1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Live Oak HefeWeizen - Live Oak Brewing Company

Live Oak HefeWeizenLive Oak HefeWeizen

Live Oak Brewing Company visit their website
Texas, United States

Hefeweizen |  5.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-07-2003)
View: Beers (17) |  Events
Ratings: 851 | Reviews: 350 | Show All Ratings:
SWMeyer4141

4.43/5  rDev +1.1%

Appearance-It's a hefeweizen. Yellowish/Orange hazy body with a foamy 1 finger head that leaves no lacing. Lots of unfiltered goodness floating.

Smell-Banana and Clove. Some breadiness as well along with some citrus. Pretty standard Hefe aroma with a little more balance and more pronounced.

Taste-Alot more citrus then expected, which I love. I get the Banana, Clove and Wheat but I a very nice lemony citrus note to it as well.

Mouthfeel-Good amount of carbonation, Medium bodied. Pretty smooth and well balanced. Nice creamy mouthfeel.

Overall-The ultimate summer session beer in my opnion. Extremely refreshing, extremely smooth, and tastes amazing. Even as it may warm in the hot summer sun it will still taste great...Only problem is you can't get this in bottles/cans. Drink this beer if you have the chance.

05-14-2011 13:14:02 | More by SWMeyer4141
JayAre46

4.68/5  rDev +6.8%

A - golden cloud haze, active carbonation 1 finger of fluffy head that receded pretty quickly leaving a thin ring around the edges...it's the color that stands out the most so far brilliant unfiltered awesomeness. This beer can be brought to optimal life with a good swirl. Doesn't have much lacing

A - helpful earthy spices, light floral notes and yes of course the amazing banana notes, it's smells amazing but is very subtle in a appropriate way that doesn't try to overpower to create a false and unnatural presence.

T - light touches of the similar earthy spices, hints of honey and vanilla then moving into a big wheat presence in the middle with a solid yeasty taste and then the banana bread is what I'm getting, a bit more sweet then expected but very refreshing. Ridiculously smooth

M - absolute epitome of creamy, full bodied and a smoothness that a lot of other hefs attempt. The carbonation is low and not prickly
on the palate. Very easy to put these away.

O - amazing hefe and always a must when the opportunity presents itself. From the appearance to the mouthfeel and in between this beer is simply awesome and should be consumed by all.

05-06-2011 03:29:18 | More by JayAre46
UTCengOwl

4.47/5  rDev +2.1%

Had this many, many times... figured that I should review it. Had this in a shaker pint during trivia at the Austin Flying Saucer. This was one of the better appearances the beer has had for me, IMO.

The beer is always a cloudy, hazy gold. The cap is a fluffy, pale white. However, the head died down quickly and needed to be roused to stay alive. Dirty Saucer glasses or not a great head? Probably some of both.

The nose is banananananana. It's not artificial or overpowering, but it's definitely dominant and long lasting. There might be some balancing spice in there or something, but let's just focus on the fantastic banana.

The taste is well balanced and complex. The mouthfeel is shockingly thick and creamy... but it still goes down quickly. The taste is somewhat banana, but it slowly melds into a sweet vanilla touch that wonderfully lingers. Dry and sweet at the same time. Viscous, but dry and drinkable. This beer is balance and a wonderful session in my glass. I'm never sad that I've ordered one of these... and I order it quite a bit. The Pride of Austin!

04-20-2011 05:43:26 | More by UTCengOwl
jamescain

4.8/5  rDev +9.6%

Poured into a pint glass at Draught house in Austin, TX

Appearance: It pours a cloudy yellow/orange with a fingers worth of fluffy white head. I was surprised the head retention was not what I expected, but that could have been because the beer was a little too cold. Never the less this is what I expect a Hefeweissen to look like.

Aroma: Very proportionate amounts of banana, clove, a little bit of bread, and a touch of citrus come wafting out of the glass on my first sniff. Some hefeweissens can be too heavy on these aromas, but this one is not.

