Live Oak HefeWeizen - Live Oak Brewing Company

Live Oak HefeWeizenLive Oak HefeWeizen

Live Oak Brewing Company visit their website
Texas, United States

Hefeweizen |  5.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-07-2003)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Live Oak HefeWeizen Alström Bros
4.22/5  rDev -3.9%

Thanks go to Bill for this awesome swingtop from the growler he got. Poured into a Narrangansett pint glass.

A: Cloudy, hazy, off-yellow color. Pours with a great amount of carbonation for having been in transit - twice.

S: Clove, smoked wood, and Belgian yeast. Fresh baked Irish soda bread.

T: Wheat and grain take the front of the pack, followed by sundried dates.

M: Small bubbles and thin-bodied.

D: The best feature of this beer. Goes down like water - but you wouldn't want to do that; it's a beer to savor.

Overall, this is not a style I usually drink but this one was enjoyable.

4.65/5  rDev +5.9%

Crazy delicious. This is one of those bittersweet trades - very happy for the taste but I'll want more soon (thanks SatansLH via reddit). Live Oak's Hefeweizen is definitely my new favorite American hefeweizen and possibly my favorite overall (sorry, Weihenstephan).

Pours a color right between a banana and an orange. It's quite hazy with a big white head, just right for the style (and a relief to see coming out of a growler).

The aroma is a mouthwatering blend of bananas and clove. It's a sweet smell, chock full of yeast and wheat notes. It tends more toward the banana/bubblegum side of things than the spice, but the spice is definitely present. It smells like the batter of a spiced banana bread. There are some light lemony aromas floating around, as well. Just sublime.

The flavor is moderately sweet, a bit drier than some, though. The yeast did just the right amount of work on this beer. It's a bit lighter than other hefeweizens that I've tried, but it works for the beer. Live Oak should be commended for packing this much flavor into 4.1% abv.

The mouthfeel is nice and creamy. Lots of gentle little bubbles, even from a growler. It's incredible drinkable. One of the best session beers that I've ever tried. This is delicious beer.

4.43/5  rDev +0.9%

64oz growler (with the most outrageously thorough taping job of a growler cap I've ever seen - a full roll job - well done!) received in trade with brandoneast. Thanks a ton for this one Brandon! Poured into a gold rimmed Los Gatos Brewing weissbeer glass (love this glass).

A - Growler opened with a nice whoosh of carbonation - definitely a good sign. A small finger of white foam forms on top of the beer and fades slowly to a skim coat and a nice collar of foam. As expected the beer is a nice well hazed from wheat and yeast pale yellow orange color. Perfect for a Hefeweizen. Would like to see a bit more head out of a wheat beer, but given its a growler and the travels cross country, definitely still nice.

S - Smell is full of wheat with some nice light spiciness. I'm getting cloves, some hefty bubblegum, a bit of cinnamon, some oranges, nutmeg and a light lemony aroma too. Quite a complex aroma in a Hefe...definitely not disappointed in this at all.

T - Ahhh, this beer says summer to me. I'm drinking this indoors at night, but it feels like I should be on the back deck enjoying a warm summer breeze with this one. A nice full but light feeling wheat background - can really taste the wheat in here - light, cereal-like component. On top of the wheat is a spicy combination of flavors. Cloves are strong in the profile, but these still fall behind the bubblegum base. Light citrusy lemon on the fringes of the flavors and maybe a bit of orange in there too. Also, as in the aroma, I'm getting some light cinnamon in the flavor. Really nice example of a Hefe...as good or better than most German examples (and I've had quite a few in Germany and at home) of the style.

M - Medium bodied overall, maybe a bit chewier than most Hefeweizens out there...but somehow still doesn't feel heavy. Carbonation is fine bubbled, but full and tingly.

D - I'm really impressed with this beer. The wheatiness of this beer is unreal. Never had another Hefe or other wheat based beer that succeeded so well getting across the wheat character. Most of the time it fades totally into the spicy aspects of the flavor. This really has a nice cereal-like wheat flavor that sits firmly at the base. Spicy flavors are not lost here either as expected in a true Hefe. This is complex - grainy, spicy with lively carbonation. A perfect beer for summer...a close second for me for summer beer behind the Bruery Hottenroth, but if I had access, this would be in my fridge constantly.

4.35/5  rDev -0.9%

Huge thanks to Hayesz for sending this over.

Poured from a growler into my tasting glass, multiple times. The growler leaked a bit before arriving to me, but there was still a pop/fizz when I unscrewed the cap.

