Live Oak HefeWeizen - Live Oak Brewing Company

Live Oak Brewing Company visit their website
Texas, United States

Hefeweizen |  5.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-07-2003

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Live Oak HefeWeizen Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,175 | Reviews: 376
4.03/5  rDev -7.8%

Thick dark creamy unfiltered uncanny looking hefe.

Deep clove aromas, hints of bubblegum and banana, yeast earthy banana leaves and hints of cocoa bean.

Clovey, hints of banana, but yeast n clove dominate only a slight bubblegummy. Good creamy with nice carbonation.

4.03/5  rDev -7.8%

Tried at the Flying Saucer Beer Emporium in houston, tx. Poured into tulip.

Hazy golden color, not my preferred beer style, but tasted of yellow banana, with a good head pour. Its light, too light for me, hops are low, mostly wheaty and grainy feel and texture. It made the top 100 list, Im sure I could understand if I had more respect for the wheat beers. Not yet, not yet.

4.03/5  rDev -7.8%

A-hazy yellow and very bubbly. Nice head. White lacing.
S-whear exudes from the gold in the cup
T-very tangy. Not so strong wheat flavor and gives more of a fruity flavor. Not bad
M-light, crisp and smooth
D-very drinkable and I do not like this style

4.04/5  rDev -7.6%

Served in a Sam Adam's Perfect Pint Glass

Thanks to jefferz5000 for letting me get my hands on this.

This beer pours a flat cloudy golden color. The aroma is a mixture of wheat, clove and candied sugar, specifically those necco candies that you get on valentines day. So I really enjoy the aroma. The candy continues into comprising the majority of the beer. There is a wheat flavor to the beer, but it is definitely subtle. The problem I have is the beer is flat, this is the best I can say. I wish I could of had it on tap, I'm sure it would be so much better.

4.04/5  rDev -7.6%

Last Friday I spent the majority of happy hour knocking back Weinstephaner Hefeweizens. I suppose I was spoiled. I had to set up a trade with Josh in Texas (Thanks jtortorice!) so that I could compare one of the best American hefe's with Europe's top offering.

Well, they just don't compare. Sad.

Live Oak's version is damn tasty though. And has a wonderful looking head. That aside though, it's very straw looking, almost changing in color from one part of the glass to another. Murky and wheaty, it sustains decent head, but seems to not have a lot going on for it. The smell is citric and sweet. Very inviting for a hefeweizen, and worthy for sure. The taste has a tiny hops bite up front, and then is citrus and orange juice, and finishes clean and watery. It's very wet, all the way through.

That makes it an easy drinker, especially at 4.1% alcohol by volume. The mouth feels light, both because of its light body and its lack of carbonation. It helps it in drinking, but I just feel like there's something lacking about this beer.

Like it's one misstep from completely average. For such a highly rated beer as this (#34 on my list!) I was expecting just a bit more.

4.05/5  rDev -7.3%

Sought out and sampled at GABF due to its very high overall rating, which is unusual for a hefe.

Pours a pale dark yellow with a good long lasting head. Aroma displays strong vanilla, some spice, and light clove. Bright banana is more evident in the flavor. Body is solidly medium and perhaps a touch full for the style. Phenolics are obviously dominate, but their flavors are not as varied and blended as the greatest weissbeers are. Overall, a very nice hefeweizen, but I think not quite as good as some of the classic german versions like Weihenstephan.

4.05/5  rDev -7.3%

22 oz glowing, label-less bottle

LO Hefe pours a hazy, pale yellow color with a good bubble show directly after the pour. It sports a 1/2 inch white head with small plumes of rising carbonation. The nose is big and fruity, loads of banana notes, apple, melon and a soft wheat/yeast aroma. The grainy texture that appears immediately while tasting soon turns creamy as the semi-spicy wheat notes balance out with the citrusy hop character. Other tasting notes or orange rind, nuts, yeast, pepper and cloves. This is a good beer, definitely a solid hefe... not for the weak. Good drinkability.

The second pour was much more hazy in appearance , causing a bigger yeast tone throughout the rest of the glass.

4.06/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

On tap into a hefeweizen glass at the Meddlesome Moth in Dallas, Texas. Reviewed from notes dated June 10, 2015.

A-The beer is very cloudy and very light in color, even for a hefe. It almost looks like a white IPA. The head on my beer is too short, about a finger, but that may be the server and not the beer. Retention is good, but not great.

