Join our email list →

Hefeweizen | 5.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-07-2003

Reviews: 387 | Hads: 1,294
4.74/5  rDev +8.5%

Hands down this is my favorite Heffeweizen. I've drank it for years (since the late 90's when I lived in Austin), but on this visit I thought I would give it an attempt an unbiased review.

Pint served with a slice of lemon (which really makes this beer shine)

Bright heffeweizen color (golden yellowish color, but brighter than say Boulevard's Heffeweizen). I really liked the color if this beer but on the negative there was almost no head.

The flavor is complex and satisfying. Some citrus notes (probably some of this is from the lemon) with faint banana notes (in the past, the banana notes were stronger I think). The wheat malt also definitely stands out. Also there are some faint spices (think a toned down version of the cloves of Aventinus)

The aroma is fantastic. It definitely grabs you from first whiff. Mouthfeel is good with a fair bit of natural carbonation.

An excellent beer for summer drinking.

4.75/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I have had this delicious brew many times around town and take for granted that we have a world class hefeweizen here in Austin. The beer poured an opaque golden yellow with an enormous fluffy white head. The aroma was of bananas, cloves and a fruity spice that hit the perfect hefe tones. The taste was classic Hefe with bold bubblegum, banana, clove and spices that floated on a thick and creamy body with zero bitterness. The Live Oak Hefe is so thick, creamy and smooth its like drinking a beer milkshake. The note perfect hefeweizen flavors were bold and dominate while maintaining a very refreshing and drinkable brew. I can easily drink pint after pint of this on a hot day in Texas. It easily stands up to and exceeds its German counterparts and I would take it over just about any classic German Hefe.

4.75/5  rDev +8.7%

Served in an Ayinger weizen glass.

Mega thanks to jefferz5000 for this tasty treat!

I've heard some pretty gnarly things about this brew, particularly about it being the best hefe on the planet. The time has finally come for me to test these hyperbolic statements. It pours a rather cloudy straw, reminiscent of a carrot-orange-banana juice blend I sampled about a decade ago in Vienna (that's Austria, not Virginia). Nearly two fingers of white suds top it off, subsiding into a fine layer after a short respite. Honestly, this is what it looks like when books show representatations of hefeweizens. Archetypal all the way. So far, the hype has been lived up to. We'll see how the rest goes. The nose comprises banana, red apple, Granny Smith apple (they're both in there...trust me), caramel, cinnamon, nutmeg, orange peel, and a slight breadiness. My brain is awash with visions ranging from the sugary apple slices from my old local Bell's Orchard (it is missed) to a haystack standing in a citrus grove. I haven't wanted to drink a beer based on its smell this badly in some time. The taste holds notes of banana, orange zest, cloves, nutmeg, wheat, a light pepper, and pumpkin seeds. I'll say it: Damn, what a tasty hefe! It misses out on perfection by the slimmest of margins...I don't know what it would take to push it over, but I do know a tiny something is indeed missing. Nonetheless, this beer exhibits how every hefeweizen wishes it could taste. The body is a light medium, with low carbonation and a slight grainy feel. People: believe the hype. Best hefe on the planet? I just might have to accede to that, baby! Get some!!

4.75/5  rDev +8.7%

Growler acquired in a trade with stopbarking; been looking forward to this for a while. Split with Rhinos00, my portion being served in an Erdinger Hefeweizen glass.

A- Pours a very hazy golden straw with a huge, billowy, white head that recedes to a dense 1/4" to 1/2" foamy white layer. When held up to any light, this beer glows like a lamp. Due to the haze, not much visible carbonation or beading. Splotches of lacing all over the inside of the glass. So true to style, this would be perfect if it had better head retention.

S- Clove, spice, and bubble gum dominate. Wheat and lemon in the background. Prototypical hefeweizen flavors, but more intense in all aspects with more complexity.

T- Again, clove, spice, bubblegum, wheat, and lemon. Some yeasty breadiness with an incredible citrus tang in the finish that really elevates this beer to the upper tier. Everything I love in a hefeweizen, times ten. The volume is turned up full blast on this one.

M- Medium bodied with a snappy finish. Surprisingly tiny bubbles with carbonation that leans toward the lower end of the spectrum. This is least impressive aspect of this beer, but still deserves a good grade.

