Live Oak HefeWeizen - Live Oak Brewing Company

Hefeweizen |  5.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-07-2003

Reviews: 369 | Hads: 1,200
4.15/5  rDev -5.3%

Growler thanks to JonathanL7890, who responded on a Friday and sent it on a Monday, crossing border and delivered to me for Friday supper. Cheers to my weekend highlight. Very tasty hefe, a style itself which is most pleasing. I haven't a vertical tasting with the Town Hall version, fond memories of blowing me away, rather this stands on its own. Tasty,though a tad dry. Very creamy mouthfeel. The head looked great. (418 characters)

4.25/5  rDev -3%

Growler courtesy of GregSVT. Thanks again, Greg!

A: Pours a dark lemon slash very pale copper with a very nice white head and a good amount of lacing as it goes down.

S: All of the requisite hefeweizen scents are there, although the bubblegum and clove take the front seat. Good balance between everything that's going on, and a bit more intense than the typical hefeweizen.

T: The bubblegum flavor is the most intense, with a bit of clove spice coming through. Not too much banana in this one.

M: Light-medium body with good carbonation.

D: Very, very nice indeed. A good beer to sit around with all day long. I wish I had regular access. (645 characters)

4.38/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Arrives at the bar with a cloudy straw color and a creamy head that persists and drapes the pint glass with sheets of lace

Smell: Banana, clove and yeast notes are prevalent

Taste: Starts with a slightly citric banana bread flavor that adds a wallop of clove and yeasty complexity; a hint of bubblegum arrives, after the swallow

Mouthfeel: Medium to full bodied with slightly prickly carbonation

Drinkability: Excellent example of the style - outperforms many of the Germans (490 characters)

4.43/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

famous for a reason, this is perhaps the best hefeweizen made on american soil, and if it isnt, i want to taste whats better. its so light and flavorful, truly an all day drinker, and quite authentic too. its super light in color, almost watery looking yellow, and with a smaller head than the german ones that froth all down the edges of the glass, but by no means flat. the nose is so much more than banana clove, although thats definitely going on here. the wheat malt is aromatic and flavorful for its real pale cloudy color, and the fruit of the yeast goes well beyond banana to pear and light green apple, even green grape. the spice aspect is lesser, more of a general allspice thing rather than clove, which works well for me, it keeps it light. carbonation is ample, and the finish is clean for how fruity the yeast is. i could drink ten or more of these and like each one just as much. maybe just a bit light in body for me, could use a touch more meat, but its hard to think about changing anything here. who says old world styles dont rank anymore? this is killer! (1,076 characters)

4.25/5  rDev -3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

DanzBorin was generous enough to send this bad boy up to me! Thanks man!!

Poured out as a beautiful hazy golden color with a fluffy white head on top. The retention is very good with a minimal lacing. The smell of the beer is very fresh very inviting with some soft banana aromas. The taste is soft also, excellent flavors of wheat and banana, the clove is hidden which is interesting. The mouthfeel is very smooth also, almost creamy. Overall this was a killer beer. Really easy and refreshing. Very glad I got to try it. (524 characters)

Growler (Thanks Josh): Poured a hazy lightly dirty beige color weizen with a nice foamy head with good retention and some lacing. Aroma of light bubblegum notes with some what notes and some light cloves makes this a very interesting drink. Taste is also a good mix between some bubblegum notes with some light cloves and light banana ester. Body is quite full with good carbonation. Well brewed though I usually prefer my weizen with more banana ester but glad to had a chance to try this beer. (495 characters)

3.93/5  rDev -10.3%

A big thanks to JonathanL7890 for the chance to try this brew. Amidst the growing extreme beer trend it's not often that a beer like this earns such consistently high marks, which made me very curious about it.

Appearance: Poured into a 1L stein, this beer appears an opaque and turbid yellow with an orange tint. An enormous frothy white head forms and never recedes, quite a feat in one of these massive steins.

