Live Oak HefeWeizen - Live Oak Brewing Company

Live Oak HefeWeizenLive Oak HefeWeizen

Live Oak Brewing Company visit their website
Texas, United States

Hefeweizen |  5.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-07-2003)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Live Oak HefeWeizen Alström Bros
4.1/5  rDev -6.6%

Growler, thanks to Phoenix2443. Shared at the CCB Hunahpu release. Poured into my Stone IRS tulip.

A: Cloudy, straw, yellow color. The pour drops a small finger of white head that does not retain well. It's just a touch flat, I don't think this was a counter pressure fill.

A: Big banana and fruit esters. Sweet malts, wheat, and an earthy hoppiness lead to a small oak aroma as well.

T: Same as the nose. Earthy, bannana, pear, and a clove finish. I think the bannana could have been toned down a bit, but style wise, it is right on par. Crisp and clean finish.

M: Light to medium body, low levels of carbonation, probably due to the growler fill.

D and overall impression: I could drink quite a lot of this brew. It would be just what I would reach for on a hot summer afternoon. Overall, I really liked this beer. If the bannana was just a little less, I think this could've been close to excellent, but because of that, it's just very good. Would have again, but only through a proper growler fill or on tap. Skal.

Gtreid, Mar 13, 2010
4.28/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A-pours a glowing golden yellow colored beer with a beautiful unfiltered looking haze. The head is pure white, bubbly, and slightly thin

S-the nose is quite big and brings nice golden fruits and a light funky yeast. Golden pears and banana are most prominent, a light peach as well, with a little clove spiciness balancing out the fruity sweetness. A light touch of yeast keeps this true to the style

T-the taste is slightly spicier than the nose. The spice is present up front, clove and a touch of pepper, the fruits set in towards the middle, pear and banana with hints of soft peach. The spiciness and a light touch of tart funk bring in the finish.

M-the body is a little larger than I thought it would be, medium to light with a certain level of syrup to it. It has some prickly carbonation on top of a very smooth palate finishing on the dry side; but not overly dry by an means

D-this is so easy to drink, big flavors and right on point. So low in alcohol to match a nice level of complexity with a solid mixture of spice and sweet soft fruits. Great Brew!!!

cpetrone84, Mar 11, 2010
4.73/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On tap at The Ginger Man in Austin. Ratings are relative to the style.

A: beautiful, hazy gold with one finger of creamy white head. Moderate amounts of foamy lace on the glass. Gorgeous!

S: citrus, banana, wheat, creamy malt. If each ingredient were a tad more forward this would be a 5.0. The aroma invites you to take a sip...

T: lemon-citrus up front, turns creamy & malty with delicious wheat flavor showing itself strongly by the drink's end. Hints of banana linger after you swallow, temping you to taste again. This is among the best hefs I've ever tasted.

M: nearly full-bodied and unexpectedly creamy! Medium carbonation with a mild sting on your tongue as it lingers. Can't imagine anything better in this dept.

D: far too easy to drink. Goes down easily and is quite refreshing. I can't see myself ever not being in the mood for one of these. The ultimate session hef.

The only other hefeweizen I'd consider on par with this is the Augustiner Hefeweizen. Last I had it was before my days on BA, and unfortunately they don't ship that particular brew to the USA. Would love to compare them in a single sitting someday. But until then, I'm content crowning this brew Best Of Style.

brystmar, Mar 09, 2010
4.58/5  rDev +4.3%

Obtained a growler finally of this beer from xpimptastikx. Thanks man. I have been wanting this beer.

Pours a cloudy deep orange color. Exactly what a good German Weizen should look like. Head dissapated fast though and no lacing but that's probably because of the growler and long trip.

Aroma is awesome. Lots of clove but a little bit of banana. I usually like more banana.

Tastes exactly as it smells With more clove than banana. A little more viscous than a Weheinstephaner (the best IMO) but awesome. Low carb but that's probably because of the growler being a week old. Overall an awesome beer. Glad I got to grab a growler of this.

