Join our email list →

Hefeweizen | 5.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-07-2003

Reviews: 386 | Hads: 1,290
4.71/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

A: A dark and cloudy golden/orange color. A two finger white head forms with good retention, and lace is left behind.
S: Huge citrus, tart lemon, banana, and peppery/clove aromas. Yeast, baked bread, husky wheat in spades. This is very pleasant and appealing to say the least.
T: Follows the nose nicely. The flavors are all very tart and sharp. That great hefeweizen yeast is oh so present. Plenty of citrus, banana, and clove again. Baked bread. Excellent.
M/D: Medium body and very dry and crisp. Smooth and creamy at the same time. Very refreshing. Incredibly easy to drink. Did I say this was smooth? I can session this all day long.

Probably the best American made hefe, and without a doubt the best beer made in Texas. This is a classic, and a review is not good enough to describe this beauty. Pretty much as good as it gets.

4.77/5  rDev +9.2%

A- Pour a nice cloudy golden yellow with a nice think bubbly white head. Leaves a nice white lacing that remained about the entire time.

S- Wonderful smell. Every time a smelled this brew I think I picked up something new. I would say pretty complex with everything from banana, clove, and wheat.

T- Once again this was incredible. Extremely smooth. Again I could taste some many different flavours here also. Amazing balance and just plain wonderful.

M- Maybe a little thick compared to most Hefe's but nothing wrong with it. This brew felt great maybe even a little grainy but was just plain awesome.

D- I was a little upset when I ran out of this brew. Couldn't get enough.

A HUGE thanks to JonathanL7890 for this one!

4.72/5  rDev +8%

64 ounce blank brown growler received in a trade a few hours ago from JonathanL7890, glad somebody was nice enough to fill this for you, thanks for giving me the opportunity to try this top twenty beer, split with a friend tonight, poured into my large Bell's stein

A-Golden yellow color with tints of orange, murky and cloudy, big one and a half inch foamy white head that stuck around for upwards of five minutes, nice retention and some lacing at the beginning

S-Lots of wheat, nice orange peel aroma, cloves, coriander, ginger, various other spices, tons of banana that never went away, more citrus, apricot, grains, barley, and bready malt scents

T-Started off with a subtle orange taste, some biscuit and bread in the middle, finishes with some lemon juice and other citrus zest, later I began tasting some spices in the finish that had a big clove flavor, wheat provided a nice chewiness along with the bready malt, as it warmed it only became slightly sweeter, I could drink this beer all day, finally tasted some banana towards the end with more spice in the aftertaste, changed over time but never got any worse as far as taste goes, much different when it is cold because of its crispness, prefer it at room temperature to get all the different fruity tastes, incredible balance between grainy flavors and fruitiness, so easy to drink and flavorful at the same time

M-Chewy and creamy mouthfeel, nice crisp level of carbonation, surprisingly medium to thick body, which was a first for a hefeweizen, heavy and aggressive, long lasting taste, not too sweet

D-Could drink two growlers in a sitting, okay that might be an exaggeration but you get the idea of how easy this stuff is to drink, not heavy at all, no alcohol present in the flavor, low ABV from what my body is telling me even though it is not stated here on the site, and would make a fantastic session beer

Drank five days after it was filled and still popped when I opened the lid, tasted as fresh as any other beer would be, amazing it held up so well, best hefeweizen I have ever had, highest drinkability out of any beer I have ever had as well, would love to have again in the future, maybe when I decide to visit Texas soon, highly recommended

4.9/5  rDev +12.1%

Ok, so I have been waiting to try this one forever. Much thanks goes out to JDV for hooking me up with a trade on this. Been waiting for a certain BA to get off his butt and meet me to split this one, and finally got around to it last night. In the great company of goindownsouth, his wife, and our favorite bartender Meg, we all split this growler with dinner. This was a really fun night.