Smell: Banana bread, yeast, bubblegum and clove. Mild in aroma but very pleasant.

Taste & mouthfeel: Bready and yeasty with a spicy kick. This stuff is like liquid banana bread. Phenols are actually pretty tame; this brew has all of the classic hefeweizen flavors but it's ultimately fairly clean (and ridiculously easy to drink). The bready flavor lingers on right through to the finish. Body is light-to-medium, and though it goes down easy it's certainly not lacking in flavor.

While I don't think this tops the better German hefes out there, it's a good American take on the style. (1,003 characters)

4.37/5  rDev -0.2%

Thanks to Monsone for importing and sharing the growler! Whip In ftw :)

Huge banana, bubblebum and lemon notes right off the bat. Very aromatic and fresh. Wheaty in the best way, with a minor spicy clove element in there too.

Hazy orange body, fluffy head with some retention. Attractive color, slightly less foam due to the growler, but it still looks nice.

Flavor is also very wheaty, simple with very estery banana and bubblegum notes again. Slightly sweet with a tangy edge. Sweetness fades quickly into a dry aftertaste. Lingering notes of banana, bubblegum again, and clean wheat flavors. Creamy feel with an ethereal lightness. Simple and classic. Fresher than most any import, and well crafted. Perfect for warmer weather. Nicely done. (749 characters)

4.9/5  rDev +11.9%

Ok, so I have been waiting to try this one forever. Much thanks goes out to JDV for hooking me up with a trade on this. Been waiting for a certain BA to get off his butt and meet me to split this one, and finally got around to it last night. In the great company of goindownsouth, his wife, and our favorite bartender Meg, we all split this growler with dinner. This was a really fun night.

Appearance - So this one poured out absolutely wonderfully, words cannot express how god this actually was, but I will do my best to give it a shot here. The pour was very lively, dumping a very rich, sediment filled bright liquid into the glass. The color was a little heavier then your typical golden yellow, some light peach tones in it, mostly due to the haze. This was such a hazy and cloudy beer, it was literally insane how much sediment there was floating around in here, it was nearly opaque from it, but enough light got through to really show off the colors very well. A beautiful three finger high head of lace formed on top. A very nice pillow of white, that hung around for what seemed like forever before settling down to just a thin film across the top which lasted for the rest of the session Deep white foamy lace was dripping all over the sides of the glass here, really thickening up as you went through. Some carbonation visible streaming up from the bottom to reinforce this as well. Now as far as Hefe's go, I have never seen one like this, I could not have imagined this looking any better, really just superb. The end of the growler was thick and chunky from so much settling down( your welcome Dan).

Smell - The aroma on this was insane. Again I have to say this was like a whole new style for me, as it opened my eyes as to what these should taste like, not the bland, light and utterly dull American version of a Hefe I am used to, this was nuts. Huge aromas coming off of this one, from the moment we unscrewed the cap. A deep rich banana flavor overtook me right away, and dominated the senses, mixed in with this were hints of vanilla, and peach, which I was clearly able to pick up right away. Some very nice notes of cloves and even a touch of vanilla were all readily picked up, and though for me it was the fresh banana that stole the show. As it warmed a little, I was starting to get those nice light notes of fresh wheat and grain mixing in now. Overall fantastic, I cannot imagine this smelling and better or any more inviting, dare I say perfect.

Taste - The flavor continued on right where the aroma left off, with one important change though, it was actually better! It is really hard to even put into words how good this was, and I am glad I am not alone in this judgment, as I am sure all who were there will attest to. This was just fantastic. Huge notes of banana and cloves come ripping right out of the gate. There was nothing harsh about this as every flavor was so intricately separate and distinct, yet at the same time, it was all effortlessly blended together. I was detecting lots of peach like notes, light fruit of various types, even hints of apricot now mingling in with the banana, which really just did not quit. There were wild grain notes weaving in and out of the profile now, giving it even more depth then it already had. Some very nice hints of vanilla now rounding it out towards the finish. The finish was nice and clean, with a touch of crispness to it. Flavor did not linger long, what did linger was a nice light fruity note, which was just outstanding and really sealed the deal for this one, at least for me. Again, I could not picture this tasting and better or any more complex then it did. I tried to describe the flavor as best I could, but to be honest, it was beyond description.