A - Pours a hazy orangish/yellowish color with a finger width of frothy head when poured vigorously. Noticeable bubbles on the side of the glass, and minimal lacing left.

S - Nice smell. I get wheat, lemon, citrus fruits, beligian yeast, banana, and cloves.

T - Light banana, heavy on the cloves mix nicely with the wheat. Some citrus fruits are mixed in, and there is a nice spice on the finish.

M - Very light body mixed with mild carbonation. Maybe some of the body was lost in shipping? not sure...though it is a hef.

D - I could drink a lot of this. It's very good. The glass went down easy, and I'd love to have this on tap.

4.03/5  rDev -8.2%

Thick dark creamy unfiltered uncanny looking hefe.

Deep clove aromas, hints of bubblegum and banana, yeast earthy banana leaves and hints of cocoa bean.

Clovey, hints of banana, but yeast n clove dominate only a slight bubblegummy. Good creamy with nice carbonation.

4.55/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Growler thanks to xpimptastikx.

A: Nice pale golden body. Cloudy as all hell. Large fluffy white head with decent retention. Spotty, but thick lacing left behind.

S: Upon cracking open the growler I got a huge blast of banana. Could smell it from arm's length. Upon pouring wheat, light clove, and crisp lemony zest came through. Very inviting.

T: Like the nose this has four key elements going strong... banana, wheat, lemon, and clove. About half-way through the second glass I started to get a little bubble gum.

M: Simply exceptional. One of my complaints about hefes, is from time to time they don't have as much body as I'd like them to have. Sure they are refreshing, but a little bit more weight can be a great thing. The live oak hefe is a perfect example of this. Nice, solidly medium bodied. Even carbonation throughout. Refreshing finish.

D: A really great beer that I've been looking to try for a while now. So glad to get a growler to share with the lady on a nice warm spring evening. Will be seeking out again.

4.35/5  rDev -0.9%

So I haven't reviewed many hefeweizens on here. Several years ago, I went through a summer trying every different wheat beer I could get my hands on. Tough to beat in those ridiculously hot and humid Hoosier evenings. Rumor on the street is that this guy ranks up there with the best of them. Hadn't had the chance to try it until just recently. Took the wife and kids on a road trip to Corpus Christi to visit my sister-in-law. We were heading through Austin, so figured I had to stop in somewhere to give it a shot. We stopped at a small place just off of I-35 (literally, right off the interstate) called "Whip-In." They had the Live Oak series on tap, and do growler fills as well. So I left the wife and kids in the car as I headed in to have a pint.

Poured by James into a ridged 20 ounce imperial pint glass. Very thick and cloudy tawny yellow; this is a very murky beer. Even held up to the light, little comes through the middle. A thick nearly perfectly white head is perched on top and very slowly diminishes. Quite a bit is left at the bottom of my glass when finished...of course, I put this one away in about five minutes. Thick lacing is left in rings, documenting each drink I took.

I was disappointed with the intensity of the aroma of the Live Oak Hefeweizen. It smells good, but is surprisingly mild. Very wheaty and yeasty with the tell-tale bananas found in the style. Also a prevalent smell of cloves and a bit of sweetness. Great smell, but I had to dig for it.

The taste of this beer certainly trumps the smell. Good, thick, and full-bodied, there is quite a bit of flavor packed into my glass. The graininess is right out front, leading a very well crafted brew. The bananas and sweet clove follow closely behind culminating in a very crisp finish...surprisingly clean compared to many hefeweizens. At first I wasn't sure if this was a good thing or a bad thing. There really was very little lingering taste at the finish. I guess in the end, I'd like there to be a bit more at the finish, but it sure makes for the most drinkable hefeweizen I can think of. I finished my pint in about five minutes and ordered a growler for the road. I finished that off tonight and was just as impressed with the brew as I was last night. On our way back to Indiana I'll certainly Whip In and pick up a couple more growlers.

Overall, I was very impressed with the Live Oak. An outstandingly full hefeweizen that works perfectly for a day at the beach. Extremely easy to drink. I look forward to cracking open the refills!

Consumed: 04/06/10

4.38/5  rDev -0.2%

Appearance: Isn't this what a hef is supposed to look like? Murky, cloudy, can't see through the glass, picturesque. Three fingers of very soft lingering foam with everlasting lacing.

Smell: wheat malt, banana, clove.

Taste: wheat malt, banana, clove, nutmeg, lemon. Very refreshing.