Taste: Banana, spicy notes and a tinge of tartness from the wheat. Very balanced, no one taste stands out in an over powering way, they all work with each other, complimenting each other.

Mouthfeel: Refreshing. This is the perfect summer beer. It’s extremely bubbly and it tickles and dances on your tongue.

Overall: This is without a doubt a world class hefeweissen and the best I have ever had. I lived in Germany for 16 weeks and had my fair share of hefeweissens and this is the best one I have ever had, rivaled only be Weihenstephan, but they had a little bit of a head start on Live Oak. It’s a shame they don’t bottle so more people could experience this beer. I'm thankful to live in Texas and can enjoy this beer whenever I want.

04-19-2011 19:55:52 | More by jamescain
Fenris244

4.4/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Hazy orange in color, thin head, retention was ok. Very hazy just reiterate the haziness.

Smells of orange, banana peel and malts. Has a sweet but clean aroma very pleasant.

Light in flavor but quite complex, orange and orange peel flavors abound, good bitter hop character, balances nicely with the sweetness, great wheat sweetness on finish.

Light in body, crisp and light carbonation is nice, very drinkable and in the summer I'll by buying this by the growler!

02-14-2011 23:33:07 | More by Fenris244
LittleDon

4.15/5  rDev -5.3%

A pint served at Ruta Maya in a plastic cup.

Exactly like a hefe should look, haze golden, thick head with good retention. Good amount of carbonation. Lots of bananas in the aroma, with a bit of clove spiciness. Flavor is much the same, bananas, cloves, some maltiness, light on the hops. There is a fair amount of carbonation up front. Not my favorite style, but well done for the style nonetheless.

02-06-2011 01:51:47 | More by LittleDon
OakedCanuck

Washington

4.43/5  rDev +1.1%

had it on tap, came in a shaker

A - A foggy yellow with a nice 1 finger head. Sticky lacing

S/T - The smell and taste I put in the same category as they are basically the exact same. Nice banana and cloves with a semi-sweet backbone.

M - Decent mouthfeel, good and creamy. It was a bit 'biting' on the back palate but nothing major.

D - Best hefeweizen I have ever had. I get this stuff as much as possible. It deserves its high ranking.

02-01-2011 16:33:02 | More by OakedCanuck
EgadBananas

Louisiana

4.2/5  rDev -4.1%

Hazy golden orange on the pour. No head once it made it to me unfortunately.

Nice banana citrus, clove and honey aroma.

Taste is pretty much spot on with the aroma which is very good.

Crisp, clean, light, and smooth.

good drinkability. One of the most solid hefes I've had.

01-29-2011 01:03:26 | More by EgadBananas
bisonkron

A - cloudy, nice thick head, very inviting. golden colored.

S - had an assault of smells going on here, which is something I like, but it was hard to really hammer down the many smells, i picked out a mix of spices, some coriander, a little fruitiness.

T - very flavorful, which i appreciate, however, i felt it was off. perhaps it was the hype that let me down here. strong spices, a some light fruitiness.

M - light and crisp, but unpleasant after taste.

D - not great drink ability.

This beer did not do it for me, others who were with me who tasted it, had mixed feelings as well.

01-23-2011 04:50:46 | More by bisonkron
redraider2323

4.6/5  rDev +5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On draught at Gingerman in Ausitn:
A - cloudy, creamy yellow with tight foam
S - classic banana, clove with a little bubble gum and green apple
T - more banana, clove
M/D - nice effervescence and a creamy pleasant mouthfeel. Excellent drinkability. Great example of the style.

12-03-2010 05:20:42 | More by redraider2323
Brent

Kentucky

In Houston on business, I figured this would be my chance to give this a try. Staying on the outskirts of town, so I stopped at a very well stocked store - lots of TX beers, but no Live Oak. Cashier is well versed and tells me the brewery does not bottle. hmmm - Hefe in the too 100 is unusual enough, but one not distributed. I'm wondering if a little home team cheering might be at work. But undaunted I set off for the Flying Saucer to track it down, and glad I am. Perhaps the best hefe I've had, besting the German leaders. Perfect blend of malt and yeast flavors without too much banana or clove.