S-The aroma is slightly odd with less wheat and lactic flavors that many beers of this style. There is almost a malted aroma here that I was not anticipating. The typical banana/clove profile is here and is pretty well done, but I am not getting much complexity.

T-The taste is better than the smell with more fruit and interesting flavors. I get some lemon, orange, and the banana/clove flavors you would expect. The lightly tart, lactic flavors build on my palate as the beer warms.

M-The body is nice and light with a bit more crispness than many of the style.

O-This is pretty good American hefeweizen, but I was hoping for GREAT one, and this beer just doesn't compare to German variants. On the one hand, this beer is less spicy and yeasty than I would expect, but on the other hand, it reminds me more of a spiced Belgian wit than a hefeweizen. I dunno, I may have to revisit this one.

4.07/5  rDev -6.9%

Thanks to screach for the chance to try this beer. It was quite the effort on screach's part, the first package broke and never made it. Replaced and sent again, the growler ended up leaking a bit but, fortunately still made it to my hands. And so goes the story...

Pours a hazy bright yellow color, quite cloudy, not much head and lack of carbonation as a result of the leak.

Smell has a crazy amount of banana and clove coming off this thing, don't think I've ever smelled a hefe as strong as this.

Taste is similar to the smell in that the clove and banana is quite prevalent, slight citrus/lemon presence but not nearly as dominating as other hefe's tend to be, some other spiciness ends up hitting the mouth in the far aftertaste, carbonation is almost nil (as a result of the journey) so I'm not entirely sure how much carbonation is usual for this beer.

An interesting hefeweizen since it's not as yeasty or lemony as most hefe's that are available but still has a really strong taste too it, sometimes too much though.

4.07/5  rDev -6.9%

thanks thanks to wagenvolks for sending this out. enjoyed with olieipa.

pours a cloudy golden straw color with a half finger white head that flashes in the pan and is gone. slight lacing.

smell is full of banannas cloves wheat malts and full of estery goodness.

taste is yummy. a bit of banana with some spicy cloves. a subtle sweetness. very tasty.

overall a very tasty hef. would love to drink more of it. drinkble to t. thanks drew.

4.07/5  rDev -6.9%

Thanks to Michael for sending a growler of this my way.

A: The pour is somewhat light for a hefeweizen, tending toward a pale straw color with plenty of cloudiness and a white head.

S: A bit of the traditional banana and clove esters, but not all that intense. The wheat comes through nicely, as does a hint of citrus.

T: The yeasty esters are not as dominant as I normally like in my hefeweizens. The banana and clove are certainly there, but not they don't steal the show. Orange peel and wheat round things out, with maybe just a bit of lemon.

M: Somewhat light in body with a moderate level of carbonation.

D: I can see why this beer is so popular, especially for people down in Texas. Quite easy to drink, light, and refreshing.

4.07/5  rDev -6.9%

1l Growler from gawnphishin...Thanks Reed!

A - Hazy yellow with a white fluffy head. No/minimal lacing. Evident carbonation.
S - Banana bread is number 1 here. Other slight fruity elements, perhaps some yeastiness. Very clean, pleasant scent.
T - Bananas, very slight hint of clove. Some graininess that I can only assume is from wheat. A bit weaker taste than smell, but it is very clean and very pleasant. Really pleasant yeasty element, with just a slight hint of citrusy hoppiness coming through.
MF - Pretty thin. A slightly creamy/oiliness but not much.
O - Very nice, pleasant beer. Great session beer (well, almost) - I easily drank a 32oz growler of this and wanted more. Super easy drinker, very pleasant beer, especially for someone who doesn't want to get wasted two nights before a race. I really appreciate the ABV of this one, I feel a lot less bad drinking it ;)

4.07/5  rDev -6.9%

Huge thanks goes to jtortorice for sending this growler my way. Shared with my local tasting crew.

A: Cloudy golden yellow. Small white head leaves tiny bits of soapy lace.

S: Modest mix of banana, clove, wheat and yeast. Not super potent but nicley done.

T: The wheat profile is much stronger in the flavor. Clove, bubblegum, banana and nice yeasty finish. Slight citrus bite as well.

M: Medium to light body with soft carbonation. Smooth.

D: Overall a very nice American hefe. Super drinkable. This is my second time trying this and I would have to say that hype may play a small roll in inflating the scores.

