors are simply amazing. Perhaps the flavors are just a bit brighter or deeper, maybe it is the creamy smooth body, but I can't name a better American made Hefeweizen and I would be hard pressed to name a better German take on the style...ok, maybe Weihenstephaner, but its close.

Now they just need to bottle more of it and start shipping cases to Denver! (873 characters)

4.83/5  rDev +10.3%

appearance
pours a deep golden yellow topped by a fluffy white head measuring between a finger and a finger and a half with strong retention.

smell
smells better than any hefe I’ve ever snuffed. Notes of ripened bananas, sweet vanilla and far from overpowering clove scents with hints of citrus, & nutmeg too. Very complex & inviting, and very pleasant.

taste
Delicate and flavourful- easy to drink a lot of! It tastes like it smells and the head lends a smooth creaminess. Bananas are dominant and other citrus flavors present with a nice almost spicy clove after taste.

mouthfeel
very smooth, medium bodied with perfect carbonation

overall
hands down my favorite hefe

Big fan of Live Oak beers and this one is definitely a favorite. Great to drink anywhere with hot summer temperatures- not to high in ABV but still flavorful and easy to drink. I highly recommend anyone who is in Austin or visiting to go on their Brewery tour (943 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +10.7%

A great beer to start my reviews with. So I crack the growler from JonathanL7890. Thank You Sooo Muuuch. As a Hefe lover I'm salivating and holding my expectations in check. Here goes...

WOW! A beautiful orangey gold that I cannot see through, a little murk in the glass. A thick creamy head rises and parks itself atop the brew as it sits in my Sisson's weiss glass ( My standard for hefe reviews as it may not be fair to use specific glasses unless you have them all ). Carbonation bubbles are present but not overly active. Five or seven minutes later it recedes to a thin layer that remains through the consumption. Beautiful lacing decorates my drinking vessel.

My nose is enticed by a mix of banana esters and spicy notes in the back of the throat. A deep wheat malt aroma cuts in and out between yeasty lemony notes and I smile in anticipation. Citrus and cloves tease the olfactory to the point of no return. I pick up the glass.

GLUG, banana and wheat malt. GLUG, lemon, and bubblegum. GLUG, clove and pepperyness. . GLUG, fruity yeast featuring a mild tart to sour apple and maybe light grape with mild hops in the finish, drying the palate in preparation for the next deep mouthful. Banana and malt linger deliciously. Is that a vanilla note? Yes. Sweetly dry. Help!! I'm hooked!! The flavors swirl in and out in a beautiful dance on my tounge. My nose quivers with each taste. Imagine the perfect hefe taste profile. Think of every one you've had and take your favorite aspects of them. Put them together. This is what I'm drinking. What you drink hefe for, it's all in this glass. One growler is barely enough.

The mouthfeel is a sublimely weighted light medium. Creamy velvet in its texture. Carbonation never detracts but is present in all the right ways, keeping the mouth tickled and alive.

Drinkable? Are you kidding? This is the paradigm of a quaffable, session beer. Bring it on!!

More, More, More!!! I agree with vitopeperoni. Buy some kind of dwelling in Austin and move. Great town, music scene, and incredible brewing ( too bad Pierre Celis is gone ). If you are a hefe hound, get this beer at any cost. (2,136 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +10.7%

To start, I must mention that this is my first beer review, so forgive me if I lack the vocabulary to properly describe the experience, but I felt so inspired to share after tasting this beer.

Served on tap, in a mug, at a Mangia in Austin, accompanying some fries and a deep dish pizza. The wheat crust turned out to be a pretty good pairing with the beer (the pizza was fantastic, by the way). The beer was served with a slice of lemon (!) on the rim of the glass. I gently removed the offending fruit before proceeding.

The beer is yellow in appearance, cloudy, yet sunny, and with a very even appearance throughout. The head was moderate, very white and fluffy. It hung around for a minute or so before settling down a bit, but never quite went away. Lacing was also moderate.

The beer smelled of wheat, of course, but not as much citric as one would expect (particularly considering the lemon). A very distinct herbal aroma as well.

Again, the taste is of wheat, slight citrus, with an herbal aftertaste.

The mouthfeel is incredible - much better than any wheat beer I've ever tried. Not too thin, not too heavy. Fizziness is minimal. It feels like eating bread fresh out of the oven.

