Live Oak HefeWeizen - Live Oak Brewing Company

Live Oak Brewing Company visit their website
Texas, United States

Hefeweizen |  5.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-07-2003

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Live Oak HefeWeizen Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,175 | Reviews: 376
3.48/5  rDev -20.4%

Thanks to turfy for hooking this one up in a trade.

A - Pours very hazy golden straw yellow with virtually no head. Maybe a half fingers worth of a white head which receded very quickly leaving some slight lacing behind.

S - The smell is supper mild, with coriander, cloves and a hint of banana. Some wheat is also present. Pleasant smell, just not very strong so there's not too much to report.

T - Initially the taste was rather subdued as was the aroma, however my second helping to this beer was very different. I'm tasting coriander, ripe banana and some pepperiness which i cant put my finger on. This is reminiscent of Ale industries Orange Shush.

M - Since it was in a growler for several days before it got to me, this beer was not the most carbonated, but it wasn't too bad. The mouth-feel was fairly thick and creamy for the style. Perhaps the wheat gave it some graininess.

D -This beer is very drinkable, both because of the body and because of the low abv.

If i'm being honest, this is not the best hefe i've had. I was very excited to try it, but was a bit let down. If i ever travel to Austin i will get this one fresh and perhaps up my review

4.75/5  rDev +8.7%

Reviewed from notes 12/20/2010.
Many thanks to Jefferz5000 for this wonderful growler of beer. Can't wait for growler #2.

A: typical for a wheat beer, but also has some undertones of citrus fruit. Also noticed a hint of some spice scents, perhaps corriander.

Ap: golden yellow with a 1 finger crisp white head full of small frothy bubbles. The head dissipated quickly.

B/T: mild carbonation, pleasant on the tongue. Not overly carbonated, but just enough to taste like there was carbonation there. A nice crisp, clean beer.

Af: very crisp, typicaly for the wheat style. It has a hint of citrus fruit that pairs nicely with the light wheat flavor. Not much bitterness at all. Sweet, with a crisp finish.

O: Perfect reminder of summer on a cold, snowy, wintery day on the east coast! If only everyday could end with a pint of this on the deck, life would be grand!

Cheers!
The CPJ

4.72/5  rDev +8%

Growler courtesy of jefferz5000, thanks so much! split three ways.

A: The beer pours a hazy light gold in color with a 1.5 finger head white head. The head has moderate retention and lacing. A beautiful looking beer.

S: The dominating smell of this beer is nutmeg and cloves. I wish there was a little more fruit on the nose.

T: The most flavorful hefeweise I have had. As contrasted to other hefes, there is less fruitiness. The dominating taste comes from the spices in this beer. In this beer there's flavors of nutmeg, cinnamon, cloves, and a little lemon zest, all perfectly balanced. By far the best tasting hefewisen I have had.

M: A little less carbonation that other beers of this class, but this is not a bad things as the spices in the beer add some zing that carbonation normally would.

D: For a 4.1 % ABV beer this has a ton of flavor. I would have this all day, any day. Too bad it's hard to come by in the Midwest. The people down in Texas are lucky to have this gem.

4.62/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On draught at Gingerman in Ausitn:
A - cloudy, creamy yellow with tight foam
S - classic banana, clove with a little bubble gum and green apple
T - more banana, clove
M/D - nice effervescence and a creamy pleasant mouthfeel. Excellent drinkability. Great example of the style.

4.36/5  rDev -0.2%

Huge thanks to glazeman for sharing this one with me and mini-glazeman. Paired with several different unknown, but delicious cheeses.

A - Hazy off yellow/tan in color with a nice frothy, soft, fluffy, pure white two finger head that settles to a quarter finger head and lingers around for the remainder for the drink. The top of the drink appears a bit more tan, and the bottom, more yellow. Awesome lacing.

S - The most aromatic and flavorful low-ABV brew that I have ever sniffed. Just outstanding and perfect for the style. Clove, banana, cinnamon, nutmeg, and vanilla. Mmmmm...good.