4.08/5  rDev -6.6%

Seems pretty dark for a hefe'....pours with a nice two finger head and some effervescent bubbles.

The smell is a tad mustier than I prefer, but everything underneath that layer of must is excellent. Obviously the usual clove/yeast/yadda yadda yadda...a very nice pink bubble gum aroma becomes prominent after some swirling opens it up a bit.

The taste also has a bit of crayon/must in the forefront which is a bit of a turnoff. Underneath is a nice layer of yeast and banana peel, but surprisingly not a lot of other complexities. I know we all talk of "expectations" and how they can be a killer, and I think that may be the case here with me. I am enjoying this beer enough that my glass is disappearing with the speed of a Bud Light, but for some reason it just isn't wowing me.

Mouthfeel is very nice...medium bodied with soft carbonation. Pretty much spot on for how I want the style to feel.

Drinkability is off the charts, as mentioned by the previous Bud Light reference (tongue in cheek). I don't feel like this contends with some of the others at the top of the style, and not even with the best American Hefe' (Dancing Man Wheat), but nonetheless it is a very fine beer that only suffers from one real fault.

4.08/5  rDev -6.6%

Hand bottled by thickerfreakness. Thanks for sharing.

A - Pours a straw pale yellow with a thin white head and nice retention.

S - Banana with spice and clove and a light wheat aroma. Somewhat light.

T - Spicy with a light banana and bublegum as it warms. Light wheat bready flavor also in the background.

M - Light and crisp with a very dry finish. It almost has the feel of a lager and the extrememly dry finish almost takes away from the refreshing qualities.

D - A very good hefe but I was a little disappointed after all the hype. I honestly think Dancing Man Wheat by New Glarus was better. I still would recommend this beer to anyone that can get it. Thanks for sharing thickerfreakness.

4.1/5  rDev -6.2%

Growler, thanks to Phoenix2443. Shared at the CCB Hunahpu release. Poured into my Stone IRS tulip.

A: Cloudy, straw, yellow color. The pour drops a small finger of white head that does not retain well. It's just a touch flat, I don't think this was a counter pressure fill.

A: Big banana and fruit esters. Sweet malts, wheat, and an earthy hoppiness lead to a small oak aroma as well.

T: Same as the nose. Earthy, bannana, pear, and a clove finish. I think the bannana could have been toned down a bit, but style wise, it is right on par. Crisp and clean finish.

M: Light to medium body, low levels of carbonation, probably due to the growler fill.

D and overall impression: I could drink quite a lot of this brew. It would be just what I would reach for on a hot summer afternoon. Overall, I really liked this beer. If the bannana was just a little less, I think this could've been close to excellent, but because of that, it's just very good. Would have again, but only through a proper growler fill or on tap. Skal.

4.1/5  rDev -6.2%

Thanks very much to stopbarking for sending me a growler of this, which I have been wanting to try for a while now. Poured in to a Paulaner glass, the color is a hazed gold, with almost half the glass filled with fluffy white heading. Nose is nice and wheaty, with the usual hints of clove, and citrus. More of the same from the flavor. Mouthfeel is light and thirst quenching. Drinkability is a no brainer on a hot Summer day. For once an American brewery makes a Hef that can stand alongside its German counterparts. Well done

On-tap at Flying Saucer/Houston

From Notes:
An opaque banana yellow with a nice head. A sweet, tart aroma which follows through to the taste. Very fruity, cirtusy, and yeasty. Crisp and easy to drink, with slight carbonation.

A very good example of a hefeweizen. We got a keg for a party and it definitely went over well with everyone.

4.1/5  rDev -6.2%

Pours a hazy straw gold color with a small white head that quickly recedes. Aroma is a nice nutty and sweet wheat and lemon, good amount of cloveyness as well. Taste follows with the clove spice coming thru well and blending with a soft wheatiness, lemons and a little banana sweetness. Light in body, verging on creamy but slightly thinner, a nice grassy bitterness is light but dries the tongue and adds a little crispness. This beer is extremely easy to drink, quite refreshing with a great balance of flavors, great example of the style. Thanks to Deniz for the opportunity.

4.11/5  rDev -5.9%

Had this on tap at Hay Merchant in Houston.