PeprSprYoFace, Mar 08, 2010
4.03/5  rDev -8.2%

Tried at the Flying Saucer Beer Emporium in houston, tx. Poured into tulip.

Hazy golden color, not my preferred beer style, but tasted of yellow banana, with a good head pour. Its light, too light for me, hops are low, mostly wheaty and grainy feel and texture. It made the top 100 list, Im sure I could understand if I had more respect for the wheat beers. Not yet, not yet.

randawakes, Mar 03, 2010
3.95/5  rDev -10%

Thanks to Alcstradamus for letting me sample this beer. Poured from growler into snifter.

A- Pours a hazy gold with about a half finger's worth of head. Not much in terms of lacing left on the side of the glass.

S- Pretty standard for the style, clove, banana, some candy sugar but the banana smell is a little more dominant that other hefe's.

T- Banana is right at the forefront with some yeast in there to go along with the sugar. Also there is the normal clove and really not much else.

M- Medium bodied that is right on par with the style. Good carbonation and an overall smoothness.

D- A good tasting beer that has a low ABV makes this a good candidate for a session beer. I think that the banana is a little more overpowering that in a normal hefe.

Wisconsinality, Feb 28, 2010
4.05/5  rDev -7.7%

Seems pretty dark for a hefe'....pours with a nice two finger head and some effervescent bubbles.

The smell is a tad mustier than I prefer, but everything underneath that layer of must is excellent. Obviously the usual clove/yeast/yadda yadda yadda...a very nice pink bubble gum aroma becomes prominent after some swirling opens it up a bit.

The taste also has a bit of crayon/must in the forefront which is a bit of a turnoff. Underneath is a nice layer of yeast and banana peel, but surprisingly not a lot of other complexities. I know we all talk of "expectations" and how they can be a killer, and I think that may be the case here with me. I am enjoying this beer enough that my glass is disappearing with the speed of a Bud Light, but for some reason it just isn't wowing me.

Mouthfeel is very nice...medium bodied with soft carbonation. Pretty much spot on for how I want the style to feel.

Drinkability is off the charts, as mentioned by the previous Bud Light reference (tongue in cheek). I don't feel like this contends with some of the others at the top of the style, and not even with the best American Hefe' (Dancing Man Wheat), but nonetheless it is a very fine beer that only suffers from one real fault.

alcstradamus, Feb 26, 2010
4.97/5  rDev +13.2%

Draft at the Addison Flying Saucer

A: Pours a hazy yellow with a big white head that fades and leaves a good bit of lacing on the glass.

S: The nose is full of lots of banana, cloves, and wheat with a slight bubblegum aroma as well.

T: The taste is the best I've had in a hefe. Loads of banana, cloves, and bubblegum. The finish lasts for a while and is slightly spicey but mainly sweet and refreshing.

M: Really creamy and on the lower end of medium bodied.

D: I could drink this all the time if it wasn't available only on draft. World class hefe and highly recommended.

GregSVT, Feb 21, 2010
4.78/5  rDev +8.9%

Growler acquired in a trade with stopbarking; been looking forward to this for a while. Split with Rhinos00, my portion being served in an Erdinger Hefeweizen glass.

A- Pours a very hazy golden straw with a huge, billowy, white head that recedes to a dense 1/4" to 1/2" foamy white layer. When held up to any light, this beer glows like a lamp. Due to the haze, not much visible carbonation or beading. Splotches of lacing all over the inside of the glass. So true to style, this would be perfect if it had better head retention.

S- Clove, spice, and bubble gum dominate. Wheat and lemon in the background. Prototypical hefeweizen flavors, but more intense in all aspects with more complexity.

T- Again, clove, spice, bubblegum, wheat, and lemon. Some yeasty breadiness with an incredible citrus tang in the finish that really elevates this beer to the upper tier. Everything I love in a hefeweizen, times ten. The volume is turned up full blast on this one.