Appearance - So this one poured out absolutely wonderfully, words cannot express how god this actually was, but I will do my best to give it a shot here. The pour was very lively, dumping a very rich, sediment filled bright liquid into the glass. The color was a little heavier then your typical golden yellow, some light peach tones in it, mostly due to the haze. This was such a hazy and cloudy beer, it was literally insane how much sediment there was floating around in here, it was nearly opaque from it, but enough light got through to really show off the colors very well. A beautiful three finger high head of lace formed on top. A very nice pillow of white, that hung around for what seemed like forever before settling down to just a thin film across the top which lasted for the rest of the session Deep white foamy lace was dripping all over the sides of the glass here, really thickening up as you went through. Some carbonation visible streaming up from the bottom to reinforce this as well. Now as far as Hefe's go, I have never seen one like this, I could not have imagined this looking any better, really just superb. The end of the growler was thick and chunky from so much settling down( your welcome Dan).

Smell - The aroma on this was insane. Again I have to say this was like a whole new style for me, as it opened my eyes as to what these should taste like, not the bland, light and utterly dull American version of a Hefe I am used to, this was nuts. Huge aromas coming off of this one, from the moment we unscrewed the cap. A deep rich banana flavor overtook me right away, and dominated the senses, mixed in with this were hints of vanilla, and peach, which I was clearly able to pick up right away. Some very nice notes of cloves and even a touch of vanilla were all readily picked up, and though for me it was the fresh banana that stole the show. As it warmed a little, I was starting to get those nice light notes of fresh wheat and grain mixing in now. Overall fantastic, I cannot imagine this smelling and better or any more inviting, dare I say perfect.

Taste - The flavor continued on right where the aroma left off, with one important change though, it was actually better! It is really hard to even put into words how good this was, and I am glad I am not alone in this judgment, as I am sure all who were there will attest to. This was just fantastic. Huge notes of banana and cloves come ripping right out of the gate. There was nothing harsh about this as every flavor was so intricately separate and distinct, yet at the same time, it was all effortlessly blended together. I was detecting lots of peach like notes, light fruit of various types, even hints of apricot now mingling in with the banana, which really just did not quit. There were wild grain notes weaving in and out of the profile now, giving it even more depth then it already had. Some very nice hints of vanilla now rounding it out towards the finish. The finish was nice and clean, with a touch of crispness to it. Flavor did not linger long, what did linger was a nice light fruity note, which was just outstanding and really sealed the deal for this one, at least for me. Again, I could not picture this tasting and better or any more complex then it did. I tried to describe the flavor as best I could, but to be honest, it was beyond description.

Mouthfeel - The feel on this was so light and airy. Very good profile here with not even the slightest bit of watering down or thinness to it at all. The carbonation level was top notch, in fact, it almost felt as if it was getting better as the session wore on, simply amazing. Great smooth and extremely clean feeling, this was just great. Nice finish as well, very well done.

Drinkability - Cannot imagine this getting any better here at all. I mean c'mon what was there here not too like. The flavors were intense, yet inviting, the carbonation was never dull, low ABV, well pretty much none, and a wonderful sense of smoothness. To say I could drink this forever would be about right. I could not imagine this one getting dull in anyway. Really very good.

Overall I think I have said how good this was enough here, but one more time, this was simply stated one of the best beers I have ever had, hands down. I love the bigger, intense beers we all crave, but sometimes you need something like this to bring you back to your roots, to show what can be done in the normal range, and how complex a style that can at times seem so simple and overdone, can really become. I was literally blown away by this.

