Live Oak HefeWeizen - Live Oak Brewing Company

Live Oak HefeWeizenLive Oak HefeWeizen

Live Oak Brewing Company visit their website
Texas, United States

Hefeweizen |  5.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-07-2003)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Live Oak HefeWeizen Alström Bros
deepsouth

Mississippi

4.15/5  rDev -5.3%

drank this one, bottled from a growler, with barefootbrewer.

the beer po9ured a cloudy hazy yellow, like a hefeweizen.

the smell is banana, wheat & cereal.

the taste is consistant witht the smell. adding lemon notes and an earthiness.

the mouthfeel is excellent. much thicker than i expected.

this is a great hefe i could drink all day long and hefe's aren't my favorite style.

07-23-2008 14:44:51 | More by deepsouth
Damian

3.65/5  rDev -16.7%

Drank from a half-gallon growler
Acquired in a trade with thickerfreakness
Served in a weizen glass

Poured an uber-cloudy amber color with bright straw yellow highlights. The creamy, tight, two-finger, bubbly white head faded to a lasting cap of foam. Sticky blocks of thick lacing clung to the sides of the glass. A substantial amount of yeast sediment collected in the bottom of the liquid.

The aroma was quite unusual for the style. Earthy, musty and sour. Lemony and a bit funky (almost brett-like) initially with some candy-like, vanilla sweetness appearing later on. Perhaps some bubblegum as well? An interesting mix of sweet and tart. Smoke was also noticeable. Spicy, with clove being the dominant spice.

The taste was similar to the aroma. Lemony, citrusy and quite sour (once again, almost brett-like). Complex and unusual. Malty sweet up front with a wheat-like tartness and a touch of smoke in the center. The finish was snappy. Semi-bitter, tart and dry with a lingering semi-dry aftertaste.

The mouthfeel was thin and watery with a very mild carbonation. Quite disappointing.

As for drinkability, this was definitely a refreshing offering that can "beat the Texas heat" (as the website claims) or the Massachusetts heat, for that matter.

This was a very unusual hefeweizen and, frankly, a bit of a disappointment. This beer severely lacked many of the key attributes (intense notes of banana, bubblegum and clove as well as a lush, creamy smoothness) typically found in better examples of this style. The flavors in this beer just did not "pop" like I was expecting them to. Also, the sour/funk characteristic, albeit intriguing, was quite odd. An interesting offering but probably not one that I would seek out again.

07-13-2008 18:28:45 | More by Damian
barleywinebrewer

New Hampshire

4.8/5  rDev +9.6%

thanks to barefootbrewer for a bottle of this fine brew! Ordinarily I don't condone the bottling of growler and on tap only brews but my hats off on to the original bottler of this fine brew. The last time I had a hefe this good it was carried off a plane from germany!

A - Hazy golden yellow color with a solid white head

S - citrus, clove, banana, wheat and bready malts

T - similar to the nose but so lively, so well balanced it's hard to justify in words.

M - medium bodied, nicely carbonated, crisp zesty finish

D - yes sir, may I have another? I really need to get a growler of this shipped to me so I can enjoy this with my friends!

07-07-2008 00:33:43 | More by barleywinebrewer
csmiley

4.53/5  rDev +3.4%

Thanks to hopsleeroy for this hand bottled bomber.

A - Pours light gold in color. Borders on straw. Nice cloudiness with a milky nature. Head was average with good retention. The resulting lace left behind was nice.

S - Wheat and banana start things out. A sharp and pleasing spiciness follows with hints of pepper and allspice. After the wheat fades, the banana sticks around for a little while longer. Honey and grain finish out the aroma.

T - Banana and wheat intertwine for a nice initial flavor. Clove chimes in quickly and fades to a peppery spice. Grain is stronger in the flavor than the smell and provides a nice background to the fruit and spice. Pale malt and a dash of hops are on the tail end of the flavor.

M - Medium to light bodied. Carbonation is light but still good for the style. Finish is crisp and clean. VERY crisp and clean.

D - Extremely drinkable. It is smooth, clean, and flavorful...all very good characteristics for a wheat beer. It goes down very quick and easy which places the drinkability very high. I could easily drink a few of these. Live Oak really nailed the style with this brew. I'd like to see this beer bottled with some decent distribution.

07-06-2008 21:14:06 | More by csmiley
prototypic

4.58/5  rDev +4.6%

Thanks to csmiley for sharing the hand bottled bomber.

Appearance: It pours a very hazy, light straw color. Cloudiness cannot be understated. There's a few small pieces of sediment swimming around, but they're small and mostly insignificant. Head is about a finger and a half deep and foamy white in color. Retention was definitely on the shorter side and left a spotty coat of lace lining the glass.