M- Medium bodied with a snappy finish. Surprisingly tiny bubbles with carbonation that leans toward the lower end of the spectrum. This is least impressive aspect of this beer, but still deserves a good grade.

D- 10 out of 10. Multiple growler session would not be out of the question if I thought my bladder could stand up to the challenge. One of the most sessionable beers I've had the pleasure of trying and the best hefeweizen I have ever had. I would love to have this straight from the source.

Pecorasc, Feb 20, 2010
4.68/5  rDev +6.6%

Thanks to pecorasc for sharing this growler with me. Multiple pours into a Great Lakes pilsner glass.

A- Pours a pale, straw yellow color. Very cloudy. Produced three fingers width of white, frothy head. Reduced to a ring throughout consumption. Some lacing as consumed with decent head retention.

S- Simple, but all the traditional components were not only there. but well done. Mixture of fresh, spicy cloves, wheat, and yeast. Really hard to point out much else.

T- Holy hell! Much more complex than the aroma led off to believe. A mix of what seemed like weizen and German wheat yeast. Fresh, spicy cloves upfront with a slightly sweet, sour tang in the background. This tang flavor is present throughout, from beginning to end, making this quite a unique hefeweizen. Midway through a wheat profile develops leading the way to bubble gum finish. Tremendous flavors for such a simple beer.

M- Light bodied and well carbonated. Not much to add here other than that it could be improved ever so slightly.

D- There was something in this beer that just hit the glands in the back of the throat and almost forced me to take an even bigger gulp each time. One of the most drinkable beers I have ever come across. Now this should be the definition of a session beer.

Overall, the most flavorful session beer I have had to date. What really set this beer apart from most other great hefeweizens I have had is the subtle, sweet/sour tang in the background...most likely from their house German wheat yeast. So flavorful, yet so simple. I'm really craving another growler of this one.

rhinos00, Feb 16, 2010
4.53/5  rDev +3.2%

64 oz growler into several glasses. Thanks go to ffejherb for providing this.

Pours a hazy golden orange, with several billowy fingers of foamy bright-white head. Great looking frothy retention to this, which leaves a good amount of robust lacing behind. The aroma is sharp in the nose with crisp bready wheat character, with some bright citric tones of lemon and orange giving this a deep fruity edge. The yeast is just off the charts here for a Hefe, with bubblegum, a bit of ripened banana, and clove being very pronounced. All of the flavors involved meld to form a delicious smelling sharp tang in the nose.

The taste is once again very robust with banana and bubblegum flavors, while sweet bready wheat and lemon zest rolls across the tongue. Clove is a bit more subdued than it was in the aroma, adding some light zest that works well with the tartness of the citrus. The mouthfeel is light-medium bodied, with one of thee smoothest, creamiest, quenching, and all around easy drinking feels on a beer that I've ever had. This is one of those beers that I could put down a growler of in record time and not give one damn about sharing any of it. Just so freaking delicious and easy drinking, it should be a crime.

This is the second time I've reviewed this and I don't think that either of them really get across just how full flavored and easy this beer is. One day I'll get to try this on tap and then die a happy man.

Kegatron, Feb 12, 2010
4.45/5  rDev +1.4%

I hadn't heard of this beer before it was brought to a recent tasting by drabmuh. Thanks Matt for bringing a true gem and sharing it with 12 other people!

Poured from a growler. Cloudy, yellowy gold color. Nice bits of yeast in suspension which is always great for a Hefe. The gold sheen of the beer was nice in the light. It would have been great to get a full pour into a pint glass to truly admire the appearance, but my mom always told me it was nice to share with others....so I did.

Smell is a great combination of clove, banana, and yeast. There are hints of grass and orange peel or some kind of citrus. Overall the aroma was a fairly strong presence.