T - As someone who has traditionally really disliked hefeweizens, this is a delicious beer. Clove, vanilla, and all-spice up front, followed by a tasty biscuit-pilsner finish. Also, a distinct almond nut in the finish. A hint of lemon and orange throughout.

M - Very carbonated and appropriate for the style.

D - Here's where this one shines. I could easily finish a growler myself to the point of FUBAR. I would love to have this one again, but unfortunately, it might not ever happen. After drinking several beers of this style in Bavarian Austria, this is the best hefeweizen I have ever had.

In Houston on business, I figured this would be my chance to give this a try. Staying on the outskirts of town, so I stopped at a very well stocked store - lots of TX beers, but no Live Oak. Cashier is well versed and tells me the brewery does not bottle. hmmm - Hefe in the too 100 is unusual enough, but one not distributed. I'm wondering if a little home team cheering might be at work. But undaunted I set off for the Flying Saucer to track it down, and glad I am. Perhaps the best hefe I've had, besting the German leaders. Perfect blend of malt and yeast flavors without too much banana or clove.

4.04/5  rDev -7.6%

Served in a Sam Adam's Perfect Pint Glass

Thanks to jefferz5000 for letting me get my hands on this.

This beer pours a flat cloudy golden color. The aroma is a mixture of wheat, clove and candied sugar, specifically those necco candies that you get on valentines day. So I really enjoy the aroma. The candy continues into comprising the majority of the beer. There is a wheat flavor to the beer, but it is definitely subtle. The problem I have is the beer is flat, this is the best I can say. I wish I could of had it on tap, I'm sure it would be so much better.

4.5/5  rDev +3%

Thanks to LukeM23 for a grolwer of this beer. I have been wanting to try this one since I have been on BA.

Pours a murky dark golden yellow. Bananas, orange peel, pineapple in the smell. Taste mirrors the smells. One of the most banana flavored hefes I have ever consumed. Nice carbonation.

The best American Hefe I have ever consumed.

4.49/5  rDev +2.7%

Growler shared by 321Jeff complements of I don't know who.

Pours a hazy straw golden color with a thin white head that has nice retention but little lacing or depth. Aroma is a amazingly well balanced blend of typical hefe aromas of yeast, clove, wheat and banana. Strongest notes are wheat and spice with a little pepper in the background. Medium thick bodied with strong fine carbonation. Wheat and clove dominate the flavor, followed by pepper and a mild tangy citrus. Banana, yeast and lemon flavors are present as well but not quite as pronounced as some other versions of this style. Overall incredibly drinkable and refreshing; one of the most well balanced hefes I've ever had.

4.43/5  rDev +1.4%

Much thanks to jefferz5000 for hooking me up with this growler.

Pours a hazy golden straw yellow with a couple fingers of white head made up of tiny bubbles. Head slowly fades to a thin layer that lasts the duration.

Aroma is relatively mild, but very pleasant. Banana and clove take a backseat to the yeast. Some wheat also lingers back there as well. Overall very nice, just wish it was a bit stronger.

The mild aroma is even more surprising when I get the first taste! Loads of wheat spiciness with banana and clove and some pepper-like flavors.

The wheat comes through giving it a grainy mouthfeel and lots of carbonation. Above average in body for a Hefe. This one is incredibly drinkable, I may have to fly out to Austin to try this elixir straight from the tap sometime.

4.52/5  rDev +3.4%

I have had this once before years ago from a growler. Being in Texas, I had to give this another go. On tap at the Ginger Man in Dallas.

(A)- Pours a hazy golden yellow/orange color. Some really good froth and lacing left behind in the glass.

(S)- Bright and vibrant lemon zest and biscuit - like clove. Bits of bubblegum and a very subtle banana as it warms.

(T)- Just like the smell. A lovely crisp lemon peel with dry biscuit-like yeast. Very mellow bubblegum and clove letting the fruit and yeast do the work.

(M)- Such a crisp and smooth tasting beer. It is perhaps a lighter representation of the style I have had, but not lacking flavor by any means.