Smell: Spicy notes of clove and very light orange peel greet the nose first. The spiciness is apparent, but dialed in just right. Not too strong. Banana scent makes an impression and adds a nice element to it. There's definitely a grainy, earthy fragrance to it. There's a faint sweet smell that emerges. It's indistinct, but perhaps a little fruity. Truly an exceptional smelling Hefe.

Taste: Clove and banana flavors are readily apparent up front. Orange peel and perhaps some other light spicy elements that blend well. It's very grainy and earthy which is typical for the style. It is a little sweet toward the end. I really can't quite put my finger on the sweet flavor. Suffice it to say it's a nice touch. Though it's not overly complex, this is really a fine tasting beer. Easily the best tasting Hefe I've encountered.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability: It's light bodied and very smooth. It's really well done. Generally, beers with such a light feel don't have a creamy feel quite like this. I'd go so far as to say it's damn near silky. If it were a little thicker, a "5" would be warranted for feel. Drinkability is high given its smooth, light feel. I'm clueless as to what the abv is, but it's not apparent in taste or smell. I'm close to awarding a "5" for drinkability, but Hefes aren't one of my favorite styles. I could tackle a number of these with ease, but I'd probably move on to an IPA after a while. Just my preference. I can only take so much clove.

Live Oak's clearly set the bar for Hefes with this one. I was a little apprehensive about how well it'd hold up being hand bottled, but it seems in great shape. Carbonation seems to have held up really well. But, I haven't tried it fresh so could be wrong there. All in all, fantastic beer. Thanks, Chris.

07-06-2008 16:39:42 | More by prototypic
BeerTruth

Connecticut

4.38/5  rDev 0%

My boy from FL, tpd975, hooked me up with this special treat. 4th of July is as good a day as any to crack this baby open. Thanks a bunch Greg.

22 oz. hand bottled bomber poured into a weizen glass. Hefe's have never been my style, but this is the best of the best so let's give it a go.

Pours a hazy straw yellow with a fluffy bright white head that dies down to a thin layer of foam. Some legs here and there left on the side, could use more though. Smell is lots of banana, spice, and pepper with a touch of lemongrass. Clove and grains tickle the nose as well with a wheat bread backbone. Ok, I'll admit it...I like the taste of this hefe a lot. The banana flavors are very under control with a sweet citrus hop taste in there as well. Some caramel malt midway followed by a spicy dry wheat aftertaste to wrap it up. Light creamy body with a smooth refreshing feel to it. Carbonation is pretty steady with this one as well. Very easy going down, perfect summer beer to sit outside and grill with. Speaking of which, I'm headed to the back yard with the pup. This hefe has changed my opinion on the style. Do what you can to get your hands on this beer, it made me a believer.

07-04-2008 20:14:55 | More by BeerTruth
Homerbag

Wisconsin

4.58/5  rDev +4.6%

Big thanks to BgThang for sending this my way.

Has a cloudy, opaque body with a finger thick head. Great looking, however I use to hefes having such a big head that I felt this was lacking, but that is all it was lacking.

Smell and taste is big on yeast, grains, and spices. Benchmark hefe as far as the balance of banana and clove. Not overpowering, not under utilized, just right. A great blend of earthy grains and an almost citric quality round it out. Feel is crisp and smooth at the same time. Great warm weather beer, light enough to drink when hot out, but not thin.

I would drink this over and over again. I feel out of love with hefes for a while, this is starting to bring me back.

07-04-2008 08:02:51 | More by Homerbag
SQNfan

This poured cloudy and deep yellow to light golden in color with a moderate white head. The nose was filled with classic aromas of banana and clove, spice and some yeast. In the mouth it was medium-bodied with good weight but also very drinkable. This was really well-balanced and quite drinkable...great start to the long 4th of July weekend!

07-04-2008 03:13:52 | More by SQNfan
Hojaminbag

Colorado

4.68/5  rDev +6.8%

Got this from Bgthang in a trade, thanks! I've been looking for this one for awhile.

Slightly cloudy yellow bodyw with a good sized head that dissapates quickly.

Smells great. Bannanas, clove and peppery yeasts, wheat. Definitely the best smelling-wheat beer I have encountered. Balanced aroma, excellent.

Taste follows the aroma, a great heffeweizen. Up front is the bannana and peppery yeast flavor and then the slight clove taste. Finishes with a good wheat bite and just a touch of citrus. Great heffeweizen. Mouthfeel is excellent also, just creamy enough for a heffe.