The taste brought out the same characteristics as the smell with additions of wheat and a slight tartness. I definitely got more citrus peel character in the flavor.

Mouthfeel was excellent with a healthy amount of carbonation that gave the beer a lively feel on the palate.

Drinkability is truly outstanding and I usually don't give 5s in this category, but I truly think this beer would be sessionable by everyone, including my wife who doesn't like beer.

ahalloin, Feb 03, 2010
4.6/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured with a golden color, nice fluffy head, and had opaque body. Smells of banana, some citrus fruits, and a small hint of vanilla. The taste was a nice change from most hefeweizens I've tasted, the different fruits used in a unique blend. I especially enjoyed the small hint of vanilla. Very drinkable beer, easily sessionable and overall a joy to drink.

fjordhook, Jan 31, 2010
4.95/5  rDev +12.8%

A long time target short list want provided with great speed by a wonderful stand-up BA that I will just randomly send beer to from now on.

Poured from a growler into a wheat beer glass. I was nervous about the growler but when I cranked the top I heard the tell tale "HISS" of carbon escaping and a weight was lifted off my shoulders. Beer is dark yellow and completely opaque, huge haze to it. It forms an aggressive and full head of small to medium bubbles that leaves a lot of lacing on the glass. Carbonation is steady and moderate. This beer looks beautiful.

The aroma is in your face with this beer. Its not quite like a wheat wine but it pushes that boundary for sure. Strong banana and cloves. Completely fills my face with this aroma. I could smell it from a couple of feet away. It is SO good.

Wonderful flavor as well. First, this is the most drinkable beer I've ever had. Greater than 5 IMO. Medium body, slightly more body than I was expecting, but its still wonderful. Some good sweetness up front and a lot of good flavor in the back with a nice wheaty feeling to it. Great ester characters throughout the palate and beer. Gets better the more you drink. Just spectacular. The carbonation give the beer a slight sourness that helps connectivitiy. This is seriously one of the best BEERS I have ever had.

This is seriously one of my favorite beers. I should look into getting a keg of this because I would make it my daily drinker. Its a cruel set of circumstances that I am in DC and this beer is in Austin. I have an outstanding ISO Live Oak Hefeweizen out from now on.

drabmuh, Jan 25, 2010
4.47/5  rDev +1.8%

Thanks to xpimptastikx for sending a growler of this for the most recent cycle of GATM. Shared with friends on 1/23/10.

A - Poured a hazy golden body with a finger's width of fluffy, bright white head that settled into a quarter inch of creamy retention and yielded a bit of spotty lace.

S - Dominant wheat malt character with hints of clove and bubblegum. However, both the clove and bubblegum notes are quite subtle for the style. Instead, a lemony citrus quality is apparent, as well as mild floral notes and sweet malt. Very subtle yet pleasant aroma.

T - Obviously, the flavor is quite wheaty and bready, giving the malt the upper hand over the other elements. The yeast character is very apparent, although quite subtle at the same time. The clove spiciness is very subtle, emerging in the middle along with slight peppery notes, and lasts through to the backend. However, the sweet and spicy notes do not dominate at all. Finishes with a touch of banana and faint floral hop notes.

M - Medium bodied with a very silky texture and soft carbonation, providing only a bit of prickle on the tongue. Mouthfeel is quite creamy overall. Finishes with a hint of sweetness and spice on the palate.

D - Live Oak has managed to create an extremely drinkable Hefe that goes slightly against the norm. This is my first experience with this brewery, and I was not disappointed. While this isn't an example of a run-of-the-mill Hefe, it does possess everything there is to enjoy with a wheat beer - a pleasant bready maltiness, subtle spicy yeast and a hint of lemony zing. Very nice!

ffejherb, Jan 25, 2010
4.65/5  rDev +5.9%

Thanks to JDV for trading me this growler!