(O)- Easily one of the best Hefe's in the world. So light, but crisp and flavorful. A keg of this in my house (if I could) would not last long at all. And from my past experience with this beer, fresh and on tap; there is so substitute.

*Original Review ___

Growler poured into a tulip. Crazy thanks to Beerwolf77 for sharing the wealth!

(A)- Pours a cloudy orange hue that produced a decent white head that dissipated after awhile. (3.5)

(S)- Lots of ripe banana with a really nice clove aroma. Minimal lemon, but crisp. Some awesome wheat notes. Kind of a rustic character to it. (4.5)

(T)- Crisp, with a mellow banana/lemon profile. Nice dry wheat aspect with a telltale bubblegum finish. (4)

(M)- A good carbonation level and balance. A nice crispness to it. Smooth & mellow. (4)

(D)- Definitely a solid Hefeweiss for sure. Smooth and easy drinking even for the style.(4.5)

4.12/5  rDev -5.7%

64 oz growler split and poured into a Sierra Nevada tulip. No date or info.

Thanks to Beerwolf77 for acquiring this top 100 to share with the crew!

A - Insanely hazy straw golden yellow with a low off-white head. Can't see a bit through it. Low head, and little lace is a bit disappointing for a hefe.

S - Strong banana and a German yeast aroma, its got a big nose starting off but remains crisp. Hints of bubblegum and coriander give it that classic and inviting appeal.

T - A little thin in with a soft banana and wheat flavor and hints of coriander with a touch of bubblegum. As I remembered for sampling this about a year ago, it tastes good, but not great.

M - Soft and very smooth, it's got a medium-light bodied and soft, clean finish. Great mouthfeel!

D - Fantastic drinkability from this one with a great mouthfeel, it goes down very well. This isn't an out-of-this-world hefe as there's local stuff I find to be better than this (coughraritycough) but it's good.

4.07/5  rDev -6.9%

Huge thanks goes to jtortorice for sending this growler my way. Shared with my local tasting crew.

A: Cloudy golden yellow. Small white head leaves tiny bits of soapy lace.

S: Modest mix of banana, clove, wheat and yeast. Not super potent but nicley done.

T: The wheat profile is much stronger in the flavor. Clove, bubblegum, banana and nice yeasty finish. Slight citrus bite as well.

M: Medium to light body with soft carbonation. Smooth.

D: Overall a very nice American hefe. Super drinkable. This is my second time trying this and I would have to say that hype may play a small roll in inflating the scores.

4.52/5  rDev +3.4%

growler pour, thanks to Jason (Exiled) for another quality trade. served in a tall Franzi Weiss glass

A - pours over an inch of loose, bubbly and sudsy bright white foam. the beer is cloudy, pale gold in color.

S - bright and lively yeast: banana, citrus, green apples. lightly spiced with clove and cinnamon, some ginger on a bed of wheat and grains.

T - what sets this apart from just about every other Hefe I've had is the balance, instead of being fruit or spice heavy it starts out with some ripe bananas, apples, and citrus notes before turning to the other side. hints of cloves and spice dance upon wheat malt and biscuits, before a crisp and clean grainy finish.

M - body is on the lighter side of the style, with sharp and prickly yet not overdone carbonation. only missing that bit of creaminess you get from others, due to lack of body. finishes with strong lingering fruit, slightly dry and very clean.

D - without a doubt one of the most drinkable beers I've ever had. wonderful, full flavor yet light bodied and a very manageable ABV. this takes some will power to not chug down. great, yet unique example of a classic style. shame its so hard to get.

4.39/5  rDev +0.5%

On tap at the Austin Ginger man. It was a hazy, light orange/yellow color with a thin and spotty head to it. It left some moderate lacing as I drank it as well. A very nice looking beer for the style.

The aroma had a sweet wheat flavor along with banana, lemony citrus and a moderate clove spiciness. Very flavorful and well rounded Hefewiezen aroma.

