Live Oak HefeWeizen - Live Oak Brewing Company

Live Oak Brewing Company visit their website
Texas, United States

Hefeweizen |  5.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-07-2003

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Live Oak HefeWeizen Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,173 | Reviews: 376
4.42/5  rDev +1.1%

Best Hefe in Texas!

A: Cloudy dry wheat appearance with a creamy two-finger head that leaves deliciously sticky lace behind as a memory of beer that I have already enjoyed.

S: Banana bread, cloves, and yeast. A lasting tropical tartness rounds out the aroma to bring a smell that is most pleasing.

T: A chorus of sweet banana, clove spice, yeasty goodness, and bitter hop finish create a flavor profile that is flat out amazing. This is an amazing beer.

M: Medium body. Appropriate pop to the carbonation for style.

D: Best damn hefe you will find. End of discussion.

4.75/5  rDev +8.7%

Growler acquired in a trade with stopbarking; been looking forward to this for a while. Split with Rhinos00, my portion being served in an Erdinger Hefeweizen glass.

A- Pours a very hazy golden straw with a huge, billowy, white head that recedes to a dense 1/4" to 1/2" foamy white layer. When held up to any light, this beer glows like a lamp. Due to the haze, not much visible carbonation or beading. Splotches of lacing all over the inside of the glass. So true to style, this would be perfect if it had better head retention.

S- Clove, spice, and bubble gum dominate. Wheat and lemon in the background. Prototypical hefeweizen flavors, but more intense in all aspects with more complexity.

T- Again, clove, spice, bubblegum, wheat, and lemon. Some yeasty breadiness with an incredible citrus tang in the finish that really elevates this beer to the upper tier. Everything I love in a hefeweizen, times ten. The volume is turned up full blast on this one.

M- Medium bodied with a snappy finish. Surprisingly tiny bubbles with carbonation that leans toward the lower end of the spectrum. This is least impressive aspect of this beer, but still deserves a good grade.

D- 10 out of 10. Multiple growler session would not be out of the question if I thought my bladder could stand up to the challenge. One of the most sessionable beers I've had the pleasure of trying and the best hefeweizen I have ever had. I would love to have this straight from the source.

4.51/5  rDev +3.2%

served on tap in a pint glass.

A - a great looking golden color with an off-white head

S - some citrus notes, but not overly strong.

T - a bit of a lemon flavor with some spices.

M - not too heavy on the tongue with a light carbonation.

D - this beer is incredibly easy to drink.

4.65/5  rDev +6.4%

got a pint on draft at the local gingerman.

A: this beer is a murky yellow white. nice one finger head that lingers for a couple of minutes.

S: Always an amazing smell. smells like someone already put a lemon in there. can smell grains

T: definitely got a citrus, lemony kinda thing going on here. This is an especially good hefewiezen, in my opinion. grains, perfect amount of hops to bring balance

M: perfect mouthfeel. medium to full body. fully carbonated.

D: could drink these all night until i pass out.

This beer rocks.

4.5/5  rDev +3%

Thanks to LukeM23 for a grolwer of this beer. I have been wanting to try this one since I have been on BA.

Pours a murky dark golden yellow. Bananas, orange peel, pineapple in the smell. Taste mirrors the smells. One of the most banana flavored hefes I have ever consumed. Nice carbonation.

The best American Hefe I have ever consumed.

4.72/5  rDev +8%

Had this on tap at the Ginger Man in Austin. Pours a hazy, cloudy yellow with a big fluffy white head. Head dissipates slowly leaving lots of lacing. Usually I tend to avoid American hefes because they can't compete with the Germans - typically there's way too much banana in the smell and taste. Not here however, as they've found the perfect balance for that banana clove aroma combination with a slight yeastyness in the back of the nose. The taste is equally exceptional, holding up to some of the best of the German examples. Nice light touch with the banana and clove again, clean malt backbone and a balanced touch of hop bitterness. Mouthfeel is light to moderate, leading to good drinkability. Very refreshing on a hot Texas day.