Poured into a conic pint glass, pours a golden peach color, hazy with some particles in suspension. Fluffy yet sticky eggshell white head that leaves moderate lacing on the glass. The nose is sweet with bananas, bubble gum, honey, and lots of wheat and yeast giving a bready character. There is a nice bouquet of herbal scents with cloves and nutmeg, a hint of ginger as well.

The taste is lots of banana with some cloves, wheat, yeast, and vanilla. Finishes with a nice hop tang.

Mouthfeel is good, moderate carbonation but a little syrupy as well. Very nice and refreshing. Overall a very drinkable beer. Makes me wish that I could drink it all summer. Definitely the best American HefeWeizen I've had yet.

knight84, Jan 03, 2010
2.38/5  rDev -45.8%

Came with a finger's worth of bone-white head with low retention. Nose was heavy on banana with an undercurrent of clove. Color was a hazy golden-yellow. Mouthfeel was medium with a LOT of banana esters on the tongue. Stylistically, a great example, especially for an American brewer, but for me, I was shiveringly cold on it. Finish was not a total fruit bomb, but it was too close for my liking. Cloves, people! Fermentation at lager temps, please.

woodychandler, Dec 21, 2009
4.72/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Got this in my Secret Santa package from ballewblake. Thanks for everything once again Blake. Never thought I would try this.

A- Pours a very nice golden hazy yellow color. Good size one finger bone white head that dies down after a minute or two. Nice lacing was left on the sides of the glass the entire beer.

S- Very nice wheaty bready smell comes on first. Banana and light clove notes make up a big portion of the nose as a whole. This smells clean...kind of hard to explain what I mean.

T- The tastes in this beer are amazing. Everything is big and long with the tastes. Nice yeasty taste hits perfect with the clove banana. No one flavor takes over the other until the end when the banana seems to be the last flavor that gently fades away.

M- Medium mouthfeel. Carbonation was perfect for this beer. Kind of a creamy mouthfeel as well. Clove and banana is left on the palate well after the sips are done. This is also true with the aftertaste. Very clean taste and flavors are sharp!

D- This is just wow! I was very glad to have gotten the chance to try this beer. This has to be one of the top 3 Hefeweizen I have ever had. Hands down this is the best American Hefeweizen I have tasted.

alleykatking, Dec 12, 2009
4.18/5  rDev -4.8%

had it in austin...

pour is nice with a lemon yellow cloudy golden color. nose is crisp floral, clove, and a very very delicate banana. boy do i love a fresh well made hef. and this is it. palate is crisp with lavender, chamomile, banana, clove and apple. very refreshing. had two. quite a creamy mouthfeel. minty crisp finish.

the best on this site... and won't argue. its fantastic. but i've had german hefs on tap in source and they were just as great.

when older the floral mild into something of wet chamomile and lavender... banana is a bit more prevalent then. feel doesn't have the clean quality anymore but till not stale.

rtepiak, Dec 06, 2009
4.65/5  rDev +5.9%

Cloudy golden-yellow body with a creamy alabaster head. Leaves nice, thin, long sheets of lace as the beer is imbibed. The nose is all bubble tape original bubble gum, cloves and banana. The taste shows bubble gum, wheat malt, coriander, banana and freshly juiced pear. The real highlight of this beer is the mouthfeel. It's what makes this example unique. Without a doubt this hefe' has the thickest, heaviest, creamiest, most luxurious feel I've ever experienced for the style. This mouthfeel belongs on an Imperial Stout! Extremely tasty and drinkable, a treat and unique experience. I am lucky to have this available on tap nearby and will have this one frequently from this point on.

natelocc787, Dec 04, 2009
3.95/5  rDev -10%

Was wondering when I was going to try this highly regarded hefeweizen...and then I found out Mauerhan was so graciously going to share a growler he had just received in a trade. Thanks man!

A: Murky yellow with hints of orange. White fluffy head was immediately evident, but subsided after a minute or two.