Mouthfeel: what you would expect from a good hef, the head lends itself to a nice creaminess.

Drinkability: perfect for a hot summer day. A delicious example of a well crafted hef. One of the unsung heroes of the Texas beer world. Best American Hef I have had.

4.43/5  rDev +0.9%

On-tap at the Flying Saucer, Ft. Worth

Served in a large Weizen glass, this unfiltered ale is a cloudy golden orange with a big white head. Has a very aromatic yeasty musty (in a good way) smell. Taste is very traditional Hefeweizen. Very smooth and rich clove and banana flavors throughout. Mouthfeel is super velvety, low carbonation. Drinkability is fantastic. Low alcohol and tremendous flavor. Highly recommended. The best Hefeweizen I have had.

4.13/5  rDev -5.9%

Wow this had a lot going on in the growler. It had a lots of live action with the hops. Very cloudy beer but a fantatic yellow. Pours a nice beer from the growler provided. This beer tasted as advertised, so nice and not to missed.

Great job from Live Oak a must have !!!!

4.3/5  rDev -2.1%

Big thanks to icetraxx for splitting this one with me and thanks to stopbarking for shipping this sucker up to Michigan!

Appearance: Poured out of the growler with a big, fluffy three finger head. This stuff was so hazy you couldn't even see through it. The color was a yellowish-orange with some almost tan like hues. The head left some fat globs of lacing towards the top of the glass, but faded to a cap over the duration.

Smell: The dominant smell here is straight up wheat malt. It's backed by the usual Hefeweizen suspects. Bubblegum, clove and a hint of banana. Oddly enough I swear there is a tinge of coriander in here, but it could just be the strong, spicy wheat malt messing with me. There was also a slight kick of sour in the background that was akin to a Berliner Weiss. This is a beer you want to keep smelling, the only negative is that it isn't all that strong.

Taste: This is pretty straight forward stuff, it's not overly complex, but in this case that doesn't bother me in the least. Again the wheat malt presence is strong, stronger than I'm used to from a Hefeweizen. It's reminiscent of an American Pale Wheat. The beer as a whole almost seems like a fusion of the two styles. On most occasions I'd probably knock a beer down for that, but it works here. All the fruity esters are present from the smell. The bubblegum is quite strong with the clove and banana being fairly subdued. This is easily the best American take on the style I've had.

Mouthfeel: The body was a solid medium, perhaps even verging on full. The carbonation was perfect and it was exceptionally creamy.

Drinkability: I had two full half liter Weihenstephaner glasses of this stuff and I could have gone for two more. This beer straddles a line for me. I could either sip on one for an hour enjoying it or knock back a couple without thinking much of it. It's simple, but highly enjoyable at the same time.

Overall it's a very good beer and as I've already mentioned by far the best American made Hefeweizen. If it was bottled and distributed in Michigan it would be a regular in my fridge. I still think the Germans do a better job with the stylel as a whole though.

3.95/5  rDev -10%

thanks to Phoenix2443!

pours murkey yellow and orange, quick fizzy head that quickly disappears. light retention. color is perfect, head could be better (thats what she said)

lots of banana and clove up front. light wheat and hints of lemon.

mostly yeast and malts up front. the cloves and banana kick in and stick out through the finish. light citrus hops here and there.

light to moderate carbonation. body feels a bit thin which brings this down a notch. very smooth though.

pretty easy to drink, nice blend of flavors, nothing too dominant, low ABV, = good.

4.75/5  rDev +8.2%

A - It pours an orangey-peachy hue, pretty straight-up for the style; not so much head but that is likely from jostling the growler too much.

S - Way good aromas. Lots of banana nut bread, and the wild earthiness of a nice Saison, too.

T - The smell is exceptional; it is totally within the range of the traditionl Hefe, but it has an edge. I can't quite ascertain what that edge is, but it has a very dynamic flavor combination going on. Suggestions of banana and and a nutty-bready nuance, per usual, but additionally there is a slightly sour hay funk. Just a phenomenal Hefe, worthy of the hype.

M - Muy Buena. Wait, that's Texican; against BA rules, oui? I've had better mouthfeel from some of the traditional German Hefes, but this one tastes so good. And it could be that the growler-ing hurt the feel.

D - Seek this one out. It is outstanding.

4.53/5  rDev +3.2%

A: cloudy orange color with lots of haze and almost no head

S: orange, caramel, wheat, yeast, pepper, banana, clove, and so much more, all on the first couple smells. Excellent.

