Live Oak HefeWeizen - Live Oak Brewing Company

Hefeweizen |  5.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-07-2003

Reviews: 380 | Hads: 1,254
4.35/5  rDev -0.7%

Poured golden and opaque from a growler into a Weizen glass. Thanks LonghornBrewer!

Has all the normal hefeweizen aromas, only stronger. Lots of banana and cloves, with a citrus zest akin to what you would expect from squeezing a lemon into most other hefeweizens. Taste is lots of banana and spices, with more citrus.

Much fuller bodied than any other hefeweizen I have ever had. Not quite as refreshing or as drinkable, but excellent overall. If only it could be had in bottles or on tap locally.

4.15/5  rDev -5.3%

Yellowish cloudy gold color and smells very strongly of clove, even more so than most hefeweizens. Taste is big clove, bubble gummy, smooth and refreshing. For the style I can tell this is well done, very flavorful and a good beer all around, but I just don't care for the typical hefeweizen tastes. If you like them though, this is a great one to try.

4.97/5  rDev +13.5%

Thanks to geuzelover for making this one happen.

This beer pours a milky gold that fades from nearly a pasty brown to gold near the edges of my weizen glass. The head is a clean eggshell film that leaves behind a bit of drippy lace. There are a lot of bubbles rising up through the glass that can barely be discerned through the cloudiness.

Smells sweet and creamy with a touch of bubble gum, cream of wheat and a citrus-less orange juice (mostly sweet with little sting) and a dry pasty creaminess. Mmmm.

Tastes of whole milk, wheat dinner rolls, banana and a touch of butter with a spritz of lemon zest and coriander making for a dry, well rounded finish.

This one has a nice, thick, full mouthfeel that compliments the milky character. Although it's thick, its refreshingly clean.

Wow. An optimal beer for dinner. It gets even better when I stop thinking about it and just tip it back. This can go toe to toe with ANYTHING from Bavaria.

4.7/5  rDev +7.3%

Thanks JDV for the opportunity to try this one also my first growler ever. Might as well start of with one of the best

Growler poured into my Ayinger Weizen Glass produced a good two fingers worth of head that settled down to a nice layer of lace on top of a cloudy apricot colored body It is a gorgeous looking Hefeweizen I wouldn't believe that a growler would keep this much carbonation

Aromas on this one is striking as well, you get wonderful banana bread in a glass type smell (bananas, cloves, Bread dough) Bubblegum as well

Yes wheat banana bread in a glass flavors as well a nice citrus bite

Mouthfeel is exceptional a little heaver than I expected for a wheat beer, nice crisp carbonation on your tongue.

Great drinking Hefeweizen I'll repeat the statements made before me I cant believe it was this good coming from a growler. Thanks again to JDV on shipping it right. If you have the fortunes to get a growler I say go for it. My new favorite Hefeweizen

4.35/5  rDev -0.7%

Poured a hazy golden with a nice white head on top. The smell on this very nice-very citrus and spice but has a little medicianl quality to it. Taste is very spcy with the cloves hitting you upfront and the banan and bubble gum flavors coming strong after the spice. Finishes clean with more spice flavor and lemon like citrus. Feels very full in the mouth-not as thin as other hefeweizens. So drinkable especially on a hot Texas day.

I've had this beer many times as I live in Austin. I feel lucky to have it so available it. Going to the Live Oak brewery is a good time as Chip the owner/brewer feels very strongly about traditional flavors especially in his hefe. Great beer and great brewery!

4.52/5  rDev +3.2%

Arrived a few hours ago from BeerZach... thanks a bunch dude!

Pours a lovely apricot at center, amber gold around the edges, a nice fluffy off-white head thats subsides to a thin film, a bit of lacing but not too much. The aroma is exquisite. The clover and banana are as obvious as they are lovely, with hints of vanilla and bubblegum. Nothing too powerful or out of its place, just about right. Excellent.

The taste, even better. Whereas I like my hefe aroma to be a little subdued, the taste has to be full, as does the mouth, and this is is a pretty full hefe. The banana comes at you seemingly even before the glass comes to mouth, citric deliciousness spreading, floating, the yeast spiciness, the clove exploring the middle, a grainy wheat husk rounding through the bend as it finishes with a lingering banana and a slight drying mouth. The mostly full body is lightened every so slightly by a shifty carbonation.