S: Subtle banana and clove/spice-like aromas accompanied by wheat malts.

T: The first thing I noticed was the sweet malt character in the beginning and middle of this beer, then the banana and light fruit character thereafter.

M: Nice light body on it with mild carbonation, which was perfect for this style of ale.

D: I found the more I drank this, the more I liked this brew. All the flavors gelled well together, and the 4.10% ABV makes this tremendously drinkable.

Overall: A very good beer and a great hefeweizen. Not sure I would seek out, but would definitely jump at the chance of trying this beer at a bar or buddy's house again. A try it beer. Cheers!

OlieIPA, Oct 31, 2009
4.08/5  rDev -7.1%

thanks thanks to wagenvolks for sending this out. enjoyed with olieipa.

pours a cloudy golden straw color with a half finger white head that flashes in the pan and is gone. slight lacing.

smell is full of banannas cloves wheat malts and full of estery goodness.

taste is yummy. a bit of banana with some spicy cloves. a subtle sweetness. very tasty.

overall a very tasty hef. would love to drink more of it. drinkble to t. thanks drew.

Mauerhan, Oct 31, 2009
4.85/5  rDev +10.5%

Multiple samples at 2009 GABF.

With all the extreme beer available at the GABF, this was the only hefe I tried. It's reputation as one of the world's best is deserved, this is fantastic beer.

The wheat produces a crackery grain flavor that pairs with the typical banana and a mild clove note. This beer may not wow some people, but anyone that has experienced a selection of top-notch hefes will know right away that this is no ordinary beer.

There is just something about it, those wheat, banana, and clove flavors are simply amazing. Perhaps the flavors are just a bit brighter or deeper, maybe it is the creamy smooth body, but I can't name a better American made Hefeweizen and I would be hard pressed to name a better German take on the style...ok, maybe Weihenstephaner, but its close.

Now they just need to bottle more of it and start shipping cases to Denver!

BradLikesBrew, Oct 19, 2009
4.4/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Growler courtesy of wagenvolks. Thanks so much for the trade!
Poured from 64oz growler into Hefe glass.

A - Pours a cloudy dark golden/light orange color with a fluffy white head. The foamy goodness leaves a good amount of lacing behind along the sides of the glass and a half a fingers worth of head sticks around as the cap.

S - Ripe bananas mixed with wheat and yeast notes. Smells very fresh like it was just poured from the tap right in front of me. Maybe a small hint of cloves, but mostly bananas and yeast.

T - This has a more subtle banana flavor to it then I expected, which I like. It seems to me that too often, the sweet banana flavors overtake everything else...not with this one. Some really nice bread notes mixed with a hint of cloves on the finish that has a nice bite.

M - Light and refreshing that goes down so easy and smooth. It does have some body on it for a Hefe, but still sticks right to the style overall.

D - Super-easy to drink...gotta save some for the g/f or else I'd drink the entire growler by myself. Live Oak really killed it with this Hefe and I'm going to hit up wagenvolks again for another one in the very near future.

Sean9689, Oct 19, 2009
4.43/5  rDev +0.9%

Ditmier provided a growler of the Live Oak Hefe to get the ball rolling at Friday night's tasting... I had quite a few pours of this over the course of the night... Thanks Eric.

Hazy lite pale golden... nice head.. sorta creamy looking.

Nose is more estery than phenolic with bananas coming in ahead of the cloves... Smell is very fresh.

Flavor is pretty much the same as the aroma... bready with the above noted components.. I think what makes this a standout in the hefe category is that even though we're all getting it in growlers from Texas.... it is still a whole hell of alot more fresh than the bottles from the motherland. medium body with a fair amount of carbonation that somehow still seems pretty creamy.

Really glad I got to try this again... had a few pours at the GABF.. but this was very nice... I would buy it all the time if it was available, but for now.. I will have to just enjoy my SN Kellerwiess.

JohnGalt1, Oct 12, 2009