D- 10 out of 10. Multiple growler session would not be out of the question if I thought my bladder could stand up to the challenge. One of the most sessionable beers I've had the pleasure of trying and the best hefeweizen I have ever had. I would love to have this straight from the source.

4.75/5  rDev +8.7%

This beer is one of the best hefeweizen's out there. And it's right up the road in Austin! A real mouthfull of thick sweetness, but not too malty. A great summer beer on a hot day in Texas. It's too bad they don't put this in bottles or I would drink a lot more of it.

4.75/5  rDev +8.7%

Reviewed from notes 12/20/2010.
Many thanks to Jefferz5000 for this wonderful growler of beer. Can't wait for growler #2.

A: typical for a wheat beer, but also has some undertones of citrus fruit. Also noticed a hint of some spice scents, perhaps corriander.

Ap: golden yellow with a 1 finger crisp white head full of small frothy bubbles. The head dissipated quickly.

B/T: mild carbonation, pleasant on the tongue. Not overly carbonated, but just enough to taste like there was carbonation there. A nice crisp, clean beer.

Af: very crisp, typicaly for the wheat style. It has a hint of citrus fruit that pairs nicely with the light wheat flavor. Not much bitterness at all. Sweet, with a crisp finish.

O: Perfect reminder of summer on a cold, snowy, wintery day on the east coast! If only everyday could end with a pint of this on the deck, life would be grand!

Cheers!
The CPJ

4.75/5  rDev +8.7%

On-tap at the brewery during their tour.

A - Pours a beautiful hazy yellow-orange with a nice white head that sticks to the sides.
S - Subtle hints of bananna, bubble-gum, some cloves. A touch of bready yeastyness as well.
T - Delicious. Bananna and clove, just like the nose, with a fruity/citrus splash on the finish.
M - Good carbonation, medium body, smooth crisp finish.
O - Top notch. Third time I've had this brew and it never disappoints. Tasty, drinkable and refreshing. I wish this was available in Atlanta...

4.77/5  rDev +9.2%

thanks to barefootbrewer for a bottle of this fine brew! Ordinarily I don't condone the bottling of growler and on tap only brews but my hats off on to the original bottler of this fine brew. The last time I had a hefe this good it was carried off a plane from germany!

A - Hazy golden yellow color with a solid white head

S - citrus, clove, banana, wheat and bready malts

T - similar to the nose but so lively, so well balanced it's hard to justify in words.

M - medium bodied, nicely carbonated, crisp zesty finish

D - yes sir, may I have another? I really need to get a growler of this shipped to me so I can enjoy this with my friends!

4.77/5  rDev +9.2%

A- Pale hazy yellow with a nice white head that seems to fade before the beer reaches the half way point of my pint glass. No real lacing to speak of.

S- Lots of ripe banana smells and full of cloves and yeast and everything nice that goes into an outstanding smelling heffe.

M- Nothing offensive with some nice carbonation and a very smooth delivery.

D- For a style that I'm not always crazy about I absolutely loved this beer and had no problem draining the whole growler into my glass.

4.77/5  rDev +9.2%

A- Pour a nice cloudy golden yellow with a nice think bubbly white head. Leaves a nice white lacing that remained about the entire time.

S- Wonderful smell. Every time a smelled this brew I think I picked up something new. I would say pretty complex with everything from banana, clove, and wheat.

T- Once again this was incredible. Extremely smooth. Again I could taste some many different flavours here also. Amazing balance and just plain wonderful.

M- Maybe a little thick compared to most Hefe's but nothing wrong with it. This brew felt great maybe even a little grainy but was just plain awesome.

D- I was a little upset when I ran out of this brew. Couldn't get enough.

A HUGE thanks to JonathanL7890 for this one!

4.77/5  rDev +9.2%

Poured from a growler into a weizen glass. Huge thanks to xpimptastikx for the opportunity to try this one!

Straw-colored pour. A careful pour still yields a monster three finger head. Nice, thick white foam retains well, but sadly doesn't leave much behind. Still, a very promising pour from the growler.

Very yeasty nose. Lots of banana and bubblegum immediately jump out at me. There's also some wheat-y tartness and a citric fruity scent.

Live Oak HefeWeizen has a great collection of flavors...a flavor that keeps me a little more interested in it than most hefes. Nice wheat-y tartness, lots of bready malt, bananas, bubblegum, citrus (I'm leaning toward orange), and stinging, almost tongue-numbing spice. Really enjoy how this one isn't overly clove-y.