I've always wanted to visit Austin, and now I have another reason to check it out some day. As for the Live Oak Hefe, its a great beer, I'd like to give it higher marks, but the mouth didn't quite stand up, and there wasn't much lacing. But still, an excellent beer. Writing wedding thank you notes just got a whole lot more pleasant. :)

4.38/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to geuzelover for the growler. Served in my 20oz New Glarus Weizen Glass. Gotta love the right glassware for a beer. I read the BJCP style guidelines for this beer right before the review so I'd be on the correct page.

A: Dark straw body. It is very opaque. There was a bit of a white head initially, around a quarter inch, but it fell quickly. I'll blame that on it being a growler. Carbonation is visible.

S: Clove and banana are very dominant in the aroma with some lemon and wheat rounding out the bouquet. The clove is really strong and it almost has a slight smoky character but I think that's just my mind trying to interpret the cloves.

T: The wheat was more subdued in the aroma, but it's right up front in the flavor. Likewise, the powerful clove presence isn't nearly as strong in the flavor but provides a little spice to the beer and comes on a bit stronger in the aftertaste. The banana is there as well but less in the flavor than in the aftertaste which has a strong banana character. All the flavors blend nicely to create a very smooth beer.

M: The amount of carbonation is pretty surprising for a growler. It works great for the style which should be pretty highly carbonated. Tastes pretty full bodied in the beginning and middle of the taste, but as it leads to the aftertaste the body seems lighter and finishes perfectly.

D: Damn fine hefe all around. Especially considering it was from a growler.

Poured into a crystal pilsner glass - Served at cellar temperature
Growler traded to me by gueuzelover - Big thanks, now lets rock

Appearance: This beer pours a quite cloudy yellow and orange color. I would call it golden. The head hits about an inch and a quarter and is white in color. The head is heavy and unforgiving, and leaves a long trail of lace behind. Swirling creates even more lace that doesn't go anywhere. A pattern remains stationary on the crystal sides. Very nice.

Smell: Spicy clove strikes first, with some banana and fresh licorice (the cherry flavored kind). This is great. A sweet floral aroma is there, ah yes, it's lavendar. Gingerbread, banana bread and almond oil. Quite complex. This could be one of the best smelling beers I've ever laid my nose into. It starts out sweet and spicy, but with further inspection there is some minty and herbal qualities to it.

Taste: Sweet banana bread. Wow, this is a pretty viscous beer for a Hefe! Clove is a definite flavor. Others include, almond, pecan, pale malt, lemon peel, and a sprinkle of fresh ground pepper. I can say that this one is surely complex. At first I thought this one might need more sugar, but as it warms I am able to taste the sugars. Moreover, I can actually appreciate the way the beer tastes since the sugar isn't at all cloying. Highly complex and flawless thusfar.

Mouthfeel: As stated above, I can't believe the body on this beer. The sight of the haze kind of clued me in to the viscousity, but I was still a little surprised. It is very coating in the mouth and has a perfect amount of sugar and spice. Alcohol is barely noticable.

Drinkability: I am blown away by this beer. It hits on all levels. It's such a shame that this couldn't be more widely available (please bottle it). My biggest dilemna is if I should give it all fives or not. But I can't really point out any flaws in it. Moreso, what's so impressive about this beer is that these low alcohol, drinkable beers prove difficult to perfect. What makes it better is that it's meant to be consumed in mass quantities, in the heat of summer. Most of the best beers on this site are well over 6% abv. My hat goes off to Live Oak for making such a spectacular beer. I am now disappointed that this will probably be my last taste of this delicious beer for awhile. Seek this out, it's worth the effort.

3.74/5  rDev -14.6%

The New Amsterdamm in Dallas have this on tap and won't be rotating it out any time soon ordering to the barman. This one stood up to some extending tasting and definitely passes the drinkability test. A light golden colour that has the expected haze of a hefe. Aromas of vanilla and clove dominant. Less of the banana ester is present, there is a slight medicinal aroma but it is not off putting to me. Great flavour, yeast and malt - no hop but present. Quite sweet but not cloying.

3.88/5  rDev -11.4%

Thanks to Franksnbeans for allowing me to taste this one:

Pours a murky, yellowy orange color with a thick and creamy white fluffy 2 inch plus head. Leaves a little bit of lacing along the sides. Smell is of banana, cloves, spices. Taste is heavy on banana, and some orange peel. Nice crisp carbonation with a little watery texture.

4.18/5  rDev -4.6%

Pours extremely cloudy gold with a big white rocky white head that dies quick. Smells of big clove, orange peel and banana bread. Taste is ripe banana, a little clove, minor metallic character and minor spice. Refreshing in the mouth and very drinkable. A great hefe for sure.

