2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Live Oak HefeWeizen - Live Oak Brewing Company

Live Oak HefeWeizenLive Oak HefeWeizen

Live Oak Brewing Company visit their website
Texas, United States

Hefeweizen |  5.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-07-2003)
View: Beers (17) |  Events
« first ‹ prev | 276-300 | 301-325 | 326-350  | next › last »
Ratings: 854 | Reviews: 350 | Show All Ratings:
akorsak

4.4/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A growler from a trade with chadspivey filled, as I understand, from a local tavern as Live Oak doesn't fill growlers.

A: The ale is a hazy, cloudy, hazy (did I mention hazy?) yellow color that is a few shades darker than standard yellow. The ale, as it pours from a growler, is thick and unfiltered, loooking almost like a big pulpy orange juice.

S: The aroma is wheat and some orange peel. It is very sweet with a subtle tartness.

T: The beer certainly adheres to the Americanized version of a hefe. The wheat is light and soft, providing a slightly sweet and tart flavor that builds on the malt base. The wheat body is enhanced by some spices and fruits, particularly a slight hint of clove and banana, some sugary bubblegum, a bit of sweet orange peel. The flavors are soft, never overpowering the mouth.

M: The mouthfeel is subtle. It lacks the strong estery flavors of, say, Weihenstephaner, but it brings a great deal to the table. The spices and wheat are well-paired together.

D: This growler is not going to survive the night. I recommend that you, the fellow beer drinker, find this beer. Or schedule a trip to Austin. Or beg an Austinian to trade with you. Anything. You won't regret it.

Serving type: growler

12-20-2006 00:22:48 | More by akorsak
AustinBeerLvr

4.4/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On my first review of this beer, I had it on tap at a local pub that didn't serve it at the correct temperature. Besides reviewing this beer at the correct temperature, I also want to take this opportunity to emphasize how important I learned tonight it is to serve a beer at the correct temperature.
Just like many people drink beers too cold, which of course masks the flavors of a truly good brew, drinking a beer such as a hefeweizen that is supposed to be a good refreshing wheat beer too warm isnot good either.

A: Very cloudy and a nice amount of body can be seen simply by glancing at this brew. Very impressed with the head retention as well.

S: A nice refreshing blend of bananna and wheat flavors along with a touch of vanilla.

T: Much like the smell, an awesome blend of all the flavors mentioned above. It starts off with a crisp, almost lager like crisp wheat flavor that quickly starts to blend with a nice bannana flavor and a touch of sweet vanilla that rounds things out and leaves just a little after taste.

M: From what I remember, this hefeweizen has the most body of any I have ever drank. This actually could take away a little bit from being a thirst quencher, but I think it's an awesome wheat beer as I love the substantial body this brew has.

D: Highly drinkable wheat beer. Best way to describe this brew is a freshly brewed Bavarian wheat beer with a little more body brewed and served fresh here in Austin, Texas. Just a reminder, make sure you tell the bartender you don't want a lemmon in your beer.

12-16-2006 06:00:31 | More by AustinBeerLvr
briman

4.47/5  rDev +2.1%

Served on-tap into standard pint glass.

Pours a hazy bright straw color. Maybe a quarter inch white head, average retention. Decent lacing.

Aroma has all the things you would expect. Cloves were most evident, with some wheat & banana notes, and even a touch of bubble gum.

Flavor was right on the money as well. Bready wheat, with some mild citrus notes mixed in. Bubble gum flavors start sneaking in towards the middle. Finish is clean, and refreshing.

Medium body, moderate carbonation. Near perfect balance, and maybe the best overall delivery of ALL the hefe flavors that I've had. Sometimes you don't get much of this or that, or maybe none at all....but this has a nice dose of everything you expect in a good hefe. Refreshing, great drinkability...easily session material.

08-31-2006 20:30:03 | More by briman
jmbranum

Oklahoma

4.75/5  rDev +8.4%

Hands down this is my favorite Heffeweizen. I've drank it for years (since the late 90's when I lived in Austin), but on this visit I thought I would give it an attempt an unbiased review.

Pint served with a slice of lemon (which really makes this beer shine)

Bright heffeweizen color (golden yellowish color, but brighter than say Boulevard's Heffeweizen). I really liked the color if this beer but on the negative there was almost no head.