Nice hefeweizen appearance as it was a slightly cloudy yellow and had a pure white head with good lacing. The nose was nice and creamy and had some nice clove notes along with a small hint of banana and lemon peel. The taste pretty much was spot on, slightly bitter which I was surprised at, it could have been simply the carbonation, but great taste otherwise. Nice malt base with caramel malts mixed with the banana and clove, I agree it's better balanced than others in this category, but I actually enjoy a nice banana-y hefe. Great overall beer, light-bodied, very drinkable and very well balanced.

4.12/5  rDev -5.7%

Huge thanks to xpimptastikx for this one. As a lover of wheat beers, I've wanted to get around to this one for a long time. Poured from a 64oz. growler into a Harpoon Weizen glass.

A: Gentle pour yields a .5 finger foamy white head with little retention that dissipates into a thin film atop a cloudy, lemon yellow beer. Lacing is stringy and spotty with little stick. Average and the cloudiness is forgiven due to the style.

S: Nose is subtle but refreshing. Lemon zest, sweetness from the yeast, some banana, and creamy cane sugar. Not overly rich or impressive but very balanced.

T: Opens lemon zest, various sweet and very mildly tart spiciness. Some banana notes along with a smooth, creamy, yeasty malt backbone. Citrus towards the end with some more sweet spiciness. Finish is yeasty and slightly floral with a grainy and citrus tart aftertaste. Simple but incredibly quenching and refreshing.

M: Light bodied and moderately carbonated. Smooth and slightly watery, but very quenching and satisfying. Goes down with some bubbles. Finish is accented but with a clean, crisp, quick aftertaste. Perfect.

O: Live Oak Hefeweizen isn't overly impressive in terms of appearance or smell but its spot on taste and incredible mouthfeel make it the perfect session beer on a hot summer day. Incredibly drinkable, this might be the one time I thought a 64oz. growler wasn't enough.

4.12/5  rDev -5.7%

64 oz growler split and poured into a Sierra Nevada tulip. No date or info.

Thanks to Beerwolf77 for acquiring this top 100 to share with the crew!

A - Insanely hazy straw golden yellow with a low off-white head. Can't see a bit through it. Low head, and little lace is a bit disappointing for a hefe.

S - Strong banana and a German yeast aroma, its got a big nose starting off but remains crisp. Hints of bubblegum and coriander give it that classic and inviting appeal.

T - A little thin in with a soft banana and wheat flavor and hints of coriander with a touch of bubblegum. As I remembered for sampling this about a year ago, it tastes good, but not great.

M - Soft and very smooth, it's got a medium-light bodied and soft, clean finish. Great mouthfeel!

D - Fantastic drinkability from this one with a great mouthfeel, it goes down very well. This isn't an out-of-this-world hefe as there's local stuff I find to be better than this (coughraritycough) but it's good.

4.12/5  rDev -5.7%

A. Pours orange and yellow haze with a white foamy head.

S. Banana, clove, and wheat predominate with nice light citrusy flavors and some bubblegum flavors.

T. Banana, wheat, some slight spiciness, and some nice bubblegum. Some lemon is in there, too.

M. Fairly thin with nice level of carbonation.

D. Very drinkable, but I wish it was a bit more robust.

4.12/5  rDev -5.7%

Had this on tap at the meddlesome moth in Dallas. I came to TX to try this beer and it was actually quite difficult to find. First place I saw it on tap was the moth. Poured cloudy golden color and had dominating banana aromas. It tastes like it smells as well. A banana bomb. I can understand why this beer is rated so high. It's a more flavorful hefe than the traditonal german ones. Not a huge hefe fan, but this was up there as the best.

4.12/5  rDev -5.7%

On-tap at the Flying Saucer in Addison. Served with a lemon wedge which I discarded. Also, served in a standard American pint glass.

Cloudy golden yellow with a 1/2 inch white head and very sticky lace. Nose full of wheat, mild banana, and lemon zest, very appetizing. Yet, the banana flavors were subdued. Things started off with a carbonic yeast and quickly moved to a somewhat wet lemony flavor. It was a bit much, hints of Pledge. Toward the end, the flavors mellowed and blended with some spice added to the mix, still not enough to recover from the lemon kick. Mouthfeel varied from a thin middle to a fine medium-full finish. An easy to drink beer that you should never refuse. If you are in TX, be sure to seek it out.

Live Oak HefeWeizen from Live Oak Brewing Company