4.77/5  rDev +9.2%

A- Pale hazy yellow with a nice white head that seems to fade before the beer reaches the half way point of my pint glass. No real lacing to speak of.

S- Lots of ripe banana smells and full of cloves and yeast and everything nice that goes into an outstanding smelling heffe.

M- Nothing offensive with some nice carbonation and a very smooth delivery.

D- For a style that I'm not always crazy about I absolutely loved this beer and had no problem draining the whole growler into my glass.

4.31/5  rDev -1.4%

Big thanks to icetraxx for splitting this one with me and thanks to stopbarking for shipping this sucker up to Michigan!

Appearance: Poured out of the growler with a big, fluffy three finger head. This stuff was so hazy you couldn't even see through it. The color was a yellowish-orange with some almost tan like hues. The head left some fat globs of lacing towards the top of the glass, but faded to a cap over the duration.

Smell: The dominant smell here is straight up wheat malt. It's backed by the usual Hefeweizen suspects. Bubblegum, clove and a hint of banana. Oddly enough I swear there is a tinge of coriander in here, but it could just be the strong, spicy wheat malt messing with me. There was also a slight kick of sour in the background that was akin to a Berliner Weiss. This is a beer you want to keep smelling, the only negative is that it isn't all that strong.

Taste: This is pretty straight forward stuff, it's not overly complex, but in this case that doesn't bother me in the least. Again the wheat malt presence is strong, stronger than I'm used to from a Hefeweizen. It's reminiscent of an American Pale Wheat. The beer as a whole almost seems like a fusion of the two styles. On most occasions I'd probably knock a beer down for that, but it works here. All the fruity esters are present from the smell. The bubblegum is quite strong with the clove and banana being fairly subdued. This is easily the best American take on the style I've had.

Mouthfeel: The body was a solid medium, perhaps even verging on full. The carbonation was perfect and it was exceptionally creamy.

Drinkability: I had two full half liter Weihenstephaner glasses of this stuff and I could have gone for two more. This beer straddles a line for me. I could either sip on one for an hour enjoying it or knock back a couple without thinking much of it. It's simple, but highly enjoyable at the same time.

Overall it's a very good beer and as I've already mentioned by far the best American made Hefeweizen. If it was bottled and distributed in Michigan it would be a regular in my fridge. I still think the Germans do a better job with the stylel as a whole though.

4.45/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Bright golden color with straw yellow hints - whip cream thick head fades slowly coating beyond lacing as it drops
Cloves, Bananas a little bit of corriander and some nice malt compliments waft out of my glass. Also some hints of pepper.
The taste is more mellow than the strong nose. Citrus leads on the front and fade leaving a fine blend of malt and spice. Not too much banana on the pallete. Huge clove close. Big solid mouthfeel. Good for the style, on the heavy end of the scale. Damn fine beer, got a fresh growler, many thanks to JDV, great freshness to the beer overall, If I could get this I would get every week in the summer and sit out on the patio and enjoy.

4.61/5  rDev +5.5%

Appearance is hazy straw yellow with good head surviving the clumsy growler fill from Whole Foods. Thin head seems here to stay.

Pleasant aroma, phenolic with some banana and a bit of sulphur.

Taste is a superb hefe, light banana and strong clove. Amazing flavor, wow.

Mouthfeel is warm and thick with a gentle tingle. Warmth is stands out.

Overall - This beer is a real experience, one that I don't expect in this style. Perhaps the hefe for big beer lovers.

4.68/5  rDev +7.1%

Received a hand bottled umm bottle in a trade after the growler broke in transit. Curse you UPS!

Pours a striking glowing gold, almost fluorescent. Very cool looking. Minimal head that quickly disappeared.

Lots of pear and citrus aromas, some banana. No clove.