The flavor is complex and satisfying. Some citrus notes (probably some of this is from the lemon) with faint banana notes (in the past, the banana notes were stronger I think). The wheat malt also definitely stands out. Also there are some faint spices (think a toned down version of the cloves of Aventinus)

The aroma is fantastic. It definitely grabs you from first whiff. Mouthfeel is good with a fair bit of natural carbonation.

An excellent beer for summer drinking.

07-29-2006 22:53:56 | More by jmbranum
goochpunch

4.5/5  rDev +2.7%

On tap at the Houston Flying Saucer.

Served to me in a pint glass with a way too thin head and a cloudy lemonade body. Very pretty, but the head was awful both times I had it. Smell is faintly fruity but with a larger presence of yeasty breadiness and wheaty graininess. Not as much banana or clove as I'd like. Fantastic flavor profile and nearly flawless, but there I can't help but feel as if it could be improved slightly. Needs a little more twang from the wheat, but all the requisite flavors are there and in good balance. Mouthfeel is everything I could want from a hefeweizen. Fluffy, some bite from the carbonation, and an overall smoothness which, in turn, makes this perfect in drinkability.

This Texas beer is definately the best American produced wheat beer I have ever had, and it even poses some challenge to some of the best from Bavaria.

06-29-2006 03:38:10 | More by goochpunch
jwff

Alaska

4.78/5  rDev +9.1%

Had this on tap at the Flying Saucer. Beautiful beautiful beautiful hefe. Golden, hazy, and swirling. Nice white head that laced on the way down. Smell was yeast and clove with some nice sweetness. Taste is incredible. A balanced mix of yeast, bubblegum, banana, and clove all standing out at different points in the mouth. Bits of lemon and orange edge out this masterpiece, and I got this without the lemon so it's all natural, baby. The wheat in the mouth really rolls over the tongue with a satisfying thickness. I could drink this all day.

05-25-2006 02:57:42 | More by jwff
beerdiablo

“Don’t look for Live Oak at 7-11 anytime soon” remarked brewer Chip McElroy when asked if his draught only offerings were going to be bottled.

Focus is a good thing.

Live Oak’s Hefeweizen is a state treasure and the ne plus ultra of Hefeweizens.
Appearance, Smell, Taste, Mouthfeel, Drinkability all score the highest marks one can rate a beer.

This is Live Oak’s flagship beer and their dedication to quality keeps paying off, as you can taste the spice and fruit flavors while enjoying the aroma like the best meal you’ve ever had.

Larry McMurtry was quoted as having said that “Only a rank degenerate would drive 1,500 miles across Texas without eating a chicken fried steak.”

I would say that only a rank degenerate would come to Texas and not have a Live Oak Hefeweizen.

11-15-2005 04:32:54 | More by beerdiablo
Rastacouere

Quebec (Canada)

4.43/5  rDev +1.1%

Vast creamy and rocky white head lasts forever over the murky, almost muddy golden veil. A tremendous yeast showdown, offering the doughiest flavours that belong on nothing but a pie, yet phenolic enough to be soapy and bandagey, cloves in abundance. On the other side of the spectrum, the malt sweetness is also important, vaguely reminding of honey, cotton candy. Huge bubble gum component, fluffy medium body. Oily texture, enough tartness to keep everyone happy. A splashy hefeweizen that showcases sheer yeast power.

11-08-2005 01:29:32 | More by Rastacouere
Morris729

Pours a cloudy bright golden sunrise color with a tall and frothy white head that slowly dissipates in segments leaving a thick and rocky lace behind that coats the walls of the glass with glistening spider webs. Nose is rich creamy banana, sweet bubblegum, fruity esters, and a bit of spicy clove. It has a very smooth and creamy texture that seems to be just perfect in the mouth. The taste, like the aroma, is rather bold in nature with juicy ripe banana, spicy clove, and vanilla followed by a bit of white pepper. Simply delicious. Drinkability approaches infinity. This is a truly magnificent beer.

11-04-2005 02:47:15 | More by Morris729
acoatley

4.9/5  rDev +11.9%

On tap crickets Waco

Sweet aroma is that bubble gum I detect mmmm yeasty beasty, tastes of a little clove but more banana. Nice lacy head. Etches out its own nitch and flavour without exitng the style guidlines. Hop flavor is very low to none. Cloudy but just right for the style. Golden straw in colour. excelent body.

10-29-2005 02:19:00 | More by acoatley
EPICAC

4.93/5  rDev +12.6%

Sampled on-tap at Cricket's in Waco, TX. Once without lemon, once with (though discarded quickly). Normally I'm not a huge fan of American Hefes, but this an exception.

