Live Oak HefeWeizen - Live Oak Brewing Company

Live Oak HefeWeizenLive Oak HefeWeizen

Live Oak Brewing Company visit their website
Texas, United States

Hefeweizen |  5.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-07-2003)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Live Oak HefeWeizen Alström Bros
4.63/5  rDev +5.5%

Got this one recently in a trade with JDV. Thanks!
There was a solid pffft when I opened the growler - always a good sign. It poured into an Erdinger Weissbier glass with about an inch of rocky, bright white foam that was pretty sticky and left solid sheets of finer bubbles clinging to the glass. Head retention was good. The beer was cloudy and gold, just as you would expect. Bright, spicy aroma of cloves hit my nose first, with banana a close second. Lighter notes of bread and lemon were present, as well as a hint of bubblegum. Citrus was more prominent in the flavour, lemon zesty, but there was still plenty of banana. Cloves were less aggressive and melded very nicely with the sweet fruity character. A bit of bubblegum and very mild bitterness lying underneath it all. Very creamy body, buttery texture, with solid carbonation that wasn't aggressive. Superb, full mouthfeel for the style. And talk about drinkable... it's no problem putting a few of these away. This is by far the best hefeweizen I've had from a US brewery - it certainly deserves any hype it gets. If this was available in my area, it would definitely be a regular pint for me.

DrJay, Feb 19, 2008
4.63/5  rDev +5.5%

This is one damn fine hefeweizen. Right up there or possibly even better than the best German versions. Pours a cloudy yet glowing straw color with a thick beige head. The nose has wheat malt, cirtus fruits and a collection of herbs and spices. Like the nose the taste has a big profile of herbs and fruits to add to the bready malts. Delicious. Creamy body goes down superbly. Fantastic.

rye726, Oct 14, 2008
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On-tap at Flying Saucer in Addison. Quality has been spotty there lately so my review may be hurt by that factor. Received in a pint glass instead of a weizen glass with no lemon. It was a nice solid hazy yellow color. Not sure how long it had sat before being delivered but still had a good head that slowly settled to a thin film. Had a ton of carbonation as well. The aroma was awesome. Tons of overripe banana, cloves and malt. Could smell this one all day. One of the best hefe smells out there. The taste was outstanding as well but had a little bit of an off quality at the end. I think that is due more to the bar quality issues and not the beer itself so didn't ding the score as much. Would love to try this again at another bar to compare. Overall, this would be in my heavy rotation if available in bottles or at a closer bar. Highly recommend. (4.5, HR, T, Y)

TexIndy, Jun 25, 2007
4.6/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Much thanks to ballewblake for knocking this off my list

A: Hazy light orange with a large white head. Great retention. Plenty of carbonation. Very pretty

S: Excellent. Bready, lemon, orange, mild clove and banana. Great balance and VERY refreshing. As it warms up, the banana grows in prominence.

T: Opens up bready with a pleasing tart twang. Definitely lemony mid palate, very refreshing with a great bread-like flavor. I know "fresh" isn't the best flavor description, but that's what I feel. Dry finish. Uniquely juicy with the combination of bready and lemon flavors lending this beer a unique character

M: A bit bigger than light, this beer is very crisp and the drying, tart finish is very refreshing

D: Insane. I'd have this on tap at home if I lived in the area

DefenCorps, May 21, 2009
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured with a golden color, nice fluffy head, and had opaque body. Smells of banana, some citrus fruits, and a small hint of vanilla. The taste was a nice change from most hefeweizens I've tasted, the different fruits used in a unique blend. I especially enjoyed the small hint of vanilla. Very drinkable beer, easily sessionable and overall a joy to drink.

fjordhook, Jan 31, 2010

On draught at Gingerman in Ausitn:
A - cloudy, creamy yellow with tight foam
S - classic banana, clove with a little bubble gum and green apple
T - more banana, clove
M/D - nice effervescence and a creamy pleasant mouthfeel. Excellent drinkability. Great example of the style.

redraider2323, Dec 03, 2010
4.6/5  rDev +4.8%

Sampled on draft, Ginger Man, Dallas. I've heard a fair amount of criticism of American-made hefes. Live Oak Hefeweizen will make a skeptic believe that American breweries can nail this style. Cloudy, tarnished gold in appearance with a scattered white head. Aroma is clean with some lemon and notes of banana. Banana, clove, pepper, vanilla/bubblegum are found amid the tart wheat flavor. Very complex, sophisticated & understated. Medium-bodied, moderately carbonated and creamy-smooth. Balanced with a clean finish. A MUST try. I'm not certain what the brewer could do to make this beer any better.