4.62/5  rDev +5.7%

Got this one recently in a trade with JDV. Thanks!
There was a solid pffft when I opened the growler - always a good sign. It poured into an Erdinger Weissbier glass with about an inch of rocky, bright white foam that was pretty sticky and left solid sheets of finer bubbles clinging to the glass. Head retention was good. The beer was cloudy and gold, just as you would expect. Bright, spicy aroma of cloves hit my nose first, with banana a close second. Lighter notes of bread and lemon were present, as well as a hint of bubblegum. Citrus was more prominent in the flavour, lemon zesty, but there was still plenty of banana. Cloves were less aggressive and melded very nicely with the sweet fruity character. A bit of bubblegum and very mild bitterness lying underneath it all. Very creamy body, buttery texture, with solid carbonation that wasn't aggressive. Superb, full mouthfeel for the style. And talk about drinkable... it's no problem putting a few of these away. This is by far the best hefeweizen I've had from a US brewery - it certainly deserves any hype it gets. If this was available in my area, it would definitely be a regular pint for me.

4.92/5  rDev +12.6%

Screw-cap growler, kindly shared by BA-brother mikesgroove on 02.18.08... A huge thanks to Mike for hooking me up since he knew this was my style of preference. Let's see if this one lives up to the hype.

Dense and translucent in its hazy golden appearance. Cloudy as can be, and I am loving every minute of it. Thick, pillowy 2-inch head sat firmly atop this brew. Great lacing throughout the length of the glass. One whiff tells the story... Huge notes of freshly mowed wheat, real vanilla, and of course the standard banana and clove esthers. Smooth on the palate, the banana, vanilla, and clove flavors follow suit. I am not certin which yeast strain Live Oak used, but I am almost certain it is the quintessential strain for this style. Amazingly smooth and quaffable.

Hands down, the best domestically made Bavarian Hefeweizen with perhaps with only Sly Fox's Royal Weisse as its nearest competitor. Solid, balanced, and unGodly drinkable. Fantastic, etherial, and otherwise otherworldly. You must seek this one out.

Zum wohl!

4.35/5  rDev -0.5%

Poured golden and opaque from a growler into a Weizen glass. Thanks LonghornBrewer!

Has all the normal hefeweizen aromas, only stronger. Lots of banana and cloves, with a citrus zest akin to what you would expect from squeezing a lemon into most other hefeweizens. Taste is lots of banana and spices, with more citrus.

Much fuller bodied than any other hefeweizen I have ever had. Not quite as refreshing or as drinkable, but excellent overall. If only it could be had in bottles or on tap locally.

4.15/5  rDev -5%

Yellowish cloudy gold color and smells very strongly of clove, even more so than most hefeweizens. Taste is big clove, bubble gummy, smooth and refreshing. For the style I can tell this is well done, very flavorful and a good beer all around, but I just don't care for the typical hefeweizen tastes. If you like them though, this is a great one to try.

4.97/5  rDev +13.7%

Thanks to geuzelover for making this one happen.

This beer pours a milky gold that fades from nearly a pasty brown to gold near the edges of my weizen glass. The head is a clean eggshell film that leaves behind a bit of drippy lace. There are a lot of bubbles rising up through the glass that can barely be discerned through the cloudiness.

Smells sweet and creamy with a touch of bubble gum, cream of wheat and a citrus-less orange juice (mostly sweet with little sting) and a dry pasty creaminess. Mmmm.

Tastes of whole milk, wheat dinner rolls, banana and a touch of butter with a spritz of lemon zest and coriander making for a dry, well rounded finish.

This one has a nice, thick, full mouthfeel that compliments the milky character. Although it's thick, its refreshingly clean.

Wow. An optimal beer for dinner. It gets even better when I stop thinking about it and just tip it back. This can go toe to toe with ANYTHING from Bavaria.

4.7/5  rDev +7.6%

Thanks JDV for the opportunity to try this one also my first growler ever. Might as well start of with one of the best

Growler poured into my Ayinger Weizen Glass produced a good two fingers worth of head that settled down to a nice layer of lace on top of a cloudy apricot colored body It is a gorgeous looking Hefeweizen I wouldn't believe that a growler would keep this much carbonation

Aromas on this one is striking as well, you get wonderful banana bread in a glass type smell (bananas, cloves, Bread dough) Bubblegum as well

Yes wheat banana bread in a glass flavors as well a nice citrus bite

Mouthfeel is exceptional a little heaver than I expected for a wheat beer, nice crisp carbonation on your tongue.