Exremely drinkable, my first Bomber dissappeared way to quickly. The best heffeweizen I have tried yet.

07-01-2008 21:28:55 | More by Hojaminbag
hwwty4

Missouri

4.43/5  rDev +1.1%

Thanks to jtrockchalk for a chance to try this one.

From a hand bottled bomber. This is my first experience with anything hand bottled out from a (assuming) beer gun. I was slightly afraid that it would have lost a bit but when I popped the crown I heard a big whoosh of gas escaping and all my worries were alleviated. Its held up really well with all the traveling this bomber has done. This beer poured a hazy straw yellow with just a slight white head. I think with a bit more of a vigorous pour a larger head would have erupted. It left just a slight lacing on the glass. The smell is heavy cloves up front, with just a bit of banana and biscuit. The taste is a traditional Hefe profile. Clove and biscuity malts, bananas and vanilla. Really straight forward. This is one of the cleanest beers I have ever drunk. The mouthfeel is light, crisp and finishes dry. This is really a great beer. Live Oak did a wonderful job with it.

06-28-2008 02:41:07 | More by hwwty4
DrDogbeer

Big ups to Hopsleeroy for letting me try this one! Pooured into a hefe glass- fun looking beer- lightly hazed light orange/yellow with a fluffy white head. Like a hefe should look. Smell is good- light aromas of bananas, yeast and clove. Nothing over the top. Taste is clean for a hefe. Light flavors similar to the aromas. Very easy to drink and refreshing. Not too smooth or flat. Great aftertaste. Lots of banana and some hop to finish it. Great beer!

06-28-2008 01:03:30 | More by DrDogbeer
EliteDigger

Wisconsin

Received this beer in an LIF from Hopsleeroy... Thanks again for the great opportunity!!
A-Pours a very nice looking pale golden yellow color with light orange highlights, mildly cloudy and a light white head that disappeared fairly quickly. This was bottled from a keg so I imagine the carbonation and possibly the suspended yeast would be slightly more substantial....
S-Not a whole lot here even though I let it warm up. Some mild yeastiness, grass, lemon, banana and clove.
T-Pretty good taste though fairly mild. More of the same as the smell with some sweet banana and lemony tartness at the forefront with tastes of clove, yeast, grain, and fresh cut grass hiding in the background.
M-Thinner than I expected and I think the carbonation took a hit with the hand bottling, but overall pleasant. Goes down very easy...
D-The taste is good and I'm not sure what the ABV is on this, but I could see sitting having one or four of these at a sitting out on a nice deck in the hot sun.
Overall a solid but not spectacular hefe. But all in all a very nice beer from the folks at Live Oak.
Digs
PS-I'd love to have this fresh on tap some day as I think it would rate slightly higher...

06-25-2008 21:49:06 | More by EliteDigger
barefootbrewer

Mississippi

4.43/5  rDev +1.1%

A: This poured a hazy yellow/orange with a thick white head.

S: Bananas hit me at first followed by wheat/cereal aroma. Quite inviting.

T: The taste is spot on. There are lots of cereal, banana, ester and clove flavors.

M: Smooth. Medium to full bodied, but light enough to still be refreshing.

D: Super smooth and easy. Quite possibly the best Hefeweizen I've had!

06-23-2008 21:33:37 | More by barefootbrewer
brewdlyhooked13

4.28/5  rDev -2.3%

Appearance - pours a proper clouded sunshiny yellow, a creamy white cap of a finger+. Sticky lace swirls around the glass.

Aroma - banana and clovey yeast is pretty much right on the money. Hint of gunpowder with warming.

Taste - sweet, grainy, and yeasty at first. The banana flavors play nicely off the sweetness. The swallow brings in the clove and spices. A fruity finish with a twang of sour as things wind down.

Mouthfeel - smoothness adds to the body while the crispness gives it a little lighter feel.

Drinkability - Austin's lucky to have this awesome session beer as a local tap. I'm pretty fortunate to try this while in town. Thanks to BGThang for this special treat.

06-23-2008 02:45:37 | More by brewdlyhooked13
Med

4.43/5  rDev +1.1%

Thanks to thickerfreakness for giving me the chance to try this.

The hand bottle seems to have held up well in it's travel and a half inch pure white head sits on a slightly cloudy dark straw yellow beer. the head doesn't last long, and leaves only a little lacing.
Lots of spices in the nose, with cloves being the most noticeable. Some slight breadcrust yeast and a good amount of banana with just a hint of orange rind.
The taste is bold with a huge interplay of banana and clove and some other spices below. There is also a touch of bitterness that I didn't expect but plays nicely.
Wow. The body is surprisingly full and silky. Carbonation is lively with very small bubbles that tickle the tongue.
Great beer. I'm impressed to have a quality hefe out of Texas! I can only imagine how this must be fresh out of the tap.