Appearance: Golden, with almost a pearly opaque appearance from the yeast (looks like a mid-log phase culture). While it's not the most dense hefe in terms of yeast that I've ever seen, it's still up there.

Smell: The aroma is very strong. Strong notes of bubblegum, cloves and banana.

Taste: This is very complex, right up there with the German Hefes I've had. Notes of clove, citrus and banana, not too overpowering. My friends have said bubblegum, but I find that to be mostly on the nose.

Mouthfeel: Smooth and creamy, moderately carbonated.

Drinkability: A great beer to drink on hot summer days, or anytime for that matter. I'll probably have several more of these before I head back to Boston.

Overall: This is the first American Hefe that I've had that really nails the style. Probably one of my favorite hefes. I only wish I could get this in Boston.

10-01-2005 19:33:00 | More by EPICAC
Bdc

Oklahoma

4.6/5  rDev +5%

Sampled on draft, Ginger Man, Dallas. I've heard a fair amount of criticism of American-made hefes. Live Oak Hefeweizen will make a skeptic believe that American breweries can nail this style. Cloudy, tarnished gold in appearance with a scattered white head. Aroma is clean with some lemon and notes of banana. Banana, clove, pepper, vanilla/bubblegum are found amid the tart wheat flavor. Very complex, sophisticated & understated. Medium-bodied, moderately carbonated and creamy-smooth. Balanced with a clean finish. A MUST try. I'm not certain what the brewer could do to make this beer any better.

08-23-2005 23:55:07 | More by Bdc
Gaisgeil

4.83/5  rDev +10.3%

Honestly, I thought the Texas boys who reviewed this were skewing their numbers a bit on this one out of Texan pride, but seriously I'll confirm it, this is one serious Hefe! On tap @ the Ginger Man, Austin TX.

It doesn't get much better than this, especially from an upstart American brewer like this one, but this definatly ranks right up there with it's Bavarian counterparts.

Pours a bright gold in color with significant cloudiness. A nice one fingered white head accompanied with great retention. Nose was mouth watering, a wonderful balance of banana and clove, quite spicy, everything you expect from a great Hefe. Taste did not disappoint, following the strong profile in the nose. This is a powerful Hefe, reminds me of a dunkel in the taste department in some respects.

If I could get my hot little hands on this more often I'd sure as hell do it. C'mon Michigan brewers! Top this one!

Slàinte!

08-20-2005 20:53:31 | More by Gaisgeil
beerceller99

Louisiana

4.33/5  rDev -1.1%

On tap at the Addison Saucer. My wife actually ordered this to celebrate the Saucers Texas $2.50 pints sunday special. I tried the Liberation ale for starters.
LOH pours a cloudy pale color with a tight, white head with brown specks in it. Very pungent smell of spices, cloves, and citrus fruits.Big bodied with bubbly carbonation. The strong taste follows the smell with sweet tart wheat malts and a nice mesh of spices and citrus flavors. The finish is crisp and clean.

A very easy drinking, and very tasty beer here. Hefe's don't get much better than this.

08-16-2005 04:18:16 | More by beerceller99
pentathlete

4.1/5  rDev -6.4%

On-tap at the Flying Saucer in Addison. Served with a lemon wedge which I discarded. Also, served in a standard American pint glass.

Cloudy golden yellow with a 1/2 inch white head and very sticky lace. Nose full of wheat, mild banana, and lemon zest, very appetizing. Yet, the banana flavors were subdued. Things started off with a carbonic yeast and quickly moved to a somewhat wet lemony flavor. It was a bit much, hints of Pledge. Toward the end, the flavors mellowed and blended with some spice added to the mix, still not enough to recover from the lemon kick. Mouthfeel varied from a thin middle to a fine medium-full finish. An easy to drink beer that you should never refuse. If you are in TX, be sure to seek it out.

07-25-2005 12:51:29 | More by pentathlete
HardTarget

4.58/5  rDev +4.6%

On tap at the GingerMan in Austin

Aroma: Mild overall aroma, some citric (might have been the lemon they insist on serving it with- I yanked it, but added it late in the glass), banana, and a hint of clove.

Appearance: Murky, completely opaque with a yellow ochre/apricot glass and a frothy white head that gave solid lace and creamy tidemarks. It does look like a yeast culture, but it really works for me visually.