The texture of this beer seems impossible. It's soft and creamy, while being lively and tingly. That shouldn't add up, but it does here. Body is a bit lighter than I expected (I'd guess medium), but without being watery or thin.

The drinkability is off the charts. A lot of hefeweizens (and a lot of other styles, too) have been easy drinkers simply because of a low ABV and a lack of offensive flavors. However, Live Oak's HefeWeizen's great flavor pushes it beyond the rest. If I could give it a 6, I would. This is as good as I've had thus far. Generally, I like to drink a 12oz bottle or two a night, and call it quits. It's usually a chore for me to drink much more than that. Yet this growler was gone in no time. Can't recommend it highly enough.

4.77/5  rDev +9.2%

Appearance: A soft and nearly opaque honey-pale-straw-yellow pour with almost no head, looks raw, cloudy, unfiltered, and delicious.

Smell: Ample yeast, cloves, grass, banana, wheat

Taste: Grain, yeast, bread, Banana in a big way, citrus, grass, banana, pineapple, touch of sweetness and orange

Mouthfeel: Nice full texture, better than any other hefe.

Drinkability: Perfect in this regard, it disappears. All the elements come together perfectly in this one, particularly outside in the Austin, TX heat.

4.78/5  rDev +9.4%

A - Hazy darker yellow straw in color. Thick bone white with excellent retention

S - Cloves, banana, spices, honey, maybe a smidge of lemon

T - Wheaty like chewing on some fresh bread, with spicey clove and banana coming in but not overdone. Excellent HEFE.

Mouthfeel - If you are sweating your ass off or in the mood for some refreshing beer this is the one. Smooth and enjoyable

This beer gets alot of hype on here and I think its well deserving of it. Everyone should try this beer.

4.78/5  rDev +9.4%

One of the great pleasures of my trip to Austin. On a side note the brewery tour was nice. Only down side was I was with 11 guys for a bachelor party. Review from tap at the Alamo Draft House.

A: The cloudiest heff that I have ever had the pleasure to see. A nice bright golden color with some yeast floating around in the glass. Decent amount of head for the style as well.

S: Spot on. Tons of banana and clove. The wheat is there and is fairly strong as well. A touch of bubblegum in the finish.

T: God damn this is nice. Everything you want in perfect balance. The wheat and the yeast. Not too much banana not too much clove.

M: It was a little thick and stuck to my throat on the way down. While a little bit off for the style I found it enjoyable.

D: I am pleased to say I drank the shit out of the beer while in Austin. Just a great beer. I would session this then stab you to get some more. The BEST example of the style I have ever had. Have not been to Germany yet though....

4.79/5  rDev +9.6%

Appearance: Fresh off a new keg. No head formation, which is odd for a wheat beer. On top of that, I could seriously pitch this beer into some wort and it would ferment. There was so much yeast in my beer that it looked like someone shook up a yeast vial and dumped it in.

Smell: Heavy banana with lots of sweet wheat malt. A subtle clove aroma lingers in the background.

Taste: full bodied with very strong and spicy clove phenols. Light banana esters and some yeast nuttiness.

Notes: Its very good. I like how the esters were heavy in the aroma and low in the taste while the phenols were low in the aroma and heavy in the taste. Very interesting and very good.

4.79/5  rDev +9.6%

Poured into a pint glass at Draught house in Austin, TX

Appearance: It pours a cloudy yellow/orange with a fingers worth of fluffy white head. I was surprised the head retention was not what I expected, but that could have been because the beer was a little too cold. Never the less this is what I expect a Hefeweissen to look like.

Aroma: Very proportionate amounts of banana, clove, a little bit of bread, and a touch of citrus come wafting out of the glass on my first sniff. Some hefeweissens can be too heavy on these aromas, but this one is not.

Taste: Banana, spicy notes and a tinge of tartness from the wheat. Very balanced, no one taste stands out in an over powering way, they all work with each other, complimenting each other.

Mouthfeel: Refreshing. This is the perfect summer beer. It’s extremely bubbly and it tickles and dances on your tongue.