06-22-2008 21:41:28 | More by Med
RblWthACoz

4.88/5  rDev +11.4%

I'm not sure if giving a thank you to Ballewblake for this is good enough for getting to try this beer. But hey. I did let the dude sleep on my couch when he visited NYC.

Pours a fully clouded orange with a white-ish head. Nose is a nice balance of banana and cloves. I'm not going to sit here and talk about the finer points and complexities of the flavor. It's smooth. It's damn smooth. It's smooth beyond description really. Sure there is the citric tones. The banana. The spices. The blah blee blah. To me this is just one that I don't really want to overly ponder. I just want to drink it. Until about 2027. Feel is extremely smooth on liquid and carbonation. This is one of the best beers I've ever had as far as drinkability. If I had everyday access to this, I would drink it non-stop. So well balanced.

This is a prime example of the skill that American brewers have progressed to. Do what you must to try this beer, but make sure you get it. It's pretty amazing stuff.

06-21-2008 07:03:42 | More by RblWthACoz
grub

Ontario (Canada)

4.2/5  rDev -4.1%

Viggo was nice enough to share this one. it's been forgotten in my fridge for about 7 weeks now, but doesn't seem to have suffered much.

22oz hand-bottled sample. reviewed as a growler. sampled june 14/08.

pours hazy golden yellow with a small very fine white head. the head drops fairly fast and leaves spotty lace behind.

aroma is great. very fresh and vibrant. slightly floral. light clove. banana. light caramel. white bread. bit of cracker.

taste is good. light clove and coriander. banana. hint of caramel. cracker and white bread. hint of alcohol. touch of floral character.

mouthfeel is good. very fine well integrated medium-low carbonation level. nice light body.

drinkability is great. nice balance. very enjoyable, perfect for a saturday afternoon on the patio. eric says this doesn't seem quite as fresh as the other bottle he got and drank at the end of april, but it seems damn fine to me. going to leave this one on my wants and revisit it later.

06-20-2008 20:20:18 | More by grub
SPLITGRIN

Kentucky

4.55/5  rDev +3.9%

A rare and tasty thanks to Deniz(JDV).

Poured from a growler into my Duvel glass. A solid foamy two fingers of off white head forms and has solid retention. Leaves some scattered lace. Body is a honey golden wheat in color. Nose has a complex mix of silky wheat, honeysuckle, orange zest and maybe soft hops. As you take first sip the smooth almost glazing silkyness is amazing. Inner orange skin and anise are up front but signs of fuzzy spice are all oner the middle of the palate. Clean and refreshing while being so unique and complex throughout. An almost flowery mouthfeel is left after the dusty spice profile. The drinkability of this brew couldnt be any better.

06-20-2008 00:03:51 | More by SPLITGRIN
Gueuzedude

Arizona

4.65/5  rDev +6.2%

A softish pour produces an almost one finger thick, pale, tan tinged head that sits on top of a deeply hazy, straw colored beer. When held up directly to the light it picks up some orange tints, but is still completely opaque. The aroma is quite hearty, lots of yeast notes from, surprise - surprise, actual yeast as well as ample clove notes, a hint of banana and lots of wheat / grain aromas. This last supplies some wheat-tartness, aromas of crushed saltine crackers and a rich, chewy, crushed grain aroma. The tartness accentuates a touch of fruitiness reminiscent of something like a cross between a pear and tropical fruit. This is just very hearty smelling for a HefeWeizen & quite enjoyable, the depth of the grain character is quite nice.

Not as thick as I was expecting based on the rich aromas, instead it has a nice light texture & heft to it like a good HefeWeizen should. I was half expecting / dreading that this was going to be overly under-attenuated, I am quite happy it is not. Perceived sweet notes linger on the palate with a mix of clove and banana notes. Soft and creamy, yet with a prickly carbonation, this beer has a certain viscousness to it that coats the palate, but does not keep this from being light and quaffable. Lightly tart, which accentuates a very soft fruitiness, but mostly plays up the chewy wheat flavors. This has lots of grain character to it; chewy, slightly dried-grass like, a bit of hay, a full wheat grain flavor and a crushed cracker note. The finish has a mix of clove flavors, light hop bitterness and a slight, herbal hop flavor.