Flavor: Yeasty! Fresh banana flavor (rather than the ‘Belgian banana I’m used to) same hint of clove which is a nice balance between the classic Hefe flavors, fruity with a light tangy almost lime note in the finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-Heavy body, viscous texture, light chew and firm, almost heavy carbonation.

Overall Impression: Adding the lemon late in the glass really didn’t change much in the beer to me. There are enough fruit flavors naturally occurring. A very tasty glass of beer! It’s a perfect refreshing thirst quencher for a hot Austin day. I’m not sure it’s worth ALL the hype it’s getting (currently #18), but I’m proud this is a Texan beer! Strongly recommended!

07-24-2005 22:20:26 | More by HardTarget
francisweizen

Arizona

Believe Da Hype. Best HefeWeizen I have ever had. It even puts the German Originals to shame! Seriosuly. On-Tap *MANY* times at the gingerman in Austin, Texas. Light/ruddy golden yellow with a nice frothy head of white that lasts and leaves great German lacing. My glass is adorned with a lemon, wtf!? let's try this one sans lemon first. Aromas are all classic hefe. Banana, spicy yeast, clove, a bit of lemon, etc. Not overly complex nor bland. Just right in the middle and *perfect*. Taste follows through in a big way. Big brash wheaty hefe flavors of banana, cloves, citrus, and other spices just balance each other out into a bready, wheaty, yeasty masterpiece of drinkability. Mouthfeel is smooth just the right weight and perfect. Drinkability would be a 6 if I could rate it above 5. Just for the hell of it I drank this one with the lemon too, as it seems that's how all the locals drink it down here in the 100 degree Texas heat. All the lemon did was accentuate the citrus flavors already present in this awe-inspiring beer, and cut some of the grainy wheaty flavors that are awesome. It's amazing either way, you can't hurt this beer. This beer is the man. I don't even want to give it a 5, because I thought I would never, ever, give a hefe a 5! Hefes arent even my favorite style of brew anymore at all and they havent been for a while! It doesn't matter at all though, just like moonlights reality czech garnered a 5 rating from me as well, this beer is just the perfect example of this style. Hefe can not get any better than this and so it gets the big 5 from me. Just drink this whenever you get the chance. Drink it all up, because you will miss it when it is not available to you anymore. Sure the bar I drank a bunch of this in had about 80 other beers on tap. so what! Everytime I walked through the doors, I was pretty much ordereing 1,2,3, or more of these beauties...I was only in Texas for a few days, and by the time I left everyone knew this was "my beer". I wish it could be "my beer" here at home, but it can't be so i'll just be happy I got to quaff a bunch of this in the capital of Texas, and plan my next trip with a two day layover in Austin! Live Oak may not be the best brewery in the world, or even on the continent, or even in the country, or even in the state of Texas!, but as far as I am concerned they brew the best hefe in the world!

07-22-2005 19:59:45 | More by francisweizen
mschuman

4.63/5  rDev +5.7%

On tap at the Addison Saucer...

Wow, citursy, spicy, bananay, clovey!

Very impressed with this local offering. It had all the typical Hefe traits in spades! Just amazing how the various flavors balanced. Citrus leads off, then the spicy and fruit esters show. Really good stuff.

06-27-2005 16:26:33 | More by mschuman
kindestcut

I'd like to second my fellow Texas BAs in their plaudits for this stellar beer.

The Live Oak Hefe Weizen arrives at my table looking as perfect as a hefe can look. It's a shining, yet cloudy, gold...it has a vibrant white head...and it's highly carbonated.

The aromas are, as you could guess, typical of a true hefe weizen...bubblegum, cloves and the famous banana. I would add that the aroma is very strong, which is a little different from some German hefes I've had.

The flavor is just wonderful. The spiciness is not overpowering, which it shouldn't be. Instead it combines with a fruity sweetness. The aromas are also found in the taste. If I could invent such a meter, I'd say the balance found in the aroma is present in the taste as well. It's just great.

This is a wonderful beer, the finest to come from Texas.

06-14-2005 15:21:24 | More by kindestcut
dauss

Colorado

4.83/5  rDev +10.3%

Appearance: Fresh off a new keg. No head formation, which is odd for a wheat beer. On top of that, I could seriously pitch this beer into some wort and it would ferment. There was so much yeast in my beer that it looked like someone shook up a yeast vial and dumped it in.

Smell: Heavy banana with lots of sweet wheat malt. A subtle clove aroma lingers in the background.