Beer is very effervescent, well carbonated. Slightly tart. Loads of banana, only a very faint clove taste. Light bready taste. Green Apples, lemons, citrus all over. Some vanilla notes. Moderate body, surprising with all the carbonation. Bit of an odd aftertaste, not a clean finish.

Heard a lot of hype about this, especially from my friends in Texas. I must say, it lived up to the hype. A fantastic American Hefe, balanced, fruity, and unique. I would dare to say this is the best American style Hefeweizen in the US.
Live Oak would have a surefire hit if they released this in bottles, especially with distribution.

4.93/5  rDev +12.8%

Got in a growler thanks to Tofuspeedstar. Been wanting to try this for a while.

A-completely unfiltered. Opaque. Amber with a 2 finger fluffy white head. I've had other unfiltered hefe's but this one looked best from all I've tried. Lots of carbonation which was expected.

S-bananas, cloves, some pepper, citrus notes. Some wheat bread notes. Yeast tartness.

T-just like the smell. But better. More citrus than the smell, tad bit less banana. Nice clove and wheat flavor. Tart yeast balances it all out. Completely refreshing. Perfect beer

M-this is the only time I wish it was 90 degrees outside. The mouthfeel is perfect. So light and refreshing. Perfect carbonation. This in the middle of summer would be perfect.

O-my wallet is thankful this isn't available to me. I'd buy it year round. I drank a 32 oz growler way too quick. Sessionable as hell and just perfect. This may be the best beer to come out of Texas.

This poured cloudy and deep yellow to light golden in color with a moderate white head. The nose was filled with classic aromas of banana and clove, spice and some yeast. In the mouth it was medium-bodied with good weight but also very drinkable. This was really well-balanced and quite drinkable...great start to the long 4th of July weekend!

4.42/5  rDev +1.1%

Thanks to thickerfreakness for giving me the chance to try this.

The hand bottle seems to have held up well in it's travel and a half inch pure white head sits on a slightly cloudy dark straw yellow beer. the head doesn't last long, and leaves only a little lacing.
Lots of spices in the nose, with cloves being the most noticeable. Some slight breadcrust yeast and a good amount of banana with just a hint of orange rind.
The taste is bold with a huge interplay of banana and clove and some other spices below. There is also a touch of bitterness that I didn't expect but plays nicely.
Wow. The body is surprisingly full and silky. Carbonation is lively with very small bubbles that tickle the tongue.
Great beer. I'm impressed to have a quality hefe out of Texas! I can only imagine how this must be fresh out of the tap.

3.98/5  rDev -8.9%

Received this beer in an LIF from Hopsleeroy... Thanks again for the great opportunity!!
A-Pours a very nice looking pale golden yellow color with light orange highlights, mildly cloudy and a light white head that disappeared fairly quickly. This was bottled from a keg so I imagine the carbonation and possibly the suspended yeast would be slightly more substantial....
S-Not a whole lot here even though I let it warm up. Some mild yeastiness, grass, lemon, banana and clove.
T-Pretty good taste though fairly mild. More of the same as the smell with some sweet banana and lemony tartness at the forefront with tastes of clove, yeast, grain, and fresh cut grass hiding in the background.
M-Thinner than I expected and I think the carbonation took a hit with the hand bottling, but overall pleasant. Goes down very easy...
D-The taste is good and I'm not sure what the ABV is on this, but I could see sitting having one or four of these at a sitting out on a nice deck in the hot sun.
Overall a solid but not spectacular hefe. But all in all a very nice beer from the folks at Live Oak.
Digs
PS-I'd love to have this fresh on tap some day as I think it would rate slightly higher...

4.88/5  rDev +11.7%

After dreaming of tasting the only hefeweizen rated higher than my all-time favorite beer (Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier), I accepted the extraordinarily generous goatgoat's offer to ship me a growler of Live Oak Hefeweizen in return for some local beers. It was worth the wait, and I now owe goatgoat something equally majestic in return.