4.89/5  rDev +11.6%

Growler sent courtesy of BeerZack. Thanks again!

Pours a cloudy, pale orange...modest head of off-white froth clings to the sides of the glass. The aroma of orange peel & cloves explodes from the growler as soon as the screw-cap comes off...I think I'm in for a treat.

Ripe banana, oranges, lemon flavors are just superb. Cloves are abundant & delicious. The wheat just goes perfectly with the fruit & spices used here.
Flavors are all very strong & prominent, certainly the most flavorful hefe I can remember trying. I'm curious as to the abv of this..around 5-6% would be my guess. That being said, it is incredibly easy to drink and I know the bold flavors kept enticing me to take another sip as soon as I put the glass down.

A remarkable beer in many aspects. Very glad I was lucky enough to be able to try it. Who do I have to talk to at the brewery to get this stuff bottled??

4.8/5  rDev +9.6%

Got a glass only because of the rating on this website. I'm not a fan of Hefe styles. Presented a faded caramel cloudy liquid with a half finger clingy head. Smells ginger zing, banana, clove, yeast, and a touch of lemon.

Tastes reserved malt sweet with smaller players of clove and esters (banana and pear) that were well rounded into each other. Citrusy notes are lemon and oranges, which I think may be from hop flavoring. Hop bitter was not detected, but could be there amid the gentle clove. Malt in the finish, but the beer cleans from the palette quite nicely. Medium smooth body and md-strong carbonation. Immensely drinkable. A truely amazing example of the style.

4.22/5  rDev -3.7%

Pours a bright golden, hazy color with a thick, bright white head.

Spicy vanilla, clove and bananna aroma's.

Tastes of spice, vanilla, bananna and grain.

Mouthfeel is grainy, spicy and slightly crisp.

Very drinkable beer. Not one of my favorite styles but this one had a little something extra. I think the aroma and taste were a bit more complex than a lot of American Heff's that I've tried.

4.05/5  rDev -7.5%

Sought out and sampled at GABF due to its very high overall rating, which is unusual for a hefe.

Pours a pale dark yellow with a good long lasting head. Aroma displays strong vanilla, some spice, and light clove. Bright banana is more evident in the flavor. Body is solidly medium and perhaps a touch full for the style. Phenolics are obviously dominate, but their flavors are not as varied and blended as the greatest weissbeers are. Overall, a very nice hefeweizen, but I think not quite as good as some of the classic german versions like Weihenstephan.

4.27/5  rDev -2.5%

Got a couple growlers courtesy of chadspivey. Who would have guessed?

Pale yellow color with a slight haze. The head is about a half-inch thick lasting for a minute or so. Yeasty banana aroma, mildly sweet with a bit of clove-like spice in the mix.

The taste is lightly bready with more yeast and phenolic notes. The sweet banana sugars appear more toward the finish. Very mild but drinkable flavors. The carbonation was moderate, probably due to the growler effect. Light and creamy mouthfeel overall.

This beer was not exceptional but it was highly drinkable. I would love to have this available on draft anytime, especially in the summer. Well done...

4.92/5  rDev +12.3%

Thanks goes out to chadspivey for this exceptional brew.

Poured into a Ayinger glass a nice cloudy golden orange/yellow color, nice carbonation, nice three finger creamy white head which lasted a little while, then left some sticky lacing. The nose is malty, nice touch of yeast, spicey, cloves, and banannas. The taste is fabulous, mostly malts, wheat, yeast, cloves, and some banannas. Nice slightly dry finish. Medium body. Very drinkable, this is an exceptional Hefe, the best I've had to date, hands down. An excellent thirst quencher for a hot day in Utah. Highly recommended.

4.24/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

No limon, thank you. I had this one live at Ginger Man's.

High sweetness, nice tartness, creamy banana, wheaty goodness, medium-high fruit.

Pale straw / yellow / hint of orange. Nice haze. Mild head, poor retention.

Attack: crisp medium-high fruit, medium-high malt sweetness.
Mid: medium-high tartness and wheaty zest, creamy tart.
Finish: mildy dry and tart.
Low bitterness, mild malt. As it warms, yeasty flavors eminate and it gets sweeter.

High carbonation and medium body. Tart and numbing wheaty coolness.

Nice Hefe, pretty fresh and crisp.