As the beer warms a bit the banana flavors become a bit more accented & this accentuates an up front, grain sweetness. This is eminently quaffable; there is just enough sweetness to accentuate some soft fruit, clove and grain character. Really it is the fresh grain character that makes this beer so tasty; I can't remember having a HefeWeizen that tasted fresher and the vibrant grain character is what is driving this vibrancy. This only gets tastier and more well balanced as it warms up. I am towards the end of my 22oz serving and am finding myself wishing for more; the banana is definitely much more noticeable than the clove that was more noticed at the cooler temps, but it is still not overly much. This is a damn tasty HefeWeizen, a style that I have forgotten how good it can actually be if done correctly; this is certainly one of the finest examples that I have had, my guess is that they use a Decoction mash; there is almost no better way to get such a vibrant grain character into a beer. Fantastic!

06-19-2008 23:37:53 | More by Gueuzedude
BgThang

4.8/5  rDev +9.6%

A - Hazy darker yellow straw in color. Thick bone white with excellent retention

S - Cloves, banana, spices, honey, maybe a smidge of lemon

T - Wheaty like chewing on some fresh bread, with spicey clove and banana coming in but not overdone. Excellent HEFE.

Mouthfeel - If you are sweating your ass off or in the mood for some refreshing beer this is the one. Smooth and enjoyable

This beer gets alot of hype on here and I think its well deserving of it. Everyone should try this beer.

06-14-2008 22:40:13 | More by BgThang
ckeegan04

4.7/5  rDev +7.3%

A - Hazy golden yellow in color. Thick white head with excellent retention but very little lacing.

S - Cloves an a hint of lemon. Yeasty smell as well, a little bit of banana.

T - Wheaty flavor with banana and a nice spice. Excellent tasting hefe.

M/D - Incredibly smooth but still full of flavor. The most drinkable hefeweizen I have ever had.

Belive the hype.

06-13-2008 14:42:38 | More by ckeegan04
tpd975

4.45/5  rDev +1.6%

A BIG thanks goes out to hopsleeroy for sending a growler of this bad boy to the state of Florida.

A: Pour a bright straw yellow color. This beer is so bright you would think you could see thru it but you can't. There is a tinge of haze murking it up a bit. Even from a growler pour it built a nice two finger head and left no lace.

S: Nice wheaty aromas with hints of light spices like clove. There is some banana hidden beneath along with big league chew bubblegum.

T: Wow fairly light in taste, but in a good way. The wheat really stands out here. It is very wheaty and biscuity. The banana and clove come in in the middle and a hint of bubblegum sweetness rounds this one out. The combination of flavors though light blend together perfectly to make a really nice tasting brew.

M: Light in body with a crisp somewhat dry finish.

D: So enjoyable on a hot summer day, which today just happens to be. I really enjoyed the beer and look forward to landing a couple of the hand bottled bombers going around on the trading forum.

06-10-2008 18:09:55 | More by tpd975
TheBCrew

4.72/5  rDev +7.8%

Had this on tap at the Ginger Man in Austin. Pours a hazy, cloudy yellow with a big fluffy white head. Head dissipates slowly leaving lots of lacing. Usually I tend to avoid American hefes because they can't compete with the Germans - typically there's way too much banana in the smell and taste. Not here however, as they've found the perfect balance for that banana clove aroma combination with a slight yeastyness in the back of the nose. The taste is equally exceptional, holding up to some of the best of the German examples. Nice light touch with the banana and clove again, clean malt backbone and a balanced touch of hop bitterness. Mouthfeel is light to moderate, leading to good drinkability. Very refreshing on a hot Texas day.

05-29-2008 13:51:41 | More by TheBCrew
HopDerek

4.53/5  rDev +3.4%

Hand bottled by thickerfreakness, thanks for the hook up!

Pours a hazy yellow with orange tint, big white head has good retention and leaves nice lacing. Smells of straw, clove, banana, lemon, and yeast. Tastes of wheat, spices, and banana up front followed by yeast and lemon with a piney, grass-like dry hop finish. Medium light in body, smooth and spicy with a great crisp finish. Very refreshing and very easy to drink, one of the best Hefes I've ever had.

05-14-2008 22:15:05 | More by HopDerek
alexgash

Connecticut

4.25/5  rDev -3%

Growler shared with knight84 (thanks!).

Pours a glowing hazy orange peach with a small, but sticky, gauzy white head. Nose of sweet wheat bread, mild bananas, some cloves, a hint of bubblegum, and a sprig of spicy herbal noble hops. Very good smelling hefe.

Soft wheat malt of bready sweetness and tangy yeast. Restrained bubblegum and banana flavors. A little clove. Spicy noble hop finish. Medium-bodied with a soft, proteiny feel. Nice. Very drinkable and one of the best U.S.-made hefes I've had.

05-12-2008 03:11:25 | More by alexgash