Taste: full bodied with very strong and spicy clove phenols. Light banana esters and some yeast nuttiness.

Notes: Its very good. I like how the esters were heavy in the aroma and low in the taste while the phenols were low in the aroma and heavy in the taste. Very interesting and very good.

06-12-2005 16:33:38 | More by dauss
assurbanipaul

Damn. I hate giving perfect scores, makes me sound like a rank amateur cheerleading his Friday-night standard. But sorry, I must remain true to my standards and admit that this brew has earned my first ever straight all-fives. Overall, an absolutely flawless product.

Pours cloudy and golden. The aroma comes out to welcome you with esters all over along with faint yeast and bubble gum, a little cream butter as well.

The taste is thick, rich, bready with a buttery sweetness. The flavors are mild with banana, white pepper and cloves present in the background, not overpowering. Subtlety is the watchword and fresh is best. Texture is smooth and velvety with a moderately heavy mouthfeel.

Balance is what earns this brew a perfect score. I've had fresh hefeweizens with strong fruit and clove elements but this beer is so delicately made so as flavors come together in a symphony instead of individual components. Even as it warmed in a plastic cup, the flavors remained nuanced and complementary, never turning or tiring towards the inevitable warmer end. Nothing dominates, thus everything works. The palate never tires and I could drink this all day.

Cheers to BeerAngel for his tip on enjoying this fresh from the source. I owe him a beer for this new favorite of mine.

03-30-2004 05:58:52 | More by assurbanipaul
kbub6f

New keg on tap at The Dog & Duck, Austin. I've had this a few times around Austin, including the green keg at the brewery during the Austin April BA event (see Larry's and Rick's reviews). Brewer Chip McElroy says there are no immediate plans to bottle any of the Live Oak brews.

The beer is an opaque yellow-orange. It sort of looks like a mixture of orange juice and pineapple juice. Some fine natural carbonation snakes up the sides of the glass. With a conservative pour the head is small, white, coarse and dies to a thin ring pretty quickly. (An aggressive pour gives a huge head, but it still settles pretty quickly).

The nose is mostly citrus, with cloves and a banana inhale. Citrus and spice dominate the front. A tangy middle gives way to a somewhat dry finish highlighting corn, spice and a bready yeasty flavor. This beer is always absolutely delicious. Call me "infidel", but this is my all-time favorite Hefe.

07-04-2003 07:04:41 | More by kbub6f
Pegasus

Appearance: Cloudy medium golden color with a large white head, and substantial carbonation;
typical appearance for the style.

Aroma: Sweet aroma of ripe bananas, cloves, and bubble gum. The aroma was absolutely correct for the style, but substantially more pronounced than among most Hefeweizens.

Taste: Begins with sweet and spicy notes, which carry throughout the taste, as well as a strong backbone of wheat malt. Cloves and ripe bananas are most prominent, although there is a hint of bubble gum as well. Finishes as it began, sweet and spicy.

Mouth feel: Smooth and very creamy, just excellent.

Drinkability/notes: A truly superior Hefeweizen, in my opinion, as good or better than any of the many German examples of the style that I have enjoyed.

Sampled at the Texas Craft Brewer’s Festival on June 7th, 2003.

06-09-2003 18:36:47 | More by Pegasus
LarryKemp

I drank this beer during a tour of the brewery. We had free choice of all the beers that they brewed. After a taste of the others, I could not get enough of this beer. The beer was a perfect cloudy golden with a great head. We were told this beer was too green, but my oh my. The head unlocked a bouquet of fruity aroma. The bananas. The cloves. Almost too much to take in at one time. The taste was a match for the aroma. It was bold. It was in your face. It was just what I had come to love about German hefes. The mouthfeel was full and creamy and the bubbles played with my tongue. This is probably the best beer I have had since coming back from Germany in May 2002.

05-29-2003 19:27:02 | More by LarryKemp
BeerAngel

This is my 241st review and only my third perfect five. This is the epitome of the style as it poured a beautifully lightly cloudy caramel color with a massive light off-white head. The aromas of bananas, clove, and light wheat notes bellowed from this beer. The taste was a very creamy repeat of the aroma with a smoothness out of this world. This was a medium bodied beer and it drinks down with way too much ease! We were told that this batch was young, but how can it get any better?!?! Live Oak is a brewery that makes some quality brews! Cheers to this Texas brewery!

04-07-2003 19:48:19 | More by BeerAngel