T: bubble gum, wheat, orange on first taste. Yeast, clove, lemon zest and banana are more subtle, but definitely there.

M: relatively thick. Moderate carbonation. Very good body.

D: excellent flavors and low abv make this ultimately drinkable.

4.83/5  rDev +10%

I drank this on tap into a pint glass.

The beer pours a deep murky gold with two fingers of white head. Good retention, leaving a soaopy head, ok lacing.

The aroma is strong with clove dominating in a wonderful with a light honey finish, nice sweetness to balance.

The taste is super smooth starting out a little sweet with a great clove finish.

The feel is great, with a nice sweet lasting finish.

Easy drinker.

Overall, this was a great treat. By far the best hefe I've ever had. Search out this treat.

4.47/5  rDev +1.8%

Growler, courtesy of Phoenix2443, into a Duvel tulip.

A: Fully hazed orange-gold body with a full inch of off-white head, despite over a week (and a couple thousand miles) between now and when the growler was filled. So-so retention and light lace. Not bad at all.

S: This one's a straight-up banana bomb, with the toasty malts underneath leading to a distinct banana bread aroma. Only the lightest hint of clove spice, and not really any bubblegum. Just a little one-sided, but still hugely appealing.

T: Good balance of fruity esters and bready malt here, with the banana from the nose still holding on to its dominant spot. Overall it's really quite delicate for a hefe, but still pretty flavorful for the low ABV. The slightly spicy aftertaste is simply lovely.

M: The body's a little thin and the carbonation is a little sharp, but neither is a real problem for me. Pretty much what I expect for the style. The fact that there still is so much carbonation in a shipped growler earns it an extra half-point.

D: This category is where this beer really shines: I don't care what Ding says, this is a classic American session beer, the extra .10% be damned. I can imagine that this is a definite favorite during hot Texas summers.

Notes: Big thanks to Phoenix2443 for hooking me up with this. It did not disappoint at all, even though I think NG Dancing Man maintains its position as my all-time favorite hefe. This one puts a lot of Germans to shame, though, and is a worthy brew indeed.

Cheers!

4.18/5  rDev -4.8%

Tnx to gtreid for sharing this with me at the CCB Hunahpu release!

Poured into a snifter.

A- A murky gold color. Very little head with no lacing.

S- Banannas and wheat. Maybe some pears and honey thrown in the mix.

T- A little of everything that I got from the nose, with the bananna being the most prevelant.

M- very thin with a good level of carbonation.

D- I could drink it all night/day long. Very easy drinking beer FO SHO!

4.22/5  rDev -3.9%

Growler courtesy of GregSVT. Thanks again, Greg!

A: Pours a dark lemon slash very pale copper with a very nice white head and a good amount of lacing as it goes down.

S: All of the requisite hefeweizen scents are there, although the bubblegum and clove take the front seat. Good balance between everything that's going on, and a bit more intense than the typical hefeweizen.

T: The bubblegum flavor is the most intense, with a bit of clove spice coming through. Not too much banana in this one.

M: Light-medium body with good carbonation.

D: Very, very nice indeed. A good beer to sit around with all day long. I wish I had regular access.

4.1/5  rDev -6.6%

Growler, thanks to Phoenix2443. Shared at the CCB Hunahpu release. Poured into my Stone IRS tulip.

A: Cloudy, straw, yellow color. The pour drops a small finger of white head that does not retain well. It's just a touch flat, I don't think this was a counter pressure fill.

A: Big banana and fruit esters. Sweet malts, wheat, and an earthy hoppiness lead to a small oak aroma as well.

T: Same as the nose. Earthy, bannana, pear, and a clove finish. I think the bannana could have been toned down a bit, but style wise, it is right on par. Crisp and clean finish.

M: Light to medium body, low levels of carbonation, probably due to the growler fill.

D and overall impression: I could drink quite a lot of this brew. It would be just what I would reach for on a hot summer afternoon. Overall, I really liked this beer. If the bannana was just a little less, I think this could've been close to excellent, but because of that, it's just very good. Would have again, but only through a proper growler fill or on tap. Skal.

4.28/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A-pours a glowing golden yellow colored beer with a beautiful unfiltered looking haze. The head is pure white, bubbly, and slightly thin

S-the nose is quite big and brings nice golden fruits and a light funky yeast. Golden pears and banana are most prominent, a light peach as well, with a little clove spiciness balancing out the fruity sweetness. A light touch of yeast keeps this true to the style

T-the taste is slightly spicier than the nose. The spice is present up front, clove and a touch of pepper, the fruits set in towards the middle, pear and banana with hints of soft peach. The spiciness and a light touch of tart funk bring in the finish.