The alcohol content wasn't particularly noticeable - I could definitely drink three or four of these in one night, circumstances permitting. A smooth, yet hearty beer.

While my experience with the style is, regrettably, somewhat limited, this is definitely the best Hefe Weizen I've ever had. Highly recommended to anyone who find themselves in Austin or anywhere else they can get this stuff on tap. Not available in bottles, mores the pity, but whatever they need to do to keep producing this quality is well worth it. (1,732 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +10.7%

I'm not sure if giving a thank you to Ballewblake for this is good enough for getting to try this beer. But hey. I did let the dude sleep on my couch when he visited NYC.

Pours a fully clouded orange with a white-ish head. Nose is a nice balance of banana and cloves. I'm not going to sit here and talk about the finer points and complexities of the flavor. It's smooth. It's damn smooth. It's smooth beyond description really. Sure there is the citric tones. The banana. The spices. The blah blee blah. To me this is just one that I don't really want to overly ponder. I just want to drink it. Until about 2027. Feel is extremely smooth on liquid and carbonation. This is one of the best beers I've ever had as far as drinkability. If I had everyday access to this, I would drink it non-stop. So well balanced.

This is a prime example of the skill that American brewers have progressed to. Do what you must to try this beer, but make sure you get it. It's pretty amazing stuff. (980 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +10.7%

Poured from 64 oz growler into Saint Arnold pint glass.

A- Pours a hazy straw color with 2 inches of creamy white head. Tons of lacing.

S- Wheat, a little banana and clove but they are well balanced and not overpowering.

T- Light banana and clove flavor that follows the smell. This is the best American-made hefeweizen I've had by far. Every flavor that should be there is there.

M- Nice creamy mouthfeel that really fits the style.

O- Flat out one of the best hefeweizens I've ever had. I would think this brewery was located in Munich before I'd assume it was located in Austin. Well done Live Oak! (608 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +10.7%

A wonderful way to start the weekend courtesy of jefferz5000 poured into a mikasa heff glass. Pours a nice cloudy orange yellow hue with a fluffy head that recedes fairly quickly to a collar and a light patch of bubbles in the middle of the collar. Smell is outstanding, i was smelling this stuff on the pour. Its very aromatic with bubblegum orange a light wheat character and some coriander and pineapple too. Taste is really nice as well, more of the same here but with some lemon thrown in. Mouthfeel is light and airy and fairly dry. I could drink this all day long given the abv, overall lightness and the wonderful taste and smell. (638 characters)

4.87/5  rDev +11.2%

Many thanks to Steve (a74gent) for knocking this off my wants list and for bringing a growler so I could drink plenty to make an informed review.

This brew comes out looking fantastic and never lets down. A hazy yellow-gold brew that shines even through the haze forms a thick, dense white head about two to three fingers high that really doesn't let up much at all and leaves lots of patchy lacing behind.
My nose doesn't even need to be near the glass for beautiful banana, yeast and clove aromas to make themselves known, backed by a light citrus under a pale, sweet malts and wheat backbone with light citrus hops notes just underneath.
This one's considerably light for being so absolutely flavorful. Plenty of sweetness that isn't cloying balanced by a light lemon zest and gentle hops notes, this is the real deal here as the banana, yeast and cloves remain the prominent flavors and the backbone is wheat with some nice malt presence. This is just exceptional thus far.
The body is nice as well, light to medium with a bit of crispness leading into a moderate smoothness. Carbonation makes this lively without taking anything away after starting off just slightly prickly. There's a touch of dryness in the middle before finishing out nice and sweet.
There's absolutely nothing taking away from the drinkability here, especially with an ABV around 4%. Hypothetically speaking, if I could get a bottle of this and saw it sitting on the shelf next to Weihenstephaner, my only option is to get both. To summarize: this one beats out Weihenstephaner in the sheer beauty and power of the aroma, while giving up half a point (for me) in mouthfeel. Both are absolutely the best examples of the style, making this one the best American hefeweizen I've ever had. (1,762 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +11.4%

After dreaming of tasting the only hefeweizen rated higher than my all-time favorite beer (Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier), I accepted the extraordinarily generous goatgoat's offer to ship me a growler of Live Oak Hefeweizen in return for some local beers. It was worth the wait, and I now owe goatgoat something equally majestic in return.