Overall: This is without a doubt a world class hefeweissen and the best I have ever had. I lived in Germany for 16 weeks and had my fair share of hefeweissens and this is the best one I have ever had, rivaled only be Weihenstephan, but they had a little bit of a head start on Live Oak. It’s a shame they don’t bottle so more people could experience this beer. I'm thankful to live in Texas and can enjoy this beer whenever I want.

4.8/5  rDev +9.8%

I've had this on-tap three times since moving to Austin and will review the most recent occasion, at Malagas Tapas and Bar on Saturday night.

Served a hazy, hefe yellow-orange in a pint glass with about a finger of pillowy white head. As others have noted, the color gradually changes from the top of the glass to the bottom. I felt this serving came a little colder than I would've preferred, and the rich aroma of bananas, clove, and citrus took a while to come out.

The pleasant smell of this beer is nothing compared to its taste, however. The banana and citrus--I got more lemon than in the past, and still took in plenty of orange--were up front, and the clove is deliciously spicy. An overall bubble gum flavor is present, particularly when the beer is colder.

Mouthfeel is creamy and full, no watered-down domestic hefe here. I'd love to sit down for a few of these, and hope to in the months to come.

4.8/5  rDev +9.8%

Honestly, I thought the Texas boys who reviewed this were skewing their numbers a bit on this one out of Texan pride, but seriously I'll confirm it, this is one serious Hefe! On tap @ the Ginger Man, Austin TX.

It doesn't get much better than this, especially from an upstart American brewer like this one, but this definatly ranks right up there with it's Bavarian counterparts.

Pours a bright gold in color with significant cloudiness. A nice one fingered white head accompanied with great retention. Nose was mouth watering, a wonderful balance of banana and clove, quite spicy, everything you expect from a great Hefe. Taste did not disappoint, following the strong profile in the nose. This is a powerful Hefe, reminds me of a dunkel in the taste department in some respects.

If I could get my hot little hands on this more often I'd sure as hell do it. C'mon Michigan brewers! Top this one!

Slàinte!

4.8/5  rDev +9.8%

Presentation: Poured from draft tap to a nonic style pint glass.

A: This beer pours a perfect 2 finger head without the bartender even trying. It is golden, orange, and hazy in appearance. Probably the best I've ever seen a hefeweizen look. Lots of nice carbonation and bubbles pouring from the bottom of this one. The only thing that would have made it any better would have been more lacing on the glass. Good, but not perfect.

S: Lots of lemon zest as well as other citrus in the nose. The clove is very present. Some people have said banana is very forward in this one. While it is there it's certainly not standing out like in Aventinus, Weihenstephaner Hefe, or others which are highly known for that banana signature. I sometimes find that off-putting so for me this one smells exceptional. Clean, crisp, tart, citrusy, clove spiciness, and subdued banana.

T: Wow. That was my impression on first tasting this. I was driving in the car thinking of how to describe this one today and the analogy came to me. It's like listening to a well-recorded piece of music on a VERY good speaker. All of the elements are there, perfectly balanced and none outshining the others. This hefe is tart like a Schneider in the perfect way, spicy and mild notes of banana like a Weihenstephaner, and has the great citrus notes like Julius Echter. For me this is the perfect hefeweizen. It was just kegged yesterday so it was tapped the same day I had it and god it's good. Even the foam on top tasted amazing. Normally I just try to drink through most of the foam, but on this one I wanted to actually ingest it.

M: Perfectly carbonated, meaning there was a lot of it. It's slick and oily (good for me), slightly creamy, nicely carbonated, and awesome. If it was a little creamier in the mouth it would be a 5.0.

D: Absolutely off the charts. I think I could drink more of this particular beer than any beer I've ever sampled. I tend to drink multiple beers in a given evening, but when this is available I will drink it all night and not be upset about it in the least. If I could give this a higher score it would get it.

When people talk about their favorite beers you often don't know what they mean or what their perspective is. Maybe they've only tried 10 different beers in their life. Compared to other BA's I've had a relatively small amount (probably 250 different beers) but this is one that absolutely lives up to the hype. It's tart, citrusy, has a slight wheat backbone so as not to be heavy, banana, clove, spice, perfect carbonation, smells delicious, looks great. There is no one area where this beer falters. Could it be improved? Maybe. For me this is a top 3 beer without question. I will be having more of this while it's available on draft in Dallas.

4.8/5  rDev +9.8%

BIG thanks to Monsone for busting out this growler at the BA Meetup @ Goose Island yesterday...

