Microbrew Invitational

Style: Hefeweizen

Added by BeerAdvocate on 04-07-2003

Reviews: 420 | Ratings: 1,440
4.65/5  rDev +6.4%

Received today tjkinate. Thanks!

Pours a murky yellow with a thin white head.

Good lemon and bubblegum aroma with banana and faint hints of clove.

First taste is heavy in lemon with some bubblegum. Lots of good banana flavor throughout similar to the nose. Finishes crisp with light noble hop bitterness. Just a touch of clove.

Thin mouthfeel and good carbonation level. About right for the style.

Finally get to try this highly rated beer and it doesn't disappoint. Subtle flavors are spot on. Banana and lemon are highly present and clove is low, just how I like my hefes. Oustandingly smooth. I could drink this all day.

4.65/5  rDev +6.4%

got a pint on draft at the local gingerman.

A: this beer is a murky yellow white. nice one finger head that lingers for a couple of minutes.

S: Always an amazing smell. smells like someone already put a lemon in there. can smell grains

T: definitely got a citrus, lemony kinda thing going on here. This is an especially good hefewiezen, in my opinion. grains, perfect amount of hops to bring balance

M: perfect mouthfeel. medium to full body. fully carbonated.

D: could drink these all night until i pass out.

This beer rocks.

4.65/5  rDev +6.4%

Cloudy golden-yellow body with a creamy alabaster head. Leaves nice, thin, long sheets of lace as the beer is imbibed. The nose is all bubble tape original bubble gum, cloves and banana. The taste shows bubble gum, wheat malt, coriander, banana and freshly juiced pear. The real highlight of this beer is the mouthfeel. It's what makes this example unique. Without a doubt this hefe' has the thickest, heaviest, creamiest, most luxurious feel I've ever experienced for the style. This mouthfeel belongs on an Imperial Stout! Extremely tasty and drinkable, a treat and unique experience. I am lucky to have this available on tap nearby and will have this one frequently from this point on.

4.65/5  rDev +6.4%

This beer had a helluva lot to live up to, and when all was said and done, I would say it surpassed expectations and lived up to its rarefied status. Had it on tap at the Draughthouse in Austin, which is a very unique place in it's own right. Poured a rich golden orange with two-finger of off white head with excellent retention. Tasted sweet and spicy and big on the bananas, oranges, orange peel and cloves. There was a certain breadiness involved that lead to a mouth-feel that was more on the medium side, which did not in any way detract from it's drinkability. Shared a couple of pitchers with friends, and will definitely head back to the draughthouse for more when I'm able to get back down to Austin. I hear that Live Oak is going to expand and begin bottling their beers in the near future. That is great news, and I seriusly hope they decide to distribute to their northern neighbors some day.

4.65/5  rDev +6.4%

A - Hazy golden yellow in color. Thick white head with excellent retention but very little lacing.

S - Cloves an a hint of lemon. Yeasty smell as well, a little bit of banana.

T - Wheaty flavor with banana and a nice spice. Excellent tasting hefe.

M/D - Incredibly smooth but still full of flavor. The most drinkable hefeweizen I have ever had.

Belive the hype.

4.65/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This is my favorite American hefeweizen. It is a poster child for the style. It pours a cloudy pale yellow with a fluffy white head. It hit all the right aroma and flavor notes you expect from a hefe. It's not just one of my favorite local beers, it's one of my favorite beers period.

4.66/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Body is a very cloudy, very yellow wheaty color, almost seems to glow; looks amazing. The head is pretty small for a hefe but sticks around for a while, and the smaller head is probably due to being in a growler a few days anyway. (EDIT: I gave a much more aggressive pour for my second glass and the head was a lot better.)

Smell is intense yeast, lots of sweet banana, cloves and light peppery spice. Got to be the sweetest most intense nose I've smelled on a hefeweizen.

And the taste is just as good or better. So much banana! So much yeast. Just a reall intense and delicious wheat character, mild pepper and clove and mild tartness to provide balance. Truly delicious.

Mouthfeel is incredibly creamy, very well carbed, very full and rich body. Excellent.

This is definitely the best hefeweizen I've had. I was 't sure what to expect or what was supposed to make this beer exceptional but now I get it; it's really a classic hefe taste but just so intense and perfectly executed. Heavy on the sweetness and banana, light on the spice and tartness. Fantastic beer.

9.4/10

4.66/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A great beer, poured draft into a shaker pint with a white head and nice lacing. The smell was pungent and floral. The taste was fresh and crisp. Some citrus and a nice slightly spicy bite. I really enjoyed it but had to leave town to find it! It was a very nice cap on a great day I spent with my daughter! This beer will be associated with a wonderful memory for me. It seems appropriate!

4.67/5  rDev +6.9%

Had this in Houston for Monday's Flying Saucer pint night.