Appearance: Pours a hazy orange-ish gold in body, with a beautiful three-finger head of off-white foam. Lacing is substantial throughout drinking. This stuff looks exactly the way a hefeweizen should -- there's no watery soapiness, as is found in many American wheat beers.

Smell: Sweet, sweet banana, yeasty bread, and cloves, with a honey-ish undercurrent and a hint of wheaty twang. The aroma of this beer is quite complex (and spot-on for the style), but it's rather subdued and understated. Still, a whiff of this entices the senses and demands that I take a big sip immediately.

Taste: Unbelievably good. Cloves and wholesome banana bread, in beautiful harmony with yeast. I also pick up a substantial vanilla component to the flavor -- something I've never experienced in a hefeweizen, but it fits very well with the rest of the flavor components. There is no evidence of the metallic element present in many hefeweizens, and only the mildest hint of funky wheaty sourness can be found. Alcohol and hops are undetectable, as they should be in a traditional German-style hefeweizen. I still think Weihenstephaner brews the classic example of the style, but this one has a flavor all its own and is still almost perfect. In fact -- and this is near-blasphemy for me -- I think Live Oak's hefeweizen has more character than Weihenstephaner's, and I suspect that its flavor may vary somewhat from batch to batch (whereas Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier tastes the same year after year). At any rate...this Live Oak is awesome, awesome, awesome.

Mouthfeel: While refreshingly brisk in carbonation, Live Oak hefeweizen somehow retains a full, creamy mouthfeel the likes of which I've rarely -- maybe never -- experienced in a wheat beer. This mouthfeel only enhances the wholesome banana- and bread-like characteristics of the beer's smell and flavor, adding up to a mind-bogglingly great drinking experience. Each sip fills the mouth and glides down the throat like meringue.

Drinkability: I would LOVE to drink this on a Texan summer day. Incredibly thirst-quenching and refreshing, yet substantial and satisfying, this may be the ultimate hot-weather beer. (As it happens, I'm drinking it in early March in Atlanta, where it's currently 38 degrees outside...my next quest may be for Live Oak's possibly retired weizenbock.) I assume that the ABV is quite low -- about 5% would be average for the style -- and this only enhances the beer's drinkability. I may attempt to put away this whole growler over the next several hours, and I think I can do so without adverse consequences. This is a testament to the beer's overwhelmingly appealing flavor and drinkability, both of which are enhanced by the low ABV.

In pondering this beer's quality (and its high rating on this site), something occurred to me: every hefeweizen I've ever had on tap has benefitted greatly from that serving type. Maybe it's because the yeast is constantly stirred up when the beer's served that way, and maybe there are other factors, but it's apparent to me that every hefeweizen tastes noticeably better on tap than poured from the bottle.

With that in mind, I can't help but wonder if Live Oak hefeweizen would still be this good if they bottled it and shipped it out...I guess we may never know. But it bears mentioning that perhaps the reason for Live Oak hefeweizen's legendary quality lies in the fact that it is ONLY available on tap, and it therefore reaps the benefits of that serving style. I'd like to try this side-by-side with freshly-tapped Weihenstephaner, and then I'd like to try a bottle of this (if such a thing existed) side-by-side with a bottle of Weihenstephaner. I don't know which beer would win.

Regardless, in its present form, this is America's greatest hefeweizen. An extraordinary brew, it truly lives up to the hype. Worth trading for -- and probably worth a trip to Texas. (4,232 characters)

On tap crickets Waco

Sweet aroma is that bubble gum I detect mmmm yeasty beasty, tastes of a little clove but more banana. Nice lacy head. Etches out its own nitch and flavour without exitng the style guidlines. Hop flavor is very low to none. Cloudy but just right for the style. Golden straw in colour. excelent body. (324 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +11.4%

Gigantically mad ups to xpimptastikx for shipping out a growler of this. There is nothing, NOTHING, more wonderful than having a growler reach you safe and sound. And it's one of them fancy growlers with a special freshness lock cap, too.

Pours as beautifully as any hefe could. Maybe a little better, actually. It's been a while since I've come across a really gorgeous wheat beer, but this one resembles duvel with its cloudy yellow sunshine body and gigantic, foamy white head. It's like frosting, or some kind of delicious soup. Or, actually it's even better than those since it's beer.