Mouthfeel - The feel on this was so light and airy. Very good profile here with not even the slightest bit of watering down or thinness to it at all. The carbonation level was top notch, in fact, it almost felt as if it was getting better as the session wore on, simply amazing. Great smooth and extremely clean feeling, this was just great. Nice finish as well, very well done.

Drinkability - Cannot imagine this getting any better here at all. I mean c'mon what was there here not too like. The flavors were intense, yet inviting, the carbonation was never dull, low ABV, well pretty much none, and a wonderful sense of smoothness. To say I could drink this forever would be about right. I could not imagine this one getting dull in anyway. Really very good.

Overall I think I have said how good this was enough here, but one more time, this was simply stated one of the best beers I have ever had, hands down. I love the bigger, intense beers we all crave, but sometimes you need something like this to bring you back to your roots, to show what can be done in the normal range, and how complex a style that can at times seem so simple and overdone, can really become. I was literally blown away by this. (4,963 characters)

4.07/5  rDev -7.1%

Thanks to Michael for sending a growler of this my way.

A: The pour is somewhat light for a hefeweizen, tending toward a pale straw color with plenty of cloudiness and a white head.

S: A bit of the traditional banana and clove esters, but not all that intense. The wheat comes through nicely, as does a hint of citrus.

T: The yeasty esters are not as dominant as I normally like in my hefeweizens. The banana and clove are certainly there, but not they don't steal the show. Orange peel and wheat round things out, with maybe just a bit of lemon.

M: Somewhat light in body with a moderate level of carbonation.

D: I can see why this beer is so popular, especially for people down in Texas. Quite easy to drink, light, and refreshing. (738 characters)

4.3/5  rDev -1.8%

Reviewed from notes. Growler shared.

A: Pours a hazy pale yellow under a half-inch thick white head which fades to the rim slowly and leaves spotty lace.

N: Pungent banana esters, wheat grains, yeast, clove, fruity, mild earth.

T: Follows nose with mild citrus overtones.

M: Light body and medium carbonation. Creamy, fruity and wheaty finish.

O: Solid and well balanced. Would definitely have again. (405 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +8.4%

Served in an Ayinger weizen glass.

Mega thanks to jefferz5000 for this tasty treat!

I've heard some pretty gnarly things about this brew, particularly about it being the best hefe on the planet. The time has finally come for me to test these hyperbolic statements. It pours a rather cloudy straw, reminiscent of a carrot-orange-banana juice blend I sampled about a decade ago in Vienna (that's Austria, not Virginia). Nearly two fingers of white suds top it off, subsiding into a fine layer after a short respite. Honestly, this is what it looks like when books show representatations of hefeweizens. Archetypal all the way. So far, the hype has been lived up to. We'll see how the rest goes. The nose comprises banana, red apple, Granny Smith apple (they're both in there...trust me), caramel, cinnamon, nutmeg, orange peel, and a slight breadiness. My brain is awash with visions ranging from the sugary apple slices from my old local Bell's Orchard (it is missed) to a haystack standing in a citrus grove. I haven't wanted to drink a beer based on its smell this badly in some time. The taste holds notes of banana, orange zest, cloves, nutmeg, wheat, a light pepper, and pumpkin seeds. I'll say it: Damn, what a tasty hefe! It misses out on perfection by the slimmest of margins...I don't know what it would take to push it over, but I do know a tiny something is indeed missing. Nonetheless, this beer exhibits how every hefeweizen wishes it could taste. The body is a light medium, with low carbonation and a slight grainy feel. People: believe the hype. Best hefe on the planet? I just might have to accede to that, baby! Get some!! (1,641 characters)

Poured from a growler into a standard pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a very cloudy bright yellow color with two fingers of white head. The head fades to a layer on top of the pour.