Simply stated, this is a beer I dream about. The pour from bar was served with intentionally no head and presented a cloudy lemonade yellow. The nose I can't get out of my head - bubblegum, banana, clove, and lightly shaved lemon zest. The amazing aroma softened the paralleled aroma but added a meddling candi taste which lends an exceptional drinkability and had a nice feel. Chip has not only created a benchmark HefeWeizen but BA's #14 beer on Earth and #10 American Beer!

4.67/5  rDev +6.9%

Poured this from a growler into a weizen glass. Thanks very much to screach for the trade and especially for getting it here so quick.

Appears a cloudy golden color with a one inch white head that is slowly rising above the rim. Ends up leaving some very nice lacing down the side of the glass.

The aroma is the perfect balance of clove and banana. At first the banana seems to dominate but with a deeper inhale the clove is right there with it and they blend together wonderfully. There are also some less noticeable bubble gum and apple esters. All that plus the wheat malt makes this one the tops.

Similar to the aroma there is an initial banana ester character but it quickly blends with the tangy breadiness of the wheat malt and then the clove flavor comes out in the finish.

Mouthfeel is medium-light, not quite as light as many Hefeweizens. It has a nice creamy consistency to it as well. Extremely drinkable and gets even better as it warms up a little bit. I had no problem finishing the growler in one sitting.

This one was very enjoyable for sure. Almost reminds me of a homebrew that I made but this one is better. This one is actually not overrated.

4.67/5  rDev +6.9%

I had this on a recent trip to Austin. It was a very light straw color with a very small head. The smell was a sweetness that reminded me of a fruit plate. Banana's, melon, and clove. Very nice! The taste was the same as the nose. Very great balance all the way around. This was a very drinkable beer on a hot Texas day and anywhere else too. I could enjoy alot of these!

4.67/5  rDev +6.9%

Crazy delicious. This is one of those bittersweet trades - very happy for the taste but I'll want more soon (thanks SatansLH via reddit). Live Oak's Hefeweizen is definitely my new favorite American hefeweizen and possibly my favorite overall (sorry, Weihenstephan).

Pours a color right between a banana and an orange. It's quite hazy with a big white head, just right for the style (and a relief to see coming out of a growler).

The aroma is a mouthwatering blend of bananas and clove. It's a sweet smell, chock full of yeast and wheat notes. It tends more toward the banana/bubblegum side of things than the spice, but the spice is definitely present. It smells like the batter of a spiced banana bread. There are some light lemony aromas floating around, as well. Just sublime.

The flavor is moderately sweet, a bit drier than some, though. The yeast did just the right amount of work on this beer. It's a bit lighter than other hefeweizens that I've tried, but it works for the beer. Live Oak should be commended for packing this much flavor into 4.1% abv.

The mouthfeel is nice and creamy. Lots of gentle little bubbles, even from a growler. It's incredible drinkable. One of the best session beers that I've ever tried. This is delicious beer.

4.68/5  rDev +7.1%

Received a hand bottled umm bottle in a trade after the growler broke in transit. Curse you UPS!

Pours a striking glowing gold, almost fluorescent. Very cool looking. Minimal head that quickly disappeared.

Lots of pear and citrus aromas, some banana. No clove.

Beer is very effervescent, well carbonated. Slightly tart. Loads of banana, only a very faint clove taste. Light bready taste. Green Apples, lemons, citrus all over. Some vanilla notes. Moderate body, surprising with all the carbonation. Bit of an odd aftertaste, not a clean finish.

Heard a lot of hype about this, especially from my friends in Texas. I must say, it lived up to the hype. A fantastic American Hefe, balanced, fruity, and unique. I would dare to say this is the best American style Hefeweizen in the US.
Live Oak would have a surefire hit if they released this in bottles, especially with distribution.

4.69/5  rDev +7.3%

Got this from Bgthang in a trade, thanks! I've been looking for this one for awhile.

Slightly cloudy yellow bodyw with a good sized head that dissapates quickly.

Smells great. Bannanas, clove and peppery yeasts, wheat. Definitely the best smelling-wheat beer I have encountered. Balanced aroma, excellent.

Taste follows the aroma, a great heffeweizen. Up front is the bannana and peppery yeast flavor and then the slight clove taste. Finishes with a good wheat bite and just a touch of citrus. Great heffeweizen. Mouthfeel is excellent also, just creamy enough for a heffe.

Exremely drinkable, my first Bomber dissappeared way to quickly. The best heffeweizen I have tried yet.

4.69/5  rDev +7.3%

Pours a light golden, somewhat hazy with lively carbonation and a medium creamy white head. Pretty good retention. Great on the nose. Banana, bubblegum, lemon zest, and light clove. Very inviting to say the least. Taste is also wonderful. A nice faint hoppiness that adds another dimension to this brew. Still banana and bubblegum which is more faint here. A very nice wheat flavor, doughy bread. Light clove and spice. Just mouth-watering. Soft and crisp but with a delicate creaminess, hard to explain. It's lovely and goes down far too easy. I need a growler of this stuff some time.