Smells just a complex as the very best hefes I've ever had, but maybe a little bit more intense. Cloves, banana, white pepper, the usual suspects, but there's also some wonderful citrus complexities in there.

Tastes even more complex, even more perfectly smooth and balanced. God damn! Wheatmalt dominates, of course, starting off generically beery in a nice way (like Weihenstephaner), moving into a sweeter, spicecake middle of cloves, lemon zest, white pepper, vanilla and orange. This lingers for a while and its ends, amazingly, with a distinct but light hop finish that ties everything together like a cherry on a sundae.

Nothing outrageous, nothing huge, just a perfectly executed example of its style. Believe the hype. I'm honestly upset at myself for not applying to Texas' grad program, now... (1,403 characters)

4.89/5  rDev +11.6%

Have been looking forward to trying this beer for a long time, since about the time a joined BA actually and xpimptastikx hooked me up big time with this much wanted brew.

From a growler, poured into a weizen glass

A: Glowing orange and golden staw clouded by the dustiest flakes of yeast I've ever seen, I let this sit in the fridge for a couple of days and it's like the yeast particles have completly integrated themselves into the beer itself. The only knock I have on this beer is the lack of lacing and that huge head, but this color is really something out of this world.

S: The beer has survived the journey from tap to glass and I am greeted with a heavenly fresh aroma of coriander and orange peel, super sweet orange juice and pineapple juice mixed together, super creamy orange but not like that fake orange cream soda aroma that you are probably thinking about, I mean this smells like someone spilled a glass of pineapple orange juice on a freshly baked and buttered biscuit, really. Thick doughy aromas combine

T/MF: Rich and thick, sweet ceral grain mixes with a subtle spicness and mild estery and floral fruit flavors. Feel is smooth and a bit tingly on the tongue but finishes clean and begs to be sipped again. Given some time to warm even more comes out: nutmeg, a pinch of cinnamon and finally that good old fashioned bananna that we always hear so much about. I'm not even done with my first glass and already I'm ready for another. I really don't think I am doing the beer justice here. I mean I can go on and say that the beer has this or that and it might sound like not a BFD, but it is, this beer is amazing, it's like this beer takes the idea of a hefeweizen and notches up everything you have come to expect from the style, everything is just a bit brighter, a bit deeper and richer, the flavors more pronounced and complex. I could go on but then I wouldn't be drinking my beer.

D: Reading a few reviews I was worried that the growler would not have survived the trip across state lines and I would be left with a subpar and possibly flat beer, but my fears were put to rest and my expectations exceeded. this beer deserves more hype than it already has. Thanks again Michael. (2,213 characters)

4.89/5  rDev +11.6%

Growler sent courtesy of BeerZack. Thanks again!

Pours a cloudy, pale orange...modest head of off-white froth clings to the sides of the glass. The aroma of orange peel & cloves explodes from the growler as soon as the screw-cap comes off...I think I'm in for a treat.

Ripe banana, oranges, lemon flavors are just superb. Cloves are abundant & delicious. The wheat just goes perfectly with the fruit & spices used here.
Flavors are all very strong & prominent, certainly the most flavorful hefe I can remember trying. I'm curious as to the abv of this..around 5-6% would be my guess. That being said, it is incredibly easy to drink and I know the bold flavors kept enticing me to take another sip as soon as I put the glass down.

A remarkable beer in many aspects. Very glad I was lucky enough to be able to try it. Who do I have to talk to at the brewery to get this stuff bottled?? (886 characters)

4.9/5  rDev +11.9%

Ok, so I have been waiting to try this one forever. Much thanks goes out to JDV for hooking me up with a trade on this. Been waiting for a certain BA to get off his butt and meet me to split this one, and finally got around to it last night. In the great company of goindownsouth, his wife, and our favorite bartender Meg, we all split this growler with dinner. This was a really fun night.