Smell: Quite delicate. Crisp with some banana and clove. Lots of wheat with some slightly tart citrus.

Taste: A lot like the smell. Banana and some clove. There aren't really any bubble gum notes here. There is still a lemony note from the wheat, but I'm enjoying it.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with aggressively tingly carbonation and a slightly dry finish.

Overall: This is a really good beer. Super easy to drink, it would be a superb summer beer. (631 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +2.7%

64 oz growler into several glasses. Thanks go to ffejherb for providing this.

Pours a hazy golden orange, with several billowy fingers of foamy bright-white head. Great looking frothy retention to this, which leaves a good amount of robust lacing behind. The aroma is sharp in the nose with crisp bready wheat character, with some bright citric tones of lemon and orange giving this a deep fruity edge. The yeast is just off the charts here for a Hefe, with bubblegum, a bit of ripened banana, and clove being very pronounced. All of the flavors involved meld to form a delicious smelling sharp tang in the nose.

The taste is once again very robust with banana and bubblegum flavors, while sweet bready wheat and lemon zest rolls across the tongue. Clove is a bit more subdued than it was in the aroma, adding some light zest that works well with the tartness of the citrus. The mouthfeel is light-medium bodied, with one of thee smoothest, creamiest, quenching, and all around easy drinking feels on a beer that I've ever had. This is one of those beers that I could put down a growler of in record time and not give one damn about sharing any of it. Just so freaking delicious and easy drinking, it should be a crime.

This is the second time I've reviewed this and I don't think that either of them really get across just how full flavored and easy this beer is. One day I'll get to try this on tap and then die a happy man. (1,432 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +10%

Acquired via trade from jtortorice, so a big "Thank You" goes out to him. Poured from a 64oz growler into a weizen glass.

A: The beer is a cloudy gold color, with a short white head that fades quickly and leaves a thin lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is of wheat, bananas, spices, citrus, light caramelized malts and a touch of hops.

T: The taste starts out bready with strong flavors of wheat and yeast. Then some sweet flavors of bananas, spices and citrus come in. The malt character is hearty but not too heavy and there's a mild but complementary hops presence that help provide a very good balance. The after-taste is slightly bready and slightly sweet.

M: Crisp and very smooth, medium body, medium carbonation, finish is clean.

D: Very tasty, goes down quite easily, not too filling, mild kick, very good representation of style, this is an excellent sessionable beer with all of the flavor and substance that make it worth drinking for an entire evening. (968 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to dcloeren for this interesting beer. I'm not usually a big Hefe fan these days, but if I find a really good one I can really enjoy it.

Nice creamy head fades at med pace light lacing very hazy carrot orange color.

Nose typical well done hefe, banana, citrus, tangerine, blood orange, clove, coriander, light creaminess and effervescent.

Taste very nice, again typical but well done. Spices coriander, clove, light esters, banana, tangerine, light clementine and citrus, juicy, very light bitterness. Finish is dry, clean effervescent, tasty.

Mouth is med to lighter bodied, juicy, decent carb.

Overall awesome. A perfect rendition of a Hefe. All the correct flavors and aromas in good portion, effervescent, tasty, juicy, fresh, etc. This reminds me of drinking the fresh Weihenstephan Hefe at the brewery in Freising, and exactly what I meant by really enjoying a well done Hefe in the summer, despite not one of my fav styles. (942 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +10.7%

I'm not sure if giving a thank you to Ballewblake for this is good enough for getting to try this beer. But hey. I did let the dude sleep on my couch when he visited NYC.