I get lots of clove flavor throughout the beer. Lemony citrus and a nice banana flavor come through as well as a sweeter wheat malt flavor. Good but the clove flavor was a bit too overdone. Mine came served with a lemon the side. I drank half and made the notes above and then added the lemon. The lemon really softened the strong clove flavor I got without it and helped some of the bubblegum and citrus flavors stand out more. I'm not sure how the brewer intended it to be served but given where I had it I'll trust the way it was served.

The mouthfeel is Light with above avg carbonation. Drinkability is good, the clove was a little overpowering at first but it mellowed the more I drank. Otherwise it was a nicely flavored and easy drinking beer.

4.57/5  rDev +4.6%

Poured from a growler into a tulip. Big thanks to SSW117 for this one; thanks Sam!

a - Pours a murky orange golden color with one inch of white head and light carbonation evident.

s - Smells of bananas, spices, cloves, and wheat.

t - Tastes of spices, bananas, cloves, wheat, and grain.

m - Light body and light carbonation. Very easy to drink; I feel like I could drink this whole growler by myself.

d - While this isn't my favorite style, this is a very good beer. It smelt and tasted very good and the mouthfeel was great. Very drinkable and something I would love to have again sometime. If I could get this on tap normally I would probably start every session with a glass.

4.87/5  rDev +11.4%

Many thanks to Steve (a74gent) for knocking this off my wants list and for bringing a growler so I could drink plenty to make an informed review.

This brew comes out looking fantastic and never lets down. A hazy yellow-gold brew that shines even through the haze forms a thick, dense white head about two to three fingers high that really doesn't let up much at all and leaves lots of patchy lacing behind.
My nose doesn't even need to be near the glass for beautiful banana, yeast and clove aromas to make themselves known, backed by a light citrus under a pale, sweet malts and wheat backbone with light citrus hops notes just underneath.
This one's considerably light for being so absolutely flavorful. Plenty of sweetness that isn't cloying balanced by a light lemon zest and gentle hops notes, this is the real deal here as the banana, yeast and cloves remain the prominent flavors and the backbone is wheat with some nice malt presence. This is just exceptional thus far.
The body is nice as well, light to medium with a bit of crispness leading into a moderate smoothness. Carbonation makes this lively without taking anything away after starting off just slightly prickly. There's a touch of dryness in the middle before finishing out nice and sweet.
There's absolutely nothing taking away from the drinkability here, especially with an ABV around 4%. Hypothetically speaking, if I could get a bottle of this and saw it sitting on the shelf next to Weihenstephaner, my only option is to get both. To summarize: this one beats out Weihenstephaner in the sheer beauty and power of the aroma, while giving up half a point (for me) in mouthfeel. Both are absolutely the best examples of the style, making this one the best American hefeweizen I've ever had.

3.97/5  rDev -9.2%

Sampled at the August '10 Metro Detroit tasting. Hazy, yellow pour with a tall, frothy white head. Clean and yeasty with lots of lemon, moderate banana, sweet biscuit, toast, mild clove, some citrusy hops. Very clean and drinkable hefe. Medium-light body that finishes light and clean with moderate carbonation.

4.62/5  rDev +5.7%

Growler care of jefferz5000. Thanks so much Jeff for working with me over the course of like 2 months to get this in time to share with my hefeweizen loving friend who was visiting this weekend.

Multiple glasses poured from a growler into a weizen glass. It appears a cloudy yellow color with a finger of white head. The powers of retension are pretty decent and the lacing on the glass is quite interesting. Initially the head sticks in a layer of webbing all around the top as the head fades but as the experience continues it shows faint spots about the glass while sips are taken and it is swirled.

The aroma of live oak's hefeweizen is a perfect balance of light clove spice, banana, citrus and fruit. There are even minor suggestions of bubblegum that come through the back of the nose. This is a mighty fine smelling hefeweizen.

The taste of this offering is exactly what you would expect based off of the aroma's indication: banana, clove, fruitiness, light spicey character and bubblegum. It is lightly sweet upfront with a grainy/wheat flavor. The aftertaste includes spices like clove and mild wheaty grans with light suggestiosn of everything that was mentioned in both the aroma and initial taste.