Bdc, Aug 24, 2005
4.58/5  rDev +4.3%

Had courtesy of ChuggyMcBeer, mbudner, and TempsPerdu - thanks!

Pours an opaque yellow-orange color with a foamy one-finger white head. The head recedes into a patchy layer on top leaving decent lacing.

Smells of bananas - and lots of them - with good amounts of clove and a small amount of herbal hop aromas.

Tastes very good. Banana flavors hit right off the bat, but are not as intense as the smell would indicate, leaving plenty of room for the wheat to shine through. Midway through the sip slight grassy flavors accompany cloves and all of these flavors carry on through to a slightly bitter finish.

Mouthfeel is great. It's got a creamy thickness with solid carbonation.

Drinkability is great. I had absolutely no problem finishing my glass and could probably handle a growler of this.

Overall this lived up to the hype. It's a bit heavier than traditional hefe's, but the level of banana and clove flavor does not suffer because of it. Definitely worth a shot.

glid02, May 11, 2009
4.58/5  rDev +4.3%

Thanks to csmiley for sharing the hand bottled bomber.

Appearance: It pours a very hazy, light straw color. Cloudiness cannot be understated. There's a few small pieces of sediment swimming around, but they're small and mostly insignificant. Head is about a finger and a half deep and foamy white in color. Retention was definitely on the shorter side and left a spotty coat of lace lining the glass.

Smell: Spicy notes of clove and very light orange peel greet the nose first. The spiciness is apparent, but dialed in just right. Not too strong. Banana scent makes an impression and adds a nice element to it. There's definitely a grainy, earthy fragrance to it. There's a faint sweet smell that emerges. It's indistinct, but perhaps a little fruity. Truly an exceptional smelling Hefe.

Taste: Clove and banana flavors are readily apparent up front. Orange peel and perhaps some other light spicy elements that blend well. It's very grainy and earthy which is typical for the style. It is a little sweet toward the end. I really can't quite put my finger on the sweet flavor. Suffice it to say it's a nice touch. Though it's not overly complex, this is really a fine tasting beer. Easily the best tasting Hefe I've encountered.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability: It's light bodied and very smooth. It's really well done. Generally, beers with such a light feel don't have a creamy feel quite like this. I'd go so far as to say it's damn near silky. If it were a little thicker, a "5" would be warranted for feel. Drinkability is high given its smooth, light feel. I'm clueless as to what the abv is, but it's not apparent in taste or smell. I'm close to awarding a "5" for drinkability, but Hefes aren't one of my favorite styles. I could tackle a number of these with ease, but I'd probably move on to an IPA after a while. Just my preference. I can only take so much clove.

Live Oak's clearly set the bar for Hefes with this one. I was a little apprehensive about how well it'd hold up being hand bottled, but it seems in great shape. Carbonation seems to have held up really well. But, I haven't tried it fresh so could be wrong there. All in all, fantastic beer. Thanks, Chris.

prototypic, Jul 06, 2008
4.58/5  rDev +4.3%

Obtained a growler finally of this beer from xpimptastikx. Thanks man. I have been wanting this beer.

Pours a cloudy deep orange color. Exactly what a good German Weizen should look like. Head dissapated fast though and no lacing but that's probably because of the growler and long trip.

Aroma is awesome. Lots of clove but a little bit of banana. I usually like more banana.

Tastes exactly as it smells With more clove than banana. A little more viscous than a Weheinstephaner (the best IMO) but awesome. Low carb but that's probably because of the growler being a week old. Overall an awesome beer. Glad I got to grab a growler of this.