Cheers to tprokop7 for this most excellent treat!

4.69/5  rDev +7.3%

I got this properly bottled from a growler sample from brandoneast in a trade. Thanks Brandon!

This pours (after a nice fizz upon opening) a straw yellow with some orange hues with about an inch of foam. Holding the glass up, it looks like the classical hefeweizen. Very promising, me thinks. Head retention and lacing were not this brews strong points but it's still going to score decent because of the look of it.

The smell is wow. Lots of wheat and clove and lemon zest and other fruitiness. Very inviting.

The taste is great. All of the smells I noted are there in the flavour too. Delicious notes of corriander, clove, wheat, lemon, bubblegum, and an overall yeastiness that kicks major ass! It's going down way too easy so I better slow down. ;^)

It has a lightish mouthfeel and the carbonation is light as well. Appropriate for the style.

Drinkability? I'd say, judging by how quickly the 12oz bottle's contents are disappearing....great. This *is* an awesome Hefeweizen and I'm pleased as punch that I got to try it. Thanks again, Brandon!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Got this in my Secret Santa package from ballewblake. Thanks for everything once again Blake. Never thought I would try this.

A- Pours a very nice golden hazy yellow color. Good size one finger bone white head that dies down after a minute or two. Nice lacing was left on the sides of the glass the entire beer.

S- Very nice wheaty bready smell comes on first. Banana and light clove notes make up a big portion of the nose as a whole. This smells clean...kind of hard to explain what I mean.

T- The tastes in this beer are amazing. Everything is big and long with the tastes. Nice yeasty taste hits perfect with the clove banana. No one flavor takes over the other until the end when the banana seems to be the last flavor that gently fades away.

M- Medium mouthfeel. Carbonation was perfect for this beer. Kind of a creamy mouthfeel as well. Clove and banana is left on the palate well after the sips are done. This is also true with the aftertaste. Very clean taste and flavors are sharp!

D- This is just wow! I was very glad to have gotten the chance to try this beer. This has to be one of the top 3 Hefeweizen I have ever had. Hands down this is the best American Hefeweizen I have tasted.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On tap at The Ginger Man in Austin. Ratings are relative to the style.

A: beautiful, hazy gold with one finger of creamy white head. Moderate amounts of foamy lace on the glass. Gorgeous!

S: citrus, banana, wheat, creamy malt. If each ingredient were a tad more forward this would be a 5.0. The aroma invites you to take a sip...

T: lemon-citrus up front, turns creamy & malty with delicious wheat flavor showing itself strongly by the drink's end. Hints of banana linger after you swallow, temping you to taste again. This is among the best hefs I've ever tasted.

M: nearly full-bodied and unexpectedly creamy! Medium carbonation with a mild sting on your tongue as it lingers. Can't imagine anything better in this dept.

D: far too easy to drink. Goes down easily and is quite refreshing. I can't see myself ever not being in the mood for one of these. The ultimate session hef.

The only other hefeweizen I'd consider on par with this is the Augustiner Hefeweizen. Last I had it was before my days on BA, and unfortunately they don't ship that particular brew to the USA. Would love to compare them in a single sitting someday. But until then, I'm content crowning this brew Best Of Style.

4.7/5  rDev +7.6%

Thanks JDV for the opportunity to try this one also my first growler ever. Might as well start of with one of the best

Growler poured into my Ayinger Weizen Glass produced a good two fingers worth of head that settled down to a nice layer of lace on top of a cloudy apricot colored body It is a gorgeous looking Hefeweizen I wouldn't believe that a growler would keep this much carbonation

Aromas on this one is striking as well, you get wonderful banana bread in a glass type smell (bananas, cloves, Bread dough) Bubblegum as well

Yes wheat banana bread in a glass flavors as well a nice citrus bite

Mouthfeel is exceptional a little heaver than I expected for a wheat beer, nice crisp carbonation on your tongue.

Great drinking Hefeweizen I'll repeat the statements made before me I cant believe it was this good coming from a growler. Thanks again to JDV on shipping it right. If you have the fortunes to get a growler I say go for it. My new favorite Hefeweizen

4.71/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

A: A dark and cloudy golden/orange color. A two finger white head forms with good retention, and lace is left behind.
S: Huge citrus, tart lemon, banana, and peppery/clove aromas. Yeast, baked bread, husky wheat in spades. This is very pleasant and appealing to say the least.
T: Follows the nose nicely. The flavors are all very tart and sharp. That great hefeweizen yeast is oh so present. Plenty of citrus, banana, and clove again. Baked bread. Excellent.
M/D: Medium body and very dry and crisp. Smooth and creamy at the same time. Very refreshing. Incredibly easy to drink. Did I say this was smooth? I can session this all day long.