Pours a fully clouded orange with a white-ish head. Nose is a nice balance of banana and cloves. I'm not going to sit here and talk about the finer points and complexities of the flavor. It's smooth. It's damn smooth. It's smooth beyond description really. Sure there is the citric tones. The banana. The spices. The blah blee blah. To me this is just one that I don't really want to overly ponder. I just want to drink it. Until about 2027. Feel is extremely smooth on liquid and carbonation. This is one of the best beers I've ever had as far as drinkability. If I had everyday access to this, I would drink it non-stop. So well balanced.

This is a prime example of the skill that American brewers have progressed to. Do what you must to try this beer, but make sure you get it. It's pretty amazing stuff. (980 characters)

4.38/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Big, big thanks to hopsleeroy for sending me a growler of this brew (along with a Texas-sized box of extras). The growler was pitcher-filled (due to Texas law) on January 12th, but it was filled to the brim and taped so much that it took me a good 5 minutes to even get it open. Drank it out of my weizen glass.

A - Pours a milky golden yellow color - the hue lightens towards the bottom of the glass which is kind of unusual. Huge, huge creamy white foam that dissipates very slowly and leaves a nice amount of lacing. Lots of visible carbonation in this one. I'm not really sure what more I can expect here...

S - Really serious breadiness - like fresh cornbread. Some cloves, but not as much banana as you'd expect. This smells heavier and more serious than other hefeweizens I've had. There's a little bit of bubblegum and yeast character too. Yummy, but doesn't leap out of the glass.

T - This is like drinking liquid cornbread - sweet malt character mixed with spices, yeasts, and a touch of citrus. It starts out sweet but has a little bit of bite at the top of the palate. Leaves a sweet bready aftertaste.

M - Smooth, creamy, with some carbonation tingle that complements the spice in the flavor. It's light and refreshing like a hefe should be.

D - The only thing stopping this from being a perfect score is availability. I thought I'd be bringing the rest of this growler to a party tomorrow, but there is no way it's going to last that long! Tastes like low ABV, and crazily sessionable.

This stands up to the best German hefeweizens and probably exceeds them. (1,578 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +4.3%

Poured from a growler into a tulip. Big thanks to SSW117 for this one; thanks Sam!

a - Pours a murky orange golden color with one inch of white head and light carbonation evident.

s - Smells of bananas, spices, cloves, and wheat.

t - Tastes of spices, bananas, cloves, wheat, and grain.

m - Light body and light carbonation. Very easy to drink; I feel like I could drink this whole growler by myself.

d - While this isn't my favorite style, this is a very good beer. It smelt and tasted very good and the mouthfeel was great. Very drinkable and something I would love to have again sometime. If I could get this on tap normally I would probably start every session with a glass. (683 characters)

4.95/5  rDev +13%

A long time target short list want provided with great speed by a wonderful stand-up BA that I will just randomly send beer to from now on.

Poured from a growler into a wheat beer glass. I was nervous about the growler but when I cranked the top I heard the tell tale "HISS" of carbon escaping and a weight was lifted off my shoulders. Beer is dark yellow and completely opaque, huge haze to it. It forms an aggressive and full head of small to medium bubbles that leaves a lot of lacing on the glass. Carbonation is steady and moderate. This beer looks beautiful.

The aroma is in your face with this beer. Its not quite like a wheat wine but it pushes that boundary for sure. Strong banana and cloves. Completely fills my face with this aroma. I could smell it from a couple of feet away. It is SO good.

Wonderful flavor as well. First, this is the most drinkable beer I've ever had. Greater than 5 IMO. Medium body, slightly more body than I was expecting, but its still wonderful. Some good sweetness up front and a lot of good flavor in the back with a nice wheaty feeling to it. Great ester characters throughout the palate and beer. Gets better the more you drink. Just spectacular. The carbonation give the beer a slight sourness that helps connectivitiy. This is seriously one of the best BEERS I have ever had.