Great drinking Hefeweizen I'll repeat the statements made before me I cant believe it was this good coming from a growler. Thanks again to JDV on shipping it right. If you have the fortunes to get a growler I say go for it. My new favorite Hefeweizen

4.35/5  rDev -0.5%

Poured a hazy golden with a nice white head on top. The smell on this very nice-very citrus and spice but has a little medicianl quality to it. Taste is very spcy with the cloves hitting you upfront and the banan and bubble gum flavors coming strong after the spice. Finishes clean with more spice flavor and lemon like citrus. Feels very full in the mouth-not as thin as other hefeweizens. So drinkable especially on a hot Texas day.

I've had this beer many times as I live in Austin. I feel lucky to have it so available it. Going to the Live Oak brewery is a good time as Chip the owner/brewer feels very strongly about traditional flavors especially in his hefe. Great beer and great brewery!

4.52/5  rDev +3.4%

Arrived a few hours ago from BeerZach... thanks a bunch dude!

Pours a lovely apricot at center, amber gold around the edges, a nice fluffy off-white head thats subsides to a thin film, a bit of lacing but not too much. The aroma is exquisite. The clover and banana are as obvious as they are lovely, with hints of vanilla and bubblegum. Nothing too powerful or out of its place, just about right. Excellent.

The taste, even better. Whereas I like my hefe aroma to be a little subdued, the taste has to be full, as does the mouth, and this is is a pretty full hefe. The banana comes at you seemingly even before the glass comes to mouth, citric deliciousness spreading, floating, the yeast spiciness, the clove exploring the middle, a grainy wheat husk rounding through the bend as it finishes with a lingering banana and a slight drying mouth. The mostly full body is lightened every so slightly by a shifty carbonation.

I've always wanted to visit Austin, and now I have another reason to check it out some day. As for the Live Oak Hefe, its a great beer, I'd like to give it higher marks, but the mouth didn't quite stand up, and there wasn't much lacing. But still, an excellent beer. Writing wedding thank you notes just got a whole lot more pleasant. :)

4.38/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to geuzelover for the growler. Served in my 20oz New Glarus Weizen Glass. Gotta love the right glassware for a beer. I read the BJCP style guidelines for this beer right before the review so I'd be on the correct page.

A: Dark straw body. It is very opaque. There was a bit of a white head initially, around a quarter inch, but it fell quickly. I'll blame that on it being a growler. Carbonation is visible.

S: Clove and banana are very dominant in the aroma with some lemon and wheat rounding out the bouquet. The clove is really strong and it almost has a slight smoky character but I think that's just my mind trying to interpret the cloves.

T: The wheat was more subdued in the aroma, but it's right up front in the flavor. Likewise, the powerful clove presence isn't nearly as strong in the flavor but provides a little spice to the beer and comes on a bit stronger in the aftertaste. The banana is there as well but less in the flavor than in the aftertaste which has a strong banana character. All the flavors blend nicely to create a very smooth beer.

M: The amount of carbonation is pretty surprising for a growler. It works great for the style which should be pretty highly carbonated. Tastes pretty full bodied in the beginning and middle of the taste, but as it leads to the aftertaste the body seems lighter and finishes perfectly.

D: Damn fine hefe all around. Especially considering it was from a growler.

Poured into a crystal pilsner glass - Served at cellar temperature
Growler traded to me by gueuzelover - Big thanks, now lets rock

Appearance: This beer pours a quite cloudy yellow and orange color. I would call it golden. The head hits about an inch and a quarter and is white in color. The head is heavy and unforgiving, and leaves a long trail of lace behind. Swirling creates even more lace that doesn't go anywhere. A pattern remains stationary on the crystal sides. Very nice.