This is a medium to light bodied brew that is modestly carbonated. A very drinkable offering with no indication of alcohol but is so fully flavored for a wheat beer. It has the perfect blend of flavors with the typical wheat, clove and banana but this offering is balanced perfectly and no single characteristic rises to be more dominant than the other. It just works perfectly together. Once the beer reaches warmer temperatures a slight presence of the alcohol starts to peak out and enhance the spice of the clove.

Heading into this, I was very skeptical about how good it was going to be. I am very picky about the hefeweizen style and this one really lived up to what I was expecting. If you havent had this one yet, you need to.

4.12/5  rDev -5.7%

Had this on tap at the meddlesome moth in Dallas. I came to TX to try this beer and it was actually quite difficult to find. First place I saw it on tap was the moth. Poured cloudy golden color and had dominating banana aromas. It tastes like it smells as well. A banana bomb. I can understand why this beer is rated so high. It's a more flavorful hefe than the traditonal german ones. Not a huge hefe fan, but this was up there as the best.

4.1/5  rDev -6.2%

Thanks very much to stopbarking for sending me a growler of this, which I have been wanting to try for a while now. Poured in to a Paulaner glass, the color is a hazed gold, with almost half the glass filled with fluffy white heading. Nose is nice and wheaty, with the usual hints of clove, and citrus. More of the same from the flavor. Mouthfeel is light and thirst quenching. Drinkability is a no brainer on a hot Summer day. For once an American brewery makes a Hef that can stand alongside its German counterparts. Well done

2.03/5  rDev -53.5%

The beer poured well with the right cloudy color and a good amount of foam. It's smell was okay and fit the style: no strong flavors but with a little lemon.
The beer tasted strongly of bubblegum. It was sweet and artificially fruity. I could taste a bit of lemon, but the candy flavor (and I don't mean candy like the candy sugar flavors you get in Beglian ales) was potent and very unpleasant. It felt too thick to drink as well and wasn't refreshing. For the rest of the evening after this drink, I had no appetite for beer.

3.55/5  rDev -18.8%

This Hefe poured with a mild white head and had a translucent egg yolk haze. Decent lace.

A sweet and pleasantly yeasty aroma had to be coaxed out of the glass with constant swirling. Pear, peach/nectarine, and wheat round it out nicely. Kind of smells like a Yankee Candle, either Vanilla Cookie or Buttercream.

Classic phenols are roughly where they belong, though what clove aspect it does have is relatively weak, and lemon and apple take precedence over banana. Fermentation temp could probably be dialed down a bit. Nothing spectacular jumps out, but it is very refreshing and very well integrated.

Mouthfeel is thin but creamy. Kind of weird, but I'll blame it on the growler (though carbonation is quite firm, as this growler was filled only three days ago and taped well).

This is the best American made Hefe I've ever had, and an above average Hefe in general. But if a good German were available, I'd go with that instead every time. Quite frankly I find it absurd that at the time of this review, Live Oak has a better rating than Weihenstephaner Hefe. Seriously, what the fuck.

4.15/5  rDev -5%

A mighty fine hefeweizen- textbook, in fact on the pour. Pours a hazy orange yellow, with a thin but tight, creamy head. The smell is lots of sweet banana with a touch of clove at the end. The taste is not as assertive as I expected- light banana, fresh hay, a little sweet, somewhat prickly from the carbonation, and a tad more hops than one might expect. Dry, and quite carbonated. A little surprising considering this is a growler. Straw notes predominate, very dry. While this is very good, I think I like my hefes a little softer and with a more balanced banana and clove flavor throughout. Not quite world class.

3.95/5  rDev -9.6%

Pours a glowing hazy orange peach with a small, but sticky, gauzy white head. Nose of sweet wheat bread, mild bananas, some cloves, a hint of bubblegum, and a sprig of spicy herbal noble hops. Very good smelling hefe. Soft wheat malt of bready sweetness and tangy yeast. Restrained bubblegum and banana flavors. A little clove. Spicy noble hop finish. Medium-bodied with a soft, proteiny feel.

Live Oak HefeWeizen from Live Oak Brewing Company