4.62/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On-tap at Flying Saucer in Addison. Quality has been spotty there lately so my review may be hurt by that factor. Received in a pint glass instead of a weizen glass with no lemon. It was a nice solid hazy yellow color. Not sure how long it had sat before being delivered but still had a good head that slowly settled to a thin film. Had a ton of carbonation as well. The aroma was awesome. Tons of overripe banana, cloves and malt. Could smell this one all day. One of the best hefe smells out there. The taste was outstanding as well but had a little bit of an off quality at the end. I think that is due more to the bar quality issues and not the beer itself so didn't ding the score as much. Would love to try this again at another bar to compare. Overall, this would be in my heavy rotation if available in bottles or at a closer bar. Highly recommend. (4.5, HR, T, Y)

4.5/5  rDev +2.7%

Trade via Chadspivey - arrived slightly leaking but the product turned out just fine!

Poured into my Weihenstephaner Hefe Glass whilst camping on Memorial Day Weekend. A nice pour yields a huge head, just as a Hefe should be. The head recedes slowly down the glass as I eagerly await a sip. Aromas are nicely full of wheat and banana with a touch of the clove.

Tate moves right along with the nose but not so much banana and it gets a slightly tart and citric burst in there mingling with everything else. This is sheer heaven.

Very well done and went very well with a warm summer day. I could drink this all the time if it were available.

4.72/5  rDev +7.8%

Served in a proper weizen glass, pours a hazy pale gold color topped by a generous, chunky 3 fingers worth of head. Looks quite nice.

And smells even better. Good zesty lemon up front, then dominant clove abounds while a mild, powdery bubblegum scent lingers on the back end. Beautiful.

Thank goodness this isn't the banana-bomb I'd feared it may be. Clove-driven all the way with a wonderful wheat-y finish (while totally avoiding the cereal mash tendency many beers have). A gently sweet aftertaste (bubblegum again) lingers.

Mouthfeel is good and chewy although carbonation is a bit subdued (which may have more to do with the method of packaging and shipping). Drinkability is ridiculous and I want more. Oh, look! I have more! Simply outstanding and it is rare that I get this excited about a hefe as they tend to be on the low end of my favorite styles.

Huge thanks to chadspivey for the growler(s), you're a star.

3.8/5  rDev -13.2%

Thanks to Chadspivey for this growler. I appreciate the opportunity to sample a top 25 fresh from the tap!

A: Hazy blonde straw color with a sudsy pure white head. The body itself is very still and pristine.

S: Strong cloves, vanilla, nutmeg, powdered ginger, green banana peels and lemon custard.

T: Begins mineralistic and smooth with under ripe banana and some balanced spices. Little bit of vanilla, dried hay, white pepper and a touch of tropical flavors can be found. Perhaps some white grape lurking under the surface with corn pops, tang of lemon juice, . Finishes grainy and actually slightly cloying, not allowing the sweetness to leave the palate properly.

M: Medium body, low carbonation and full mouthfeel makes it silky.

D: Overall, the flavor wasn’t as strong as I’d hoped for. Seemed watery for the most part. This beer has very good balance going for it and quite drinkable. Killing this growler was no problem what so ever.

4.25/5  rDev -3%

Tangerine colored and hazy with about a finger of white head. Great retention and lots of sticky lace.

Strong classic banana and clove mix, but a good maltiness underneath. Think I caught a hint of cinnamon in there too. Other spices anyway. Slightly floral too.

Sweet and caramel malty. The flavor doesn't deviate far from the scent. Slightly acidic. Medium and smooth.

A good brew. Great to see a classic style done so well right here in Texas. I think I'd still take a Paulaner over it, but I've got no complaints with this brew.

Photo of
4.27/5  rDev -2.5%

On tap at the Flying Saucer in Addison, TX.

Hazy, yellow color. Small, creamy, white head.

Bananas, cloves and citrus. Bread dough.

Sweet more than bitter. Taste very similar to aroma. Bit of grainy wheat. Bubblegum?

Light in body. Carbonation seems low to medium. Very refreshing.

Not my favorite style, but this is an excellent example of how it should be done. A fantastic summer beer.

i finally tried this one, on tap.all in all its a good hefe but not quite as great as i was expecting considering its hype. its a bit more subdued that the top hefes with no one flavor really standing out; i guess one could argue that its just blended really well. not much of a smell either. its certainly a good drinkable hefe but not in the class of the weihenstephaner or ayinger hefe imo.

Live Oak HefeWeizen from Live Oak Brewing Company