PeprSprYoFace, Mar 08, 2010
4.58/5  rDev +4.3%

Big thanks to JDV for this growler

a - pours a bright golden color, very cloudy with lots of suspended sediment, one-finger dense white head with little retention or lacing

s - classic hefe aroma, big banana and cloves scents, lemon accents, wheat malt, no alcohol

t - banana and clove up front overwhelms the palate as it warms (a little hollow when cold), midpalate has more banana with lemon zest, finish has a mixture of clove spiciness and lemon along with a lingering bubblegum flavor, no alcohol

m - medium-bodied, moderate carbonation, well-balanced finish, not overly sweet or dry

d - incredibly drinkable, easy on the palate and the alcohol is undetectable

Great hefe overall...definitely right there, if not better than my previous favorite, Weihenstephaner. I'd love to try this fresh on tap, but it would be hard to beat this growler. I will note that the beer became much better after warming up a little...it was a bit hollow on the midpalate and finish just out of the fridge.

WeisGuy, Apr 26, 2008
4.58/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A: Bright golden color, semi filtered. Nice even lace.

S: A soft smooth dose of banana bread, cloves and faint fruitiness, classic hefe without being overwhelming

T: Best hefe I've had, and I spent 3 years in Germany! (Of course, that has been a long time ago...) ... all the classic required flavors (banana, bread, light sweetness, clove-spice) are here and it's extremely clean. Very drinkable and refreshing.

M: Medium body with a crisp clean finish

Overall, an excellent Hefe, Just what you need in 110 degree summers!

Keith_O, Mar 28, 2014
4.58/5  rDev +4.3%

Big thanks to BgThang for sending this my way.

Has a cloudy, opaque body with a finger thick head. Great looking, however I use to hefes having such a big head that I felt this was lacking, but that is all it was lacking.

Smell and taste is big on yeast, grains, and spices. Benchmark hefe as far as the balance of banana and clove. Not overpowering, not under utilized, just right. A great blend of earthy grains and an almost citric quality round it out. Feel is crisp and smooth at the same time. Great warm weather beer, light enough to drink when hot out, but not thin.

I would drink this over and over again. I feel out of love with hefes for a while, this is starting to bring me back.

Homerbag, Jul 04, 2008
4.58/5  rDev +4.3%

On tap the Flying Saucer in Austin, courtesy of a very generous ride from MiguelMandingo. Thanks Mike.

A: Pours a cloudy body the color of grapefruit juice. I _love_ cloudy bodies in hefs. A finger of off-white head recedes into a light film on the brew, and leaves some streaks down the glass. I'd love some more suds, but it's hard to complain about the immensely milky body.

S: Straw/grain, cloves, banana, pears, bubblegum, and light yeast. Balanced.

T: Follows the nose very well. A straw-grain flavor, reminding me at times of hay and crackers, with some clove bite up front. Banana and pear are restrained at first, but as the beer warms, they really open up and give the beer a nice roundedness. Bubblegum underneath with light yeast in the finish. A crisp ending that accentuates the tartness, but there is a lightly lingering earthy hop bitterness that I didn't pick up on in the smell or main flavor. What's nice is that the beer is remarkably tasty without having any one flavor dominate; it is balanced and flows over the tongue with ease.

M: Light-bodied, medium-high carbonation. Crisp without being too biting. The finish is slightly dry, which works very well with the crispness.

D: Not the absolute best hef I have ever had -- I still give that honor to New Glarus -- but this is a great example of the style.

Arbitrator, Sep 15, 2009

On tap at the GingerMan in Austin

Aroma: Mild overall aroma, some citric (might have been the lemon they insist on serving it with- I yanked it, but added it late in the glass), banana, and a hint of clove.

Appearance: Murky, completely opaque with a yellow ochre/apricot glass and a frothy white head that gave solid lace and creamy tidemarks. It does look like a yeast culture, but it really works for me visually.

Flavor: Yeasty! Fresh banana flavor (rather than the ‘Belgian banana I’m used to) same hint of clove which is a nice balance between the classic Hefe flavors, fruity with a light tangy almost lime note in the finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-Heavy body, viscous texture, light chew and firm, almost heavy carbonation.