12-01-2010 19:41:04 | More by Brent
sweemzander

4.54/5  rDev +3.7%

I have had this once before years ago from a growler. Being in Texas, I had to give this another go. On tap at the Ginger Man in Dallas.

(A)- Pours a hazy golden yellow/orange color. Some really good froth and lacing left behind in the glass.

(S)- Bright and vibrant lemon zest and biscuit - like clove. Bits of bubblegum and a very subtle banana as it warms.

(T)- Just like the smell. A lovely crisp lemon peel with dry biscuit-like yeast. Very mellow bubblegum and clove letting the fruit and yeast do the work.

(M)- Such a crisp and smooth tasting beer. It is perhaps a lighter representation of the style I have had, but not lacking flavor by any means.

(O)- Easily one of the best Hefe's in the world. So light, but crisp and flavorful. A keg of this in my house (if I could) would not last long at all. And from my past experience with this beer, fresh and on tap; there is so substitute.

*Original Review ___

Growler poured into a tulip. Crazy thanks to Beerwolf77 for sharing the wealth!

(A)- Pours a cloudy orange hue that produced a decent white head that dissipated after awhile. (3.5)

(S)- Lots of ripe banana with a really nice clove aroma. Minimal lemon, but crisp. Some awesome wheat notes. Kind of a rustic character to it. (4.5)

(T)- Crisp, with a mellow banana/lemon profile. Nice dry wheat aspect with a telltale bubblegum finish. (4)

(M)- A good carbonation level and balance. A nice crispness to it. Smooth & mellow. (4)

(D)- Definitely a solid Hefeweiss for sure. Smooth and easy drinking even for the style.(4.5)

11-08-2010 18:19:54 | More by sweemzander
billab914

4.35/5  rDev -0.7%

On tap at the Austin Ginger man. It was a hazy, light orange/yellow color with a thin and spotty head to it. It left some moderate lacing as I drank it as well. A very nice looking beer for the style.

The aroma had a sweet wheat flavor along with banana, lemony citrus and a moderate clove spiciness. Very flavorful and well rounded Hefewiezen aroma.

I get lots of clove flavor throughout the beer. Lemony citrus and a nice banana flavor come through as well as a sweeter wheat malt flavor. Good but the clove flavor was a bit too overdone. Mine came served with a lemon the side. I drank half and made the notes above and then added the lemon. The lemon really softened the strong clove flavor I got without it and helped some of the bubblegum and citrus flavors stand out more. I'm not sure how the brewer intended it to be served but given where I had it I'll trust the way it was served.

The mouthfeel is Light with above avg carbonation. Drinkability is good, the clove was a little overpowering at first but it mellowed the more I drank. Otherwise it was a nicely flavored and easy drinking beer.

10-27-2010 17:44:47 | More by billab914
CampusCrew

4.1/5  rDev -6.4%

Had this on tap at the meddlesome moth in Dallas. I came to TX to try this beer and it was actually quite difficult to find. First place I saw it on tap was the moth. Poured cloudy golden color and had dominating banana aromas. It tastes like it smells as well. A banana bomb. I can understand why this beer is rated so high. It's a more flavorful hefe than the traditonal german ones. Not a huge hefe fan, but this was up there as the best.

09-13-2010 01:23:42 | More by CampusCrew
Fladder

1.9/5  rDev -56.6%

The beer poured well with the right cloudy color and a good amount of foam. It's smell was okay and fit the style: no strong flavors but with a little lemon.
The beer tasted strongly of bubblegum. It was sweet and artificially fruity. I could taste a bit of lemon, but the candy flavor (and I don't mean candy like the candy sugar flavors you get in Beglian ales) was potent and very unpleasant. It felt too thick to drink as well and wasn't refreshing. For the rest of the evening after this drink, I had no appetite for beer.