Let me just get this out of the way early: This is EASILY the best HefeWeizen I've ever had.

Now on to the review...

Appearance was outstanding - mysteriously murky & cloudy golden straw color (leaning a bit towards orange). Dense layer of foamy white head that left a spotty ring of lacing around the glass.

Aroma was great - some banana and wheat - just as you'd expect, but with a great deal of nuance.

Flavor was spectacular - more of the banana and smooth wheat, but also a soft, tangy twinge of sweet citrus came through that put this one into another stratosphere for me... gone was the bite you sometimes get from a hefe - this is just extremely well balanced and super smooth.

Carbonation is there (as evidenced by the nice layer of head I got on my pour), but the mouthfeel is amazingly silky. Again - another outstanding quality of this beer.

I could drink this stuff all day and am already dreaming of the next time I'll get to try it, so hopefully I can get my hands on a growler sometime soon here...

4.8/5  rDev +9.8%

Got a glass only because of the rating on this website. I'm not a fan of Hefe styles. Presented a faded caramel cloudy liquid with a half finger clingy head. Smells ginger zing, banana, clove, yeast, and a touch of lemon.

Tastes reserved malt sweet with smaller players of clove and esters (banana and pear) that were well rounded into each other. Citrusy notes are lemon and oranges, which I think may be from hop flavoring. Hop bitter was not detected, but could be there amid the gentle clove. Malt in the finish, but the beer cleans from the palette quite nicely. Medium smooth body and md-strong carbonation. Immensely drinkable. A truely amazing example of the style.

4.8/5  rDev +9.8%

I drank this on tap into a pint glass.

The beer pours a deep murky gold with two fingers of white head. Good retention, leaving a soaopy head, ok lacing.

The aroma is strong with clove dominating in a wonderful with a light honey finish, nice sweetness to balance.

The taste is super smooth starting out a little sweet with a great clove finish.

The feel is great, with a nice sweet lasting finish.

Easy drinker.

Overall, this was a great treat. By far the best hefe I've ever had. Search out this treat.

4.82/5  rDev +10.3%

Acquired via trade from jtortorice, so a big "Thank You" goes out to him. Poured from a 64oz growler into a weizen glass.

A: The beer is a cloudy gold color, with a short white head that fades quickly and leaves a thin lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is of wheat, bananas, spices, citrus, light caramelized malts and a touch of hops.

T: The taste starts out bready with strong flavors of wheat and yeast. Then some sweet flavors of bananas, spices and citrus come in. The malt character is hearty but not too heavy and there's a mild but complementary hops presence that help provide a very good balance. The after-taste is slightly bready and slightly sweet.

M: Crisp and very smooth, medium body, medium carbonation, finish is clean.

D: Very tasty, goes down quite easily, not too filling, mild kick, very good representation of style, this is an excellent sessionable beer with all of the flavor and substance that make it worth drinking for an entire evening.

4.82/5  rDev +10.3%

Served on tap into a shaker glass.

A- Poured a hazy and bright golden color with frothy white head that left chunky lace.

S- Big pear, bubblegum, clove, citrusy, and banana notes in the aroma. A big juicy fruitiness and some astringency in the aroma.

T- Big tangy banana, juicy citrusy notes, bubblegum, clove, and light pear notes. Very juicy.

M- Prickly carbonation, very smooth, medium body, dry, and refreshing.

O- This is a world class and full-flavored hefeweizen. I am very impressed and this is among the most complex and flavorful hefeweizens I have ever had as someone who loves the style.

4.82/5  rDev +10.3%

Multiple samples at 2009 GABF.

With all the extreme beer available at the GABF, this was the only hefe I tried. It's reputation as one of the world's best is deserved, this is fantastic beer.

The wheat produces a crackery grain flavor that pairs with the typical banana and a mild clove note. This beer may not wow some people, but anyone that has experienced a selection of top-notch hefes will know right away that this is no ordinary beer.

There is just something about it, those wheat, banana, and clove flavors are simply amazing. Perhaps the flavors are just a bit brighter or deeper, maybe it is the creamy smooth body, but I can't name a better American made Hefeweizen and I would be hard pressed to name a better German take on the style...ok, maybe Weihenstephaner, but its close.

Now they just need to bottle more of it and start shipping cases to Denver!

Live Oak HefeWeizen from Live Oak Brewing Company