Overall Impression: Adding the lemon late in the glass really didn’t change much in the beer to me. There are enough fruit flavors naturally occurring. A very tasty glass of beer! It’s a perfect refreshing thirst quencher for a hot Austin day. I’m not sure it’s worth ALL the hype it’s getting (currently #18), but I’m proud this is a Texan beer! Strongly recommended!

HardTarget, Jul 24, 2005
4.58/5  rDev +4.3%

Poured from a growler into a tulip. Big thanks to SSW117 for this one; thanks Sam!

a - Pours a murky orange golden color with one inch of white head and light carbonation evident.

s - Smells of bananas, spices, cloves, and wheat.

t - Tastes of spices, bananas, cloves, wheat, and grain.

m - Light body and light carbonation. Very easy to drink; I feel like I could drink this whole growler by myself.

d - While this isn't my favorite style, this is a very good beer. It smelt and tasted very good and the mouthfeel was great. Very drinkable and something I would love to have again sometime. If I could get this on tap normally I would probably start every session with a glass.

mdfb79, Oct 23, 2010
4.58/5  rDev +4.3%

A huge thanks to my good buddy Curtis for sending me this growler. Shared with some hooligans last weekend.

The appearance is a hazy, straw yellow color with a thick, white head that leaves ample lacing on the glass. The head hangs out indefinitely. So far, so good.

The aroma brings a good bit of banana and wheat.

This beer is extremely well balanced, and goes down effortlessly. What a perfect warm weather beer. The feel is smooth, light (without seeming thin), and creamy. Without question, this is the best American brewed hefeweizen I have ever had. Superb.

Huhzubendah, May 27, 2011
4.56/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A-pours to a yellow haze with a white head
S-smell of banana and cloves hits you right away
T-the taste is similar to the smell expect with some wheat
M-light body and a smooth thru and thru
This a great hefeweizen especially for a Austin's summers.

reebtaerG, Nov 25, 2013
4.55/5  rDev +3.6%

Pours a hazy golden color with a medium creamy head that settles down quickly. Smells of banana, clove, and bubblegum, with a touch of lemon. Taste is the same, with a touch of citrus hops. Great, creamy mouthfeel with decent carbonation. I'm not usually a fan of hefes, and when I do drink them, I usually stick with the German classics. However, this one is exceptional, and could be my favorite domestic version that I've ever had. Either way, it is a must-try if you are visiting Texas.

timmah427, Sep 09, 2008
4.55/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

A rare and tasty thanks to Deniz(JDV).

Poured from a growler into my Duvel glass. A solid foamy two fingers of off white head forms and has solid retention. Leaves some scattered lace. Body is a honey golden wheat in color. Nose has a complex mix of silky wheat, honeysuckle, orange zest and maybe soft hops. As you take first sip the smooth almost glazing silkyness is amazing. Inner orange skin and anise are up front but signs of fuzzy spice are all oner the middle of the palate. Clean and refreshing while being so unique and complex throughout. An almost flowery mouthfeel is left after the dusty spice profile. The drinkability of this brew couldnt be any better.

SPLITGRIN, Jun 20, 2008
4.55/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Growler thanks to xpimptastikx.

A: Nice pale golden body. Cloudy as all hell. Large fluffy white head with decent retention. Spotty, but thick lacing left behind.

S: Upon cracking open the growler I got a huge blast of banana. Could smell it from arm's length. Upon pouring wheat, light clove, and crisp lemony zest came through. Very inviting.

T: Like the nose this has four key elements going strong... banana, wheat, lemon, and clove. About half-way through the second glass I started to get a little bubble gum.

M: Simply exceptional. One of my complaints about hefes, is from time to time they don't have as much body as I'd like them to have. Sure they are refreshing, but a little bit more weight can be a great thing. The live oak hefe is a perfect example of this. Nice, solidly medium bodied. Even carbonation throughout. Refreshing finish.

D: A really great beer that I've been looking to try for a while now. So glad to get a growler to share with the lady on a nice warm spring evening. Will be seeking out again.

callmemickey, Apr 24, 2010
4.54/5  rDev +3.4%

I have had this once before years ago from a growler. Being in Texas, I had to give this another go. On tap at the Ginger Man in Dallas.