09-04-2010 08:11:53 | More by Fladder
htomsirveaux

4.53/5  rDev +3.4%

On tap at Crickets on 16 Jul 2010.

Served in a shaker pint. Small beige head quickly dissipates but a ring remains for most of the glass. Medium carbonation. Very cloudy light yellow brown. Lots of clove and banana in aroma. This carries over to the flavor, clove and green banana. Slight astringency in finish. Medium to heavy body. Light ethanol.

Great on a warm summer night.

07-17-2010 03:32:42 | More by htomsirveaux
TexasTowHead

4.45/5  rDev +1.6%

Poured from the tap into a pint glass.

A: Nice cloudy golden straw with a finger-width white head.

S: Super Bubble gum up front with some citrus and banana.

T: Slightly sweet with the bubble gum and banana off the bat, followed by hint of yeasty bread.

M: Light and smooth with the bare hint of creaminess.

D: I'd have to be cut off--could continue drinking this all day and night. This is really the area where it outshines other Hefes.

07-12-2010 03:16:00 | More by TexasTowHead
hayesez

Indiana

4.35/5  rDev -0.7%

So I haven't reviewed many hefeweizens on here. Several years ago, I went through a summer trying every different wheat beer I could get my hands on. Tough to beat in those ridiculously hot and humid Hoosier evenings. Rumor on the street is that this guy ranks up there with the best of them. Hadn't had the chance to try it until just recently. Took the wife and kids on a road trip to Corpus Christi to visit my sister-in-law. We were heading through Austin, so figured I had to stop in somewhere to give it a shot. We stopped at a small place just off of I-35 (literally, right off the interstate) called "Whip-In." They had the Live Oak series on tap, and do growler fills as well. So I left the wife and kids in the car as I headed in to have a pint.

Poured by James into a ridged 20 ounce imperial pint glass. Very thick and cloudy tawny yellow; this is a very murky beer. Even held up to the light, little comes through the middle. A thick nearly perfectly white head is perched on top and very slowly diminishes. Quite a bit is left at the bottom of my glass when finished...of course, I put this one away in about five minutes. Thick lacing is left in rings, documenting each drink I took.

I was disappointed with the intensity of the aroma of the Live Oak Hefeweizen. It smells good, but is surprisingly mild. Very wheaty and yeasty with the tell-tale bananas found in the style. Also a prevalent smell of cloves and a bit of sweetness. Great smell, but I had to dig for it.

The taste of this beer certainly trumps the smell. Good, thick, and full-bodied, there is quite a bit of flavor packed into my glass. The graininess is right out front, leading a very well crafted brew. The bananas and sweet clove follow closely behind culminating in a very crisp finish...surprisingly clean compared to many hefeweizens. At first I wasn't sure if this was a good thing or a bad thing. There really was very little lingering taste at the finish. I guess in the end, I'd like there to be a bit more at the finish, but it sure makes for the most drinkable hefeweizen I can think of. I finished my pint in about five minutes and ordered a growler for the road. I finished that off tonight and was just as impressed with the brew as I was last night. On our way back to Indiana I'll certainly Whip In and pick up a couple more growlers.

Overall, I was very impressed with the Live Oak. An outstandingly full hefeweizen that works perfectly for a day at the beach. Extremely easy to drink. I look forward to cracking open the refills!

Consumed: 04/06/10

04-12-2010 20:14:49 | More by hayesez
beersheppard

4.38/5  rDev 0%

Appearance: Isn't this what a hef is supposed to look like? Murky, cloudy, can't see through the glass, picturesque. Three fingers of very soft lingering foam with everlasting lacing.

Smell: wheat malt, banana, clove.

Taste: wheat malt, banana, clove, nutmeg, lemon. Very refreshing.

Mouthfeel: what you would expect from a good hef, the head lends itself to a nice creaminess.

Drinkability: perfect for a hot summer day. A delicious example of a well crafted hef. One of the unsung heroes of the Texas beer world. Best American Hef I have had.