This is seriously one of my favorite beers. I should look into getting a keg of this because I would make it my daily drinker. Its a cruel set of circumstances that I am in DC and this beer is in Austin. I have an outstanding ISO Live Oak Hefeweizen out from now on. (1,590 characters)

4.22/5  rDev -3.7%

Got this from a friend who lives in Austin, thanks man! 22 ounce Fischer swing top bottle into weizen glass, growler fill date of 2/12/2012. Pours super hazy golden amber color with a small 1 finger dense white head with good retention that reduces to a thin cap that lingers. Spotty lacing on the glass, and a fair amount of carbonation streaming up from the bottom. Aromas of huge lemon, orange, clove, banana, bready wheat, light pepper, and yeast spices. Nice and well balanced aromas with good strength. Taste of big lemon, orange, banana, grainy tart wheat, clove, light pepper, and yeast spices. Lingering notes of citrus, banana, light clove, wheat, and light spiciness on the finish for a bit. Great balance of flavors with good complexity. Good amount of sweetness with no cloying flavors. Medium carbonation and body; with a very nice creamy and slightly slick mouthfeel. No alcohol presence at all as expected for the style. Very smooth to drink. Overall this is an excellent Hefeweizen with a lot of flavor and nice complexity. I probably got it at lower carbonation than normal due to the packaging option in the trade; but I really enjoyed this offering and would have it again. (1,193 characters)

4.33/5  rDev -1.1%

Served on tap at Opal Divine's Marina in Austin, TX

A: Pours a cloudy pale straw yellow in color with some light amounts of small white yeast particles and moderate to heavy amounts of visible carbonation. The beer has a two finger tall dense foamy bright white head that had great retention properties and slowly reduced to a small half finger tall cap in the center of the beer. Moderate amounts of lacing are observed.

S: Moderate aromas of wheat with banana, clove, and some lighter amounts of lemon citrus.

T: Moderate flavors of wheat with some lighter amounts of banana, clove, orange peel, and lemon citrus.

M: Light bodied with moderate amounts of carbonation.

O: Extremely easy to drink and refreshing, quite a thirst quencher. I really enjoyed this beer and it could definitely be a session beer for me as I would have no problem putting down several of these. Also, a great hot weather beer. (908 characters)

4.22/5  rDev -3.7%

Thanks to kbutler1 for sharing this one!

Poured into mini weizen glass.

Pours 1/2 finger of white head. Fades down no lace left (probably because it was a growler). Color is a very hazed straw hued peach yellow.

Aroma: Cloves, bananas, yeast flavors, light wheat. Smells like a very nice hefe.

Taste: A lot more wheat here than the aroma. Orange peel and bananas up front. Cloves as well. Pretty solid.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, creamy, and slightly crisp. Light to medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. Ends with some wheat flavors, a bit dry.

Overall, a very drinkable beer. Represents the style very well. Multiple pours of this will be no problem. Very happy to try this one. Reminds me a bit like Schells. (722 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +12.3%

Had on tap during a trip to Austin.

Poured a cloudy golden yellow with a nice, white head. The beer smelled of bubblegum, citrus and banana. The taste was very similar with some wheat added in. I have had this beer several times and it is one of the most drinkable beers I have ever had. I have no problem drinking several of them in a row and enjoy every drop. (363 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +2.1%

Huge thanks to Lee for sending this my way!

A: Pours a hazy straw yellow color with a one finger white head on top, nice retention with minimal lacing.

S: Lots of wheat, banana, and cloves in the aroma. Lots of spice on the back end, Belgian spices, a little bit of bubble gum.

T: Lots more banana mixed with bread and wheat. Plenty of yeast which comes through as some cloves, nutmeg, and faint pepper. A bit of bubblegum comes through at the end.

M: Light to medium bodied with medium carbonation. Extremely smooth and easy drinking.

O: One of the best hefeweizens I have had. Great flavor profile and easy drinking. If only it was easier to get outside of Texas! (672 characters)

Live Oak HefeWeizen from Live Oak Brewing Company