(A)- Pours a hazy golden yellow/orange color. Some really good froth and lacing left behind in the glass.

(S)- Bright and vibrant lemon zest and biscuit - like clove. Bits of bubblegum and a very subtle banana as it warms.

(T)- Just like the smell. A lovely crisp lemon peel with dry biscuit-like yeast. Very mellow bubblegum and clove letting the fruit and yeast do the work.

(M)- Such a crisp and smooth tasting beer. It is perhaps a lighter representation of the style I have had, but not lacking flavor by any means.

(O)- Easily one of the best Hefe's in the world. So light, but crisp and flavorful. A keg of this in my house (if I could) would not last long at all. And from my past experience with this beer, fresh and on tap; there is so substitute.

*Original Review ___

Growler poured into a tulip. Crazy thanks to Beerwolf77 for sharing the wealth!

(A)- Pours a cloudy orange hue that produced a decent white head that dissipated after awhile. (3.5)

(S)- Lots of ripe banana with a really nice clove aroma. Minimal lemon, but crisp. Some awesome wheat notes. Kind of a rustic character to it. (4.5)

(T)- Crisp, with a mellow banana/lemon profile. Nice dry wheat aspect with a telltale bubblegum finish. (4)

(M)- A good carbonation level and balance. A nice crispness to it. Smooth & mellow. (4)

(D)- Definitely a solid Hefeweiss for sure. Smooth and easy drinking even for the style.(4.5)

sweemzander, Nov 08, 2010
4.53/5  rDev +3.2%

served on tap in a pint glass.

A - a great looking golden color with an off-white head

S - some citrus notes, but not overly strong.

T - a bit of a lemon flavor with some spices.

M - not too heavy on the tongue with a light carbonation.

D - this beer is incredibly easy to drink.

dill, Apr 09, 2008
4.53/5  rDev +3.2%

growler pour, thanks to Jason (Exiled) for another quality trade. served in a tall Franzi Weiss glass

A - pours over an inch of loose, bubbly and sudsy bright white foam. the beer is cloudy, pale gold in color.

S - bright and lively yeast: banana, citrus, green apples. lightly spiced with clove and cinnamon, some ginger on a bed of wheat and grains.

T - what sets this apart from just about every other Hefe I've had is the balance, instead of being fruit or spice heavy it starts out with some ripe bananas, apples, and citrus notes before turning to the other side. hints of cloves and spice dance upon wheat malt and biscuits, before a crisp and clean grainy finish.

M - body is on the lighter side of the style, with sharp and prickly yet not overdone carbonation. only missing that bit of creaminess you get from others, due to lack of body. finishes with strong lingering fruit, slightly dry and very clean.

D - without a doubt one of the most drinkable beers I've ever had. wonderful, full flavor yet light bodied and a very manageable ABV. this takes some will power to not chug down. great, yet unique example of a classic style. shame its so hard to get.

Stigs, Nov 03, 2010
4.53/5  rDev +3.2%

64 oz growler into several glasses. Thanks go to ffejherb for providing this.

Pours a hazy golden orange, with several billowy fingers of foamy bright-white head. Great looking frothy retention to this, which leaves a good amount of robust lacing behind. The aroma is sharp in the nose with crisp bready wheat character, with some bright citric tones of lemon and orange giving this a deep fruity edge. The yeast is just off the charts here for a Hefe, with bubblegum, a bit of ripened banana, and clove being very pronounced. All of the flavors involved meld to form a delicious smelling sharp tang in the nose.

The taste is once again very robust with banana and bubblegum flavors, while sweet bready wheat and lemon zest rolls across the tongue. Clove is a bit more subdued than it was in the aroma, adding some light zest that works well with the tartness of the citrus. The mouthfeel is light-medium bodied, with one of thee smoothest, creamiest, quenching, and all around easy drinking feels on a beer that I've ever had. This is one of those beers that I could put down a growler of in record time and not give one damn about sharing any of it. Just so freaking delicious and easy drinking, it should be a crime.

This is the second time I've reviewed this and I don't think that either of them really get across just how full flavored and easy this beer is. One day I'll get to try this on tap and then die a happy man.

Kegatron, Feb 12, 2010