Smell: Spicy clove strikes first, with some banana and fresh licorice (the cherry flavored kind). This is great. A sweet floral aroma is there, ah yes, it's lavendar. Gingerbread, banana bread and almond oil. Quite complex. This could be one of the best smelling beers I've ever laid my nose into. It starts out sweet and spicy, but with further inspection there is some minty and herbal qualities to it.

Taste: Sweet banana bread. Wow, this is a pretty viscous beer for a Hefe! Clove is a definite flavor. Others include, almond, pecan, pale malt, lemon peel, and a sprinkle of fresh ground pepper. I can say that this one is surely complex. At first I thought this one might need more sugar, but as it warms I am able to taste the sugars. Moreover, I can actually appreciate the way the beer tastes since the sugar isn't at all cloying. Highly complex and flawless thusfar.

Mouthfeel: As stated above, I can't believe the body on this beer. The sight of the haze kind of clued me in to the viscousity, but I was still a little surprised. It is very coating in the mouth and has a perfect amount of sugar and spice. Alcohol is barely noticable.

Drinkability: I am blown away by this beer. It hits on all levels. It's such a shame that this couldn't be more widely available (please bottle it). My biggest dilemna is if I should give it all fives or not. But I can't really point out any flaws in it. Moreso, what's so impressive about this beer is that these low alcohol, drinkable beers prove difficult to perfect. What makes it better is that it's meant to be consumed in mass quantities, in the heat of summer. Most of the best beers on this site are well over 6% abv. My hat goes off to Live Oak for making such a spectacular beer. I am now disappointed that this will probably be my last taste of this delicious beer for awhile. Seek this out, it's worth the effort.

3.74/5  rDev -14.4%

The New Amsterdamm in Dallas have this on tap and won't be rotating it out any time soon ordering to the barman. This one stood up to some extending tasting and definitely passes the drinkability test. A light golden colour that has the expected haze of a hefe. Aromas of vanilla and clove dominant. Less of the banana ester is present, there is a slight medicinal aroma but it is not off putting to me. Great flavour, yeast and malt - no hop but present. Quite sweet but not cloying.

3.88/5  rDev -11.2%

Thanks to Franksnbeans for allowing me to taste this one:

Pours a murky, yellowy orange color with a thick and creamy white fluffy 2 inch plus head. Leaves a little bit of lacing along the sides. Smell is of banana, cloves, spices. Taste is heavy on banana, and some orange peel. Nice crisp carbonation with a little watery texture.

4.18/5  rDev -4.3%

Pours extremely cloudy gold with a big white rocky white head that dies quick. Smells of big clove, orange peel and banana bread. Taste is ripe banana, a little clove, minor metallic character and minor spice. Refreshing in the mouth and very drinkable. A great hefe for sure.

4.89/5  rDev +11.9%

Growler sent courtesy of BeerZack. Thanks again!

Pours a cloudy, pale orange...modest head of off-white froth clings to the sides of the glass. The aroma of orange peel & cloves explodes from the growler as soon as the screw-cap comes off...I think I'm in for a treat.

Ripe banana, oranges, lemon flavors are just superb. Cloves are abundant & delicious. The wheat just goes perfectly with the fruit & spices used here.
Flavors are all very strong & prominent, certainly the most flavorful hefe I can remember trying. I'm curious as to the abv of this..around 5-6% would be my guess. That being said, it is incredibly easy to drink and I know the bold flavors kept enticing me to take another sip as soon as I put the glass down.

A remarkable beer in many aspects. Very glad I was lucky enough to be able to try it. Who do I have to talk to at the brewery to get this stuff bottled??

4.8/5  rDev +9.8%

Got a glass only because of the rating on this website. I'm not a fan of Hefe styles. Presented a faded caramel cloudy liquid with a half finger clingy head. Smells ginger zing, banana, clove, yeast, and a touch of lemon.