Appearance: Pours a hazy orange-ish gold in body, with a beautiful three-finger head of off-white foam. Lacing is substantial throughout drinking. This stuff looks exactly the way a hefeweizen should -- there's no watery soapiness, as is found in many American wheat beers.

Smell: Sweet, sweet banana, yeasty bread, and cloves, with a honey-ish undercurrent and a hint of wheaty twang. The aroma of this beer is quite complex (and spot-on for the style), but it's rather subdued and understated. Still, a whiff of this entices the senses and demands that I take a big sip immediately.

Taste: Unbelievably good. Cloves and wholesome banana bread, in beautiful harmony with yeast. I also pick up a substantial vanilla component to the flavor -- something I've never experienced in a hefeweizen, but it fits very well with the rest of the flavor components. There is no evidence of the metallic element present in many hefeweizens, and only the mildest hint of funky wheaty sourness can be found. Alcohol and hops are undetectable, as they should be in a traditional German-style hefeweizen. I still think Weihenstephaner brews the classic example of the style, but this one has a flavor all its own and is still almost perfect. In fact -- and this is near-blasphemy for me -- I think Live Oak's hefeweizen has more character than Weihenstephaner's, and I suspect that its flavor may vary somewhat from batch to batch (whereas Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier tastes the same year after year). At any rate...this Live Oak is awesome, awesome, awesome.

Mouthfeel: While refreshingly brisk in carbonation, Live Oak hefeweizen somehow retains a full, creamy mouthfeel the likes of which I've rarely -- maybe never -- experienced in a wheat beer. This mouthfeel only enhances the wholesome banana- and bread-like characteristics of the beer's smell and flavor, adding up to a mind-bogglingly great drinking experience. Each sip fills the mouth and glides down the throat like meringue.

Drinkability: I would LOVE to drink this on a Texan summer day. Incredibly thirst-quenching and refreshing, yet substantial and satisfying, this may be the ultimate hot-weather beer. (As it happens, I'm drinking it in early March in Atlanta, where it's currently 38 degrees outside...my next quest may be for Live Oak's possibly retired weizenbock.) I assume that the ABV is quite low -- about 5% would be average for the style -- and this only enhances the beer's drinkability. I may attempt to put away this whole growler over the next several hours, and I think I can do so without adverse consequences. This is a testament to the beer's overwhelmingly appealing flavor and drinkability, both of which are enhanced by the low ABV.

In pondering this beer's quality (and its high rating on this site), something occurred to me: every hefeweizen I've ever had on tap has benefitted greatly from that serving type. Maybe it's because the yeast is constantly stirred up when the beer's served that way, and maybe there are other factors, but it's apparent to me that every hefeweizen tastes noticeably better on tap than poured from the bottle.

With that in mind, I can't help but wonder if Live Oak hefeweizen would still be this good if they bottled it and shipped it out...I guess we may never know. But it bears mentioning that perhaps the reason for Live Oak hefeweizen's legendary quality lies in the fact that it is ONLY available on tap, and it therefore reaps the benefits of that serving style. I'd like to try this side-by-side with freshly-tapped Weihenstephaner, and then I'd like to try a bottle of this (if such a thing existed) side-by-side with a bottle of Weihenstephaner. I don't know which beer would win.

Regardless, in its present form, this is America's greatest hefeweizen. An extraordinary brew, it truly lives up to the hype. Worth trading for -- and probably worth a trip to Texas.

“Don’t look for Live Oak at 7-11 anytime soon” remarked brewer Chip McElroy when asked if his draught only offerings were going to be bottled.

Focus is a good thing.

Live Oak’s Hefeweizen is a state treasure and the ne plus ultra of Hefeweizens.
Appearance, Smell, Taste, Mouthfeel, Drinkability all score the highest marks one can rate a beer.

This is Live Oak’s flagship beer and their dedication to quality keeps paying off, as you can taste the spice and fruit flavors while enjoying the aroma like the best meal you’ve ever had.