Appearance - So this one poured out absolutely wonderfully, words cannot express how god this actually was, but I will do my best to give it a shot here. The pour was very lively, dumping a very rich, sediment filled bright liquid into the glass. The color was a little heavier then your typical golden yellow, some light peach tones in it, mostly due to the haze. This was such a hazy and cloudy beer, it was literally insane how much sediment there was floating around in here, it was nearly opaque from it, but enough light got through to really show off the colors very well. A beautiful three finger high head of lace formed on top. A very nice pillow of white, that hung around for what seemed like forever before settling down to just a thin film across the top which lasted for the rest of the session Deep white foamy lace was dripping all over the sides of the glass here, really thickening up as you went through. Some carbonation visible streaming up from the bottom to reinforce this as well. Now as far as Hefe's go, I have never seen one like this, I could not have imagined this looking any better, really just superb. The end of the growler was thick and chunky from so much settling down( your welcome Dan).

Smell - The aroma on this was insane. Again I have to say this was like a whole new style for me, as it opened my eyes as to what these should taste like, not the bland, light and utterly dull American version of a Hefe I am used to, this was nuts. Huge aromas coming off of this one, from the moment we unscrewed the cap. A deep rich banana flavor overtook me right away, and dominated the senses, mixed in with this were hints of vanilla, and peach, which I was clearly able to pick up right away. Some very nice notes of cloves and even a touch of vanilla were all readily picked up, and though for me it was the fresh banana that stole the show. As it warmed a little, I was starting to get those nice light notes of fresh wheat and grain mixing in now. Overall fantastic, I cannot imagine this smelling and better or any more inviting, dare I say perfect.

Taste - The flavor continued on right where the aroma left off, with one important change though, it was actually better! It is really hard to even put into words how good this was, and I am glad I am not alone in this judgment, as I am sure all who were there will attest to. This was just fantastic. Huge notes of banana and cloves come ripping right out of the gate. There was nothing harsh about this as every flavor was so intricately separate and distinct, yet at the same time, it was all effortlessly blended together. I was detecting lots of peach like notes, light fruit of various types, even hints of apricot now mingling in with the banana, which really just did not quit. There were wild grain notes weaving in and out of the profile now, giving it even more depth then it already had. Some very nice hints of vanilla now rounding it out towards the finish. The finish was nice and clean, with a touch of crispness to it. Flavor did not linger long, what did linger was a nice light fruity note, which was just outstanding and really sealed the deal for this one, at least for me. Again, I could not picture this tasting and better or any more complex then it did. I tried to describe the flavor as best I could, but to be honest, it was beyond description.

Mouthfeel - The feel on this was so light and airy. Very good profile here with not even the slightest bit of watering down or thinness to it at all. The carbonation level was top notch, in fact, it almost felt as if it was getting better as the session wore on, simply amazing. Great smooth and extremely clean feeling, this was just great. Nice finish as well, very well done.

Drinkability - Cannot imagine this getting any better here at all. I mean c'mon what was there here not too like. The flavors were intense, yet inviting, the carbonation was never dull, low ABV, well pretty much none, and a wonderful sense of smoothness. To say I could drink this forever would be about right. I could not imagine this one getting dull in anyway. Really very good.

Overall I think I have said how good this was enough here, but one more time, this was simply stated one of the best beers I have ever had, hands down. I love the bigger, intense beers we all crave, but sometimes you need something like this to bring you back to your roots, to show what can be done in the normal range, and how complex a style that can at times seem so simple and overdone, can really become. I was literally blown away by this. (4,963 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +12.3%

Had on tap during a trip to Austin.

Poured a cloudy golden yellow with a nice, white head. The beer smelled of bubblegum, citrus and banana. The taste was very similar with some wheat added in. I have had this beer several times and it is one of the most drinkable beers I have ever had. I have no problem drinking several of them in a row and enjoy every drop. (363 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +12.3%

Thanks goes out to chadspivey for this exceptional brew.

Poured into a Ayinger glass a nice cloudy golden orange/yellow color, nice carbonation, nice three finger creamy white head which lasted a little while, then left some sticky lacing. The nose is malty, nice touch of yeast, spicey, cloves, and banannas. The taste is fabulous, mostly malts, wheat, yeast, cloves, and some banannas. Nice slightly dry finish. Medium body. Very drinkable, this is an exceptional Hefe, the best I've had to date, hands down. An excellent thirst quencher for a hot day in Utah. Highly recommended. (585 characters)

Live Oak HefeWeizen from Live Oak Brewing Company