M-the body is a little larger than I thought it would be, medium to light with a certain level of syrup to it. It has some prickly carbonation on top of a very smooth palate finishing on the dry side; but not overly dry by an means

D-this is so easy to drink, big flavors and right on point. So low in alcohol to match a nice level of complexity with a solid mixture of spice and sweet soft fruits. Great Brew!!!

4.73/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On tap at The Ginger Man in Austin. Ratings are relative to the style.

A: beautiful, hazy gold with one finger of creamy white head. Moderate amounts of foamy lace on the glass. Gorgeous!

S: citrus, banana, wheat, creamy malt. If each ingredient were a tad more forward this would be a 5.0. The aroma invites you to take a sip...

T: lemon-citrus up front, turns creamy & malty with delicious wheat flavor showing itself strongly by the drink's end. Hints of banana linger after you swallow, temping you to taste again. This is among the best hefs I've ever tasted.

M: nearly full-bodied and unexpectedly creamy! Medium carbonation with a mild sting on your tongue as it lingers. Can't imagine anything better in this dept.

D: far too easy to drink. Goes down easily and is quite refreshing. I can't see myself ever not being in the mood for one of these. The ultimate session hef.

The only other hefeweizen I'd consider on par with this is the Augustiner Hefeweizen. Last I had it was before my days on BA, and unfortunately they don't ship that particular brew to the USA. Would love to compare them in a single sitting someday. But until then, I'm content crowning this brew Best Of Style.

4.58/5  rDev +4.3%

Obtained a growler finally of this beer from xpimptastikx. Thanks man. I have been wanting this beer.

Pours a cloudy deep orange color. Exactly what a good German Weizen should look like. Head dissapated fast though and no lacing but that's probably because of the growler and long trip.

Aroma is awesome. Lots of clove but a little bit of banana. I usually like more banana.

Tastes exactly as it smells With more clove than banana. A little more viscous than a Weheinstephaner (the best IMO) but awesome. Low carb but that's probably because of the growler being a week old. Overall an awesome beer. Glad I got to grab a growler of this.

4.03/5  rDev -8.2%

Tried at the Flying Saucer Beer Emporium in houston, tx. Poured into tulip.

Hazy golden color, not my preferred beer style, but tasted of yellow banana, with a good head pour. Its light, too light for me, hops are low, mostly wheaty and grainy feel and texture. It made the top 100 list, Im sure I could understand if I had more respect for the wheat beers. Not yet, not yet.

3.95/5  rDev -10%

Thanks to Alcstradamus for letting me sample this beer. Poured from growler into snifter.

A- Pours a hazy gold with about a half finger's worth of head. Not much in terms of lacing left on the side of the glass.

S- Pretty standard for the style, clove, banana, some candy sugar but the banana smell is a little more dominant that other hefe's.

T- Banana is right at the forefront with some yeast in there to go along with the sugar. Also there is the normal clove and really not much else.

M- Medium bodied that is right on par with the style. Good carbonation and an overall smoothness.

D- A good tasting beer that has a low ABV makes this a good candidate for a session beer. I think that the banana is a little more overpowering that in a normal hefe.

4.05/5  rDev -7.7%

Seems pretty dark for a hefe'....pours with a nice two finger head and some effervescent bubbles.

The smell is a tad mustier than I prefer, but everything underneath that layer of must is excellent. Obviously the usual clove/yeast/yadda yadda yadda...a very nice pink bubble gum aroma becomes prominent after some swirling opens it up a bit.

The taste also has a bit of crayon/must in the forefront which is a bit of a turnoff. Underneath is a nice layer of yeast and banana peel, but surprisingly not a lot of other complexities. I know we all talk of "expectations" and how they can be a killer, and I think that may be the case here with me. I am enjoying this beer enough that my glass is disappearing with the speed of a Bud Light, but for some reason it just isn't wowing me.

Mouthfeel is very nice...medium bodied with soft carbonation. Pretty much spot on for how I want the style to feel.

Drinkability is off the charts, as mentioned by the previous Bud Light reference (tongue in cheek). I don't feel like this contends with some of the others at the top of the style, and not even with the best American Hefe' (Dancing Man Wheat), but nonetheless it is a very fine beer that only suffers from one real fault.

Live Oak HefeWeizen from Live Oak Brewing Company