Tastes reserved malt sweet with smaller players of clove and esters (banana and pear) that were well rounded into each other. Citrusy notes are lemon and oranges, which I think may be from hop flavoring. Hop bitter was not detected, but could be there amid the gentle clove. Malt in the finish, but the beer cleans from the palette quite nicely. Medium smooth body and md-strong carbonation. Immensely drinkable. A truely amazing example of the style.

4.22/5  rDev -3.4%

Pours a bright golden, hazy color with a thick, bright white head.

Spicy vanilla, clove and bananna aroma's.

Tastes of spice, vanilla, bananna and grain.

Mouthfeel is grainy, spicy and slightly crisp.

Very drinkable beer. Not one of my favorite styles but this one had a little something extra. I think the aroma and taste were a bit more complex than a lot of American Heff's that I've tried.

4.05/5  rDev -7.3%

Sought out and sampled at GABF due to its very high overall rating, which is unusual for a hefe.

Pours a pale dark yellow with a good long lasting head. Aroma displays strong vanilla, some spice, and light clove. Bright banana is more evident in the flavor. Body is solidly medium and perhaps a touch full for the style. Phenolics are obviously dominate, but their flavors are not as varied and blended as the greatest weissbeers are. Overall, a very nice hefeweizen, but I think not quite as good as some of the classic german versions like Weihenstephan.

4.27/5  rDev -2.3%

Got a couple growlers courtesy of chadspivey. Who would have guessed?

Pale yellow color with a slight haze. The head is about a half-inch thick lasting for a minute or so. Yeasty banana aroma, mildly sweet with a bit of clove-like spice in the mix.

The taste is lightly bready with more yeast and phenolic notes. The sweet banana sugars appear more toward the finish. Very mild but drinkable flavors. The carbonation was moderate, probably due to the growler effect. Light and creamy mouthfeel overall.

This beer was not exceptional but it was highly drinkable. I would love to have this available on draft anytime, especially in the summer. Well done...

4.92/5  rDev +12.6%

Thanks goes out to chadspivey for this exceptional brew.

Poured into a Ayinger glass a nice cloudy golden orange/yellow color, nice carbonation, nice three finger creamy white head which lasted a little while, then left some sticky lacing. The nose is malty, nice touch of yeast, spicey, cloves, and banannas. The taste is fabulous, mostly malts, wheat, yeast, cloves, and some banannas. Nice slightly dry finish. Medium body. Very drinkable, this is an exceptional Hefe, the best I've had to date, hands down. An excellent thirst quencher for a hot day in Utah. Highly recommended.

4.24/5  rDev -3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

No limon, thank you. I had this one live at Ginger Man's.

High sweetness, nice tartness, creamy banana, wheaty goodness, medium-high fruit.

Pale straw / yellow / hint of orange. Nice haze. Mild head, poor retention.

Attack: crisp medium-high fruit, medium-high malt sweetness.
Mid: medium-high tartness and wheaty zest, creamy tart.
Finish: mildy dry and tart.
Low bitterness, mild malt. As it warms, yeasty flavors eminate and it gets sweeter.

High carbonation and medium body. Tart and numbing wheaty coolness.

Nice Hefe, pretty fresh and crisp.

4.62/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On-tap at Flying Saucer in Addison. Quality has been spotty there lately so my review may be hurt by that factor. Received in a pint glass instead of a weizen glass with no lemon. It was a nice solid hazy yellow color. Not sure how long it had sat before being delivered but still had a good head that slowly settled to a thin film. Had a ton of carbonation as well. The aroma was awesome. Tons of overripe banana, cloves and malt. Could smell this one all day. One of the best hefe smells out there. The taste was outstanding as well but had a little bit of an off quality at the end. I think that is due more to the bar quality issues and not the beer itself so didn't ding the score as much. Would love to try this again at another bar to compare. Overall, this would be in my heavy rotation if available in bottles or at a closer bar. Highly recommend. (4.5, HR, T, Y)

Live Oak HefeWeizen from Live Oak Brewing Company