04-12-2010 04:04:37 | More by beersheppard
tronester

Oklahoma

On-tap at the Flying Saucer, Ft. Worth

Served in a large Weizen glass, this unfiltered ale is a cloudy golden orange with a big white head. Has a very aromatic yeasty musty (in a good way) smell. Taste is very traditional Hefeweizen. Very smooth and rich clove and banana flavors throughout. Mouthfeel is super velvety, low carbonation. Drinkability is fantastic. Low alcohol and tremendous flavor. Highly recommended. The best Hefeweizen I have had.

04-09-2010 23:36:55 | More by tronester
jnn4v

4.53/5  rDev +3.4%

A: cloudy orange color with lots of haze and almost no head

S: orange, caramel, wheat, yeast, pepper, banana, clove, and so much more, all on the first couple smells. Excellent.

T: bubble gum, wheat, orange on first taste. Yeast, clove, lemon zest and banana are more subtle, but definitely there.

M: relatively thick. Moderate carbonation. Very good body.

D: excellent flavors and low abv make this ultimately drinkable.

03-25-2010 01:55:56 | More by jnn4v
jrallen34

4.83/5  rDev +10.3%

I drank this on tap into a pint glass.

The beer pours a deep murky gold with two fingers of white head. Good retention, leaving a soaopy head, ok lacing.

The aroma is strong with clove dominating in a wonderful with a light honey finish, nice sweetness to balance.

The taste is super smooth starting out a little sweet with a great clove finish.

The feel is great, with a nice sweet lasting finish.

Easy drinker.

Overall, this was a great treat. By far the best hefe I've ever had. Search out this treat.

03-21-2010 23:06:28 | More by jrallen34
brystmar

4.73/5  rDev +8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On tap at The Ginger Man in Austin. Ratings are relative to the style.

A: beautiful, hazy gold with one finger of creamy white head. Moderate amounts of foamy lace on the glass. Gorgeous!

S: citrus, banana, wheat, creamy malt. If each ingredient were a tad more forward this would be a 5.0. The aroma invites you to take a sip...

T: lemon-citrus up front, turns creamy & malty with delicious wheat flavor showing itself strongly by the drink's end. Hints of banana linger after you swallow, temping you to taste again. This is among the best hefs I've ever tasted.

M: nearly full-bodied and unexpectedly creamy! Medium carbonation with a mild sting on your tongue as it lingers. Can't imagine anything better in this dept.

D: far too easy to drink. Goes down easily and is quite refreshing. I can't see myself ever not being in the mood for one of these. The ultimate session hef.

The only other hefeweizen I'd consider on par with this is the Augustiner Hefeweizen. Last I had it was before my days on BA, and unfortunately they don't ship that particular brew to the USA. Would love to compare them in a single sitting someday. But until then, I'm content crowning this brew Best Of Style.

03-09-2010 04:46:05 | More by brystmar
randawakes

Alaska

4.03/5  rDev -8%

Tried at the Flying Saucer Beer Emporium in houston, tx. Poured into tulip.

Hazy golden color, not my preferred beer style, but tasted of yellow banana, with a good head pour. Its light, too light for me, hops are low, mostly wheaty and grainy feel and texture. It made the top 100 list, Im sure I could understand if I had more respect for the wheat beers. Not yet, not yet.

03-03-2010 01:33:24 | More by randawakes
GregSVT

4.97/5  rDev +13.5%

Draft at the Addison Flying Saucer

A: Pours a hazy yellow with a big white head that fades and leaves a good bit of lacing on the glass.

S: The nose is full of lots of banana, cloves, and wheat with a slight bubblegum aroma as well.

T: The taste is the best I've had in a hefe. Loads of banana, cloves, and bubblegum. The finish lasts for a while and is slightly spicey but mainly sweet and refreshing.

M: Really creamy and on the lower end of medium bodied.

D: I could drink this all the time if it wasn't available only on draft. World class hefe and highly recommended.

02-21-2010 07:20:08 | More by GregSVT