Larry McMurtry was quoted as having said that “Only a rank degenerate would drive 1,500 miles across Texas without eating a chicken fried steak.”

I would say that only a rank degenerate would come to Texas and not have a Live Oak Hefeweizen.

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

On draught at Flying Saucer Sugarland, Tx

A – Very hazy straw color with light head that dissipated quickly.
S – Banana and bready nose.
T – Great big banana flavor on the front with a bready middle tongue with nice mild clove aftertaste.
M - Medium Body, Slight to Moderately Carbonation, my friends commented that it was fluffy, and it had a nice crisp finish.
O – Have to admit that I’m not a huge fan of hefe’s, but this one has me re-thinking the style and I appreciate and love this one for sure. I would highly recommend and I will be looking to enjoy this more often.
Serving type: Texas Pint

i finally tried this one, on tap.all in all its a good hefe but not quite as great as i was expecting considering its hype. its a bit more subdued that the top hefes with no one flavor really standing out; i guess one could argue that its just blended really well. not much of a smell either. its certainly a good drinkable hefe but not in the class of the weihenstephaner or ayinger hefe imo.

4.62/5  rDev +5.7%

Thanks to JDV for trading me this growler!

Poured into a conic pint glass, pours a golden peach color, hazy with some particles in suspension. Fluffy yet sticky eggshell white head that leaves moderate lacing on the glass. The nose is sweet with bananas, bubble gum, honey, and lots of wheat and yeast giving a bready character. There is a nice bouquet of herbal scents with cloves and nutmeg, a hint of ginger as well.

The taste is lots of banana with some cloves, wheat, yeast, and vanilla. Finishes with a nice hop tang.

Mouthfeel is good, moderate carbonation but a little syrupy as well. Very nice and refreshing. Overall a very drinkable beer. Makes me wish that I could drink it all summer. Definitely the best American HefeWeizen I've had yet.

4.62/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured with a golden color, nice fluffy head, and had opaque body. Smells of banana, some citrus fruits, and a small hint of vanilla. The taste was a nice change from most hefeweizens I've tasted, the different fruits used in a unique blend. I especially enjoyed the small hint of vanilla. Very drinkable beer, easily sessionable and overall a joy to drink.

2.8/5  rDev -35.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2.5

I can see why people love this beer but to myself the clove and banana is just a strange taste.

4.17/5  rDev -4.6%

Not as cloudy as most Hefeweizens and very little head. Taste is very unique. It has a hint of bananas and bubble gum, very weird but good. As a friend said to me while drinking this, "...it's Austin in a pint glass..."

An interesting drink to have on a Friday night with some friends. I would definitely drink it again. However it's a seasonal beer so it's tough to find.

4.85/5  rDev +11%

Poured from 64 oz growler into Saint Arnold pint glass.

A- Pours a hazy straw color with 2 inches of creamy white head. Tons of lacing.

S- Wheat, a little banana and clove but they are well balanced and not overpowering.

T- Light banana and clove flavor that follows the smell. This is the best American-made hefeweizen I've had by far. Every flavor that should be there is there.

M- Nice creamy mouthfeel that really fits the style.

O- Flat out one of the best hefeweizens I've ever had. I would think this brewery was located in Munich before I'd assume it was located in Austin. Well done Live Oak!

3.05/5  rDev -30.2%

A - cloudy, nice thick head, very inviting. golden colored.

S - had an assault of smells going on here, which is something I like, but it was hard to really hammer down the many smells, i picked out a mix of spices, some coriander, a little fruitiness.

T - very flavorful, which i appreciate, however, i felt it was off. perhaps it was the hype that let me down here. strong spices, a some light fruitiness.

M - light and crisp, but unpleasant after taste.

D - not great drink ability.

This beer did not do it for me, others who were with me who tasted it, had mixed feelings as well.

Live Oak HefeWeizen from Live Oak Brewing Company