Probably the best American made hefe, and without a doubt the best beer made in Texas. This is a classic, and a review is not good enough to describe this beauty. Pretty much as good as it gets.

4.72/5  rDev +8%

Finally got a growler of this one as I've been dying to try it for awhile. Pours into my glass a hazy sunshine/straw yellow that's quite vibrant. A big inch head of creamy meringue white foam sticks to the top and has great staying power with sticky sheets of lacing as it slowly falls. Aromas begin with crisp wheat malt notes that are immediately engulfed in yeasty esters. Huge banana and clove lead the way with a spicy undertone and hints of bubblegum as well. Bold and fresh, the aroma is intoxicating. The yeast esters explode out of the glass...I can't find a thing wrong with this aroma :-)

First sip brings a smooth, crisp wheat malt upfront that leads into flavors of banana and clove. More light fruity notes move in along with a peppery spice. As it moves down the bubblegum comes out along with a touch of lemon zest and vanilla as well. There's a nice overall sweetness, but it is well placed. It finishes with a smooth yeasty kick that leaves a banana/spice aftertaste. Crisp with an enchanting flavor profile, I can't find any flaws in this brew. One of the best hefeweizens I've sampled without a doubt.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with a smooth creaminess imparted by the malt. Flows down with carbonation that is more towards the mellow side. This brew is extremely drinkable and makes for quite a session beer. Those of you who have regular access to this beer should consider yourselves very lucky, as this is the best American brewed hefeweizen I have ever tasted. Cheers to Live Oak for creating a brew that rivals its German counterparts and many thanks to JDV for supplying me with this tasty treat that I hope to have again.

4.72/5  rDev +8%

Had this on tap at the Ginger Man in Austin. Pours a hazy, cloudy yellow with a big fluffy white head. Head dissipates slowly leaving lots of lacing. Usually I tend to avoid American hefes because they can't compete with the Germans - typically there's way too much banana in the smell and taste. Not here however, as they've found the perfect balance for that banana clove aroma combination with a slight yeastyness in the back of the nose. The taste is equally exceptional, holding up to some of the best of the German examples. Nice light touch with the banana and clove again, clean malt backbone and a balanced touch of hop bitterness. Mouthfeel is light to moderate, leading to good drinkability. Very refreshing on a hot Texas day.

4.72/5  rDev +8%

Poured a cloudy yellowish orange with no noticeable head. There was a nice bread yeasty, banana, clove aroma. The flavors in this beers are perfectly balanced and delicious. A clove, banana, yeast flavor that mixes very well with a citrusy flavor. The finish is smooth clean and crisp and slightly bitter due to the sweet lemony citrus flavor. Incredible drinkability. I was sitting out in the beergarden, 80 degrees and the sun shining. It was the perfect beer for that occasion.

4.72/5  rDev +8%

Growler courtesy of jefferz5000, thanks so much! split three ways.

A: The beer pours a hazy light gold in color with a 1.5 finger head white head. The head has moderate retention and lacing. A beautiful looking beer.

S: The dominating smell of this beer is nutmeg and cloves. I wish there was a little more fruit on the nose.

T: The most flavorful hefeweise I have had. As contrasted to other hefes, there is less fruitiness. The dominating taste comes from the spices in this beer. In this beer there's flavors of nutmeg, cinnamon, cloves, and a little lemon zest, all perfectly balanced. By far the best tasting hefewisen I have had.

M: A little less carbonation that other beers of this class, but this is not a bad things as the spices in the beer add some zing that carbonation normally would.

D: For a 4.1 % ABV beer this has a ton of flavor. I would have this all day, any day. Too bad it's hard to come by in the Midwest. The people down in Texas are lucky to have this gem.

4.72/5  rDev +8%

A - It pours an orangey-peachy hue, pretty straight-up for the style; not so much head but that is likely from jostling the growler too much.

S - Way good aromas. Lots of banana nut bread, and the wild earthiness of a nice Saison, too.

T - The smell is exceptional; it is totally within the range of the traditionl Hefe, but it has an edge. I can't quite ascertain what that edge is, but it has a very dynamic flavor combination going on. Suggestions of banana and and a nutty-bready nuance, per usual, but additionally there is a slightly sour hay funk. Just a phenomenal Hefe, worthy of the hype.

M - Muy Buena. Wait, that's Texican; against BA rules, oui? I've had better mouthfeel from some of the traditional German Hefes, but this one tastes so good. And it could be that the growler-ing hurt the feel.

D - Seek this one out. It is outstanding.

Live Oak HefeWeizen from Live Oak Brewing Company